Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,984 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:45 AM

Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production (63463 Views)

Fact-Check: Did Niger-Delta Avengers Have A Gun Battle With Naval Personnel? / BREAKING: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Producti / Senate Threatens To Shutdown Bet9ja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by KEVIND: 3:44pm On Jun 27, 2021
DEMANDS BY NIGER DELTA AVENGERS: PRESIDENT BUHARI’S RESPONSE

The media was Sunday awash with threats and demands by a group, Niger Delta Avengers, to embark on economic sabotage through bombing of critical oil and gas installations unless certain demands, including development of the Niger Delta, and restructuring of the Federation, were met.

It is, however, curious that the threat was coming less than 48 hours after President Muhammadu Buhari met with the leadership of the Niger Delta and Ijaw National Congress (INC), at the Presidential Villa, and the germane issues had been responded to, especially call for restructuring of the Federation, and the inauguration of a Board for the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC).

For clarity and record purposes, below is full text of the speech by President Buhari on Friday, June 25, 2021, which renders any sabre-rattling rather unnecessary:

“I warmly welcome all the Elders of the Niger Delta and particularly the National Executive of the Ijaw National Congress, under the leadership of Professor Benjamin Okaba. I thank you for paying this courtesy visit not too long after your election in April, and swearing-in last May.

“I also want to congratulate you all for your election and to add that a lot of responsibility is placed on your shoulders, especially coming from the fact that the Ijaw National Congress was almost without leadership for some time.

“As the symbol of the collective voice of the Ijaw people, which is one of Nigeria’s main ethnic groups, the existence of a focused and people oriented leadership would go a long way in articulating the demands of the Ijaw people and making sure these demands are made part of the national discourse.

“I particularly note your ten point demand to the Federal Government in your inaugural speech and assure you that this administration is frontally addressing them.

“I am equally concerned about the rate of environmental degradation in the Niger Delta and as you are aware the HydroCarbon Pollution Remediation Project has started work with remediation efforts in Ogoni land and I have directed the Minister of Environment to ensure that the projects are implemented with a high percentage of local content and inclusion of the surrounding communities.

“Similarly, the National Oil Spill Detection and Response Agency, under the same ministry of Environment is working to make sure that oil spills are reduced and new ones prevented. As you are also aware, all the responsible agencies of government have been directed to ensure that they enforce compliance by the International Oil Companies to international best practices.

“In addressing your call for immediate restructuring, the National Assembly whose responsibility it is to ensure that our constitution responds to the call for a restructured Nigeria, has already concluded regional consultations and as soon as they finalise the process, necessary action would not be delayed on my part.

“In the same vein, your call for creation of two additional states and more local government areas for the Ijaw people is a legislative matter, which should naturally be handled by the National Assembly and seeking concurrence at the state levels.

“I completely agree with your call to allocate operational licenses for marginal fields to Ijaw people. However, like you know, the process of granting licenses is guided by laid down rules and regulations, most of which even favour local content and local contractors. I see no reason why they should not be granted such licenses if they qualify.

“On the issue of fair and balanced appointments to reflect federal character principles, I re-affirm that this has always been my focus and would continue to be because I have always seen Nigeria as a country where everyone should be given equal opportunities.

“A contentious issue that has been a subject of discourse amongst the Ijaw people of recent has been the need for the Niger Delta Development Commission to live up to its billing by delivering the required succour to the people of the region. Based on the mismanagement that had previously be-devilled the NDDC, a forensic audit was set up and the result is expected by the end of July, 2021.

“I want to assure you that as soon as the forensic audit report is submitted and accepted, the NDDC Board would be inaugurated. However, I would like to implore you that the Ijaw National Congress should play a more active role in making sure that the mismanagement that occurred in the past is not repeated.

“I am particularly happy to note your call for promoting ownership of modular refineries by the Ijaw people and I will urge you to interphase with your sons who are involved in the processes of establishing these refineries, especially the Honourable Minister of State Petroleum Resources to actualize this quest.

“Like you well know, completion of the East-West Road is top on my infrastructure agenda and I will look to its speedy conclusion. Again, the occasional disturbance by youths in some communities along the route to construction work would require your close attention and guidance.

“Furthermore, we have made considerable progress with the construction of the Bonny to Port Harcourt Bridge.

“I am very happy with the recent affirmation of your belief in a United Nigeria and while I thank you for standing with me, I will also implore you to use your leverage in making sure that we keep working together to keep this country a united, indivisible entity, so that we can tackle our problems together and overcome our challenges together.

“I would like now to commend Professor Okaba for your emphasis on supporting the fight against insecurity by developing internal control mechanisms as well as working with other institutions in the country to address our current security challenges.

“While I thank you once more for this visit and I will continue to count on your support as we work towards resolving our current challenges.

“God Bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”

Femi Adesina

Special Adviser to the President

(Media and Publicity)

June 27, 2021

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4065232906902352&id=100002470489894

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by MadamVanessa(f): 3:45pm On Jun 27, 2021
Chemical reactor

186 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by Monogamy: 3:47pm On Jun 27, 2021
Osinbajo would attend to them

23 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by mariahAngel(f): 3:49pm On Jun 27, 2021
The only threat Buhari the presidency takes seriously and is are quick to address.

176 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by Fahdiga1: 3:52pm On Jun 27, 2021
If Buhari refuses to restructure the country and the Avengers refused to carry out their threats then they are cowards. Restructure the damn country

370 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by esnbrutality: 3:56pm On Jun 27, 2021
We the SS CREW
We the our "oyel" crew
We the "jonathan is daft" crew
We the "shepopotamus" crew

When the 'mannequin" talked zombies cheered and insulted IGBO people...now their "stroke afflicted brother" is issuing press statements to calm frayed nerves in the Niger delta.

This thread will die a natural death , because it isnt an IGBO bashing thread...but be rest assured that BIAFRA is here!!

IGBO people we dey una back ...gidigba!!

331 Likes 34 Shares

Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by IgweOfNnewi: 3:57pm On Jun 27, 2021
These is to show that Buhari knows the kind of people he respond to, if they it were the inconsequential dot that are constituting nuisance, Buhari will sent fierce military men and Abba kyari to restore their deficient senses

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by kayusely70(m): 4:14pm On Jun 27, 2021
Let's wait and see how it goes.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by MANDIPUTIN: 4:14pm On Jun 27, 2021
IgweOfNnewi:
These is to show that Buhari knows the kind of people he respond to, if they it were the inconsequential dot that are constituting nuisance, Buhari will sent fierce military men and Abba kyari to restore their deficient senses

I thought Buhari was the new sheriff in town that bow to no threat. Is Buhari now scared of Militants?

188 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by ejanla077: 4:17pm On Jun 27, 2021
IgweOfNnewi:

Yet he was so pained to call them dot

106 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by greatdreamer(m): 4:32pm On Jun 27, 2021
The only region in the South that can humble the proud Hausa/ Fulani Jihadists is the Niger Delta. We have the cure for their madness. We have spoken and they have understood the language. If they don't, our actions will Interpret it

94 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by OBALOLA55(m): 4:33pm On Jun 27, 2021
Fahdiga1:
If Buhari refuses to restructure the country and the Avengers refused to carry out their threats then they are cowards. Restructure the damn country
GBAM!

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jun 27, 2021
IgweOfNnewi:
English you can't speak, common sense you don't have, mugu. I can't believe a human being can birth such a useless retard.

186 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by CharleyBright(m): 5:00pm On Jun 27, 2021
Ok

1 Like

Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by IgweOfNnewi: 5:15pm On Jun 27, 2021
esnbrutality:
You are truly shallow...a monkey is still better exposed than you. You are already crying as a known certified zombie
Change to "obiofonitsha" moniker...i still dey wait for you..... angry angry angry angry angry

Don't be insolence your father deserve better

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by Samfloxin(m): 5:17pm On Jun 27, 2021
This country is heavily pregnant. No man born of woman can tell what she will put to bed from now till 2023

19 Likes

Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by Prolificgiant(m): 5:22pm On Jun 27, 2021
Make una dey calm down, check my signature
Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by KingOKON: 5:23pm On Jun 27, 2021
esnbrutality:
We the SS CREW
We the our "oyel" crew

When the 'mannequin" talked zombies cheered and insulted IGBO people...now their "stroke afflicted brother" is issuing press statements to calm frayed nerves in the Niger delta.

This thread will die a natural death , because it isnt an IGBO bashing thread...but be rest assured that BIAFRA is here!!

KANU really trained you well in every department of stupidity

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by Isobug: 5:24pm On Jun 27, 2021
U
Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by AfonjaConehead: 5:27pm On Jun 27, 2021
IgweOfNnewi:
These is to show that Buhari knows the kind of people he respond to, if they it were the inconsequential dot that are constituting nuisance, Buhari will sent
fierce military men and Abba kyari to restore their deficient senses

...buhari will sent ...

What an illiterate!!!!
Just imagine a giant illiterate talking about deficient senses!!!!
grin grin grin grin

Lzaa Imhotep

86 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by mytime24(f): 5:37pm On Jun 27, 2021
buhari presidency no dey use ear hear oil, even though na groundnut oiL

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jun 27, 2021
IgweOfNnewi:
my father deserves respect even if it for sowing a seed as useless and retarded as me, he doesn't deserve such an outlandish description
grin

6 Likes

Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jun 27, 2021
IgweOfNnewi:
Don't be insolence your father deserve better
grin

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by Evaloyal2J(f): 5:50pm On Jun 27, 2021
mytime24:
buhari presidency no dey use ear hear oil, even though na groundnut oiL
where else will he get the money to pay back the trillion dollars loans from IMF and china? The Niger Deltas are being used.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by OKPANAMboy: 5:52pm On Jun 27, 2021
esnbrutality:
We the SS CREW
We the our "oyel" crew

Nwanne Igadi.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by mytime24(f): 5:57pm On Jun 27, 2021
Evaloyal2J:
where else will he get the money the pay back the trillion dollars loans from IMF and china? The Niger Deltas are being used.
bt i tink say buhari send expatriate to discover oil for north na cheesy grin

Abi na Lori iro discovering cheesy

9 Likes

Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jun 27, 2021
Abeg bubu should speak the language the militants understand...

Delay is dangerous

9 Likes

Re: Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production by favour32(m): 6:04pm On Jun 27, 2021
esnbrutality:
Instead of educating you ...a monkey stands a better chance at having common sense....

It is a waste of time to educate the foolish herdsman.

29 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Philip Walton: US Thanks Nigeria For Support As SEAL Team 6 Rescues Hostage / Fayose Stops To Buy Bread And Beans Along The Road / Soldiers Shooting Into Civilians' Homes (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.