Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,251 members, 7,953,934 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:17 AM

Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? (8244 Views)

This Lady Claims She Is Going To Hell Fire And So Proud Of It ( Photos ) / Pastor Adeboye: A Jet is Necessary For God's Work / Is Suffering Necessary For Salvation? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 1:35pm On Nov 29, 2012
My fellow Christians, is going to Church necessary for salvation? Back your answer with scripture if possible. Your contributions on this would be appreciated. Thank you!
Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 7:37am On Dec 01, 2012
bump
Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by Goshen360(m): 7:47am On Dec 01, 2012
Op,

You are the church and a church cannot go to church. You, as a church can only fellowship with other members of the church, not forsaking the assembly of ourselves.

12 Likes

Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 8:01am On Dec 01, 2012
^Wow, great! I like the way you simply put it. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by Goshen360(m): 8:06am On Dec 01, 2012
You're welcome bro. Study the word vigorously. Be determined to know the word for yourself and don't forsake the assembly of the brethren.

3 Likes

Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by CrazyMan(m): 9:23am On Dec 01, 2012
Goshen360: You're welcome bro. Study the word vigorously. Be determined to know the word for yourself and don't forsake the assembly of the brethren.
Well said...

Also...you should note that the right church can be a wonderful blessing that brings us closer to God.

And the wrong church can be just the opposite.

Whether or not a particular church is "right" or "wrong" depends on whether or not it helps you.

It might be the right church for you and the wrong one for me.

However, I don't believe we have to go to church to be saved.

All we have to do is seek a relationship with God through Christ.

If going to church strengthens that relationship, by all means, please go.

If it does not, put that same time and energy into something that does strengthen it, like simply talking to God through prayer, reading your bible...etc, like goshen360 suggested.

Good luck.

6 Likes

Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 9:50am On Dec 01, 2012
^I used to be a regular church goer, but I started backsliding when I discovered that what they preach and practice doesn't just go with what the bible says.

Recently, a few friends invited me to their churches but I found out that their lust for material things, prosperity teachings and tithing has beclouded the reason why Christ died for us 'salvation'. These signs of end times that churches are supposed to be preaching salvation and enouraging believers to strengthen their faith, they're busy preaching about riches and prosperity!

Thanks @crazyman, I think I will stick to studying the Bible and sharing with others outside the church. Because it seems church aint working for me, it only discourages me. Thanks again for your advice.

3 Likes

Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 11:28am On Dec 01, 2012
Going to Church is not compulsory for salvation; like brah Goshen & Crazyman said, your body is the Church/Temple of the Most High but then we are also advised not to forsake the assembly of ourselves (Hebrews 10:25). This could be achieved online or normal traditional gathering with brethrens & sisters, not necessarily a specific Church because your body is what the scripture referred to as the temple of God (1Corinthians 6:19-29)!

All you need for salvation is to believe in Christ and study your Bible everyday to strengthen your faith. Share with brothers online if you have problems deciphering anything in the scripture. Pray always (1 Thessalonians 5:17) and ask the Holy Spirit to direct your path.

I'll leave you with these passages:

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not
believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

1John 5:1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.

Peace

2 Likes

Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by Snowwy: 11:57am On Dec 01, 2012
@OP,
Going to church is not necessary for salvation. Jesus is the only way to salvation. It is only through Christ that you can be saved. Church is not salvation, Jesus is.
However for some to be saved, they may only be able to hear the words of God in church, if no one preaches to them or they do not study the bible.

After you are saved, it is very necessary to fellowship with the church/brethren. The church is not perfect and that is where you can fit in to teach others by example as well. Also, staying away from church because you are more holy than others will do you no good. Be the example of the believer and it will help you disciple others.

1 Like

Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by Joagbaje(m): 12:51pm On Dec 01, 2012
Church attendance is a vital part of Christianity. A christian who can't submit himself to leadership in a church is a rebel.

Hebrews 10:25
Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Dec 01, 2012
[quote author=Joagbaje]
Church attendance is a vital part of Christianity.

There is no such thing as church attendance mentioned in the bible. The church can meet anywhere, it does not have to be in a specific building , at a specific location or of a particular size.

The church, which consists of the called out ones, assemble together in homes, designated buildings and parks with no particular order of service.

The organised system of so called church where one man is the head , is just a continuation of the catholic system of worship , no different. It is an oppressive system that kills the individual for the sake of universal uniformity even at the expense of truth.

A christian who can't submit himself to leadership in a church is a rebel.

Define leadership ?

In the early church , the leaders were the servants of the people, in this day and age the leaders are demi-gods and demagogues who lord it over the sheep and operate an almost communist type of government , where dissent is not encouraged.

6 Likes

Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Dec 01, 2012
Joagbaje:
Church attendance is a vital part of Christianity. A christian who can't submit himself to leadership in a church is a rebel.

Hebrews 10:25
Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

The topic is about salvation. Stick to it! Or are you saying we are all comdemned because we don't attend any Church in a traditional way? Is online fellowship/Bible study also not an example of assembling ourselves together? Answer the op -Is going to Church necessary for salvation?

3 Likes

Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by Joagbaje(m): 1:26pm On Dec 01, 2012
Ok It is necessary for salvation. So go to church
Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by Smartiegurl(f): 1:44pm On Dec 01, 2012
Yeah i thnk is really neccessary cuz you wil only be led by your instincts even when they ar wrong,there the church helps a lot in helping undastnd so much dat needs to be undastood abt being a christian. In other not to be an ignorant man, u got to be going 2 church 2 undastnd more abt Salvation cuz left 4 u alone u wil knw nothng.

1 Like

Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Dec 01, 2012
Thank y'all for your inputs. God bless
Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by otokx(m): 2:52pm On Dec 01, 2012
Nigerian churches - definitely not

2 Likes

Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Dec 01, 2012
Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by clemz85(m): 3:05pm On Dec 01, 2012
CrazyMan:
Well said...

Also...you should note that the right church can be a wonderful blessing that brings us closer to God.

And the wrong church can be just the opposite.

Whether or not a particular church is "right" or "wrong" depends on whether or not it helps you.

It might be the right church for you and the wrong one for me.

However, I don't believe we have to go to church to be saved.

All we have to do is seek a relationship with God through Christ.

If going to church strengthens that relationship, by all means, please go.

If it does not, put that same time and energy into something that does strengthen it, like simply talking to God through prayer, reading your bible...etc, like goshen360 suggested.

Good luck.
thanks Bro
Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by acidtalk: 3:06pm On Dec 01, 2012
So many people are church goers but they will end up like this. (View the thread below)

Spiritual Leaders and Their Congregations Final Destination

https://www.nairaland.com/1118031/religious-leaders-followers-take-walk
Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by Clemzy16(m): 3:09pm On Dec 01, 2012
Different strokes for different folks. Going to church is not necessarily the road to salvation. Living an holy and sinless life is what matters most. Afterall, there are some people that go to church regularly but do not act according to the words of the scripture.
Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by Benito69(m): 3:12pm On Dec 01, 2012
Going to church is like......
taking your car to buy fuel
taking your car to mechanic for maintenance
going to the market to buy foodstuffs to cook
Going to church and not just hearing the sermon but also doing will help deepen the roots of your salvation.
Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by OmoTier1(m): 3:13pm On Dec 01, 2012
Going to church is not a prerequisite for salvation, however, salvation is a total package that also demand of you to assemble with those of the household of the faith. I see many here trying to justify their not assembling in a church, whilst this topic is strictly about salvation and church attendance as a prerequisite, however it is pertinent to say that having received that salvation, you need to be tutored rightly about the kingdom of God and it's principle for living here on earth else you will be living dangerously in the kingdom.

1 Like

Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by bejay766: 3:15pm On Dec 01, 2012
@ op, it is not just good but very important. Proverbs 27:17 says Iron sharpens Iron. You need to stay in the house (in assembly of one another) to get distilled word of God under a good bible teacher not preacher. People have also quoted the book of Hebrews to buttress the idea. Remember, Christianity is a life , not a religion.
Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Dec 01, 2012
Clemzy16: Different strokes for different folks. Going to church is not necessarily the road to salvation. Living an holy and sinless life is what matters most. Afterall, there are some people that go to church regularly but do not act according to the words of the scripture.
If it is by works alone which u just expressed above( Living an holy and sinless life) then the death of Christ is τ̅☺ no effect for through righteousness no one can make it but christ is our Righteousness..
Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works,lest any man should boast.
Romans 3:28
28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
But that doesn't mean we should ignore the law or no do what is right ooooo, as pointed ☺u̶̲̥̅̊T in verse 31 of the same Chapter
31:Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Thanks
Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by OmoTier1(m): 3:18pm On Dec 01, 2012
otokx: Nigerian churches - definitely not

If you like go to a white man church, the mere fact that you have a spirit that divides the church simply means any church you attend will never be a blessing to you.
Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by tchaik(m): 3:20pm On Dec 01, 2012
doubleDx: My fellow Christians, is going to Church necessary for salvation? Back your answer with scripture if possible. Your contributions on this would be appreciated. Thank you!

@OP, who damned me in the first place?
Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by OmoTier1(m): 3:26pm On Dec 01, 2012
tchaik:

@OP, who damned me in the first place?
Living in denial would not help you in anyway. You were condemned by your sinful nature at birth. Adams nature that once ruled humanity condemned you at birth. By one sin ruled over many, so also by one shall many be justified unto righteousness. Adams fall at the beginning meant everyone after his lineage also took upon them that sinful nature, but God paid the price and brought the gift of salvation that anyone who so believe on the name of Jesus and confess his lordship can no longer be held bound by that sinful nature. Hence your Salvation is from sin and reunion with God in the fellowship of his spirit.
Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by Bryan12(m): 3:31pm On Dec 01, 2012
MORE OR LESS,HERE IN HEBREWS THE BIBLE SAYS...thereby forsaking not the gatherings of brethrens.Not that its necessary or not necessary its to fulfill all righteousness like jesus chris said
Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by taigee: 3:43pm On Dec 01, 2012
Goshen360: Op,

You are the church and a church cannot go to church. You, as a church can only fellowship with other members of the church, not forsaking the assembly of ourselves.

Nowhere in the scriptures is the believer called church, Paul said our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit not church. The church is clearly painted in scriptures as an organised body of believers in Christ with one purpose and one heart.
It is not just a physical gathering, but a spiritual gathering for the purpose of corporate Worship that has great spiritual benefits to the one in attendance. Note: The body of 3 Million Jews liberated from Egypt were referred to as the church in the wilderness (Acts 7:38, Heb 12:22-24).
Its an organised body, meeting in a chosen place, headed by a chosen leader, with the purpose of united worship and fellowship. It is not an online discussion forum.
Most of u Scholars (Frosbel, Goshen360, Pastorkum etc) on Nairaland come here to teach your heresy; your main aim is to distort laid down tested and proven scriptural injunctions and deceive all those with itching ears and eyes. Somebody wants to justify his decision to stop going to church? you don't need to, just make your choice.
Salvation is instant, but must be maintained through Holy living and Spiritual growth which attending the right church helps you to do.
For me: Going to church is for my benefit.
Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by Suregod(f): 3:59pm On Dec 01, 2012
yes dear,cos it helps to boost ur spiritual life
Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Dec 01, 2012
If going with sincere heart,but going in order to fulfill all righteousness is wrong.
Where two or more people are gathered,am in their midst,says the Lord.

2 Likes

Re: Is Going To Church Necessary For Salvation? by ojophilip11: 4:02pm On Dec 01, 2012
Goin †̥ church is very important cos †ђξ scripture said do not forsake †ђξ assembly of my people, apart from d@ hearing words of God will make U̶̲̥̅̊ †̥ stand firm in †ђξ Lord

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Genotype Important When Considering Marriage In Islam? / The Biggest Church In Nigeria, Some Say, Mfm, Redeem,cele Etc, So Tell Niger / Correct Lyrics To Some Common Songs (praise And Worship)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.