Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,307 members, 7,833,245 topics. Date: Sunday, 19 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? (30544 Views)

Expiry Date And Best Before Do NOT Mean The Same Thing! / Lady Burnt Noodles While Watching 'Zee World' (Photos) / Top 5 Ways To Make Indomie Noodles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by Oblongata: 7:32pm On Aug 03, 2021
mariahAngel:

For the love of yourself and your family, take down this post ASAP!
If it gets to the front page, you’re toast!
You should also take down this post cool
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by Pweetiedude(m): 7:34pm On Aug 03, 2021
The answer: "Best before" dates refer to the quality and shelf life of an unopened food product, not safety. They tell you how long a product will retain its optimum flavour, texture and nutritional value when stored under normal conditions.
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Aug 03, 2021
Dat2jo:
Hello Nairalanders. So I was gifted some food items. I just noticed that among them, 5 cartons of indomie and 5 cartons of Honeywell Macaroni both carry a 'best before date' of 2mnts ago (1st June 2021 and 3rd June 2021 respectively). How safe will it be for us to consume them? Or should we just dispose them off? Thanks

There is a difference between "best before" and "use by". It is self explanatory. best before can be consumed after the date use by expires by that date and should not be consumed.
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by LONGPREEK(m): 7:37pm On Aug 03, 2021
mariahAngel:

the guy no get sense, some people will be stupid for life
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by dmbb: 7:39pm On Aug 03, 2021
Give it to animals they need it
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by OrdinaryNigeria(m): 7:39pm On Aug 03, 2021
Hunger never fire u
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by pavoda: 7:40pm On Aug 03, 2021
This is your answer here, Pasta can still safely be eaten past the best before date, as long as the box stays dry,Dry pasta is a shelf-stable pantry staple. It won’t go bad in the way that a perishable item will, a “best by” or “best if used by” date printed on the carton FYI, is not an expiration date. It’s just the manufacturer’s best guess at how long the product will remain at peak freshness, so don’t toss an unopened box of Macaroni just because it’s past the best-by date.Unopened dry pasta is good in the pantry for two years from the time of purchase
adebenson155:
The best before date is about quality and not safety. The food will be safe to eat after this date but may not be at its best. Its flavour and texture might not be as good as before!!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by jaxxy(m): 7:40pm On Aug 03, 2021
Dat2jo:
Hello Nairalanders. So I was gifted some food items. I just noticed that among them, 5 cartons of indomie and 5 cartons of Honeywell Macaroni both carry a 'best before date' of 2mnts ago (1st June 2021 and 3rd June 2021 respectively). How safe will it be for us to consume them? Or should we just dispose them off? Thanks

I know sm best before dates for certain products have like a 3 to 6months grace period during which they are still ok for consumption bt I’m not sure on these or if that’s a general standard.
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by Abdoolbuster: 7:41pm On Aug 03, 2021
Tadeknkeepcalm:
E go hook you for throat if you chop am

grin
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by phemmyfour: 7:42pm On Aug 03, 2021
Dat2jo:
For drugs, +2yrs after expiring date

For food, 0ne month after the expiring date

For gala, 3days after the expiring date
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by pavoda: 7:48pm On Aug 03, 2021
This is dangerously false
phemmyfour:
For drugs, +2yrs after expiring date

For food, 0ne month after the expiring date

For gala, 3days after the expiring date
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by thuxzwda1: 7:48pm On Aug 03, 2021
Dat2jo:

Make we share DAT palliative wet remain for your side nah bro..........
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by wumi2017(f): 7:52pm On Aug 03, 2021
mariahAngel:

grin

1 Like

Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by acquisitions(m): 7:55pm On Aug 03, 2021
Expiration dates tell consumers the last day a product is safe to consume.
Best Before date on the other hand, tells you that the product is no longer in its perfect shape from that date. It does not necessarily mean that the product is no longer safe to eat.
Best Before date is basically a quality indicator.
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by Insidejuice(m): 7:59pm On Aug 03, 2021
For this hard time,,oga chop am clean mouth,ntn go do u.
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by wunmi590(m): 8:05pm On Aug 03, 2021
mariahAngel:

And you have to quote his write up without helping him to edit it
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by Bishopino: 8:05pm On Aug 03, 2021
Dat2jo:
Best before is different from expiry date.. Even after six months you can still consume it. The quality can only reduce but never a poison.
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by NamelessOGBENI(m): 8:08pm On Aug 03, 2021
mariahAngel:

He's already a toast, we're waiting for the grill...
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by Tirips(f): 8:13pm On Aug 03, 2021
Dat2jo:

OP nothing is safe after its Best before/Expiry date.
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by abidexluv5: 8:17pm On Aug 03, 2021
It can make you purge,give it to dog if you have.
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by kolaaderin: 8:18pm On Aug 03, 2021
SLOVFO:
As far as I know best before date is not same as expiry date. Best before date means that the quality of the product cannot be guaranteed after the date given.
here you have your answer.
Best before date is not expiry date. It simply means there is no guarantee of the expected standard. Most packed foods such as provisions inclusive spaghetti are still good for consumption 3 to 6 months after BBD.
As for Drugs, please dispose it fast.

1 Like

Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by Regex: 8:19pm On Aug 03, 2021
Here I was thinking it was Mr Macaroni.

Chai this weed and hot I took is not healthy ni.
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Aug 03, 2021
Dat2jo:

The ‘best before’ date is often mistaken by consumers to be the same as the ‘expiry date’. That’s why most of the time, foods that may have passed its ‘best before’ date go straight in the trash. Although this would have still been completely edible. The ‘best before’ date guarantees certain properties of the product to be effective up to this point. Once the date has passed, it may just lose its freshness, taste, aroma or nutrients. But it does not necessarily mean that the food is no longer safe to eat. In order to decide whether the food is still edible, one should rely on his/her senses (sight, smell and taste). The product should not be consumed if you find that the taste has been compromised, odour and appearance is odd or it’s exhibiting strange consistency. Note: this only applies to unopened shelf-stable product. Once a sealed product is exposed to air it is prone to contamination. Thus, the ‘best before’ date no longer applies to it.

Expiration dates tell consumers the last day a product is safe to consume.

Researched from Google

1 Like

Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by Darkblood: 8:24pm On Aug 03, 2021
Dat2jo:

For real? Are you a nutritionist or a health worker?
Lol
Ode
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by CryptoRepublic1: 8:25pm On Aug 03, 2021
There's a huge difference between a best before date and an expiration date.

Best before date =means you can still have it after the date but don't expect it to be at her best.

Expiration date =means it could cause you some harm if you're unfortunate, so don't have it after the date .
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by LordErrk: 8:28pm On Aug 03, 2021
Chop one first na. If you die, e don turn poison be that
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by Buksaylor: 8:32pm On Aug 03, 2021
stevebond007:
Best before doesn't mean it has turn to poison, but it means it would have lost its taste and properties.

Expiry date for drugs means it has definitely turn to poison.

They didn't say expired...
You're correct...
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by gonkin(m): 8:37pm On Aug 03, 2021
Only 2 months? Chop belle full. U know how many u don chop with extended expiry date. They change labels
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by Clinghton: 8:43pm On Aug 03, 2021
As food come dey expensive, u fit eat am but stay close to the toilet and never leave your drugs.

1 Like

Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by Soulsymbol99: 8:46pm On Aug 03, 2021
Normally, d stuff is nt good for the body, cm be when d tin expire undecided

1 Like

Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by merits(m): 8:58pm On Aug 03, 2021
stevebond007:
Best before doesn't mean it has turn to poison, but it means it would have lost its taste and properties.

Expiry date for drugs means it has definitely turn to poison.
Then how does the poisons expires?
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by kenny905(m): 9:03pm On Aug 03, 2021
Dat2jo:
best before is different from expiry date.
Best before simply means the goods is not in its best shape but doesn't mean its unsafe to it...just a simple indication of reduction in quality

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Can I Fry Meat To Make It Taste Like Party Meat? / Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) / A Post For Nigerians Who Love Food, By Nigerians Who Love Food(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.