Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,648 members, 7,813,183 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:19 AM

Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. (1106 Views)

Buhari Is A Mad Man - Nnamdi Kanu / Is This Old Man Nnamdi Kanu and Why the Change in Direction of Facial Scar? / An Open Letter To Nnamdi Kanu By Ifedimma Onwugbufor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by MoneyMerchant(m): 5:24pm On Jul 05, 2021
REFLECTIONS on the man Nnamdi Kanu;
by -CHIMAMANDA NGOZI ADICHIE.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday I announced that I would unveal my thoughts regarding the IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu. Several people reached out, advising me to be neutral and steer clear of political discourse. They meant well for a young female writer with a reputation to protect, an image to project, and the care not to cause offense.

I almost yielded but changed my mind this morning.

The Igbos are the same people about whom I wrote my current published work, In Blood and War, a book set in the then troubled Biafra.

On principle, I consider it unethical to make money off retelling the struggle of this tribe, and in the same breath be silent about their same struggle.

It is beneath morality for a writer to choose to speak only when it favours him or her. To retreat to silence in order not to 'taint' reputation.

To speak on this particular issue, of the man called Nnamdi Kanu, does not tribalize me or my works of literature. Especially as this remains an age-long fear of most writers; the fear of offending, a fear of stepping on toes, of banishment by a displeased societal sect, and even possible ostracism.

I speak because the making of a villain or hero often depends on who tells the story. Representation matters, when perspective becomes the thin line between an activist or a terrorist.

WHO IS NNAMDI KANU?

Nnamdi Okwu Kanu is a Nigerian Biafra political activist, and leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra IPOB.

In a move to create an independent state for the people of old Eastern Region of Nigeria through an independent referendum, Kanu founded IPOB in 2014.

He began his activism for the freedom of Biafra as director of Radio Biafra in 2009, and anchor of Biafra awareness under Ralph Uwazuruike, leader of the Movement for the Actualisation of Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB).

NNAMDI on Referendum, and SECESSION

According to Article 2 of the nation's constitution, Nigeria is one indivisible and indissoluble sovereign state to be known by the name of the 'Federal Republic of Nigeria'.

Our law does not recognise the right of a state to break away from the union. The only way to legally grant such an option is through an amendment to the law.

Hence, Nnamdi Kanu's call for a referendum.

Same constitution only addresses two scenarios where a referendum is recognised – state boundary adjustment and the recall of a member of the National Assembly.

Headstrong on this path, Nnamdi Kanu ran into trouble with the Nigerian government and was first arraigned over allegations of terrorism, money laundering, treason, others, on October 14, 2015.

Later granted bail in 2017, he fled Nigeria in September after the military invaded his home in Afara-Ukwu, near Umuahia, Abia State, in the southeast of Nigeria. A move that prompted the Nigerian government to secure a court order proscribing IPOB as a terrorist group.

Nnamdi Kanu's whereabouts remained unknown until his recent arrest a few days ago. He and his co-defendant are currently facing treasonable felony charges at the Federal High Court in Abuja, Nigeria's capital. He also faces charges on unlawful possession of firearms and management of an unlawful society. The presiding judge adjourned the case to July 26, 2021.

Last week, while parceling one of my books to a buyer, a young boy of about 20 years old was making a call beside me.

At the end of his call, I understood four things:

1. He was negotiating to pay 200k to obtain a form that will identify him as a Niger Delta militant

2. This young man was not a militant

3. Incriminating himself and mortgaging his future through filling out such form would enable him get his share of the amnesty dished out by the Federal government monthly.

4. Our government negotiates with terrorists.

Since the arrest of the IPOB leader, my feed has been agog with posts casting aspersions on his person. Of which majority are made by Igbos, falling over themselves in a frenzy to denounce Nnamdi Kanu.

Meanwhile, a regular Hausa man is yet to put aside his Suya trade, cast on ashes and put on sackcloth, and then come on social media to endlessly bemoan the menance of Boko Haram in the country.

My ear still itches, awaiting the day a regular Yoruba man would take a chill off a peppery dish to criticize Obj. for not being the messiah we had hoped for. No, he is their brother. They must not speak bad of him.

Neither are the Ijaws pausing the oil bunkering trade in the rivers long enough to come online and rant about distancing themselves from militancy in the Niger Delta region.

I am yet to see any of these tribes measure the size of their phallus by how hard they throw their kinsman under the bus.

But not your average Igbo man.

No. Not the average Igbo man with itchy fingers, who masturbates off lambasting Nnamdi. The Igbo man must belong. He must trend. It is fashionable.

The Igbos are a bit too extra on this table.

GUILTY OR NOT GUILTY?
--------------------------------------

Still on the call for secession, on the 2nd of June 2021, the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria made the below 'heartwarming endearment' to the Igbos on Twitter :

“Those of us in the fields for 30 months, who went through the war, will treat them in the language they understand."

The above threat from the house of the presidency stinks of beating a child and asking him not to cry.

No one in their right mind departs a good home, one that is working.

Shouldn't the real question then be . . . why do these people so badly want to stay apart from the rest of the nation?

First demonize a people, call their outcry terrorism, then their injustice becomes acceptable, their oppression becomes deserving.

Guilty or not guilty?

Nnamdi's methodology may be rad, but his intentions are understandable. And for that, I will not throw him under the bus. Unbridled passion, passion without diplomacy, is all I see.

SOBER REFLECTIONS

In the words of Peter Tosh, everyone is crying out for peace and none for justice.

I ponder in idle musings:

Whether Nnamdi is a terrorist, depends on what you mean by a terrorist. Yesterday it was Sowore. Then the youths at the Lekki tollgate. Today Nnamdi. Or could it be that this country only understands you better when you act mad?

On nitty-gritty, we might have become a nation that picks and chooses the brand of terrorists deserving of amnesty. Perhaps the class with guns and doing the most harm are more deserving on the VIP list. That is the only way the massacre of the armless IPOB youths can make sense.

One day, in a saner clime abounding in freedom of speech, I will laud the beautiful corruption of a beloved country called Nigeria

Till then, we will watch the brave made into examples, and shiver at the spectacle, until fear seals our lips and sends us tumbling back into the tunnel of silence.
*Chimamanda Adichie*

8 Likes

Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by mariahAngel(f): 5:25pm On Jul 05, 2021
*Reading...

I love it when she finds (a) reason(s) to write and then goes "Several people reached out..." cheesy
BRB...

*Back to reading...

Ok. This "On principle, I consider it unethical to make money off retelling the struggle of this tribe, and in the same breath be silent about their same struggle." should be the reason for the piece.

*Back to reading again...

Ok. I respect her for this "It is beneath morality for a writer to choose to speak only when it favours him or her. To retreat to silence in order not to 'taint' reputation."

*Back to reading again grin

"Representation matters, when perspective becomes the thin line between an activist or a terrorist."
Ok. The question is what is Nnamdi Kanu? An activist or a terrorist?

*Reading...

Answer: "Nnamdi's methodology may be rad, but his intentions are understandable. And for that, I will not throw him under the bus. Unbridled passion, passion without diplomacy, is all I see."

*Reading...

On a final note: "One day, in a saner clime abounding in freedom of speech, I will laud the beautiful corruption of a beloved country called Nigeria

Till then, we will watch the brave made into examples, and shiver at the spectacle, until fear seals our lips and sends us tumbling back into the tunnel of silence."

Thank you Chimamanda Adichie for refusing their narrative.
And for making us understand the struggle better.

These words (by a so-called president) might have been deleted, but it'll neither be forgotten nor forgiven:
“Those of us in the fields for 30 months, who went through the war, will treat them in the language they understand."

5 Likes

Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by colorsofrainbow: 5:25pm On Jul 05, 2021
"On nitty-gritty, we might have become a nation that picks and chooses the brand of terrorists deserving of amnesty. Perhaps the class with guns and doing the most harm are more deserving on the VIP list. That is the only way the massacre of the armless IPOB youths can make sense"

That's all...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by chatinent: 5:27pm On Jul 05, 2021
I stopped somewhere..

I don't want to enter into the Nigerian sickness knowing too well that man's government is a failure.
Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by GTkester: 5:30pm On Jul 05, 2021
Please this is fake news. Chimamanda never wrote anything for or against Nnamdi Kanu. This is a post by a one Igbo girl, and expectedly IPOB are attaching it to Chimamanda to further their propaganda plans.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by NigeriaNawa: 5:31pm On Jul 05, 2021
GTkester:
Please this is fake news. Chimamanda never wrote anything for or against Nnamdi Kanu. This is a post by a one Igbo girl, and expectedly IPOB are attaching it to Chimamanda to further their propaganda plans.

Illiterate be gone !

6 Likes

Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by joe54: 5:31pm On Jul 05, 2021
grin
Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by velocity25(m): 5:31pm On Jul 05, 2021
God bless Mazi Nnamdi Kanu,he is a hero

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by gaetano: 5:32pm On Jul 05, 2021
Our daughter that knows how to do magic with a pen has spoken and she spoke very well. As a matter of fact, she SPARKED. cool

6 Likes

Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Headachetoigboh(f): 5:33pm On Jul 05, 2021
Sister u spoke well.

Hausa no go school nah so they no fit understand your Grammer bu the end justify the means.

4 Likes

Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by valentineuwakwe(m): 5:33pm On Jul 05, 2021
Well thought out write up.....i may not be a member of IPOB but i support kanu agitation for a new nation. Everyone is saying peace, peace but no one is saying anything about the injustice, inequality and unfairness in the country!

5 Likes

Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by alfasexy: 5:34pm On Jul 05, 2021
Nice.

We are resolute.

2 Likes

Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Ceenachi: 5:35pm On Jul 05, 2021
One thing I like about all these happenings is that it is exposing the rot in the system, showing why Nigeria is not workable and how we can move forward if we don't do a lot of amendment. Think of all the money being funnelled to Niger Delta militants yearly. That money alone is enough to make the region a mini Dubai but it is being wasted. Then think of the wastage in settling terrorists in the north, and the fact that the current government is in support of amnesty for then. And we dey cry that the country is not moving forward

2 Likes

Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by theFilmtric: 5:36pm On Jul 05, 2021
Can we have a link? cheesy
Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by fourboys: 5:36pm On Jul 05, 2021
embarassed embarassed
Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Genius100: 5:47pm On Jul 05, 2021
Where is the link? I can tell this is either fake or the OP has inserted his own words into Chimamamda's write-up..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by heniford2: 5:51pm On Jul 05, 2021
Every igbo around should be in sobar why are we like this why do we forsake our own "money" pride yet we are nothing to show for it God bless MNK God bless any igbo blood standing tall to speak for us God bless MNK we will never forget you, is very bad for one not to understand his Root his people to sell you people i read this book called "thing fall apart" and l came to understand this be bold no matter how bad you where raise.

Igbo youth enough is enough we can't expect everything to be done for us freedom is never given free our political fathers are selfish, selfcented we need to take the movement in our hands is either we get a better Nigeria or Biafria, I asked once why is it we do not have any good federal Road, sea port, International Airport And why is it that we don't remember those that lost their life in a fight for freedom I was told is because igbo are not in unity I told them is a lie I remember sam mabwa Airport in owerri was built my individual who contributed money I remember doing the olden days community use to send a child to school lets come together the elite,poor, Rich, artisans, igbo police, army anywhere you find yourself lets come together to support in getting Biafria we have lost our sons, daughters, and etc because we have greedy people among us enough is enough.

2 Likes

Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Fahdiga(m): 5:53pm On Jul 05, 2021
A well written article from our beloved daughter. History will be kind to her. The useful idiots of Igbo extraction can continue licking Fulani ass. Disintegration of Nigeria is imminent
Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by AMINDA: 5:56pm On Jul 05, 2021
I doubt this writeup is from Chimamanda. Apart from being below the standards of her penmanship, it reeks of bigotry and bias. No, the article cannot be from Chimamanda.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Tranquill: 6:09pm On Jul 05, 2021
AMINDA:
I doubt this writeup is from Chimamanda. Apart from being below the standards of her penmanship, it reeks of bigotry and bias. No, the article cannot be from Chimamanda.

You just took it away from me.

1 Like

Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by DeeMain(m): 6:10pm On Jul 05, 2021
This is fake news. This is not how Chimamanda writes. Please ignore. It's a waste of time to read this.

Mods please DO NOT move this to the front page.

1 Like

Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by mariahAngel(f): 6:15pm On Jul 05, 2021
AMINDA:

"To speak on this particular issue, of the man called Nnamdi Kanu, does not tribalize me or my works of literature. Especially as this remains an age-long fear of most writers; the fear of offending, a fear of stepping on toes, of banishment by a displeased societal sect, and even possible ostracism."

She knew there'd be people like you, so she addressed you all in the piece.

2 Likes

Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by LLiKYekoba: 6:18pm On Jul 05, 2021
Good one from Chimamanda, the rennaisance is on.

For those 'Ibos' who keep insulting and pointing to their father's house with their crooked left fingers, something the fulani would never do to themselves but they alway rely stupid idiots and saboteurs like you to destroy Ndigbo. You days are numbered, you will all soon become endangered species if you don't make a detour now.

It is even your family members that will drag you out to the market square and prosecute justice on your efulefu soul before you soil their good names.

There is an Igbo rennaisance going on and it will crush many efulefus. Be warned.

1 Like

Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Conrod: 6:21pm On Jul 05, 2021
Like a storm,biafra is gaining momentum,nnamdi's unceremonius return has giving the microphone to the once voiceless ipob, and like a train rolling from 1\100kph towards 500\1000kph.

2 Likes

Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by kayfra: 6:25pm On Jul 05, 2021
Fake news

1 Like

Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Fahdiga(m): 6:37pm On Jul 05, 2021
Tranquill:

You just took it away from me.
Crying is allowed
Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by chariisGRACE(m): 7:35pm On Jul 05, 2021
Re: Reflections On The Man Nnamdi Kanu; By -chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by budaatum: 9:47am On Jul 06, 2021

(1) (Reply)

It Is Humiliating Seeing Our Southern Chiefs Bowing To Emirs In The North / Video Invest In Delta State western nigeria / Ex Deputy Senate President Ibrahim Mantu Buried (photos )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.