Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,777 members, 7,817,203 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:10 AM

Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states (3133 Views)

Fani-Kayode Writes On The ''Killing Of 105 Soldiers By Boko Haram'' / Oyo Government Removes Lunatics From Ibadan Roads / Ekiti Evacuates Beggars, Lunatics From Streets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by Adejoro74: 3:23am On May 13, 2011
Banner
Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states
Friday, 13 May 2011 00:00 By Kamal Tayo Oropo News - National
E-mail Print
User Rating: / 0
PoorBest
Fashola_04-04-11

TO rid Lagos of lunatics and beggars, the state government has sent over 3,105 beggars and lunatics to their countries and states of origin.

The Special Adviser to the governor on Youth and Social Development Dr. Dolapo Badru, who disclosed this at a ministerial briefing yesterday in Lagos, said 3,044 of the beggars arrested had been sent away in the last one year.

Giving a breakdown of the statistics, Badru revealed that Sokoto State had the highest number of beggars with 196 arrested on Lagos streets, followed by Oyo State with 83, Kano State 75, Osun State 67, Ekiti 21, while Ondo State had seven.

On the number of lunatics, he said available statistic showed that Niger Republic had the highest number of beggars and lunatics arrested by having 12, Chad Republic two and Cote d’Ivoire had one.

Badru explained that the state government had zero tolerance for destitution and begging in the state, adding that picking of unwanted persons from streets of Lagos would be a continuous exercise.

He stressed that his office would continue to work together with security agencies to rid the city of these unwanted persons, saying it was an offence to indulge the beggars who troop to the state on daily basis to beg for alms.

On the essence of the state’s rehabilitation centre at Owutu, Ikorodu, where beggars, the destitute, mentally challenged and drug addicts picked from the roads are taken to, he said the state government would continue to make provision for facilities to help rehabilitate such persons.

He said the mentally unstable picked on the roads across the state would be given adequate medical attention, while 38 able-bodied persons among those picked on the roads who were suspected to be criminals had been handed over to the state task force for prosecution.

On adoption and fostering, Badru disclosed that various applications were received from prospective adopters, locally and internationally who were screened in order to determine their suitability for adopting children while 177 letters of approval were granted.

He disclosed that 126 children were adopted by members of the public and 11 released for fostering, adding that 174 children had their adoptions legalised through the Juvenile Court while additional 161 babies were rescued and referred to various government homes and private orphanages.

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47810:lagos-returns-3105-poor-persons-lunatics-to-six-states&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by Nobody: 3:27am On May 13, 2011
TO rid Lagos of lunatics and beggars, the state government has sent over 3,105 beggars and lunatics to their countries and states of origin.
Oyo State with 83, Kano State 75, Osun State 67, Ekiti 21, while Ondo State had seven.

Where were the rest deported to? SE, North, SS, MB I guess.
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by Chyz2: 3:29am On May 13, 2011
Yoruba na beggars in their own land? Na wa oo
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by aloyemeka1: 3:30am On May 13, 2011
Osun State 67, Ekiti 21

I suspect these figures. Does it mean there are more indigenous Osun amajiris than wretched  Ekiti amajiris on Lagos?. Ekiti is widely known to be wretched and their indigenes are known to live in penury, how come only 21 of them were deported back to their jungle?. Lagos state is slowly becoming xenophobic sha.
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by Justcash(m): 3:32am On May 13, 2011
In their own country. Funny!
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by Nobody: 3:34am On May 13, 2011
Chyz*:

Yoruba na beggars in their own land? Na wa oo

Just like we have Igbo beggars in their own land. In a state where Nigeria's riches does not trickle to its citizen, that's expect. That's why Nigeria (well, mainly SW) had a revolutionary clean up on 4/16.

[size=18pt]Enugu First Lady warns beggars[/size]

Enugu— Mrs Clara Chime,  wife of Enugu State governor, has warned beggars to stay off  the streets or face arrest and prosecution.

Chime gave the warning, yesterday in Enugu while presenting gifts and money to some beggars arrested for parading major streets of the state.

According to her, “begging is not a good thing. I will give you money to go and start petty trading. I will also give you clothes for you and your children.

“If I catch you on the streets again, I will arrest and jail you. The annoying thing is that none of you is a destitute person because you all have houses.”

She criticised them for exposing their children to danger.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/06/enugu-first-lady-warns-beggars/

Unfortunately, Some have ceased begging and taken onto the hobby of kidnapping for ransom money.
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by aloyemeka1: 3:36am On May 13, 2011
many beggars in Igboland are either Hausa/Fulani or Somailians. There are many Hausa Fulani beggars in Igboland to the point that they cannot even afford the ticket to deport them all back to their states. Why waste money to transport these beggars back to their states when they can return the next day?. Some of them will return to Lagos before the bus that took them back home returns to lagos. Why waste Govt money frivolously?.
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by alex101(m): 4:00am On May 13, 2011
I thought yoruba land is the "America" of Africa shocked

Has that cockroach eko ole seen this? sad
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by tpia5: 4:02am On May 13, 2011
I thought yoruba land is the "America" of Africa

you may be right.

not the whole of africa- just nigeria perhaps.

same could apply to high immigration areas like ph and parts of the north.
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by Chyz2: 4:28am On May 13, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Just like we have Igbo beggars in their own land. In a state where Nigeria's riches does not trickle to its citizen, that's expect. That's why Nigeria (well, mainly SW) had a revolutionary clean up on 4/16.

Unfortunately, Some have ceased begging and taken onto the hobby of kidnapping for ransom money.

Nowhere in the article says that they were Igbo. That's not the case your people though. grin
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by Obiagu1(m): 4:31am On May 13, 2011
Ileke, you can spin as much as you want, the fact remains that Igbos don't beg. Mind you, you can never get a 100% of something, there must be rare cases here and there.

Look at how the Enugu 1st Lady acted quickly to take the 15 beggars off the street.

In Yoruba land and the North, we are talking of hundreds and thousands of beggars everywhere.

According to her, begging is not a good thing. I will give you money to go and start petty trading. I will also give you clothes for you and your children.

If I catch you on the streets again, I will arrest and jail you.

The governor's wife presented a cash of N20,000 to each of the 15 beggars as well as wrappers and insecticide- treated nets, after feeding them for two days at the Government Lodge.
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by Nobody: 4:35am On May 13, 2011
Chyz*:

Nowhere in the article says that they were Igbo. That's not the case your people though. grin

Over 3000 were deported, less than 800 went to other Yoruba states. So the rest had to come from other regions especially Igboland because of their massive migration to Yoruba states.

The main focus was on Yoruba states.
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by Obiagu1(m): 4:39am On May 13, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Over 3000 were deported, less than 800 went to other Yoruba states. So the rest had to come from other regions especially Igboland because of their massive migration to Yoruba states.

The main focus was on Yoruba states as if the numbers for Kano and Sokoto were not given. How many came from Igboland? None.

So please yourself with your spin as Yorubaland gradually turns to Almajiri land 2.0.

This is the height of denial.
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by Chyz2: 4:48am On May 13, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Maybe you can't read well or maybe you can read but have a quite bad analytical skills. Take into note that the article only conveyed the number of lunatics that were deported back to neighboring countries,but, it did not give us the number of beggars deported back to those various countries. Also, the 3000+ number includes lunatics that were also deported to various states within nigeria,but, the number of lunatics were not given. I don't blame you though, at least not completely, because the author(who happens to be yoruba), is poor in grammar. I don't even know why the article was allowed to be published without review.
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by Nobody: 4:53am On May 13, 2011
Chyz*:

Maybe you can't read well or maybe you can read but have a quite bad analytical skills. Take into note that the article only conveyed the number of lunatics that were deported back to neighboring countries,but, it did not give us the number of beggars deported back to those various countries. Also, the 3000+ number includes lunatics that were also deported to various states within nigeria,but, the number of lunatics were not given. I don't blame you though, at least not completely, because the author(who happens to be yoruba), is poor in grammar. I don't even know why the article was allowed to be published without review.

People who live in glass houses should not. . . . .

I know that the article was talking about neighboring states, not country. And the article talked about beggars who were deported back to their land of origin.

Giving a breakdown of the statistics, Badru revealed that Sokoto State had the highest number of beggars with 196 arrested on Lagos streets, followed by Oyo State with 83, Kano State 75, Osun State 67, Ekiti 21, while Ondo State had seven.

Less than 1000 beggars were deported back to other SW states, more than 2000 lunatics were deported back to SE states. Hope that solves your case of Engrish probalem.
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by Nobody: 4:56am On May 13, 2011
On the number of lunatics, he said available statistic showed that Niger Republic had the highest number of beggars and lunatics arrested by having 12, Chad Republic two and Cote d’Ivoire had one.

Okay, so 13, lets say about 20 were sent back to various countries, my bad. Less than 500 from other SW states. With high immigration of SE/SS'ners in Lagos, the rest must come from them grin
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by Chyz2: 4:57am On May 13, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Okay, so 13, lets say about 20 were sent back to various countries, my bad. Less than 500 from other SW states. With high immigration of SE/SS'ners in Lagos, the rest must come from them grin

Ileke-IdI:

People who live in glass houses should not. . . . .

I know that the article was talking about neighboring states, not country. And the article talked about beggars who were deported back to their land of origin.

Less than 1000 beggars were deported back to other SW states, more than 2000 lunatics were deported back to SE states. Hope that solves your case of Engrish probalem.

I at least thought you would come back with something to prove what I said was wrong, but instead, you lashed out with anger and couldn't put up an argument. Nice. cool
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by Obiagu1(m): 4:59am On May 13, 2011
Chyz*:

I at least thought you would come back with something to prove what I said was wrong but instead, you lashed out with anger and couldn't put up an argument. Nice. cool

Don't mind her. Next she will inundate NL will stories concerning the Igbos as if we are the cause of her problems.
She loses her sanity once in a while, the type of mental problem that often runs in families. It's not steady but will keep reoccurring intermittently.  cool
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by Nobody: 5:01am On May 13, 2011
Chyz*:

I at least thought you would come back with something to prove what I said was wrong, but instead, you lashed out with anger and couldn't put up an argument. Nice. cool

If I had shown anager, Seun would have closed this thread.

Basic analytic explanation was layed out for you. It's okay if you dont understand, it's within my expectation. Nice! cool
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by Chyz2: 5:06am On May 13, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

If I had shown anager, Seun would have closed this thread.

Basic analytic explanation was layed out for you. It's okay if you dont understand, it's within my expectation. Nice! cool

oooowww big bad Idi,lol. We are scared. Seun come save us before its too late.

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWHNCQTG6Fd1M8AkNXCcbFEz3MI8103C0YrAeAqAI6WsUyYqvn[/img]
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by Nobody: 5:08am On May 13, 2011
Chyz*:

oooowww big bad Idi,lol. We are scared. Seun come save us before its too late.

Why Seun, why not Ojukwu? grin

[size=18pt]Speaker: We’ll Report Jonathan To Ojukwu–apga [/size]

The All Progressives Grand Alliance, (APGA) has joined the league of prominent bodies and individuals who have frowned at the plan of the Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP) to give the position of the Speaker of the House of Representatives to the South-west.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/may/12/national-12-05-2011-014.htm
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by step1: 5:20am On May 13, 2011
At op

Lagos has no facility to deport a fellow Yoruba from that state because nobody has an I.D card that indicates states of origin in the SW. In Lagos alone, there are indigenous Ijebu, Awori and Egba. How can they tell if someone is a Yoruba from another state. The story is a big lie to comfort the other ethnic groups deported from the state. Even Tinubu and his wife were migrates from Osun and the former GOVERNOR of the state.

From your username, I guess you are Yoruba as well. You should know this things before you start a topic title like this.
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by eastorange: 6:15am On May 13, 2011
step1:

At op

<U>From your username, I guess you are Yoruba as well. You should know this things before you start a topic title like this.</U>

WRONG, ADEJORO is MEKUSYYX, AKIN EGBA, BABALOLA! HE HAS  MANY OTHER ALIASES
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by Desola(f): 8:17am On May 13, 2011
This doesn't sit right with me. Aren't these people Nigerians too? Rather than just removing them, couldn't they have provided correctional facilities or at least reached agreements with their state government about repartration? I don't believe that this is lawful at all. Where is their human rights? Shame on Lagos!
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by RoadStar: 10:12am On May 13, 2011
Desola:

This doesn't sit right with me. Aren't these people Nigerians too? Rather than just removing them, couldn't they have provided correctional facilities or at least reached agreements with their state government about repartration? I don't believe that this is lawful at all. Where is their human rights? Shame on Lagos!

This is the type of crass insanity you see from Nigerian government. Deporting [/b]beggars to their [b]states of origin. grin grin embarassed
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by seyibrown(f): 1:03pm On May 13, 2011
aloy/emeka:

I suspect these figures. Does it mean there are more indigenous Osun amajiris than wretched  Ekiti amajiris on Lagos?. Ekiti is widely known to be wretched and their indigenes are known to live in penury, how come only 21 of them were deported back to their jungle?. Lagos state is slowly becoming xenophobic sha.

This aloy/emeka sef, which kain yeye talk be this one about Ekiti people? Aja la j'enu re fun ko wii ni!  cheesy  cheesy You wey be say you neva waka comot for Lagos (abi na Aba) before, you com dey talk rubbish about Ekiti people!  angry  smiley  tongue
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by buffny: 1:16pm On May 13, 2011
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/06/enugu-first-lady-warns-beggars/

Enugu First Lady warns beggars
on JUNE 16, 2010 · in NEWS

Enugu— Mrs Clara Chime, wife of Enugu State governor, has warned beggars to stay off the streets or face arrest and prosecution.

Chime gave the warning, yesterday in Enugu while presenting gifts and money to some beggars arrested for parading major streets of the state.

According to her, “begging is not a good thing. I will give you money to go and start petty trading. I will also give you clothes for you and your children.

“If I catch you on the streets again, I will arrest and jail you. The annoying thing is that none of you is a destitute person because you all have houses.”

She criticised them for exposing their children to danger.

In her remarks, the Commissioner for Gender Affairs and Social Development, Mrs Ndidi Chukwu, recalled that the ministry had been taking the beggars off the streets only for them to return.
Chukwu appealed to them to make good use of the money given to them so that they would be useful to themselves and the society.

The governor’s wife presented a cash of N20,000 to each of the 15 beggars as well as wrappers and insecticide- treated nets, after feeding them for two days at the Government Lodge.

Fourteen of the beggars, who came from Ebonyi, were repatriated to their state, while the one from Awgu in Enugu State was given a job in her pet project.
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by buffny: 1:23pm On May 13, 2011
igbos be careful, before we the yoruba business group , put u out of business.

its nothing for us to raise 5 million dollars. go to china, import better quality spare parts at cheap prices. and give our boys jobs in lagos.

same thing for electroncis which we are already doing.

so just watch it okay.

ur boys are puttting us out of work.
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by EzeUche2(m): 1:46pm On May 13, 2011
^^^

That will be the day when a Yoruba can compete with an Igbo in business. I dey laugh! You all are not even on our level.

We compete with the Chinese, Lebanese and other non-Africans.

Don't think you all are the equals of the Ndigbo in business.
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by buffny: 3:42pm On May 13, 2011
EzeUche_:

^^^

That will be the day when a Yoruba can compete with an Igbo in business. I dey laugh! You all are not even on our level.

We compete with the Chinese, Lebanese and other non-Africans.

buhahahahahhaa.

dummies. selling fake shit dont mean u better. it means u are sneakier and without scruples.
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by EkoIle1: 3:47pm On May 13, 2011
EzeUche_:

^^^

That will be the day when a Yoruba can compete with an Igbo in business
. I dey laugh! You all are not even on our level.

We compete with the Chinese, Lebanese and other non-Africans

All because you sell hand me down spare parts and fake drugs?

Find something better to brag with.

lol @ shameless people
Re: Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states by Nobody: 4:01pm On May 13, 2011
aloy/emeka:

There's a rumour that they are among the most smartest beggars in the country. They got brief of this move, and disguised.

(1) (2) (Reply)

EFCC Pays N34.4m To Families Of Dead Officers / NOA Proposes Jail Term For Abuse Of National Symbols / Bomb Blast At Ile - Ife In Osun State ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.