Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,441 members, 7,853,913 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 07:57 AM

Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp (900 Views)

Bayelsa Guber: Alaibe Makes Last-minute Move To Defect To PDP / Suswam’s Deputy, Lawani, Aondoakaa , Others Set To Defect To APC In Benue / 120 Atiku Support Groups Set To Defect To PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by zstranger: 1:39am On May 09, 2011
HEAVY pressure is being mounted on returning members of the Action Congress of Nigeria in the House of Representatives from the South-West to defect to the Peoples Democratic Party.

Investigations showed that this pressure is coming from some powerful stalwarts of the PDP in the South West who want to shore up the numerical strength of the PDP House members from the zone in a bid to enhance the zone’s chances of retaining the seat of the Speaker of the House.

At the moment, there are three PDP House members from the zone in the House, namely, Ajibola Muraina, Mulikat Adeola and Odebunmi Dokun.

The development came as politicians from the South-East and the South-West spent the weekend lobbying to clinch the number four position in the country.

Already, the Chief Whip of the House, Mr. Emeka Ihedioha; the Chairman of the House Committee on Aviation, Mr. Bethel Amadi; the Chairman of the Committee on Climate Change, Mr. Ezuiche Ubani; and the Chairman of the Committee on Banking/Currency, Mr. Ogbuefi Ozomgbachi, have expressed their desire to be the next speaker. They are all from the South-East.

Another likely candidate from the South-East, the Chairman of the House Committee on Marine Transport, Mr. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, is said to enjoy the support of many lawmakers, though he has not declared his intention to vie for the seat.

Muraina, a lawyer and protégé of former President Olusegun, is said to be the favourite of some power brokers to get the seat among the three PDP members from the South-West.

Muraina came to the House in 2007, the same time as Adeola. Dokun is a new member. The three are from Oyo State.

Adeola, a lawyer was reported to have told to some of her colleagues that she was as qualified as Muraina to clinch the seat, wondering why her name was hardly mentioned in the calculations.

It was learnt on Sunday that some PDP power brokers in the South-West were using their contacts within and outside the National Assembly to persuade the ACN members to defect and contest to become the Speaker of the House.

A source in the National Assembly said, “It is no longer hidden that some forces in the zone are fighting to retain the position of the Speaker.

“This was a pre-election understanding but the poor performance of the PDP has led to the negligible number of its members in the House.

“The defection idea is to increase the number of PDP members in the House from the zone and also to enhance the zone’s chances of retaining the Speaker’s seat.

“Those being wooed are also being reminded of the fact that they stand a chance of becoming the Speaker.”

Findings indicated that besides raising the number of PDP members, the defection idea was to widen the choices of candidates, besides Muraina and Adeola, should the seat be retained in the zone.

It was learnt that some key members of the ACN from the zone had allegedly agreed to serve as “contact points” the defection proposal.

Two lawmakers from the zone confided in The PUNCH in Abuja that they had been approached to defect to the PDP.

One of them said, “They have been bombarding me with telephone calls.

“But, this is a dicey situation; they say they are looking for at least 10 members (defectors).

“This is not the type of decision you wake up one day and say, I accept.”

However, another lawmaker and a third-timer, dismissed the proposal as “an impossibility.”

The lawmaker argued that the ACN would oppose any plan to sacrifice its membership on the altar of helping the PDP to retain the seat of the speaker in the South-West.

The lawmaker added, “The odds will be against any ACN member who accepts to defect.

“The member will surely face a hostile home front because it will be considered a betrayal of trust.

“Besides, the governors in the zone now are of the ACN apart from one (Ondo State). The proposal will not work.”

A separate account said that rather than losing its members to the PDP, the ACN caucus in the House might offer its bloc vote to any PDP candidate from the zone, who would contest for the position of Speaker.

Asked to comment on the issue, the Minority Leader of the House, Mr. Femi Gbajabiamila (ACN, Lagos State), said that no ACN member would defect to the PDP, no matter the pressure.

He said, “Nobody in ACN is going anywhere; they must be kidding. We are intact. “There is nothing like that; it will not happen.

“What I do know is that the House will produce the Speaker that it wants, zoning or no zoning.

“They can zone it to anywhere; our concern is that the House will elect a Speaker that members want.”

According to Gbajabiamila, the House may elect a Speaker who is not “even in the calculations right now.”

But, a source close to the ACN lawmakers claimed that the minority leader was “economical with the truth.”

He said, “There has been pressure on ACN lawmakers; as a matter of fact, they have used the position of speaker and deputy speaker to woo them in the hope to secure one of the positions for the zone.

“In the course of the discussions, a member was offered the position of deputy speaker as an alternative, should the zone fail to secure the speakership.”
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by zstranger: 1:39am On May 09, 2011
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by zstranger: 1:41am On May 09, 2011
I support any plan to keep the speakership position in the SW

Even if an ACN has to defect to PDP and maybe defect back to ACN in 2015

We cant afford to lose that spot
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by ektbear: 1:44am On May 09, 2011
Of what relevance is this position? How has it benefited the SW in the past?

Let the PDP SW and OBJ fight for it. If they succeed, fine. If they fail, no wahala.

Isn't an ACN affair
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by ektbear: 1:50am On May 09, 2011
Worst case, we lose the speakership but ask for something else to compensate. Wouldn't you prefer Ibadan-Lagos road to be modernized over the speaker position?

I don't want us to have the speaker position if it means no actual tangible benefits, just some PDP Yorubaman lining his pockets
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by zstranger: 1:53am On May 09, 2011
ekt_bear:

Of what relevance is this position? How has it benefited the SW in the past?

Let the PDP SW and OBJ fight for it. If they succeed, fine. If they fail, no wahala.

Isn't an ACN affair

But I think it is better for the image of the country to have all the big tribes well represented in the top six positions of government. Not having a Yoruba represented sends a wrong message to the outside world and to the other groups. We, if care is not taken, might be alienated from decision making in the long run, making it more difficult to actually mount a formidable campaign for the presidency

We should not be seen as anti-Nigeria or solely pro-Yorubas alone
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by ektbear: 1:58am On May 09, 2011
What?

There is ACN SW, there is PDP SW.

If the PDP decides to punish PDP SW and take away the position that is supposed to be theirs, then it is the PDP to blame.

You are right, there is a wrong message being sent. . . but it isn't going to be us to blame. But the PDP national.
zstranger:

This isn't a Yoruba affair. This is a PDP affair. If the PDP decides to take from the PDP SW what was previously agreed on, how is Yorubaland to blame? We have no say in the matter.
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by Nobody: 2:02am On May 09, 2011
Tribal politics will wipe Yorubas off the face of this earth one day.

From PDP to ACN, and back to PDP.

Retrogressive 'progressives' indeed.

WTF, what's even the meaning of that rubbish word 'progressives'?

I dey laugh o. grin
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by ektbear: 2:12am On May 09, 2011
Wouldn't be surprised if the ACN is rooting for PDP SW to lose the speakership. You can then use that loss to force GEJ to give you something that actually benefits the region.

I don't want the SW region to blow its political capital on things that aren't useful, that are more for show.

If OBJ can take retain it while only expending his own political capital, fine. But spending SW capital? Not a fan of that. We'll need it for other projects over the next few years. . .
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by zstranger: 2:18am On May 09, 2011
ekt_bear:

What?

There is ACN SW, there is PDP SW.

If the PDP decides to punish PDP SW and take away the position that is supposed to be theirs, then it is the PDP to blame.

You are right, there is a wrong message being sent. . . but it isn't going to be us to blame. But the PDP national.This isn't a Yoruba affair. This is a PDP affair. If the PDP decides to take from the PDP SW what was previously agreed on, how is Yorubaland to blame? We have no say in the matter.

But you have to look at it from PDP's point?
They have no returning PDP member with enough clout and rank to be the speaker, it seems

It would be stupiddd of the PDP to give that slot to the SW WRT how badly they did in 'our' region. And, in order to have an all inclusive government, they do need Yorubas, ACN so be specific, to meet them halfway.

Sometimes, I wonder if we are not shooting ourselves in the leg with this bloc voting shitz

Developmental wise, it makes sense, but in the long run and WRT the presidency, we just might not be able to mount a formidable campaign for it. Even if the election were credible, getting others to vote for us would be herculean.

I just dont know how we can do it. If we lose Ribadu, lose Ngige which is very likely, and have no non-Yoruba in ACN, we will be effectively sidelined to the amusement of our adversaries.

The point here is that novel ideas is not the forte of the Yorubas alone. We still need the money from the center and the trust of the others in this union. If the North and the Igbos and the SS take over the machinery of the PDP, it can only spell doom for us.

Anyway, I really dont trust the leadership of the ACN. They dont seem to know exactly how to move us forward.
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by zstranger: 2:19am On May 09, 2011
ekt_bear:

Wouldn't be surprised if the ACN is rooting for PDP SW to lose the speakership. You can then use that loss to force GEJ to give you something that actually benefits the region.

I don't want the SW region to blow its political capital on things that aren't useful, that are more for show.

If OBJ can take retain it while only expending his own political capital, fine. But spending SW capital? Not a fan of that. We'll need it for other projects over the next few years. . .

Like what?
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by ektbear: 2:29am On May 09, 2011
zstranger:

But you have to look at it from PDP's point?
They have no returning PDP member with enough clout and rank to be the speaker, it seems
They have 3 returning PDP SW guys or so, I thought? Maybe 5

It would be stupiddd of the PDP to give that slot to the SW WRT how badly they did in 'our' region. And, in order to have an all inclusive government, they do need Yorubas, ACN so be specific, to meet them halfway.
Who said they did badly? Not for presidential

Sometimes, I wonder if we are not shooting ourselves in the leg with this bloc voting shitz

Developmental wise, it makes sense, but in the long run and WRT the presidency, we just might not be able to mount a formidable campaign for it. Even if the election were credible, getting others to vote for us would be herculean.
Based on what? Look, bleep the presidency, I want the SW to be strong. Allocations + good governance is good enough for that. Of what use is entering the PDP and your region stagnating?

I just dont know how we can do it. If we lose Ribadu, lose Ngige which is very likely, and have no non-Yoruba in ACN, we will be effectively sidelined to the amusement of our adversaries.
Who told you Ribadu and Ngige are leaving the ACN? At your latter statement, you are viewing things too much through a 1960s lens. We aren't back in the 1960s where the North+SS+SE can just form a government to our exclusion. At the very least, the eyes of the world are watching. And there are too many competing factions in the PDP anyways.

The point here is that novel ideas is not the forte of the Yorubas alone. We still need the money from the center and the trust of the others in this union. If the North and the Igbos and the SS take over the machinery of the PDP, it can only spell doom for us.
How will they deny us this money? Our federal allocations are intact, yes?

Anyway, I really dont trust the leadership of the ACN. They dont seem to know exactly how to move us forward.
We shall see. . . I think their strategy is sound.
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by ektbear: 2:31am On May 09, 2011
zstranger:

Like what?

It'll take political capital to get the FG to fix or hand over the federal roads in the SW, for one.
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by ektbear: 2:35am On May 09, 2011
Zstranger, our priority list looks like this:

1. Power
2. Fix roads, rail
3. Agric
4. healthcare, potable water

In what way is not retaining the speakership/being strong in the PDP going to affect the above four items? How is the speakership comparable to ANY of the above?

How will not being in the PDP materially hurt us?

GEJ doesn't look like a vindictive sort of guy, who will sabatoge our progress. Besides, he has too much on his plate to deal with even if he did. . . OBJ, NW, NC, NE, SS, and SE riding his back.
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by zstranger: 2:53am On May 09, 2011
ekt_bear:

They have 3 returning PDP SW guys or so, I thought? Maybe 5
Who said they did badly? Not for presidential
Based on what? Look, bleep the presidency, I want the SW to be strong. Allocations + good governance is good enough for that. Of what use is entering the PDP and your region stagnating?
Who told you Ribadu and Ngige are leaving the ACN? At your latter statement, you are viewing things too much through a 1960s lens. We aren't back in the 1960s where the North+SS+SE can just form a government to our exclusion. At the very least, the eyes of the world are watching. And there are too many competing factions in the PDP anyways.
How will they deny us this money? Our federal allocations are intact, yes?
We shall see. . . I think their strategy is sound.

There is alot of reason ACN needs to in a way join the PDP. It seems like our first 11 arent in the PDP, they are elsewhere, ACN and LP. As long as the PDP continues to be the dominant party, we will continue to lag behind WRT federal projects and revenue.  Revenue in this sense has nothing to do with statutory monthly allocations from the sale of oil, but revenue WRT to wealth creation. Where is the next Otedola, Mike Adenuga, Abiola, Jimoh Ibrahim, Fola Adeola etal going to come from?

These are the real wealth creators, not your UI, OAU etc. Having GLO in the SW is of huge benefit to the SW, which would not have been possible if Adenuga wasnt close to IBB/OBJ et al

Also, in terms of policy, currently we have the best brains in Nigeria, and if our so called best 11s arent in the PDP, bad policy from the others will eventually hurt us all. It reminds me of  Garreth Hardins' The tragedy of the commons,  " a dilemma arising from the situation in which multiple individuals, acting independently and rationally consulting their own self-interest, will ultimately deplete a shared limited resource even when it is clear that it is not in anyone's long-term interest for this to happen. If you apply that concept to Nigeria's politics,  a section of the country, ACN/SW, not contributing her quota to the betterment of everyone will eventually lead to formulation of bad policies that will hurt us all, SW included. After all, we are still part of the whole.

What will happen is that in the short term, we may do better than the rest, but the net migration that will ensue into the SW as a result will be beyond what we can handle. It is on record today, that OBJ would never have emerged as the PDP flag bearer if Afenifere had not walked out on the meeting convened by Ekwueme in 1998. If we had stayed, a better candidate from the south, Ige/Falae/Ekwueme/ Adesanya/ or one of the Awoists, would have emerged.

Because of that lack of foresight on the part of the so called "progressives' then, this is where we are now. We have not represented ourselves well. From OBJ to GEJ, the south has proven herself, at least from an outsider's POV, to not be better than the so called backward North. We should not allow this to happen again.

The ACN/ SW can get into the PDP en masse, with long term look of course, and then become the ideological arm of the PDP, taking control of the PDP from within. This strategy, not the we-are-better-and-and-smarter-than-you-approach, is the way to go, if we want to remain part of the federation for the long haul
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by ektbear: 3:02am On May 09, 2011
^-- ACN is probably working with the PDP one way or another. I suspect that they are playing a cloak and dagger sort of game. These rumors of the ministerial slots promised to Tinubu and the strange inaction of the ACN in the SW when GEJ ran for office I think tells a lot.

We won't be cheated out of what is our due at the federal level. . . ACN is playing the game more cleverly than we've played the game in the past, I think.
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by zstranger: 3:03am On May 09, 2011
ekt_bear:

Zstranger, our priority list looks like this:
1. Power
2. Fix roads, rail
3. Agric
4. healthcare, potable water
In what way is not retaining the speakership/being strong in the PDP going to affect the above four items? How is the speakership comparable to ANY of the above?
How will not being in the PDP materially hurt us?
GEJ doesn't look like a vindictive sort of guy, who will sabatoge our progress. Besides, he has too much on his plate to deal with even if he did. . . OBJ, NW, NC, NE, SS, and SE riding his back.

How do you make your case for all you listed above if you are shut out meetings where those decisions are taking place?

Lagos-Ibadan road has been neglected now for how many years, even when OBJ was presido, nothing was done per se. na so so promise we got from him. Even the Ooni got him to make the promise to us at his palace, still nothing. Do you think our present situation WRT to the present make up of the government would help or hinder our case?
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by zstranger: 3:05am On May 09, 2011
ekt_bear:

^-- ACN is probably working with the PDP one way or another. I suspect that they are playing a cloak and dagger sort of game. These rumors of the ministerial slots promised to Tinubu and the strange inaction of the ACN in the SW when GEJ ran for office I think tells a lot.

We won't be cheated out of what is our due at the federal level. . . ACN is playing the game more cleverly than we've played the game in the past, I think.

You seem to have a lot of confidence in Tinubu's ability.

I wouldnt trust Bisi Akande though, the guy is just too stupiddd to know what is good for himself
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by ektbear: 3:12am On May 09, 2011
zstranger:

How do you make your case for all you listed above if you are shut out meetings where those decisions are taking place?

Lagos-Ibadan road has been neglected now for how many years, our present situation WRT to the present make up of the government would help or hinder our case?

Well, almost all of those items benefit Nigeria just as much as they do the SW. For example, the lack of roads/rail in the SW probably hurts the North far more than it hurts us. It essentially increases the distance between them and the rest of the world.

So I think you can get people to support many of these things purely for selfish interest. . . for the same reason I as an Ekiti man want good roads/rail linking me to Lagos, someone from Abuja, Kaduna, Kano, and Borno should want the same (at least, if they have sense in their heads.)

zstranger:

You seem to have a lot of confidence in Tinubu's ability.
Tinubu seems sharper than most other naija politicians I've seen. I cannot vouch for his honestly or lack of corruption though, lol. But there is something to be said for intelligence.

I wouldnt trust Bisi Akande though, the guy is just too stupiddd to know what is good for himself
Hehe. Why do you say this? I dunno much about the guy. Anyway, we have enough brains in the ACN and SW. . . main thing is to have an open environment for the best ideas to come forward.
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by zstranger: 3:16am On May 09, 2011
ekt_bear:

Well, almost all of those items benefit Nigeria just as much as they do the SW. For example, the lack of roads/rail in the SW probably hurts the North far more than it hurts us. It essentially increases the distance between them and the rest of the world.

So I think you can get people to support many of these things purely for selfish interest. . . for the same reason I as an Ekiti man want good roads/rail linking me to Lagos, someone from Abuja, Kaduna, Kano, and Borno should want the same (at least, if they have sense in their heads.)
Tinubu seems sharper than most other naija politicians I've seen. I cannot vouch for his honestly or lack of corruption though, lol. But there is something to be said for intelligence.
Hehe. Why do you say this? I dunno much about the guy. Anyway, we have enough brains in the ACN and SW. . . main thing is to have an open environment for the best ideas to come forward.

He was my Governor in osun State, from 1999-2003. Lets just say, we were glad he wasnt re-elected for a second term in 2003.

You think OGD is bad? Bisi Akande was worse.
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by ektbear: 3:55am On May 09, 2011
^-- I mean, read this:

It was also gathered that outgoing senator, Olorunimbe Mamora and another Action Congress of Nigeria senator, Ganiyu Solomon are already lobbying their party senators and their leader, Bola Tinubu to support Mr. Mark. In exchange for their support, Mr Mark has reportedly promised the ACN senators some committee positions, the source further claimed.
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Politics/5698665-146/jonathan_approves_power_sharing_deal_.csp

Is this not the best of both worlds? How can anyone possibly criticize the ACN strategy? You get to have your cake and eat it. What could be sweeter than that? We lose nothing at the center, but will gain the benefits of having decentralized power.

The PDP is not a unified, centralized party. They have no ideology. It is just a loose alliance of thieves. Is it not better to establish your own identity and then horse-trade with the band of thieves as necessary?
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by mensdept: 5:52am On May 09, 2011
Sounds like this Speaker and Senate President shyt is all distracting. Like someone alreay said, what will Speaker of the House do for Yoruba people? Is the Speaker a speaker of Oyo State or the National Assembly? Is the Speaker not the first among equals?

When Bankole was speaker for 4 years (when his counterparts have 2 year terms in yankee), what did he do to make himself the best Speaker Africa had seen? What did he do for the South, or the Western parts, or even his home state? Did he bring constant electricity or modern airport equipment or improve the universities? What did his collegues in the House say about him?

Well, the people in his zone said hell no, we want ACN, and booted him out.

You'll find that many instances, those areas that are working well in the country are run not by Federal initiative, but credible local leadership (i.e. Fashola, Chime, Imo Airport completion, ct.)
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by ziccoit: 7:27am On May 09, 2011
No ACN rep will want to commit a premature political suicide. It can never happen from SW ACN. You people think these people are bread and butter politicians?

To hell with speaker-ship position. What were the contributions of Dimeji Bankole to the betterment of Nigerian masses conditions, not to mention that of SWners? He is yet to answer the corruption allegations leveled against him.

The SWner Politicians of AG descendant I know don't play that kind of rough game. Forget it guys.
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by ziccoit: 7:55am On May 09, 2011
zstranger:

I support any plan to keep the speakership position in the SW

Even if an ACN has to defect to PDP and maybe defect back to ACN in 2015

We cant afford to lose that spot

Why do they need to do a change of name before a speaker-ship post could be given to them? Are you calling for a one party system? A government without opposition party. Can you defend the highlighted.

zstranger:

But I think it is better for the image of the country to have all the big tribes well represented in the top six positions of government. Not having a Yoruba represented sends a wrong message to the outside world and to the other groups. We, if care is not taken, might be alienated from decision making in the long run, making it more difficult to actually mount a formidable campaign for the presidency

What kind of image laundering and representation are you talking about? An image of corruption and nonperforming government? Do you remembered what happened to chief Bola Ige as power minister where he failed and fell like a pack of card? As a minister of justice the guy was the opposite of what he understood to represent.

You can never perform under a failed system. PDP is a failed system. ACN is better remain in the party rather than going into GNU or defecting to PDP which would be a calamity of this century.

zstranger:

He was my Governor in osun State, from 1999-2003. Lets just say, we were glad he wasnt re-elected for a second term in 2003.

@zstranger, are you really a stranger? Pls where do you stay? The highlighted is a blatant lie and a misrepresentation of the truth. Are you truly living in SW. BISI AKANDE is the best thing that has ever happened to Osun State since her creation. You have to bring facts to support your claim and I bet you will find none.

BISI AKANDE achievements in the state remained monumental in Osun State.
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by mbulela: 9:45am On May 09, 2011
zstranger:

How can you make such a comment?
It is so untrue that it is painful.
Fo a start Bisi Akande is a morraly upright man and one of the few Nigrian politicians that is known to be not corrupt.
you can accuse him of being old school and a bit slow but comparing him to OGD is a horrible injustice.
it is like comparing night and day.
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by zstranger: 11:05am On May 09, 2011
ziccoit:

@zstranger, are you really a stranger?  Pls where do you stay? The highlighted is a blatant lie and a misrepresentation of the truth. Are you truly living in SW. BISI AKANDE is the best thing that has ever happened to Osun State since her creation. You have to bring facts to support your claim and I bet you will find none.

BISI AKANDE achievements in the state remained monumental in Osun State.   
mbulela:

How can you make such a comment?
It is so untrue that it is painful.
Fo a start Bisi Akande is a morraly upright man and one of the few Nigrian politicians that is known to be not corrupt.
you can accuse him of being old school and a bit slow but comparing him to OGD is a horrible injustice.
it is like comparing night and day.

Even though I take issue with many of your points. I find this to be most interesting.

For starters, did you read about Bisa Akande or did you actually live in Osun State when he was Governor?

Let me tell you, I lived through his reign as governor of Osun-State, and anyone who lived through it would tell you that he was the worst governor in the SW circe 1999-2003.

Besides building the new state house,  that should not have cost nothing more than 100 million naira,  for N 1 Billion , mention one other thing he did as governor?
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by Gbawe: 11:12am On May 09, 2011
I can only conclude that , like Monopoly money , some folks like playing 'fantasy' politics . The Speaker of the House of rep , given what we all saw under Bankole for the past 4 years, should not be on the lips of any Yoruba person concerned more with real development on the ground than with 'fantasy' politics where , like monopoly money ,  certain things look good but have little or no bearing on what really matters.

I am comfortable with any zone producing the Speaker of the lower house. After all he will be a Nigerian. What should matter above all considerations is that we gain pro-people leaders for our legislative arm who will lobby aggressively for the passage of bills that can transform Nigeria rapidly . We should now , with all we have seen in the past, be above clamouring for the empty prestige, only good for chest thumping, that come with producing Legislative leaders when those leaders (eg Bankole) may not be beneficial to Nigeria let alone the SW.
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by mogentle(m): 1:21pm On May 09, 2011
@zstranger, i will not want you to allow emotion to overun your points.
FYI, Bisi Akande' achievement in Osun are so obvious and many. I grew up in Osun State and my mum was a civil servant in Gov office complex, Osogbo.
Though he has his own faults as a human being(i think he was too conservative), but in terms of achievements, you are not being fair by comparing him to OGD.
Thank God you mentioned the New Secretariat, I dont have figures but the Man saved a lot of cost as a result of direct labour approach.
If you truly live in Osogbo,

Who dualised Odi-olowo-Oke fia road? who upgraded Osogbo general hospital to Lautech teaching Hospital with solid and up to date equipment and construction of many additional buildings to befit the new status? Who constructed most of the roads that lead to villages and farms where agricultural products used to come from?
Have u forgotten his Programme "Labe odan" when he used to visit every community, ask for what they need and adress the progress of any ongoing project in such community? He did not give out many contracts(preferring Direct Labour which saves cost)etc.

The perceived Bad Side
He was fighting his Deputy, Chris Omisore over some undisclosed issues.
He retrenched workers(30 years of service & above) and paid their entitlements.
He wanted more of Science and Technical Schools, so some non science teachers were laid off and he was deducting some percentage(though tiny, but counts) of workers salary to fund some projects. This was where his problem started. The opposition used this as avenue for campaign against him and b4 you know it He was voted out.
I think doing things in the way he understands best was what finished him then. But He was not obviously Corrupt.
Re: Speakership: Acn Reps Under Pressure To Defect To Pdp by Dotman01(m): 3:22pm On May 09, 2011
to be honest. . . i dnt see any reason why we should be clamouring for d speakership positn. . . .When bankole was there wat did he do?. . . And again the pdp have 5 house members nw contratry to wat was reported in dis news. . .They can easily pick frm them nw. . . abi 5 neva reach to pick frm?

(1) (Reply)

Anambra Is The Most Difficult State – Governor Peter Obi / Kwankwaso’s Security Outfit Keeps Tongues Wagging In Kano / Edit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.