Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,508 members, 7,830,522 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:21 AM

Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns - NYSC (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns (24343 Views)

NYSC Should Be Held Responsible For Kidnap Of Corpers In Zamfara - Shehu Sani / Insinsecurity: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corp Members Trained To Use Gun- Ishaku / Consider Suspending NYSC Camps For 2 Years, Osinbajo Committee Tells FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by Litmus: 3:58pm On Jul 08, 2021
Why not, Nations do have National Service.
Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by Princessogaraya(f): 4:02pm On Jul 08, 2021
Nonsense man,it is your generation that will spend in NYSC 2year

Heartless politics
Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by Litmus: 4:03pm On Jul 08, 2021
Why do Niaraland posters cuss and quarrel over every issue Nigerian ? What’s wrong with articulating why you’re in favour, against or undecided about something? Why turn every issue into some sort of indictment on politicians, tribe, Nigeria or Nigerians? angry
Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by meobizy(f): 4:04pm On Jul 08, 2021
Then what use is the military and paramilitary? These northern governors don’t fear to exhibit their lust for power and control. Their states are majorly uneducated and religiously indoctrinated so they can remain one-eyed kings in the land of the blind. Check the educational background of his household and it will always appear night and day compared to the common man’s.

1 Like

Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by blackboy(m): 4:05pm On Jul 08, 2021
Who can tell me how PMB's son did his NYSC? It is off the record he did less than the mandatory period but still got his NYSC discharge cert brought to him at home by the Oga at the top.
That is the practise of many powerful northerners and many their children dont go to camp , they choose their PPA from home which are juicy or places that wont give them wahala.
This one is talking 2 years . Talking military training. Is that his wish for his child? I dont blame him. Nigerian youths dont need military training? Where is the threat like that of Isreal or.... The youths that some have already gotten military training in fraternities and many have been a nuisance to the society. They need better education and hope for a better Nigeria. Extra one year even the one year is a burden or distraction to many.

1 Like

Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by ochebado: 4:18pm On Jul 08, 2021
Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by Ojayk(m): 4:23pm On Jul 08, 2021
Coming from a Chief Security officer of a State, what then can the ordinary man say/do?

Yes, insurgency have big time sponsors whom have grown beyond the government or that are in the government, as security and government can't lay hands on them.

I hate to say that he just admitted failure of the government or government willful silence on the mayhem going on in the north, especially. (Those not in government are spoken to in a language they understand by the security forces)

For the NYSC being a reserve team,

A unit created to help wipe away thoughts and experience of the civil war in now being proposed to prepare for war......(War against who and for who).. Its alright.

On issue of PATRIOTISM, for every SINGLE ACT of Patriotism exhibited by our political leaders as a group, the ordinary young/old Nigerian from the South, North, West and East is willing and ready to reciprocate same a 100 times and over.

Not when they bleed the nation via implementation of selfish/greedy policies and programs, (and display their loots via their various lifestyles and those of their wards) they now except their citizens whose childhood ambitions have been redesigned/ reprogrammed, that are busy looking out for basic daily bread to exhibit patriotism.

Fairplay is a necessity to living in a society.

1 Like

Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by eeetuk(m): 4:25pm On Jul 08, 2021
Taraba state governor: “The NYSC I will say should be two years. One year for compulsory military training and the other year for the social works that they are doing now so that anybody who graduates as an NYSC person can know how to handle the gun and defend himself just as it is done in Israel, Lebanon and other places, you must engage your citizens to be proactive. When you cannot provide security, you must allow the people to protect themselves.”

Terrible idea and not something I would recommend. Talking about training students to fight criminals. It probably works in Israel and Lebanon, but certainly not in Nigeria.

Israelis and Labanonise governments know
how to take great care of their people, not the Nigerian government. Two years ago when I last visited Nigeria, I saw police and soldiers walked on worn out shoes, shirts and pants. Looking at a distance, Nigerian police officers looked fried in a hot and burning heat temperatures. I cried when I saw their appearance.

In Israel and Lebanon, police officers drive in brand new cars. No police officers in Israel and Lebanon walked on their feet chasing criminals. In contrast, Nigerian police officers walked miles on their feet fighting crimes. That is why bandits have taken over the streets and neighborhoods in Nigeria because police officers don't feel appreciated for what they do.

So, if Taraba state governor wants students to join police, he should address poor conditions nigerian police are going through today. He should buy 100,000 brand new cars for police. He should make police officers the highest paid employees in his state. He should buy and pay for police uniforms, shoes and pants.

No one is excited to fight criminals at the rate of $1 a day. Not me. Nigerian police officers and soldiers are the lowest paid government officials anywhere in the world.

Certainly, Not incentives to love what you do!

1 Like

Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by faithfull18(f): 4:27pm On Jul 08, 2021
As long as his children go through it.

The problem is they won't be posted to problematic places.
Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by ubee(m): 4:33pm On Jul 08, 2021
Why should corp members be looked at as the pool for recruitment of prospective soldiers?smh. Do not let the incompetence of our leaders make you miss the truth and facts of our dire reality in Naija.
Let the Army announce a national recruitment drive today, you will see a stampede of hundreds of thousands of civilians, (if not millions) converging across the recruitment centres ready to be enrolled. We have enough soldiers in this country, and if not enough then it points to incompetence of the army leadership for not replenishing their numbers.
The truth is our soldiers are poorly trained, ill-equipped and most crucially unmotivated to go to the front lines and face these terrorists head on.
It's so sad, but true.
kevoh:
A better solution will be for the army to conscript corp members who are willing to join the army, immediately after they leave camp, for at least 3 years service. No tribalistic recruitment or any other mago mago, just put them on a good salary right away and watch intending corps members rush at the opportunity.

This backward strategy of forcing and banning everything never works. Show some tact Nigerian government! Use the stick and carrot approach!
Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by Freelane33(m): 4:39pm On Jul 08, 2021
Cow head
Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by shoprite: 4:45pm On Jul 08, 2021
Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns

Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by pooozeee(m): 5:08pm On Jul 08, 2021
The consequence of doing that is that they become armed robbers after NYSC and they couldn't get a job
Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by Coun3MAN: 5:09pm On Jul 08, 2021
https://punchng.com/insecurity-nysc-should-be-two-years-corps-members-must-be-trained-to-handle-guns-taraba-gov/[/quote
This my Gov. is a very useless man, how can he says corper should be trained on how to handle guns, I bet u if corpers are to be trained on how to handle gun he can't leave in the Govt house for an hour, he is among the people who constitute the insecurity problems we facing in Taraba state & the north entirely.
Taraba state faces the most ethnic crises & religious crises in the Nigeria.
1.Tiv (christian) VS jukun (Christian).
2. Muslims vs Christian
All he knew is to loot money without considering the fact that your fellow Christian are being killed daily by either a fellow Christian or Muslims
Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by King44(m): 5:20pm On Jul 08, 2021
Your father!!!! Scrap the nonsense
Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jul 08, 2021
“You can imagine within the short three weeks in the orientation camps, the corps members are moulded. They are like soldiers"

Na lie,,, we no get any morale grin
Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by Panda7(m): 5:27pm On Jul 08, 2021
are the kandoki's going to another war?
Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by Gjmff: 5:28pm On Jul 08, 2021
Hmmm
Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by oluwafemiabioye(f): 5:31pm On Jul 08, 2021
Opexzy:
If you comment without reading the article, you are most likely going to swear for the governor.

To me, he has a point, but it should not be particular to NYSC alone... Everyone needs to learn the art of self defense including handling and using fire arms effectively in today's Nigeria.

Thank you for this point and the earlier the better Southerners stop seeing the whole North as Hausa-Fulani muslim the better, I can categorically say that 40-45% of northern population are not Hausa-Fulani Muslims they are Northern Christians. And it will also be good Southerners stop seeing Northerners as fools, don't judge the whole North from the okada drivers, or shoe shiners you see in the South. Northerners are very intelligent.

My point is never underestimate a person you don't know.

1 Like

Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by kevoh(m): 5:36pm On Jul 08, 2021
ubee:
Why should corp members be looked at as the pool for recruitment of prospective soldiers?smh. Do not let the incompetence of our leaders make you miss the truth and facts of our dire reality in Naija.
Let the Army announce a national recruitment drive today, you will see a stampede of hundreds of thousands of civilians, (if not millions) converging across the recruitment centres ready to be enrolled. We have enough soldiers in this country, and if not enough then it points to incompetence of the army leadership for not replenishing their numbers.
The truth is our soldiers are poorly trained, ill-equipped and most crucially unmotivated to go to the front lines and face these terrorists head on.
It's so sad, but true.
Please go back, read and digest my initial comment very well. Stop and reflect at the place where I wrote "corps members who are willing to join the Army*...if you want to keep shaking your head after that, then I can not help you. I fail to see how having a continuous supply of a pool of willing young people from NYSC stops the National recruitment from taking place. There should be enough platforms(and incentives ) for Nigerian citizens to willingly join the army to defend their country.
If you miss the NYSC window because you are indecisive, you can always join the National recruitment after service!
Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by bigstan11787(m): 5:40pm On Jul 08, 2021
I hope your daughter will lead the squard
Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by bigstan11787(m): 5:40pm On Jul 08, 2021
I hope your daughter will lead the squad
Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by sulaiden: 5:53pm On Jul 08, 2021
Were�� mad fellow
Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by kkins25(m): 6:05pm On Jul 08, 2021
IMAliyu:

In an armed society everyone is nice to each other.

Countries that practice this, don't seem to have any worse security problems, but Nigerian people are not normal so I can't say.
LOL.

1 Like

Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by Kyra1(f): 6:20pm On Jul 08, 2021
No wahala as long as they will keep paying us. Though I don't think it's a good idea oh. Cos people will surely misuse that weapon
Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by naikeboy(m): 6:48pm On Jul 08, 2021
Amadioha gods of my ancestors strike you there.... Lagger
Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by okoroemeka(m): 8:53pm On Jul 08, 2021
SmartPolician:
Please scrap that nonsense

A complete waste of time
nysc is the legacy of a futile effort to unite Nigeria,a doomed unity of oil and water,it is just a matter of time the oil will find its place and the water will also inevitably find its place,our leaders are so short-sighted that they can't see opportunity even if it is right before their eyes,I have roughly checked what it cost government to finance one corper,and the results was quite surprising,if you check yearly pay#396k,khaki/coustume#10-15k,feeding for one month#1500×30days#45k, security expanses in camp #5k,camp maintenance#5k, overblown food budget#20k,overblown cost of camp operation#10k,so we have an expenses of roughly #500k per corper per year,not counting extra #200-300k for corrupt practices,what if the federal government will make 1/2 month training compulsory for corpers to learn anything they like from IT systems,cyber tech,hair dresser, mechanic,plumber, farming, etc,after the corper has been show the ropes he will be given a check of #500k, believe me 5-10% will hustle and travel out,10% will continue in their chosen endeavors, another 10% will open small/medium business,if such idea could take 35-40% off the unemployment rate of corpers then it is a good idea,NYSC is simply a white elephant scheme that serve no purpose

3 Likes

Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by chatinent: 9:08pm On Jul 08, 2021
No bi to give gun, na to collect am go bi problem.
Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by HELLASJ(m): 9:16pm On Jul 08, 2021
Well said His Excellency... But one year is okay for the training

Most of these folks commenting didn't even read the Information he's passing...

I weep for this generation
Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by Chibabe1(f): 9:35pm On Jul 08, 2021
Ndị nzuzu
Re: Ishaku: NYSC Should Be 2 Years, Corpers Must Be Trained To Handle Guns by 198800Mam(m): 9:38pm On Jul 08, 2021
Funny governor, after 2years of nysc no job na to buy guns n weapons n attack all politians oooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nysc Batch B 2015. / Advise Me On How To Make Money During NYSC / Nysc A15 Taraba Peeps Lets Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.