Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,288 members, 7,815,494 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:21 PM

Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth (5063 Views)

This Is Where We Live In The Solar System (photo) / The World We Live In Is A Funny Place / Man Launches Himself In Self-made Rocket To Prove Flat Earth Theory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by etzskillz(m): 5:13am On Jul 03, 2021
Good morning everyone, me and a friend of mine were arguing if we live on earth or we live inside earth. Can the scholars in the house help us shed more light on this?
Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by Nobody: 5:44am On Jul 03, 2021
For you to know which is correct, you have to know the origin and the meaning of the word 'earth'.

It is only after you have come to know the meaning of the name 'earth' that you will then appreciate the answer that I am about to give.

Now, there is something special about the name of the planet, Earth... It is so unique in the sense that it is the only planet that is not named after a Greek/Roman god or deity.

The name, Earth, comes from the Anglo-Saxon(that's pretty much old English) word erda and erda means 'ground' or 'soil'.

So, going by the above you will agree with me that it wouldn't make any sense if you said: I live inside the Earth... that would automatically translate to I live inside the ground or something like I live inside the soil, which really sounds ridiculous. Is that person an earthworm

As long as you live on the Earth's surface, then you can't say otherwise. It is that simple.

So, the answer: I live on Earth is absolutely correct.

I hope you get my point.

62 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by EmptyGarden(m): 5:45am On Jul 03, 2021
I once had this confusion, but I had to read my way out of it... 'cause we didn't have the internet or google then... And I was barely 10 years old.
Now you have both.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by Akakanfirstclass(m): 6:17am On Jul 03, 2021
To answer your question, we live in both..

The dead lives inside earth..
The living lives on earth..

While Buhari lives under the earth...
That man is so backward

41 Likes

Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by silibaba: 6:41am On Jul 03, 2021
If you live inside the earth, then you won't be able to see the sun, the moon, the stars, the mountain and the river.

6 Likes

Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by Nobody: 6:51am On Jul 03, 2021
See wetin grammar dey cause....
No, we live AT the earth.

1 Like

Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by illicit(m): 7:18am On Jul 03, 2021
We live in planet Earth

We live on Earth

Depends on context

11 Likes

Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by chucks185: 7:36am On Jul 03, 2021
Both are correct depending on the idea you want to convey.
If you say you live in earth, that means you are including the earth atmosphere.

But if you say you live on earth, you are not
Including the atmosphere as It's part

2 Likes

Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by Nitong(f): 7:37am On Jul 03, 2021
Africans leave inside earth and that explains our hardship.

The other continents live on Earth and that's why their living is more convenient

3 Likes

Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by ictjobber: 7:50am On Jul 03, 2021
etzskillz:
Good morning everyone, me and a friend of mine were arguing if we live on earth or we live inside earth. Can the scholars in the house help us shed more light on this?

Y'all must be teenagers. I remember having this same argument in junior secondary school grin grin.

We live on Earth

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by Rickmann: 7:56am On Jul 03, 2021
etzskillz:

Inside earth is 'beneath the ground', so we live 'on top', basically..except you have a bunker or somthing grin

1 Like

Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by chucks185: 8:10am On Jul 03, 2021
Rickmann:

Inside earth is 'beneath the ground', so we live 'on top', basically..except you have a bunker or somthing grin
you need to broaden your understanding of the earth
Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by waynetee(m): 8:14am On Jul 03, 2021
We live on Earth, funniest part is some countries are located opposite to each other.. the gravitational pull draws us to the earth and doesn't allow us to fall off

2 Likes

Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by Nobody: 8:37am On Jul 03, 2021
etzskillz:

English comprehension challenge.

Buy a dictionary
Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by BigDawsNet: 8:38am On Jul 03, 2021
Earth is a planet, we reside inside...

We can leave the earth with a rocket

1 Like

Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by phemmyfour: 8:57am On Jul 03, 2021
etzskillz:
We are on the surface of the earth
Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by Airwavez: 8:59am On Jul 03, 2021
cool

We live on the surface of Earth...

And that's fact
Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by SenatePresdo(m): 9:00am On Jul 03, 2021
mansakhalifa:
For you to know which is correct, you have to know the origin and the meaning of the word 'earth'.

It is only after you have come to know the meaning of the name 'earth' that you will then appreciate the answer that I am about to give.

Now, there is something special about the name of the planet, Earth... It is so unique in the sense that it is the only planet that is not named after a Greek/Roman god or deity.

The name, Earth, comes from the Anglo-Saxon(that's pretty much old English) word erda and erda means 'ground' or 'soil'.

So, going by the above you will agree with me that it wouldn't make any sense if you said: I live inside the Earth... that would automatically translate to I live inside the ground or something like I live inside the soil, which really sounds ridiculous. Is that person an earthworm

So, simple answer: I live on Earth is absolutely correct.

I hope you get my point.

If you equate the Earth as Soil or ground alone, then what are we going to call the oceanic body? Are they not part of Earth?
Maybe we can call the oceanic body on Earth Jupiter cool .

Earth doesn't only mean "Soil" or "Land".

Out entire planet is called Earth. Both the hydrosphere, stratosphere, and lithosphere.

So our Earth doesn't begin from the ground or Land (lithosphere).

It begins from above 50km above the Earth's Surface (stratosphere).

Assuming you're visiting The Earth, let's say from Jupiter, it's not Until you reach the ground before you know you have arrived Earth, once you enter our Oribit, my bro you are on Earth.

So in that case, I think we live inside Earth. We would only say we live on Earth if we live on the Earths orbit.

I stand to be corrected.

2 Likes

Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by SenatePresdo(m): 9:11am On Jul 03, 2021
illicit:
We live in planet Earth

We live on Earth

Depends on context

Exactly, it depends on the Earth being talked about.

Our planet is called Earth, the land we are standing on is also called Earth.

It depends on the one OP and his friends were arguing about. But I know it's most likely gonna be planet Earth they were arguing about.

3 Likes

Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by beautyhd: 9:46am On Jul 03, 2021
We live around the earth.
Qed
Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by Rickmann: 10:17am On Jul 03, 2021
chucks185:
you need to broaden your understanding of the earth

I only butresses wat op said..its just basic knowledge Oga. No one is talking about going deep into the subject cos that's a different thing entirely...anyone who did basic geography and understood it, would answer his question..period.
Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by esky158(m): 10:45am On Jul 03, 2021
Just asking if we live on the earth how come we no the see other planet as they the move
Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by HONESTFACT101(m): 10:49am On Jul 03, 2021
we both leave in and on planet earth......signing out✈
Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by Odinaka00(m): 11:01am On Jul 03, 2021
Akakanfirstclass:

Bihari lives under the earth...
That man is so backward

Oh boy free that useless old man nah hahahahaha

Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by milky3(f): 11:12am On Jul 03, 2021
We Live on Earth, polluted and bastardized . �
Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by ruggedtimi(m): 11:22am On Jul 03, 2021
Will you ever get to answer such question?..possible when man visit other planets.
Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by Iceyjayz: 11:24am On Jul 03, 2021
We all live on Earth not inside Earth, it's impossible to live inside Earth unless you are dead and buried.

1 Like

Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by SKhanmi: 11:50am On Jul 03, 2021
waynetee:
We live on Earth, funniest part is some countries are located opposite to each other.. the gravitational pull draws us to the earth and doesn't allow us to fall off

What if its all lies? What if we live inside a giant brain or a fishbowl? What holds the planets up? Don't quote science or bible for me.

My point is, we might never know because we can't actually find out the proof ourselves. We rely on others to tell us all this. And judging from human history, they would always lie. Just like Thomas edison who stole Tesla's achievements is named in history while the original inventor died poor & forgotten.
Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by wonderr(m): 12:08pm On Jul 03, 2021
if we live outside,inside or untop of the earth does not change the fact that buhari is a terrorist
Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by Bunmhi(f): 12:42pm On Jul 03, 2021
We live on Earth nah

1 Like

Re: Do We Live Inside Earth Or On Earth by dynicks(m): 12:47pm On Jul 03, 2021
Akakanfirstclass:

While Buhari lives under the earth...
That man is so backward

guy Kee me oo!!....uv succeeded in giving that man a serious uppercut!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Facts About The SEVIS Fee / Latest World Population: 20 Most Populated Countries In The World / 39 Trade Subjects Irrelevant, Says Alumni Group - The Nation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.