Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,668 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:08 PM

How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? (11972 Views)

Too Many Young People Are Getting Stuck 2-5yrs After Graduation / Young People: Can You Manage Freedom / Which Profession Do You Think Has The Most Rude Set Of People? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by zanshi: 11:07pm On Jul 30, 2021
One thing they never told us back in Uni was how to maximise networking well enough in our social circle for career advancement, Ahmadu Bello University amongst a few, seems to be only higher level institution in my opinion that has utilized career networking to the fullest , ensuring every ex student of theirs is pushed to the top of their careers. You see them everywhere from ex ministers to governors to directors in federal government parastalls. That is to say, there must be something aside academia that is being instilled in Ahmadu Bello University students that makes them strive for excellence outside the four walls of the university.

I would like to trim my focus of Gen-Z and Millennials as to how we can do better in this regard. I went to a good private school both for High school and University, and i can tell you for a fact that i only maintain decent relationship with a few of my ex classmates and this is partly because some silly reasons some still hold dear to their hearts, ego, malice to name a few. Even when i was in high school i never got along with all of my classmate even though i feel some of them behave obnoxious, silly and arrogant. University wasn't any different a lot of boys in my class never really mingled with any of our classmates even when i reach out to some of my friends and ask if they heard from any of our ex classmates, they say aside from me, they haven't heard from anyone else. I have also tried reaching to classmates i haven't heard from and the experience left a sour taste in my mouth because some of them feel you are practically doing too much. While this are situations that i have experienced, this is not far fetched from what a lot of my friends in my circle have experienced too.

One important lesson i learnt from networking with people is that it can plug you into a plethora of opportunities you may never have taught of. I made my first million supplying Agro allied by reaching out to someone who kept telling me "NO" more than 3 times and when i wen to him the fourth, he taught to the A to Z of the trade. A friend of my dad who worked in cooperate finance as a mid level staff got to work with people installing mast in eastern Nigeria by just reaching out to a friend back in high school, today as i speak, he got built his mansion under 3 months which was worth about N70m. I

Opportunities abound around us dear young people, but if we can put ego aside and be willing to work as part of something that brings value, regardless of whether we get credit for it or not. One other lesson young should also try and imbibe is that we may at certain point in our lives drop the "Solo" mentality of me doing it by myself and no help needed and be willing to join forces to bring a business or idea to life. Financing a business these days is tough work, and we should be willing to join our resources with others to bring a business into life. A lot of young people also need to create the "atmosphere to be accessible", the wrong attitude can fend people off of your because they may find your attitude too toxic for them.

93 Likes 13 Shares

Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by TalkTalkTwins(m): 9:17am On Aug 01, 2021
I discovered I made ftc after dropping this comment...

This August go stew well well

Happy New month guys

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by Bedtec: 9:17am On Aug 01, 2021
x

1 Like

Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by temitope27(m): 9:18am On Aug 01, 2021
Is networking Nigeria problem nw

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by freshkpomo(m): 9:18am On Aug 01, 2021
Please sign the petition on my signature
Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by TheWolfen(m): 9:18am On Aug 01, 2021
No doubt but one can hardly trust people these days. There are many horrible stories that are opposite to yours and trust me anyone will think twice before dealing with old colleagues or friends. Don't blame them they just trying to stay safe from toxic people

12 Likes

Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by omoregie7968: 9:18am On Aug 01, 2021
Ok
Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by tahir01(m): 9:19am On Aug 01, 2021
Na every man for him self.

8 Likes

Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:19am On Aug 01, 2021
Ease into social circles with a good icebreaker

It is extremely intimidating to be alone at an event where everyone is talking in little circles.
We have a go-to strategy that, we’ll admit, isn’t for the faint of heart:
We will walk up to a group of nice-seeming people and with a big smile say, “May we crash your circle?” It has worked for us every single time because, honestly, who’s going to say “no"? Usually someone, or multiple people, say “Of course!” and then introduce themselves or fill us in on what they’re talking about.

If that’s a little too bold for you, you can also make eye contact with one member of the circle and start with, “Hi, our names are MANNA or dem MANNA” It’s a great idea to have some icebreaker questions prepared to get the conversation flowing. Two of our favorites are, “What brings you to this event?” and, “Do you know anyone here?”

And also, It’s all in the follow up
This is very important also.
We generally advise making one or two real connections instead of racing around a room, shoving business cards in people’s faces.
For us, a quality conversation always beats quantity, and it sets you up to keep the dialogue going after the event.
That’s why the real secret to effective networking is in the follow up.

If you spoke about a certain topic or person that you know, ask for their email address so you can follow up with a relevant article or an introduction.
And then do it.
Maybe something will come of it, or maybe nothing will, but hopefully you’ll have some interesting conversations along the way.

This works all the time.
Simply try it out young Nigerians..
All the very best y'all.
Y'all have a bright and beautiful future ahead of you.

Peace out as you progress in life.✌

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by McGg: 9:20am On Aug 01, 2021
I
Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by RapistOnBail: 9:20am On Aug 01, 2021

As you progress in life, you’ll need to drop some friends.

For me,

Those friends should fvck off! I don’t wanna see their calls or texts.

13 Likes

Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by malikkabey: 9:20am On Aug 01, 2021
Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by Chieffoo007: 9:20am On Aug 01, 2021
Follow who know road

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by DropsMic(m): 9:20am On Aug 01, 2021
By Going out duh
Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by ramoniwav: 9:20am On Aug 01, 2021
Be active on social media

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by Guru1111(m): 9:20am On Aug 01, 2021
grin
These days when scam is so rampant, person gat to be very careful to about story that touch..

1 Like

Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by Seniorwriter(m): 9:21am On Aug 01, 2021
Best way to know me better and join our list of earners making @least $100 legitimately weekly or monthly is to reach out via the facebook ID on my profile's personal text....
There are thousands of ease2access ways and opportunities available for earning online howbeit any or all these three basics are required of anyone interest in legitimately earning via online;

# Skill(s)
# Service(s)
# Investment Capital

Emperor2020:
Join better sect,you are connected bro..rof, Rosicruciania,mason,sigma, if those men connect you bro,u re on top..even Cubana na mason
Which one of them have you joined that made you successful and financially stable...SMH@you per your ignorance increment.....
Get your ass a digital skill set and get stunned how you'll become in just few months.
INFP:
I think this post is for me.. I have always try to network with people but I find it so difficult. People trigger the hell outta me. To even go to them for help is a very big task. I have one of the richest relative in Abuja but I can't even go to him for help or try to relate even though he's been making efforts to reach out to me.... Sad

Stop thinking of going to peeps or connect for help rather learn negotiations power skills (2weeks training) then get a good business deal and bring them on board with their resources or affluence...are you aware that if you can create a need funnel like product per demand for just 100 people these connects you have will like to identify with you that way you can look for some budding idealist with good startup proposals and use your connect to become a pioneer or anchor for ANGEL INVESTORS!
I term it INVESTMENT BROKERS and you can earn as much as $1k dollars monthly for doing this.
Just imagine you are effectively trained on it and your consult charge ones such startups at established is $100 monthly and you have just 10 of such.....

Mide3367:
I am interested in the bolded
@Mide3367 I hope you are not a troll...stop quoting and do as told to....however if you are enjoying following me on every thread well be my guest.

Many people achieve less been in a circle of powerful connects because they are not proactive....The richest woman in Africa Mrs Alakija wouldn't have achieved if she was not proactive and had effective negotiations power when she was friends with the Nigerian First lady back then.....FOOD FOR THOUGHT to all you thinking it's been in a clique of network that only measures if you achieve more ...you have to be deliberately active and bring something to the table......

@Seniorwriter

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by Igyeseh06(m): 9:22am On Aug 01, 2021
Let us tell the FBI that Abba Kyarri is the former chief of staff to the President and that he's dead.

13 Likes

Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by Nobody: 9:23am On Aug 01, 2021
cool
Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by ecolime(m): 9:23am On Aug 01, 2021
The biggest culprits are Ego, Pride and Inferiority complex. They distance you from life-changing connections.

Also, The Nigerian economy isn't helping matters for our young ones. Respond to the "Hellos" of one or two people, the next message you recieve from them is solicitation for help.

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by Nobody: 9:24am On Aug 01, 2021
Join better sect,you are connected bro..rof, Rosicruciania,mason,sigma, if those men connect you bro,u re on top..even Cubana na mason

1 Like

Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by FILEBE(m): 9:25am On Aug 01, 2021
Depends on what you want to achieve with your "netwotking"

1 Like

Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by Nobody: 9:26am On Aug 01, 2021
I think this post is for me.. I have always try to network with people but I find it so difficult. People trigger the hell outta me. To even go to them for help is a very big task. I have one of the richest relative in Abuja but I can't even go to him for help or try to relate even though he's been making efforts to reach out to me.... Sad

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by pointstores(m): 9:26am On Aug 01, 2021
Nice
Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by Nobody: 9:28am On Aug 01, 2021
Most young guy no go tell you as the get the oil work,unto u come close,u go know say na devil de control world economy..even if na big man pikin be ur cosmate back in uni,he or she no go tell you all,you may tink is all about having good grades nd skills,na wen u enter u go know de truth about network..few want to control the world thats y is hard for poor and most devoted are yet to be on top,even if you get to the top without any umbrella covering you,the will still kick u off

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by airminem(f): 9:28am On Aug 01, 2021
More platforms and oppurtunities needs to be created so young people can engage in networking through technology. I guess thats already happening.

Nice one @OP

1 Like

Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by directonpc(m): 9:28am On Aug 01, 2021
Pray

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by Spainze007(m): 9:28am On Aug 01, 2021
no be lie it's important
Re: How Do You Think Young People Can Network Better? by Savageman: 9:29am On Aug 01, 2021
Issorite..
This life no easy ooh. Just forget all those your scrap friends you get wey no dey money minded. Just mingle with people wey dey focus on making the paper, anyway anyway dem go give you update and connection to take succeed, na d reality for life b dis.

I Movveeeee

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

New Job Titles To Package Your Profession / How Do You Cope When A Colleague Or Senior Is Not Up To Their Job / 5 Mistakes That May Hinder Your Career Growth In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.