Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,322 members, 7,819,103 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

What Is The Right Age To Gift Your Child A Smartphone? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is The Right Age To Gift Your Child A Smartphone? (749 Views)

When Is The Best Age To Give Sex Education To Your Child / What's The Biggest Gift Your Abroad Relative Has Ever Given To You? / What Is The Right Age Or Time To Get Life Entirely Figured Out? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Right Age To Gift Your Child A Smartphone? by enikl(m): 7:16am On Jul 14, 2021
Personally I believe it isn't about when they should start using it.. The big question should be when they can start using it without supervision! The digital age isn't limited to any age group.. But proper supervision is the ultimate goal!
Re: What Is The Right Age To Gift Your Child A Smartphone? by illicit(m): 7:20am On Jul 14, 2021
Re: What Is The Right Age To Gift Your Child A Smartphone? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:31am On Jul 14, 2021
Proper supervision is the main thing!

Easy peasy!!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Right Age To Gift Your Child A Smartphone? by Wagasigiungu(m): 8:18am On Jul 14, 2021
Definitely. Supervision is easy peasy in this age. You can monitor ALL your kids do on their smartphone/tablet.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Gift Your Child A Smartphone? by EduTechTainMent: 8:22am On Jul 14, 2021
enikl:
Personally I believe it isn't about when they should start using it.. The big question should be when they can start using it without supervision! The digital age isn't limited to any age group.. But proper supervision is the ultimate goal!

Even my 2 Yr old child uses a smartphone-either mine or his mum's. He doesn't hv a personal phone yet. His siblings all hv - the oldest is about 7 yrs old. It helps kids develop their intellect. You would be surprised when you see my 2 Yr old kid handling a phone and playing games on it.

For those skeptics or anxious parents who are afraid of the Internet, there are measures you can take to safeguard and monitor all activities on your kids smart device.

There are many educative and informative apps that can help kids from pre-school to toddler age to kindergarten and also grade 1, 2, 3 etc.

Best to expose your kids to tech at a young age. The future is tech- irrespective of gender and age. Already set up a desktop PC for 'em. Will be walking them through the use of a PC gradually.

I love tech and my kids will benefit form what I am passionate about.

For anyone interested, I can help you get the best and most affordable of such tablets. It's All In One with value added services (apps installation and setup) at no extra cost.

Reach me @EduTechTainMent on telegram

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Age To Gift Your Child A Smartphone? by meobizy(f): 9:21am On Jul 14, 2021
Personally I believe it isn't about when they should start using it
Ten is the age most parents give their children one. They are so affordable that the-earlier-the-better plays a part in familiarizing them with the technology. I’ve seen a mother buy a cheap Nokia for her five year old son. He used it to call her occasionally so it wasn’t a total waste of money.

The big question should be when they can start using it without supervision!
Age fourteen. I’ll venture to say thirteen. By then they have a group of friends who they’ll want to keep in touch with from time to time.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Gift Your Child A Smartphone? by donstan18: 10:17am On Jul 14, 2021
You people should stop trying to look modern by saying 10-14 years, your kids are to start using phones after their senior Waec.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Right Age To Gift Your Child A Smartphone? by Hathor5(f): 10:41am On Jul 14, 2021
EduTechTainMent:

Even my 2 Yr old child uses a smartphone-either mine or his mum's. He doesn't hv a personal phone yet. His siblings all hv - the oldest is about 7 yrs old. It helps kids develop their intellect. You would be surprised when you see my 2 Yr old kid handling a phone and playing games on it.

For those skeptics or anxious parents who are afraid of the Internet, there are measures you can take to safeguard and monitor all activities on your kids smart device.

There are many educative and informative apps that can help kids from pre-school to toddler age to kindergarten and also grade 1, 2, 3 etc.

Best to expose your kids to tech at a young age. The future is tech- irrespective of gender and age. Already set up a desktop PC for 'em. Will be walking them through the use of a PC gradually.

I love tech and my kids will benefit form what I am passionate about.

For anyone interested, I can help you get the best and most affordable of such tablets. It's All In One with value added services (apps installation and setup) at no extra cost.

Reach me @EduTechTainMent on telegram

Studies show that excessive use of smartphones has negative effects on child development.

While you are here advertising the benefits, you should never ignore the risks.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Gift Your Child A Smartphone? by Fiscus105(m): 12:31pm On Jul 14, 2021
I think one can give it as early as u want ,at least wen he/she knows how to read, but you must know the password of all her/his social media including phone, you should also endvour to login into phone to check login history ,you do that improptu
Re: What Is The Right Age To Gift Your Child A Smartphone? by mardis: 3:38pm On Jul 14, 2021
In this recent time, don't give a child smartphone, i repeat don't, maybe till university. You can buy them a phone that doesn't have access to Internet like torchlight phone for communication. When they want to do academic stuffs they should use either of their parents.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Age To Gift Your Child A Smartphone? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jul 14, 2021
After graduation from the University.

Phones are a big distraction for today's youth. They no longer concentrate in their studies. All they want do is press phone. Little wonder there was mass failure in this year's jamb exams.

Until they are done with their Uni education, no smart phone in my house. If they need to do any research, let them visit the cyber cafe in school and at home, I'll allow them use my or their fathers lappy with heavy timing.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Gift Your Child A Smartphone? by frozen70(f): 6:24pm On Jul 14, 2021
enikl:

I started mine immediately they finished their WAEC and made a good score

That's was my agreement with them and that's alone was enough reason for them to seat it
Re: What Is The Right Age To Gift Your Child A Smartphone? by EduTechTainMent: 11:59am On Jul 18, 2021
Hathor5:

Studies show that excessive use of smartphones has negative effects on child development.

While you are here advertising the benefits, you should never ignore the risks.

Thank you for the reply. Of course I am aware of what you mentioned. That's why I mentioned in my post that you can control ALL your kid does. You can program it to limit the usage to particular days of the week, or specific hours or maximum number of hours usage. I am not just talking about games games and games. There are tons of educational and religious apps that can help your kids to develop their intellectual capacity and help them in their day to day studies.

Your take home message is the excessive usage. Moderation is key in whatever we do in life, not only smartphone usage and not only for kids. Even adults need to limit their usage of smartphones. There is a thin line btw productive usage or addictive usage. I know what I am talking about.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Age To Gift Your Child A Smartphone? by EduTechTainMent: 12:06pm On Jul 18, 2021
Technology has its merits and demerits. We shouldn't be seen to ignore the merits because of some demerits.

Some parents also used similar arguments against having a TV set at home. What was the end result? Your guess is as good as mine.

Technology is here to stay. We either move with the tides or we get left behind. Being in a 3rd world country already puts us at a disadvantage.

Make everybody sha do wetin he/she feels is best for his kids and family.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Gift Your Child A Smartphone? by Rubbiish(m): 2:30pm On Jul 18, 2021
CharisEleos:
After graduation from the University.

Phones are a big distraction for today's youth. They no longer concentrate in their studies. All they want do is press phone. Little wonder there was mass failure in this year's jamb exams.

Until they are done with their Uni education, no smart phone in my house. If they need to do any research, let them visit the cyber cafe in school and at home, I'll allow them use my or their fathers lappy with heavy timing.

Lol
U don't know every uni dept/level now have WhatsApp group where they easily pass information? When they want to research little info as simple as definition of terms they will have to go to a cyber cafe? Do we even still have cyber cafe around? It will be difficult for any student in the university to survive without a smartphone in this present world. Smartphone can make schooling easy, depending on how one choose to use it. It is not all bad! There are good sides to it as a student.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Age To Gift Your Child A Smartphone? by capnies: 3:00pm On Jul 18, 2021
enikl:

THE BEST TIME TO BUY PHONE FOR YOUR CHILD IN THIS NIGERIA IS WHEN HE/SHE HAS GOTTEN ADMISSION INTO THE UNIVERSITY; ANYTHING SHORT OF THAT IS DANGEROUS. THAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU CANNOT BUY A SMALL JAVA PHONE FOR HOME COMMUNICATION BELONGING TO THE HOUSE
Re: What Is The Right Age To Gift Your Child A Smartphone? by ahnie: 3:32pm On Jul 18, 2021
My first child just clock 6yrs last I gifted her a phone first was a touchlight phone,then changed it to a smart phone

I don't see anything wrong.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Gift Your Child A Smartphone? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jul 18, 2021
Rubbiish:

Lol
U don't know every uni dept/level now have WhatsApp group where they easily pass information? When they want to research little info as simple as definition of terms they will have to go to a cyber cafe? Do we even still have cyber cafe around? It will be difficult for any student in the university to survive without a smartphone in this present world. Smartphone can make schooling easy, depending on how one choose to use it. It is not all bad! There are good sides to it as a student.

Then they should get those little info from their friends. I mean... They are not going to become morons because they are not using a smart phone. They will improvise.

(1) (Reply)

Story Of Drug Addiction / How Lady Call Off Wedding Because Husband Refused To Book Flight For Her Family / How Best Can I Take Care Of My Old Parents?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.