Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,182 members, 7,818,580 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:12 PM

How I Became An Atheist. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How I Became An Atheist. (8130 Views)

Why I Became An Atheist / Shiloh: I Became A Minister After Bishop Oyedepo Prayed For Me - Betta Edu / I'm An Atheist That Thinks That Premarital Sex Is Wrong. Is This Unusual? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Became An Atheist. by Workch: 8:09pm On Jul 27, 2021
It’s no surprise that I am an atheist, but one thing people don’t know about me is that I was a Christian for 28years. Yes 28years.

I was not just a Christian, I had full membership in my church and was a member of the choir. I was born into a Christian home, we had morning and evening devotions everyday as a child. My dad personally tried indoctrinating us a lot, we read the Bible every single day and then he explains but seriously even as a child a lot of the stories didn’t add up but I was scared that I was being blasphemous.
I remember a day my dad was teaching us about Noah’s flood and then we got to that point where god said he’s using the rainbow as a sign to remind humanity that he would never destroy earth with flood. Even as a 9years old, that part didn’t make sense to me, because I see it in the news frequently of flood destroying farms, properties and even killing people. I asked my dad and he didn’t give me a reasonable explanation.
As a teenager, I started teaching Sunday school to kids in church, I taught them that god never change but in my mind, I wasn’t convinced because while reading the Bible, there many instances of god changing his mind and even regretting his decisions. I always think about it that the god of Old Testament seems different from what is portrayed in the New Testament, something changed. I kept a lot of things to myself because people around were so religious and would quickly rebuke me for such reasoning.
As time goes on, I joined the choir, I learn drums and keyboard, I sang choir ministrations and even wrote songs for my church choir. All these while, it wasn’t clear, I was just scared to come out fully.

I got admitted into the university to study biochemistry. Being someone that is very inquisitive, I started asking so many questions in respect to the relationship between living organisms. After having background knowledge in genetics, molecular biology and biological metabolism, it was clear that every living thing are the same basically. At this point, I didn’t even understand the theory of evolution properly but I had seen the a fairly clear picture. I had to go back and then study the theory of evolution properly (took weeks), because the impression I had from secondary school was that an ape turned into human. Our biology teachers, just like every other biology teachers in Nigerian schools, were so bad at teaching the theory of evolution. Seems like a lot of them didn’t even understand it.

Fast forward, I graduated, I still believed god existed. since after I properly studied the theory of evolution, I started holding the notion that God presided over evolution and the Bible is somehow consistent with the theory of evolution. This idea was born out of the sheer fear of not wanting to sound blasphemous to my beloved ones. After I graduated, I started reading wide, I didn’t like physics in school but I started reading physics (specifically quantum and astrophysics), I discovered about Big Bang theory, theory of relativity, string theory etc, it took a lot of time before I could grasp them but when I did, it became clearer that the Bible is not consistent with anything in reality.

It was difficult for me to accept this truth because I didn’t want to be seen as a blasphemer, not until I had the opportunity to run my masters degree abroad in clinical biochemistry. I met with lot of renown and brilliant people in the field of biochemistry. They were realistic in their beliefs and will not believe anything unless you can back it with evidence. I became bolder with time, we shared ideas as I studied. Th society gives everyone liberty and I was very free to come out clean with my realistic traits. A lot of my lecturers didn’t believe in god. I became a full fledged atheist in Europe by the time I finished my program.

Today, I have done several works and I still keep reading to find the truth, so far I haven’t seen anything consistent with the Christian God. I am back in Nigeria and trust me, I don’t have lot of friends for this reason. I have just two friends and they are both agnostic ( I made them agnostic because they are open minded and also brilliant Phd holders in biochemistry).

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Ynix(m): 8:20pm On Jul 27, 2021
Workch:
It’s no surprise that I am an atheist, but one thing people don’t know about me is that I was a Christian for 28years. Yes 28years.

I was not just a Christian, I had full membership in my church and was a member of the choir. I was born into a Christian home, we had morning and evening devotions everyday as a child. My dad personally tried indoctrinating us a lot, we read the Bible every single day and then he explains but seriously even as a child a lot of the stories didn’t add up but I was scared that I was being blasphemous.
I remember a day my dad was teaching us about Noah’s flood and then we got to that point where god said he’s using the rainbow as a sign to remind humanity that he would never destroy earth with flood. Even as a 9years old, that part didn’t make sense to me, because I see it in the news frequently of flood destroy farms, properties and even killing people. I asked my dad and he didn’t give me a reasonable explanation.
As a teenager, I started teaching Sunday school to kids in the church, I taught them that god never change but in my mind, I wasn’t convinced because while reading the Bible, there many instances of god changing his mind and even regretting his decisions. I always think about it that the god of Old Testament seems different from what is portrayed in the New Testament, something changed. I kept a lot of things to myself because people around were so religious and would quickly rebuke me for such reasoning.
As time goes on, I joined the choir, I learn drums and keyboard, I sang choir ministrations and even wrote songs for my church choir. All these while, it wasn’t clear, I was just scared to come out fully.

I got admitted into the university to study biochemistry. Being someone that is very inquisitive, I started asking so many questions in respect to the relationship between living organisms. After having background knowledge in genetics, molecular biology and biological metabolism, it was clear that every living thing are the same basically. At this point, I didn’t even understand the theory of evolution properly but I had seen the a fairly clear picture. I had to go back and then study the theory of evolution properly (took weeks), because the impression I had from secondary school was that an ape turned into human. Our biology teachers, just like every other biology teachers in Nigerian schools, were so bad at teaching the theory of evolution. Seems like a lot of them didn’t even understand it.

Fast forward, I graduated, I still believed god existed. since after I properly studied the theory of evolution, I started holding the notion that God presided over evolution and the Bible is somehow consistent with the theory of evolution. This idea was born out of the sheer fear of not wanting to sound blasphemous to my beloved ones. After I graduated, I started reading wide, I didn’t like physics in school but I started reading physics (specifically quantum and astrophysics), I discovered about Big Bang theory, theory of relativity, string theory etc, it took a lot of time before I could grasp them but when I did, it became clearer that the Bible is not consistent with anything in reality.

It was difficult for me to accept this truth because I didn’t want to be seen as a blasphemer, not until I had the opportunity to run my masters degree abroad in clinical biochemistry. I met with lot of renown and brilliant people in the field of biochemistry. They were realistic in their beliefs and will not believe anything unless you can back it with evidence. I became bolder with time, we shared ideas as I studied. Th society gives everyone liberty and I was very free to come out clean with my realistic traits. A lot of my lecturers didn’t believe in god. I became a full fledged atheist in Europe by the time I finished my program.

Today, I have done several personal works and I still keep reading to find the truth, so far I haven’t seen anything consistent with the Christian God. I am back in Nigeria and trust me, I don’t have lot of friends for this reason. I have just two friends and they are both agnostic ( I made them agnostic because they are open minded and also brilliant Phd holders in biochemistry).

The books you read have finally confused you, let me be sincere I believe I went farther than you, please do not allow knowledge that are just fact to deceive you

2 Likes

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by budaatum: 8:25pm On Jul 27, 2021
This should be a lesson to indoctrinators. You may try to indoctrinate your child with what you wish it believes, but as it grows it would mature to use it's own brain and mind to seek understanding, and your indoctrination may lead it astray.

P.s. Op, Jesus is Lord and Mohammad is a Prophet and a book is just a book.

2 Likes

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Workch: 8:27pm On Jul 27, 2021
Ynix:

The books you read have finally confused you, let me be sincere I believe I went farther than you, please do not allow knowledge that are just fact to deceive you
So what are the evidence you got? I will be happy to get this clear.

I like going to the church to sing and play keyboard. I will happy if there’s evidence for god but right now, I haven’t seen any.

1 Like

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by kestolove95(m): 8:28pm On Jul 27, 2021
start studying the Qur'an.....I bet you, u will thank me lerra

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by sonofthunder: 8:29pm On Jul 27, 2021
Workch:

I remember a day my dad was teaching us about Noah’s flood and then we got to that point where god said he’s using the rainbow as a sign to remind humanity that he would never destroy earth with flood. Even as a 9years old, that part didn’t make sense to me, because I see it in the news frequently of flood destroy farms, properties and even killing people. I asked my dad and he didn’t give me a reasonable explanation.
As a teenager, I started teaching Sunday school to kids in the church, I taught them that god never change but in my mind, I wasn’t convinced because while reading the Bible, there many instances of god changing his mind and even regretting his decisions. I always think about it that the god of Old Testament seems different from what is portrayed in the New Testament, something changed. I kept a lot of things to myself because people around were so religious and would quickly rebuke me for such reasoning.

Today, I have done several personal works and I still keep reading to find the truth, so far I haven’t seen anything consistent with the Christian God. I am back in Nigeria and trust me, I don’t have lot of friends for this reason. I have just two friends and they are both agnostic ( I made them agnostic because they are open minded and also brilliant Phd holders in biochemistry).

So what's your point or why the thread? Do you need an "Atheist Section" to share your testimony with your "brethren"?

3 Likes

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by XXXXTENTACION: 8:35pm On Jul 27, 2021
Religion na wash.... undecided

3 Likes

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by MufasaLion: 8:35pm On Jul 27, 2021
Nice thread! We all go through this stage in life and some of us still keep going through it.

4 Likes

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Workch: 8:38pm On Jul 27, 2021
kestolove95:
start studying the Qur'an.....I bet you, u will thank me lerra
You think I haven’t read the Quran?

I have gone as far as reading the Hindu Dharma-shastra, Book of Mormon, Midrash and even the gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

None is consistent with reality. Of all, the Hindu Dharma-shastra and Buddhist Sutras is closest to reality but still full of fictions

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by kestolove95(m): 8:41pm On Jul 27, 2021
Workch:
You think I haven’t read the Quran?

I have gone as far as reading the Hindu Dharma-shastra, Book of Mormon, Midrash and even the gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

None is consistent with reality. Of all, the Hindu Dharma-shastra and Buddhist Sutras is closest to reality but still full of fictions
ok, u can continue ur atheist system
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by KnownUnknown: 8:41pm On Jul 27, 2021
Workch:

This part I conceive to be the most important and consequential of your post. You are now partly awake to how the world is, unfortunately many of your compatriots will never unshackle themselves from the slavery of comfortable lies. Imagine if your teachers, educators, and scientists in Nigeria did not have their intellect constrained by their beliefs; they could have eradicated malaria through evolutionary research about mosquitoes, instead malaria remains a prayer point.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by A001: 8:41pm On Jul 27, 2021
Interesting story.
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by illicit(m): 8:43pm On Jul 27, 2021
That book of Mormon is the wackest book I have ever come across lol

1 Like

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Iyasaburi: 8:44pm On Jul 27, 2021
Bros, I think you are straying,. Life does not end with chemistry and physics. The physical is controlled by the spiritual. There is much more to life, the world than what man can fantom. What you need is humidity and don't waste the privilege you've been given.
God bless you.

1 Like

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Workch: 8:51pm On Jul 27, 2021
KnownUnknown:

This part I conceive to be the most important and consequential of your post. You are now partly awake to how the world is, unfortunately many of your compatriots will never unshackle themselves from the slavery of comfortable lies. Imagine if your teachers, educators, and scientists in Nigeria did not have their intellect constrained by their beliefs; they could have eradicated malaria through evolutionary research about mosquitoes, instead malaria remains a prayer point.
Malaria is very easy to eradicate with the proper mentality and political will to invest in research. We can make and release GM male mosquitoes with the gene that passes to the offspring to kill female progeny at larval stage, it has proven to be very effective in Europe and U.S.

But here we are, Africa can’t solve any problem because they are overly religious and it affect their sense of reasoning. They prefer importing antimalarial drugs and the developed world know this hence they won’t solve the problem for us.

Since I came back to Nigeria, I have not practiced, there’s almost nothing like research in biochemistry in Nigeria. It’s virtually non-existent.

12 Likes

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Workch: 8:53pm On Jul 27, 2021
Iyasaburi:
Bros, I think you are straying,. Life does not end with chemistry and physics. The physical is controlled by the spiritual. There is much more to life, the world than what man can fantom. What you need is humidity and don't waste the privilege you've been given.
God bless you.
You have evidence for the spiritual?

1 Like

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by KnownUnknown: 8:54pm On Jul 27, 2021
Workch:

Since I came back to Nigeria, I have not practiced, there’s almost nothing like research in biochemistry in Nigeria. It’s virtually non-existent.

I am very sorry.
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Workch: 8:57pm On Jul 27, 2021
KnownUnknown:

I am very sorry.
No apologies bro. Not your fault
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by ThothHermes: 9:04pm On Jul 27, 2021
Workch:
Your faculties of spiritual perception are deadened. So you won't be able to perceive the evidence even if it landed on your head.
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Workch: 9:06pm On Jul 27, 2021
ThothHermes:
Your faculties of spiritual perception are deadened. So you won't be able to perceive the evidence even if it landed on your head.
Is this another way of saying you don’t have evidence?

8 Likes

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Deborah98(f): 9:10pm On Jul 27, 2021
Righteousness2 can handle this,op is really confused this one has claims to have read almost all the books in this world and none could satisfy his curiosity...

1 Like

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by kingxsamz(m): 9:23pm On Jul 27, 2021
Iyasaburi:
God bless you.

Why didn't you people control the spiritual to prevent Buhari from becoming president?

4 Likes

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by kingxsamz(m): 9:29pm On Jul 27, 2021
The fact is that a lot of Christians, Infact, most have this feeling of doubt. They have these numerous questions they'd like to ask. They see the contradictions, they see how rules and laws made by their god are being broken by this same god in their bible. They know that their beliefs can't stand logic, but they are too scared. They are afraid of hell, they're scared of losing their life, they're afraid of being castigated by their own family members. So they keep lying to themselves. Telling themselves "God works in mysterious ways". The moment a Christian starts becoming curious and takes a bold step to question irrational beliefs in their religion, the lies and indoctrination begin to wear off. "Thank God" for Nairaland, I for dey alter by now dey pray for wetin no loss.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by FreedomArmy: 9:32pm On Jul 27, 2021
Workch:

I remember a day my dad was teaching us about Noah’s flood and then we got to that point where god said he’s using the rainbow as a sign to remind humanity that he would never destroy earth with flood. Even as a 9years old, that part didn’t make sense to me, because I see it in the news frequently of flood destroying farms, properties and even killing people. I asked my dad and he didn’t give me a reasonable explanation.
As a teenager, I started teaching Sunday school to kids in church, I taught them that god never change but in my mind, I wasn’t convinced because while reading the Bible, there many instances of god changing his mind and even regretting his decisions. I always think about it that the god of Old Testament seems different from what is portrayed in the New Testament, something changed. I kept a lot of things to myself because people around were so religious and would quickly rebuke me for such reasoning.

Today, I have done several works and I still keep reading to find the truth, so far I haven’t seen anything consistent with the Christian God. I am back in Nigeria and trust me, I don’t have lot of friends for this reason. I have just two friends and they are both agnostic ( I made them agnostic because they are open minded and also brilliant Phd holders in biochemistry).
google signature in the cell by Stephen Meyer. Read it and see his argument against the theory of evolution. You must not be an atheist just because you didn't have everything clear.
I have also red quantum physics and came to understand that at the base level,we all are made of discrete particles not different from one another. Infact it seems as if we are in a digital simulation.

3 Likes

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Dtruthspeaker: 9:39pm On Jul 27, 2021
Workch:
So what are the evidence you got? I will be happy to get this clear.

I like going to the church to sing and play keyboard. I will happy if there’s evidence for god but right now, I haven’t seen any.

grin I have answered you 3 consecutive times and you could not reasonably and validly oppose at each and every engagement.

So when you say there is No Evidence, remember that it is impossible for a blind man as you have chosen to become to ever tell the difference between a Pontiac Vibe and Matrix!
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Adamgeneral12: 9:40pm On Jul 27, 2021
Water don pass garri,even go sell of flying spag dey undecided

1 Like

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Workch: 9:42pm On Jul 27, 2021
FreedomArmy:
google signature in the cell by frank tripler. Read it and see his argument against the theory of evolution. You must not be an atheist just because you didn't have everything clear.
I have also red quantum physics and came to understand that at the base level,we all are made of discrete particles not different from one another. Infact it seems as if we are in a digital simulation.
I think Stephen wrote this books and not Franklin.

That dude is such a hilarious creationist. I can tell you why science can never take him seriously

1 Like

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by FreedomArmy: 9:49pm On Jul 27, 2021
Workch:
I think Stephen wrote this books and not Franklin.

That dude is such a hilarious creationist. I can tell you why science can never take him seriously
thanks for the correction.its Stephen Meyer who wrote the book. This guy holds a PhD in the philosophy of science. His argument is consistent with the latest scientific discovery. You cant just dismiss him until you have red the book. He has engaged with notable scientist in the subject of origin of life and looking at his background,you can't just dismiss him. You can also look up his videos on YouTube and listen to his argument.
Signature in the cell by Stephen Meyer. You need to read it
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Iyasaburi: 9:51pm On Jul 27, 2021
Workch:

It is faith, my brother. You only believe! Our lives doesn't ends here. Be humble!

1 Like

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Workch: 9:53pm On Jul 27, 2021
FreedomArmy:
google signature in the cell by frank tripler. Read it and see his argument against the theory of evolution. You must not be an atheist just because you didn't have everything clear.
The book written by Stephen Meyer is not only largely philosophical but fallacious in that regard

He argued Based on cause and effect to explain intelligent design which will philosophically lead to an infinite regress of infinitesimal causes. He didn’t even provide evidence for this.

Secondly, dude said since we have not found evidence for chemical Evolution, chance is that intelligent design must have occurred. That’s a serious case of fallacy of appealing to ignorance. Because we haven’t find the evidence is not evidence that god did it. You have to find evidence for your “god did it” still.

Thirdly, he did not argue against evolution, you seem not to understand his premise. He argued against abiogenesis, he didn’t say that evolution didn’t occur, he only concluded that the process must have been designed. He’s just an average Christian trying to look for evidence for his conclusions instead of the doing it the other way. You see why he can’t be taken seriously?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Workch: 9:54pm On Jul 27, 2021
Iyasaburi:

It is faith, my brother. You only believe! Our lives doesn't ends here. Be humble!
I have faith that unicorns exist.

How do you intend verifying that?

3 Likes

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Dtruthspeaker: 9:54pm On Jul 27, 2021
Workch:

As a teenager, I started teaching

See madness! An "he don't know" never learnt to know and then thereafter went on to be a mini-teacher!

Why would you not be an hater of God when you never knew?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? / The First Church Of Lucifer Has Been Sites In Coulunbia. / Should Religion Be Important In A Relationship?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.