Stats: 3,153,687 members, 7,820,394 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:13 PM

Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" (17580 Views)

469 Senators, Reps To Pocket 191,954 Civil Servants’ Monthly Salaries / NASS Management Sells Office Equipment To Outgoing Lawmakers At Give Away Prices / Why Mass Defection Of Lawmakers At NASS Is Illegal – Falana (2) (3) (4)

Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by Metrix147: 1:20am On Jul 24, 2021
An Owerri-based journalist and PR practitioner, Mr. Ikechukwu Ogbonna has said the current bicameral legislature which accommodates the Senate and House of Representatives, comprising about 469 lawmakers is no more attainable in Nigeria, insisting that current economic realities has made it outdated.

In his presentation in Owerri at the just concluded constitution review public hearing, South-East zone, Mr. Ogbonna said Nigeria must develop its own unique pattern of leadership structure instead of an imported American system which he said does not reflect the country's needs, ABN TV reports.

He said, "Nigeria’s match to democracy has been bedevilled by several failed attempts aimed at laying a solid foundation for its sustainability and development. This development has been partially stymied and derailed by copy “catism” of our constitution and its structures. We “ADOPT” rather than “ADAPT” to suit our peculiar social, economic and ethnic milieu. To ADOPT is to take something over while ADAPT is to CHANGE something to SUIT YOUR NEEDS.

"In the 1st Republic, we copied the British parliamentary system because our colonial overlords were British and felt their system was best for us. The experiment ended in a fiasco. Since the 2nd republic, we copied hook, line, and sinker, the American model of democracy and yet no respite. We need our own unique system fashioned for our peculiarities.

"Our legislative arm of government is bicameral with two houses like the American system, The Senate and the Federal House of Representatives. This paper is calling for a change to a unicameral system of legislature."

He, therefore, insisted that the operation of a bicameral system of lawmaking is a big challenge in the country's quest for an enduring democracy.

He noted that it is expensive to service the 109 Senators and 360 members of the House of Representatives which make up that National Assembly, querying why the country needs 469 legislators.

On the disadvantages of such a system, Mr. Ogbonna said, it duplicates functions, creates lopsidedness, delays in lawmaking as well as fuelling corruption and nepotism.

He said, "We usually hear that a bill has been passed into law awaiting CONCURRENCE from the other House before it is transmitted to the President for assent.

"Kano with 44 LGAs has 24 Reps, Bayelsa 5, Ebonyi 6, Katsina 15, Abia 8, Lagos 24, Kwara 6. In a federation of EQUALS, why should a state have more Representatives than two or three other states put together?

"The need for a bill and other legislative actions to pass through both Houses is an unnecessary delay and a clog in or development.

"It is enough to deal with the corrupt tendencies of one House than dealing with two. We are all aware of the cries of MDAs about the ‘oversight’ functions of our legislators. These MDAs deal with the indiscriminate demands of committees from both Houses on daily basis."

He, therefore, advocated for the House of Representatives to be scraped from the constitution, leaving only The Senate.

He underlined that, "A UNICAMERAL LEGISLATURE OPERATES IN ALL STATES OF OUR FEDERATION TILL DATE and yet are meeting up to some extent their legislative duties.

"I advocate that the number of Senators be increased to 3 per Senatorial Zone such that each state would send nine (9), rather than 3 Senators, to Abuja making a total of 216 plus 1 from FCT making 217 lawmakers instead of 469 as they are today."

https://abntv.com.ng/2021/07/constitution-review-we-dont-need-469-lawmakers-unicameral-legislature-in-nigeria-overdue-iyke-ogbonna/

48 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by colossus91(m): 1:33am On Jul 24, 2021
Loads of sense in this…,,,Special shout out to my ex that dumped me 3weeks ago……Single happy and winning!! smiley

92 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by Validated: 4:36am On Jul 24, 2021
colossus91:
Loads of sense in this
Supported ... but we do not need 9 representatives per state. All we need is 3 max. Just 109 representatives are enough.
We need an agile government structure. Even the judiciary is over bloated. Scrap all Courts of appeal and create state supreme courts instead to finalise all state related cases. We like to duplicate functions.
Scrap all election tribunals and special courts. We need only Federal high courts and nagistrate courts.
Any judge not ready to sit and finalise cases after two adjournnent should go and open a chamber and leave the vench.

165 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by Jestin: 4:53am On Jul 24, 2021
You can’t repel sugar ants from a house where there is sugar. House of rep members be like WE DIE HERE

Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by Korizy(m): 4:55am On Jul 24, 2021

Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by Tajbol4splend(m): 4:57am On Jul 24, 2021
Imagine 469 people with each one of them taking home 29m every month, without any reasonable bills, and you are still searching for why things are this bad, Buhari is a very big problem in Nigeria but he's not the only problem, just ask yourself how their salaries increased to that amount, under whose regime?

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by oluwaseunamos33(m): 4:58am On Jul 24, 2021
Yes, if possible let them be reduced to 10 cos they are just there for nothing

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by personal59: 4:59am On Jul 24, 2021
Load of Sense

Hope they hear

Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by Emma1Oj(m): 4:59am On Jul 24, 2021
Nigeria is a consuming nation not a productive nation... Our leaders are careless and senseless about productivity but are senseful and skillful in wastefulness...

496 Reps?? Kilode!!

Let's not even mention their numerous allowances o...

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by franugo(m): 5:03am On Jul 24, 2021
Will the leeches agree to leave ?

Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by phransix2: 5:05am On Jul 24, 2021
Of a truth, I see no reason for such huge amount of Legislators. We need adopt a system that works for us. This particular one has failed and it is proven. A system that can't uphold Nigeria's unity is a failed system.

Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by southernbelle(f): 5:08am On Jul 24, 2021
He makes a lot of sense but I doubt that bright ideas like this will appeal to the greedy so-called leaders.

Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by senatepresido: 5:08am On Jul 24, 2021
Good Morning Great Minds,
I will go straight to the point and please while answering my question, avoid insults and negative vibes as all I need right now are words of encouragement, I have passed through a lot.
I am a graduate of Biochemistry with a second class upper division from a federal university, after completing my NYSC in 2020, I have tried securing a good job but it seems not coming, everything is not just working fine, though I have been able to make some savings and I have tried setting up a business but it haven't seen the light of the day yet, recently on Nairaland I came across a thread that says having a professional Certificate with experience helps in job hunting than a Masters Degree.
Please I need a very good advice, what professional course can a Biochemistry graduate go for that will be beneficial and will it be better to go go for a Masters Degree while I continue to set up my business?

Pardon my error and give your advice please.

Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by gambia(m): 5:08am On Jul 24, 2021
This will never happen.
Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by Maxymilliano(m): 5:08am On Jul 24, 2021
The current bicameral legislature practice in Nigeria is a huge waste of scarce resources, especially the unproductive and rubber stamp sets we have at the moment

Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by LOVEGINO(m): 5:09am On Jul 24, 2021
na Wetin dem dey receive monthly be dis oo.

Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by Rugaria: 5:12am On Jul 24, 2021
Nigeria does not need a bicameral legislature at the federal level. Just a unicameral legislature of highly educated men. About 6 men from the 6 different sub regions. Plus - minus 30 erudite scholars/technocrats would do! They should be backed up in their offices with very bright graduates across different professions as staff and there must be laid down rulles and guidelines on how and who to recruit as legislative staffs and assistants to the federal law makers..

The state legislative houses should also be disbanded and about 30 men elected regional house members to handle legislative duties for component states/units within each sub region. This means that a single legislative house should do the legislative jobs for all the states within each of the 6 regions in existence today.. Councilors at LG levels should only exist if there are no plans for remunerations by the government! Their services should be free and communities should be the ones to suggest names based on established voting units.

Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:16am On Jul 24, 2021
SECONDED!!!

FG should Merge Agencies with immediate effects, to save our darling country lots of billions being wasted (it's overdue) and leave Civil Servants salaries alone..... Okay?

HOW NIGERIA CAN PAY MINIMUM WAGE COMFORTABLY..........

1. Abolish SECURITY VOTE in NIGERIA. Nigeria will pay N45,000 minimum wage comfortably.

2. a) Abolish CONSTITUENCY PROJECT FUNDS
b) Reduce number of ADVISERS to SENATE PRES(2), HOUSE SPEAKER(2), GOVs(4), PRESIDENT(5), VP(2)
c) Reduce current ALL Political Office Holders PAY CHEQUES by 51.5%, without exception
d) Do away with special remuneration to POLITICAL ADVISERS & PUBLIC SERVANTS e.g; Purchase of Private Vehicles, Houses, granting Govt paid Vacations, paying for 1st & Business Class Transportations, etc, etc...
e) Abolish payment of OVERSEAS MEDICAL BILLS for Political Office Holders.
f) Eliminate PRIVATE PRACTICE in public workforce
g) Eliminate participation of Public Workforce in Partisan Politics.
h) Institute EMPLOYMENT BY MERIT, and eliminate UNDEREMPLOYMENT.
i) Review and eliminate allocation of Govt paid POLITICAL AIDES & SUPPORT STAFF to Political Office Holders.

With (1) + (2) Nigeria would pay a minimum wage of N65,000 comfortably

3. Move Nigeria MORE to Private Sector Driven Economy
a) Privatise ALL of Federal Govt PARASTATALS & reduce Federal Direct Funded AGENCIES to 68% of the present.
b) Privatise ALL of STATE Govt PARASTATALS & reduce State Direct Funded AGENCIES to 19% of the present.
c) Reduce current DIRECT LABOUR JOB participation by 49%
d) Encourage more Working Hours until Nigeria economic stabilizes
e) Discourage UNIONISM in Public Workforce

With (1) + (2) + (3), Nigeria would pay a minimum wage of N101,500 comfortably.

4) Institute DEATH PENALTY to proven THEFT OF PUBLIC FUNDS no matter how little, and LIFE Jail Sentences for COLLABORATORS.

With (1) + (2) + (3) & (4), Nigeria would pay a minimum wage of N203,500 comfortably.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA
END OF DISCUSSION!

chiomadichie:
I'd substitute 4 for life imprisonment for both offences. Every other thing said makes complete sense and I totally endorse it!
Madam Chioma Adichie,
We are highly honour that your very first and only comment after exactly 2 years and 5 days of joining Nairaland is to 'totally endorse' one of our posts.
That means a lot.
A better Nigeria is all we want.
God bless you ma wherever you are this early Saturday morning!

We Rise.

18 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:16am On Jul 24, 2021
May all the politicians that brought this foolish and money consuming idea and the rubbish 1999 constitution that has led us to where we are as a nation be punished forever.

No matter the political party they are.

ILoveDemMANNA:
Most of them only sleep in that their so called house.
They have nothing to contribute to the development of the nation.
They are supposed to be paid sitting allowance.
Most of them don't even have a personal business of their own.
They have turned politics to a money making venture.

Barawos dem.

Gbamsolutely!
God bless you.
You are one of the sane and sensible members of Nairaland.
May you live long.
Pm.

5 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by MVLOX(m): 5:19am On Jul 24, 2021
It makes complete sense sadly this is Nigeria where the political class want to weaponize poverty so that they can continue to dictate and manipulate the poor.

Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by BluntCrazeMan: 5:26am On Jul 24, 2021
I was even asking why the Nigerian Constitution didn't limit “the number of tenures of Lawmakers”, just like it limited those of the Governors and Presidents..
AND NONE OF THEM BROUGHT THE ISSUE
UP IN ALL THEIR EXERCISES SO FAR TOWARDS THE REVIEW OF THE
CONSTITUTION.

Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by kingsceedon(m): 5:26am On Jul 24, 2021
Nigeria problem (Hausas) no go like this news, cowards

Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by ILoveDemMANNA: 5:27am On Jul 24, 2021
Most of them only sleep in that their so called house.
They have nothing to contribute to the development of the nation.
They are supposed to be paid sitting allowance.
Most of them don't even have a personal business of their own.
They have turned politics to a money making venture.

Barawos dem.

Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by shox(m): 5:27am On Jul 24, 2021
Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by wpadmin: 5:28am On Jul 24, 2021
facts
Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by olmoRoc: 5:29am On Jul 24, 2021
Validated:

Supported ... but we do not need 9 representatives per state. All we need is 3 max. Just 109 representatives are enough.
We need an agile government structure. Even the judiciary is over bloated. Scrap all Courts of appeal and create state supreme courts instead to finalise all state related cases. We like to duplicate functions.
Scrap all election tribunals and special courts. We need only Federal high courts and nagistrate courts.
Any judge not ready to sit and finalise cases after two adjournnent should go and open a chamber and leave the vench.

Thank you very much. I was going to leave a similar comment. We only need 3 looters from each state representing their interests.

Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by ohosi4real(m): 5:31am On Jul 24, 2021
I disagree with that opinion sir, what Nigeria need is to killed all Nigeria leaders and to refresh Nigeria in young country and started over. The new leaders will be :
A native doctor for president,
Pastor for vice president
Iman for legislative president
Than Nigerians will thank me later

Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by Wiseandtrue(f): 5:32am On Jul 24, 2021
Supported!

But let the North and the South be equally represented!

Modified:
dmbb:

They don't have equal land space and population
Of what use is the land Who occupy Sambisa

A united Nigeria would have ceded these lands to other states instead of allowing bandits and terrorists to occupy them!

Re: Constitution Review: "We Don't Need 469 Lawmakers At National Assembly" by BluntCrazeMan: 5:32am On Jul 24, 2021
There is Trouble In Paradise..
The Political Class Won't Like This Development.
So, They Wouldn't Want It To Be Actualized

Yahaya Bello Survived 3 Assassination Attempts - Kogi Government / APC Councillor In Ogun Admits Membership Of Kidnap Gang (photo) / This Israeli Soldier Has Igbo Name:. Picture.