Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,486 members, 7,823,131 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) (34280 Views)

Tallest Building In South-East In Umuchukwu, Anambra (Photos) / Two 3-Storey Buildings Collapse In Aba, One Dead (Photos) / Two Buildings On Fire At Nkwor Ogbe Market, Ihiala Anambra State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by Prechboy(m): 7:27am On Jul 08, 2021
Why do Nigerians always leave the ground floor when counting the story of a building, this is a 3 story building. Not 2

1 Like

Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by Bahamas95(m): 7:28am On Jul 08, 2021
KEVIND:
North & South
Your fellow Southerner is in a position to give you employment.
You go to him for employment.

You speak good English and write an excellent application letter to impress him.

He tells you to bring your qualifications.

You bring your First Degree (First Class or second class).

He tells you to go and do your Masters and even PhD for you to get the job.

ON THE OTHER HAND

A Northerner is in a position to give employment.

An Hausa Man goes to him.

He speaks Hausa to him.

He tells him to bring his qualifications.

He brings a third class degree or an SSCE with two Credits.

He gets the job and saves money to further his education.

He gets a Masters Degree while doing the job.

Tomorrow, he is appointed as Executive Director.

Ten years Later, he becomes Chairman or DG of the Agency.

The Southerner sees this and hates on the Hausa Man.

He accuses him of nepotism.

But that's not nepotism.

That's communalism.

Southerners must understand the difference between nepotism and communalism.

Helping your Brother to succeed is not nepotism.

Southerners just need to learn how to love one another like Northerners do.

Stop hiding opportunities from your people.

Northerners do not hide opportunities from their people.

100% correct!

Even if you're from the same village with them and you greet them with your language they will pretend as if they didn't hear you and start speaking English..... Southerners ain't United at all, that's the advantage the North has. An Hausa/Fulani man will never see his brother in distress and turn a blind eye. But Southerners don't care because of jealousy or whatever reason they have. Even if you're a stranger and you speak Hausa to an Hausa man he will show you love immediately. Sometime ago when I was living in Ogun state and I wanna buy suya I always ask one of my cousins to accompany me because he speaks Hausa fluently.....The way the malam go take pack suya give us dey shock me. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by blackmantis: 7:32am On Jul 08, 2021
You will see some moulded blocks as fragile as eggs. If you squeeze them they will just dissolve.

1 Like

Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by goodychet: 7:35am On Jul 08, 2021
You see what the high cost of building materials is causing? God help our nation.
Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by crackhouse(m): 7:35am On Jul 08, 2021
Immediately I saw this I know it must be Awka.
Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by Johntobez: 7:37am On Jul 08, 2021
OGA CLIENT I CAN BUILD, AND THE MUMU CLIENT CARRY WORK GIVE AM BECAUSE OF REDUCTION IN CONTRACT BILLING. NO GO LOOK FOR CERTIFIED ENGINEER KEEP ON GIVING YOUR WORKS TO QUARK angry angry angry angry angry
Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by AchalugoNwa(f): 7:38am On Jul 08, 2021
some of these engineers are devilish

I caught one of them using 9mm rod to build foundation of 2 story building.

ahhhh I couldn't swallow it (the owner is based in Abroad)

I just took few shots without anyone knowing and requested the number of the owner from their hausa security guard and chatted the owner up on WhatsApp and presented everything to him.
to my surprise I saw the owner in the next few days at the site.
he flied back to see things for himself and behold it was true as I told him.
he sacked the man immediately and nearly jailed him if not they where related somehow (inlaw)

they have to dismantle the structures and add thicker rods.
the man was full of thanks because I averted this kind of news because that house was destined to collapse.

1 Like

Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by uuzba(m): 7:39am On Jul 08, 2021
Prechboy:
Why do Nigerians always leave the ground floor when counting the story of a building, this is a 3 story building. Not 2
We count using the British method.
American method is to count everything, starting with 1 as ground floor

https://hinative.com/en-US/questions/9936605#:~:text=The%20Americans%20and%20the%20British%20both%20say%20%22ground,you%20mean%20like%20the%20floors%20in%20a%20building%3F
As for me, English is the native language of English people in UK. So I will speak English according to their rules.
Choose your way and don't create confusion for the construction industry.

2 Likes

Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by OluShina24(m): 7:39am On Jul 08, 2021
Poor workmanship and materials
Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by Nobody: 7:41am On Jul 08, 2021
It would be proper to put the actual fotos of the buildings and not stock fotos, this adds credibility to your story, and tells us its not fake news.
Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by R1CHSATAN: 7:43am On Jul 08, 2021
they will use 1 bag of cerment to mix 50bags of sand then they wll come here to scream when the house collapse
Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by Goldbw122(m): 7:44am On Jul 08, 2021
They are trying to manage material for the building they think it is a toy
Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by udoakwa(m): 7:48am On Jul 08, 2021
Abudu2000:
maybe hes a builder. know the difference bw a builder, an engineer and an architect. a builder is mostly seen on site, no engineer stays on site much but they are in charge and approves anything that is done. so if the client has been convinced by those builder called 'baba' that no need for a structural engineer then this is what they get. engineers are not very good in convincing clients, u tell them know they face something else.

I get your point Sha, but i don't know if you have come across some of those engineers who offer to supervise all the activities that is going on in the site, i mean a certified engineer and not all these road side quacks called engineer, that's exactly what I'm talking about, I'm talking about someone i know and not hear say. Some humans are very selfish and greedy
Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by Poleski: 7:51am On Jul 08, 2021
This is what happens when a country is absolutely corruptly rotten!!
The goods sold in Nigeria are substandard! Services rendered are substandard!

Buildings are collapsing everywhere! Incompetent people everywhere! Education sector is moribund like other sectors! Visionless and inept politicians everywhere busy destroying country!

The ONLY thing Nigerians are great in, is CORRUPTION.
Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by everythinggirly(f): 7:54am On Jul 08, 2021
Nice
Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by Calicoe: 7:59am On Jul 08, 2021
Bola146:
angry Who is to blame? Enemy of progress contractors sad angry
Definitely the contractor. This is common with ibo contractors, they always want to economise just so they can realise huge profits from a contract. Go to oko and see how buildings are falling because of substandard materials and economising
Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by techWriter2: 8:05am On Jul 08, 2021
Who is to blame Enemy of strides subcontractor
Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by Prechboy(m): 8:16am On Jul 08, 2021
uuzba:

We count using the British method.
American method is to count everything, starting with 1 as ground floor

https://hinative.com/en-US/questions/9936605#:~:text=The%20Americans%20and%20the%20British%20both%20say%20%22ground,you%20mean%20like%20the%20floors%20in%20a%20building%3F
As for me, English is the native language of English people in UK. So I will speak English according to their rules.
Choose your way and don't create confusion for the construction industry.
you should have just said the reason without adding the confusion part. Nobody is causing any confusion old man. I spoke on what I noticed and I asked a question.
Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by frowland(m): 8:18am On Jul 08, 2021
harmargedon:
Poor building materials has led to waste of money and time.

Not sure it’s a building material issue here.
Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by uuzba(m): 8:20am On Jul 08, 2021
Prechboy:
you should have just said the reason without adding the confusion part. Nobody is causing any confusion old man. I spoke on what I noticed and I asked a question.

Thanks for the early morning insult (Old man).
Continue the rest of your day insulting till it comes back to you.
Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by Okoyouth: 8:30am On Jul 08, 2021
After they will blame Devil, instead of them to use solid materials,they will buy cheap ones
Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by iceberylin(m): 8:37am On Jul 08, 2021
jbreezy:
You can't escape death...it wasn't just their time
STFU. A man makes his own destiny
Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by dingbang(m): 8:46am On Jul 08, 2021
Owner of the building chose cheap contractor over quality contractor by avoiding to pay extra money. That is the cause
Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by Mindofhisown: 8:55am On Jul 08, 2021
So sad. Thank God no life was lost.

But things like this will always happen because people trade quality for quantity.

Secondly, most people will give their uncle or brother who isn't a qualified engineer to build for them.

Do you think people who spent 5 years in university to study civil engineering did it for fun?

You will see architect will draw a building plan for a client and still want to handle the project.

So what then becomes of the structural engineer?

Building bungalow is different from building a story building o.

Another factor is quality of the mixture.

In other to save cost people tend to reduce the quantity of cement.

Then another one people don't know is that most bags of cement have reduced in quantity (weight).

How many people weigh their dangote bags of cement before building?

Almost none.

But verily I say unto you, there's serious fraud going on there.

50kg bag of cement is no longer 50kg o.

Unless you're buying from the factory yourself.

These days most major distributors have started rebagging.

Well, I'm outta here.

Well, it's the this part your explanation that caught my attention.
"You will see architect will draw a building plan for a client and still want to handle the project"
What do you mean exactly? For your information, Architects are not meant to design building project only but also supervise it. Ideally before any building construction (besides bungalow) commences the Architect will be consulted, he or she will have to be on site follow by structural Engineer. The Architect will be the first and last professional to leave the site during supervision. Just that the in Nigeria many always circumvent their ways. So stating Architects handling building projects as one of the reasons for building collapse should be the least of it, if at all it will be included. That reminds me, I have seen many people parading themselves as Architects in this forum, that they design and build. NO! Architects are not allowed to advertise themselves, It's completely against the laws of Nigerian Institute of Architects (NIA) and Architects Registration Council Of Nigeria (ARCON). In fact it's wrong universally. Any Architect involve in it if caught, his or her certificate will be withdrawn. Simply allow your work speaks for itself that is the ethics.
With the permission of time, I'll shed more light on this.
Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by Mindofhisown: 8:57am On Jul 08, 2021
@NotKnown

"You will see architect will draw a building plan for a client and still want to handle the project"
What do you mean exactly? For your information, Architects are not meant to design building project only but also supervise it. Ideally before any building construction (besides bungalow) commences the Architect will be consulted, he or she will have to be on site follow by structural Engineer. The Architect will be the first and last professional to leave the site during supervision. Just that the in Nigeria many always circumvent their ways. So stating Architects handling building projects as one of the reasons for building collapse should be the least of it, if at all it will be included. That reminds me, I have seen many people parading themselves as Architects in this forum, that they design and build. NO! Architects are not allowed to advertise themselves, It's completely against the laws of Nigerian Institute of Architects (NIA) and Architects Registration Council Of Nigeria (ARCON). In fact it's wrong universally. Any Architect involve in it if caught, his or her certificate will be withdrawn. Simply allow your work speaks for itself that is the ethics.
Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by koffikondo: 9:01am On Jul 08, 2021
udoakwa:
God no go ever shame his children. Sometimes i do wonder why some engineers could be so heartless to use substandard material and build a house even when good morning was given to them, they will prefer to use that person's money for their personal use and use little part of the money to build substandard home for someone. Such criulty isn't good

not only good morning what about good evening
Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by codemaniacs: 9:06am On Jul 08, 2021
zz
Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by NotKnown: 9:07am On Jul 08, 2021
Mindofhisown:
@NotKnown

I would have started arguing further but the boldened part of your post already attested to what I have said.

Now the architects draw the plan then also supervise the building doing the job of the structural engineer and professional builders.
These days they will be the one to determine mixture ratio etc because they have been with structural engineers on site so they have little idea of the mixture ratio.

What business does architect have with iron benders on site?

It's not his field, but they will want to do all that.
Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by sterlingD(m): 9:22am On Jul 08, 2021
KEVIND:
North & South
Your fellow Southerner is in a position to give you employment.
You go to him for employment.

You speak good English and write an excellent application letter to impress him.

He tells you to bring your qualifications.

You bring your First Degree (First Class or second class).

He tells you to go and do your Masters and even PhD for you to get the job.

ON THE OTHER HAND

A Northerner is in a position to give employment.

An Hausa Man goes to him.

He speaks Hausa to him.

He tells him to bring his qualifications.

He brings a third class degree or an SSCE with two Credits.

He gets the job and saves money to further his education.

He gets a Masters Degree while doing the job.

Tomorrow, he is appointed as Executive Director.

Ten years Later, he becomes Chairman or DG of the Agency.

The Southerner sees this and hates on the Hausa Man.

He accuses him of nepotism.

But that's not nepotism.

That's communalism.

Southerners must understand the difference between nepotism and communalism.

Helping your Brother to succeed is not nepotism.

Southerners just need to learn how to love one another like Northerners do.

Stop hiding opportunities from your people.

Northerners do not hide opportunities from their people.

True, so true speaking from a close experience
Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by Aguogba(m): 9:49am On Jul 08, 2021
harmargedon:
Poor building materials has led to waste of money and time.

Reinforcements are supposed to be made of mild steel with a careful combination of iron+ carbon. But when you mix: iron, carbon, zinc, aluminium, tin, chromium, vanadium, etc from different recycled metal sheets to produce reinforcements, it becomes pure stupidity and abuse of science.

These Chinese steel companies are to blame for almost all the building collapse in Naija. Just visit their steel mills and see what they're pouring into their furnaces.

1 Like

Re: 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) by Vainglory: 10:20am On Jul 08, 2021
Everybody is putting all the blame on bad building materials but that is not the main reason for building collapse. Poor foundation design and /or construction is actually the main culprit. Low quality materials also may be a cause but the truth is that most of the people called engineers (mainly senior masons) do not even have a basic understanding of the structural stability of a building. It amazes me how somebody can engage a mason to handle a multi storied building just to save some money. That is 'penny wise pound foolish'. Governments should also help by making it mandatory for every developer to engage engineers to handle big structures.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Where To Buy Cheap Property Or Land In Nigeria? / Three-storey Building Collapses In Umuahia (photos) / What Is The Estimated Cost for DECKING 2 Bedroom Duplex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.