Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,782 members, 7,810,044 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:14 PM

Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. (2494 Views)

BREAKING!!! Abia North: Ohuabunwa Assaults Court Bailiff Over Kalu's Petition / NLC To Embark On Protests Over Fuel Scarcity / Nigeria Protests Over Biafra Activist's Arrest - BBC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by okoroamadi: 8:41pm On Jul 16, 2007
Protests over Kalu’s detention
By CHUKS ONUOHA, Umuahia
Monday, July 16, 2007

Thousands of placard-carrying protesters took to the streets and major roads enmasse in different parts of Abia, chanting solidarity songs as they demand immediate release of former Abia State governor, Dr Orji Uzor Kalu.

Former Governor Kalu, they said, was arrested on spurious reasons of alleged money laundering and diversion of funds.
While some were protesting in their hamlets and villages, others headed straight to the Government House, Umuahia where they tendered their grievances before the governor, Chief Theodore Ahamefule Orji.

Speaking on behalf of his own group, Prince Felix Ogbonna, who hails from Ukwa area of the state, called for immediate release of the former governor who, he said, does not deserve such embarrassment.
"Tell Yar’Adua that we are also Niger Delta people and can still do something if we are pushed to the wall.

“Since he has said that he is forming a government of national unity, he should not allow anything that will divert his vision for the people of Nigeria. He should order EFCC to release Orji Kalu without delay," Ogbonna said.
Prince Ngozi William, spokesman of another group, said that they were in Government House to protest peacefully against the detention of Kalu and call for his immediate release.
"We say no to intimidation and harassment of innocent citizens. If the governor had committed the alleged offence, we are the ones that should have reported him, but in this case, he is innocent and should not be kept a minute longer in detention."

Others who made the same call included Chief Dickson Nwosu, Transition Chairman; Chairman of Umuahia North, Prince Dan Kalu, T. C., Chairman of Arochukwu LGA, Madam Love Alaezi from Bende LGA, and Chief Uche Akwukwuegbu, from Abia Central.
Nwosu said Kalu’s arrest was not only illegal, but a spite on the Igbo race. Also, Alaezi said the architect of Kalu’s travail were jealous of his popularity while Akwukwegbu described him as a man of the people.

Some of the placards they carried read: "We don’t want selective justice, EFCC, release our son Orji Kalu now; Federal Government, free our leader, we say no to intimidation; OUK has no case to answer, EFCC is agent of PDP,” etc.

Speaking to the protesting groups, the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Mr. Ukoha Kalu, said government had noted their grievances. "The government of the past is not government of today. We are sure that the government of Umaru Yar’Adua is a sensitive one that listens to the yearning of the people, we are sure that they will do something very soon. The governor said you should pursue your grievances peacefully.
“Please be calm in your demands because Kalu is a peaceful man," the CPS advised.
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by Mamajama(m): 8:49pm On Jul 16, 2007
Nigeria is a very funny country. if the man was never arrested, they will say he must be OBJ friend, now he is arrested and they are protesting .Kai
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by McKren(m): 9:01pm On Jul 16, 2007
This news only appeared in the Sun, Orji Kalu's newspaper. What else do you expect

Trust me even if it happened they are a few rented crowd, true sons of Abia who traverse the death traps in the name of roads in Aba will not match on the same road to protest for anyone.

How did they even protest? did they have their trousers folded to avoid being wet by erosion.

I think say Orji been dey make gra-gra for Ribadu, May 29 don pass him they hope make the same people wey him loot their money protest his release.

Only a misguided bunch can engage on such venture.
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by Mamajama(m): 9:04pm On Jul 16, 2007
I'm not sure how he will escape prison, 71 count is a serious offence to beat.
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by angel101(f): 9:47pm On Jul 16, 2007
They are wasting their breath! He will only be released if he is found innocent of the charges against him.
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by swing4real(m): 9:55pm On Jul 16, 2007
What is wrong with Nigerian.Are they protesting that Kalu is innocent or what? That he didn´t loot while he was the governor of Abia state?Any body protesting should be taken to see a doctor.The guy is a common thief and he should be send to prison without any further delay.
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jul 16, 2007
I'm an Igbo woman.
Let them pepper him if he's found guilty.
These people have taken away my inheritance and those of my kids.

My dear father who faithfully served in civil service is still owed arrears of pension while Orji and his fellow robbers were robbing us blind.
Let them show them no mercy.
Let the law take full effect.
Ole.

Infact those protesters should be captured and flogged
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by Mamajama(m): 10:04pm On Jul 16, 2007
babyosisi how can the rub your kids and you and your kids are in USA. just my observation, lol
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by BigB11(m): 10:07pm On Jul 16, 2007
It all comes back to[b] "a corrupt system and a very dirty culture"[/b]
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by angel101(f): 10:08pm On Jul 16, 2007
Mamajama:

babyosisi how can the rub your kids and you and your kids are in USA. just my observation, lol

The robbery of her inheritance is probably the reason why she and her kids feel the need to remain in the states
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by Mamajama(m): 10:11pm On Jul 16, 2007
please her children are not even Nigerians, they are AKATA boys, lets stop comparing home grown kids to aje butter like BIGGy grin grin cheesy
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jul 16, 2007
well my children (by faith) may not be Nigerians by birth but I'm Nigerian,that makes them Nigerians.
I hope Orji Kalu has started talking.
If not they need to pepper him literally and get him to speak
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by IykeD1(m): 11:00pm On Jul 16, 2007

Thousands of placard-carrying protesters took to the streets and major roads enmasse in different parts of Abia, chanting solidarity songs as they demand immediate release of former Abia State governor, Dr Orji Uzor Kalu.

<snip>

Just wondering - why can' they mobilize the same number of people to clear the refuse heaps that is almost burying
Abia state - Aba to be specific?
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jul 16, 2007
my brother I wonder o.
The police should hand the protesters shovels and dump trucks and put them to real work
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by angel101(f): 11:04pm On Jul 16, 2007
Exactly! That would be fantastic. As they are so jobless, lets make them useful to society grin
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by DisGuy: 11:06pm On Jul 16, 2007
lol nice one iyke-D

"Tell Yar’Adua that we are also Niger Delta people and can still do something if we are pushed to the wall.
is abia in the niger delta ?
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jul 16, 2007
I'm sure they mean that they can carry machine guns and kidnap people too
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jul 16, 2007
Hopefully Kalu opens his loudmouth and expose all of these ex-Governors, Odili, Ibori and Igbinedion to be precise!
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jul 16, 2007
I think they should tie this criminals to a stake from city to city and let the masses give them a piece of their minds.
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by angel101(f): 12:02am On Jul 17, 2007
Donzman:

Hopefully Kalu opens his loudmouth and expose all of these ex-Governors, Odili, Ibori and Igbinedion to be precise!

I say AMEN to this
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by honeric01(m): 12:25am On Jul 17, 2007
if igbinedion is left alone without being persecuted, then i will know all these probing is a mere lie and conspiracy in the part of pdp and efcc
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by honeric01(m): 12:42am On Jul 17, 2007
uhm cry GOD SAVE US, THOSE THAT LEFT EMPTY TREASURIES SHOULD BE ARRESTED AND PROBED
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by Xris74: 7:32am On Jul 17, 2007
Sure. Abia is in the Niger Delta, together with Imo. But Ijaw people have now what they call core-[/b]Niger Delta where they have imaginarily excluded the above two states just because they are [b]Ibo (sic)
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by honeric01(m): 7:46am On Jul 17, 2007
Abia, Niger delta? yee, well ilorin is also Naija delta lol
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by honeric01(m): 8:03am On Jul 17, 2007
even if he is guilty, it won't take him more than 6 months in jail and then he is free again and before you know it, he is contesting for presidential post again
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by denex: 8:14am On Jul 17, 2007
@honeric

the matter of Lucky Igbinedion is simple. There is no need setting trap for the bush meat that is securely in the cage.

Lucky is so dull and stole so blatantly that in the next 100 there will be excessive evidence of what he stole.

Please I suggest right now, they go after governors like Orji Kalu who can within 2 years, completely launder all the money they stole and make it look legal.
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by angel101(f): 9:07am On Jul 17, 2007
denex:

@honeric

the matter of Lucky Igbinedion is simple. There is no need setting trap for the bush meat that is securely in the cage.

Lucky is so dull and stole so blatantly that in the next 100 there will be excessive evidence of what he stole.

Please I suggest right now, they go after governors like Orji Kalu who can within 2 years, completely launder all the money they stole and make it look legal.

Very true. I hear he has returned a lot though
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by Mamajama(m): 4:27pm On Jul 17, 2007
denex how do you know Lucky stole beside all the stuff we all reading from the media? do you know how much he has in his account or how many houses or wifes he had? people lets be careful when dealing with peoples character. Lets give everyone benefit of a doubt, let them go to court and exonerate themselves.
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by dinachi(m): 5:18pm On Jul 17, 2007
So Orji kalu is now the latest thief in town enh?. What about Obasanjo who left office covered in riches and blood, Anenih who wasted 300bilion of tax payers money in Objs 2nd term, Andy Uba who bettered himself to the tune of 1.3 trilion in declared assets or should we talk about peter odili who "dashed" the EFCC 50 billion from his proceeds in his states "pot of soup"? Until all these people are arrested to take their place in the dock with kalu and co, until then I will continue to support kalu in his travails. Away with selective justice. Nothing is as horrible as a righteous thief!! Almost all if not all the former governors collected meat from their state's "pot of soup"
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by denex: 5:54pm On Jul 17, 2007
@Mamajama

unfortunately, I was in Benin for about 7 of the 8 years that Lucky was governor. Do you know how much of state money was used to annually celebrate his father's birthday?

It is terrible. Just forget about Lucky. I mean do you know how much of state money was paid to Bob Izua as protection fees. How much was pumped into Igbinedion University.

Abeg just fashy Lucky.
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by angel101(f): 6:13pm On Jul 17, 2007
denex:

@Mamajama

unfortunately, I was in Benin for about 7 of the 8 years that Lucky was governor. Do you know how much of state money was used to annually celebrate his father's birthday?

It is terrible. Just forget about Lucky. I mean do you know how much of state money was paid to Bob Izua as protection fees. How much was pumped into Igbinedion University.

Abeg just fashy Lucky.

The next we will hear is that their family was rich b4 Lucky became governor. My question then will be how come we didnt see them living this life style b4 now?
Re: Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. by Mamajama(m): 6:16pm On Jul 17, 2007
angel101 what are you talking about , didnt his dad own the 1st private airline in Nigeria back then? OKADA AIRLIne
didnt Lucky go to school in London, not sure if they are as rich now is another question

(1) (2) (Reply)

Goodluck Jonathan Is The Fulfillment Of Awo's Prophecy / Gunshots, Ballot Snatching Mar Lagos Lg Election •we Supported Fashola, Not Acn / President Jonathan's Grammatical Boo-boos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.