Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,392 members, 7,815,835 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:13 PM

COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs (7594 Views)

Three Nigerians Arrested In India With Cocaine And Other Drugs Worth N14m / Elections2020: Cocaine, Heroin, Other Drugs Now Legal In Oregon, USA / Nigeria’s New National Airline To Commence Operation This Year – Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by camri: 10:14pm On Aug 11, 2021
The World Health Organisation announced on Wednesday that it would soon begin a worldwide clinical trial of three new candidate drugs for the treatment of COVID-19.

The global public health agency said the scheme is being undertaken in the latest phase of global solidarity clinical trials to find effective treatments against COVID-19.

Under the Solidarity PLUS programme, the therapies – artesunate, imatinib and infliximab – will be tested on hospitalised COVID-19 patients in 52 countries.

There have been more than 203 million cases of the disease recorded globally as of Wednesday, according to WHO.

The world hit the 200 million mark last week, just six months after cases passed 100 million.

Speaking during a press conference in Geneva, WHO’s Director-General, Dr Tedros Ghebreyesus, underscored the critical need to find more effective and accessible COVID-19 therapeutics.

“We already have many tools to prevent, test for and treat COVID-19, including oxygen, dexamethasone and IL-6 blockers.

“But we need more, for patients at all ends of the clinical spectrum, from mild to severe disease.

And we need health workers that are trained to use them in a safe environment,” he said.

The three drugs were selected by an independent panel for their potential in reducing the risk of death in people hospitalised for COVID-19.

They are already being used to treat other conditions.

Artesunate is a medicine for severe malaria, imatinib is used for certain cancers, including leukemia, while infliximab is used to treat Crohn’s Disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other diseases of the immune system.

Manufacturers Ipca, Novartis and Johnson & Johnson, donated the drugs for the trial.

Solidarity PLUS is the largest global collaboration among WHO’s 194 Member States, with thousands of researchers in over 600 hospitals participating.

Finland is among the 52 countries taking part, 16 more than the initial Solidarity Trial, and contributes to the COVAX vaccine solidarity initiative.

Two university hospitals in Finland have been the first worldwide to begin the second phase.

Hanna Sarkkinen, the country’s Minister of Social Affairs and Health, said clinical trials had a great potential to save lives.

“Even though there are approximately 3,000 clinical studies on COVID-19, most of them are too small to yield significant information. We need clinical trials that are large enough to bring better treatments for COVID-19 patients,” she said.

Four drugs were evaluated under the initial Solidarity Trial in 2020, which showed that remdesivir, hydroxychloroquine, lopinavir and interferon had little or no effect on hospitalised patients with COVID-19.

(NAN)
https://gazettengr.com/who-to-commence-trialing-malaria-other-drugs-for-covid-19-treatment/

Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by Fahdiga(m): 10:15pm On Aug 11, 2021
WHO has long lost their credibility

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by Nbotee(m): 11:00pm On Aug 11, 2021
We already get artesunate here oo.. Make we begin sell am give dem
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by Drsnives(m): 5:57am On Aug 12, 2021
Buhari why
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by mokoh(m): 5:58am On Aug 12, 2021
Good
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by akinmusi(m): 5:58am On Aug 12, 2021
Lab mouse.
What an average european think of an African in the field of science.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by Handsum64: 5:59am On Aug 12, 2021
oyeelams:
W
Really?
All for what?
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by modath(f): 6:00am On Aug 12, 2021
Malaria vaccine took this long to even get to "trial" stage as it's basically an African disease..

If it had been ravaging Europe & The Americas, pharmaceutical companies would have found solution to it all these years.... They were making money from Artesunate, chloroquine & others and knowing people will keep allowing gutters to clog up so it's an endless stream of income.

As it is now, Malaria drugs company will go bankrupt if it's successful.... life oh life... success one side is disaster for another side..

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by Dikison25(m): 6:00am On Aug 12, 2021
cry cry cry

Are you tired of MANAGING that Chronic Infections and stubborn Staphylococcus aureus that refuse to go? Have you try so many drugs but non of them showed improvement ? Our Award-winning herbal Tab has the solution to your problem TODAY

The Only NATURAL REMEDY known to Have Crushed all forms of GROWTH inside the body system, and all kinds of Sexual Transmitted Diseases, TOILET infections and Uninery Tract infections such as staphylococcus aureus, gonorrhea, Syphilis, burning sensation when urinating, frequent urinating, and itching on the private part, Chlamydia, Vaginal bad routine odor, Discharge or Drip from the vaginal or penis and Other life threatening Infections for both MEN AND WOMEN No matter how long without any side effects.!

a unique 100 % Natural Herbal formula enhanced with Active ingredients that fights, Prevents and Cures all kinds of Diseases, Infections and any growth in your body system PERMANENTLY... without no comeback!

RESTORE YOUR ENTIRE BODY SYSTEM INTO TOTAL FUNCTIONALITY within 2weeks USING this herbal Tab.

CHECK my Profile...
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by elmessiahs(m): 6:02am On Aug 12, 2021
Tedros gabrehesus should forget, we are malaria ourselves.
Elmessiahs

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by whela(m): 6:04am On Aug 12, 2021
If only we'll get the original to buy.
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by brightleave(m): 6:06am On Aug 12, 2021
Chai! After Dem don condemn chloroquine finish smiley smiley smiley

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by Nobody: 6:11am On Aug 12, 2021
modath:
Malaria vaccine took this long to even get to "trial" stage as it's basically an African disease..

If it had been ravaging Europe & The Americas, pharmaceutical companies would have found solution to it all these years.... They were making money from Artesunate, chloroquine & others and knowing people will keep allowing gutters to clog up so it's an endless stream of income.

As it is now, Malaria drugs company will go bankrupt if it's successful.... life oh life... success one side is disaster for another side..

The problem with the malaria vaccine being so late is that it interacts in a very complicated way with the body's immune system..apart from market and other issues.

Malaria parasites have a complex life cycle, and there is poor understanding of the complex immune response to malaria infection. Malaria parasites are also genetically complex, producing thousands of potential antigens. Unlike the diseases for which we currently have effective vaccines, exposure to malaria parasites does not confer lifelong protection. Acquired immunity only partially protects against future disease, and malaria infection can persist for months without symptoms of disease

Then Malaria is caused by a protozoa...not a virus or a bacteria. Protozoan caused diseases don't have a lot of vaccines per se.

Vaccines also take time to develop. Polio vaccine took over 40 years before we got the two working ones we have.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by RunzMAN: 6:16am On Aug 12, 2021
angry

WHO is deceiving who?

A successful trial will kill most of these pharmaceutical companies.... business. Malaria as an Africa disease took this long to get a trial.

We are watching.....

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by Ckonnet: 6:16am On Aug 12, 2021
Truth is gradually coming out, they discredited those drugs earlier especially the malaria drugs but embraced the covid vaccine still on trial stage. Hypocrisy of the highest order.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by Nobody: 6:20am On Aug 12, 2021
Ckonnet:
Truth is gradually coming out, they discredited those drugs earlier especially the malaria drugs but embraced the covid vaccine still on trial stage. Hypocrisy of the highest order.

Well, three drugs are being trrailled

1.Artesunate is one of the drugs...and it has never been on the radar.(Chloroquine was, and WHO trialled it. Did not work)

2.The other two drugs are used for leukemia treatment. Not the kind of drugs that are that cheap.(they were donated for the trial).
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by chyzoo4u(m): 6:21am On Aug 12, 2021
modath:

You made sense but I want to get something, don't get me wrong, I've been giving this a thought for some time now.

Is it that Africans are lesser human or we're just careless about our lives? I asked this because when a disease or any disaster happens over there in these white countries, they'll be quick to decipher a solution to such... but when things like that happens to a black nation, we will be waiting for the whites to come up with the solution for us.

Why can't we (myself included) come up with these solutions for ourselves? Are we really created in the same functioning capacity with these guys?

This is not inferiority complex but fact! A reality!

There's no doubt there are few blacks contributing something somehow, but you'll find out that it's either the black person is living in those white countries or that he/she studied there.

Imagine, malaria has been ravaging Africa since God knows when but we couldn't come up with a vaccine... We are waiting for the almighty white nations to do it for us. God help us.

8 Likes

Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by Nobody: 6:21am On Aug 12, 2021
Nbotee:
We already get artesunate here oo.. Make we begin sell am give dem

Result of trial never come out now...
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by Nobody: 6:25am On Aug 12, 2021
chyzoo4u:

You made sense but I want to get something, don't get me wrong, I've been giving this a thought for some time now.

Is it that Africans are lesser human or we're just careless about our lives? I asked this because when a disease or any disaster happens over there in these white countries, they'll be quick to decipher a solution to such,but when things like that happens to a black nation, we will be waiting for the whites to come up with the solution for us.

Why can't we (myself included) come up with these solutions for ourselves? Are we really created in the same functioning capacity with these guys?

There's no doubt there are a few black comtributing something, but you'll find out that either the black person is living in those white countries or that he/she studied there.

Imagine, malaria has been ravaging Africa since God knows when but we couldn't come up with a vaccine... We are waiting for the almighty white nations to do it for us. God help us.

Because we don't fund our universities well.

1.Educaiton budgets in most African countries are too low. Nigeria spends less than $2 billion annually on education....

2.Fees are also too low. Average fees in government universites are as low as $200-500. In European countries and the US, fees are much higher than that(us RESEARCH universites may charge as high as $20000 or more.), or are paid for by heavy duty taxation (of, in some cases, half your salary)

If you want to do high grade research, you have to pay for high grade research....heavily. Here in Nigeria, we have to find more than the $2 billion we spend on educaiton as a whole.

3 Likes

Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by yenereal(m): 6:33am On Aug 12, 2021
Beancounter94:

Because we don't fund our universities well.

1.Educaiton budgets in most African countries are too low. Nigeria spends less than $2 billion annually on education....

2.Fees are also too low. Average fees in government universites are as low as $200-500. In European countries and the US, fees are much higher than that(us RESEARCH universites may charge as high as $20000 or more.), or are paid for by heavy duty taxation (of, in some cases, half your salary)

If you want to do high grade research, you have to pay for high grade research....heavily. Here in Nigeria, we have to find more than the $2 billion we spend on educaiton as a whole.

You've made good points. Don't forget to add that African leaders are corrupt.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by gentleguy1975: 6:37am On Aug 12, 2021
Na I'm be say the dongoyaro tree for my backyard go make sense be that o
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by aguiyi2: 6:42am On Aug 12, 2021
How I wish our leaders will bark now against the Western world now the way they bark against extradition of indicted persons and claim sovereignty. We are at the mercy of the Western world. May a cure be found soonest.
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by modath(f): 6:49am On Aug 12, 2021
chyzoo4u:

Is it that Africans are lesser human or we're just careless about our lives? I asked this because when a disease or any disaster happens over there in these white countries, they'll be quick to decipher a solution to such... but when things like that happens to a black nation, we will be waiting for the whites to come up with the solution for us.

There's no doubt there are few blacks contributing something somehow, but you'll find out that it's either the black person is living in those white countries or that he/she studied there.

The answer is "CAPACITY".. Limit to what people can do... I'm not excusing the incompetence or lackluster African leaders & followers mentality, limitless greed that has rendered Africa retrogressive neither would I make a case for the poor education.
However, how many research facility is available in the whole of Africa? Where is the funding to start with? It hurts me to admit this but Africans have more Brawn than ***** & patience is not our strong suit as well ... Truth is bitter .....

Addendum ***

You still leaned on my point which was not about relying on white people but simply predicated on the spread and reach of malaria., using the polio vaccine as illustration... It was killing the white, they had to find solution... It trickled down to Africa, Asia....... measles, small pox, chicken pox etc all got vaccines long ago... why?
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by Ola17: 6:49am On Aug 12, 2021
akinmusi:
Lab mouse.
What an average european think of an African in the field of science.

Is Finland an African country? The anti malaria drugs you use to treat yourself now and then were formulated by these people yet you don’t compliment their efforts.

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by advanceDNA: 6:50am On Aug 12, 2021
modath:

We refused to take care of our environment even after the whites discovered mosquitoes transmit the disease and eliminating stagnant water will help...
we are now complaining malaria is an African disease...why will the West worry about something they invested years in eliminating
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by TheWolfen(m): 7:03am On Aug 12, 2021
undecided

Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by TheWolfen(m): 7:10am On Aug 12, 2021
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by sgtponzihater1(m): 7:10am On Aug 12, 2021
Artesunate go soon cost for market
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by peacettw: 7:13am On Aug 12, 2021
Read between the lines. There must be a reason artesunate was included..

Finally, these people are acknowledging the shockingly low Covid-19 morbidity and mortality rates in Africa. They do not understand why we aren't all dead yet despite the fact most of the populace is yet to be vaccinated.

I am certain their best guess as to why this is must have been attributed to malaria since it is endemic in our region. Hence the reason they are testing the anti-malaria drug artesunate which makes no sense especially since hydroxychloroquine, a drug proven to have some efficacy against covid-19, can also be used to treat malaria.

I am certain the big pharmas that produce covid-19 vaccines and remdesivir are getting jittery as they should because they can't keep up with the claims that their products work when clearly they don't. There are definitely cheaper and safer options out there but fear and greed always win.

On a side note, WHO is yet to release their findings on ivermectin..I will end my silent musings now.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Trialing Malaria, Other Drugs by Mordecai(m): 7:19am On Aug 12, 2021
peacettw:
Read in between the lines. There must be a reason artesunate was included..

Finally, these people are acknowledging the low Covid-19 mortality and morbidity rates in Africa. They do not understand why we aren't all dead yet despite the fact most of the populace are yet to be vaccinated.

I am certain their best guess as to why this is must have been malaria since it is endemic in our region. Hence the reason they are testing the ant-malaria drug artesunate.

You're on to something.

modath:

Did you read the article?

(1) (2) (Reply)

PSC Unveils 11-Man Board Members To Recruit Police Officers / Former Lagos Governor Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Buys 3 Planes For 40 Billion / Gov. Sylva Dares Jonathan And Flags Off Campaign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.