Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,779 members, 7,820,722 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:15 PM

Tutorials On Game Programming - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Tutorials On Game Programming (22822 Views)

Android Game Programming For Subway Surfers / Game Programming Tutorials ( Angry Birds, Pvz Etc ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tutorials On Game Programming by ngusha(m): 12:37pm On Feb 11, 2006
I Need Help On Game Programming

Please anybody who gets this. I am a rookie in programming I need tutorials on game programming.
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by c0dec(m): 6:47pm On Feb 11, 2006
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by gbengaijot(m): 10:55pm On Feb 13, 2006
m
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by sbucareer(f): 1:52am On Feb 14, 2006

@gbengaijot, start a thread I will tech you how to develop software using java. It is better than learning how to program. 

Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by gbadex1(m): 2:15pm On Feb 16, 2006
umm, i've got a question to ask. all this e-books being displayed. are they meant for people that have at least a rudimentary or elementary knowledge of game programming, cos am interested in programming games but don't even know jack about it. or is it for people like me.

please, someone respond.
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by c0dec(m): 10:14pm On Feb 16, 2006
gbade. x:

umm, i've got a question to ask. all this e-books being displayed. are they meant for people that have at least a rudimentary or elementary knowledge of game programming, because am interested in programming games but don't even know jack about it. or is it for people like me.

please, someone respond.

em . . . . maybe you should start with nehe first. most of these books are beginner friendly except the ones starting with "beginning".

word of warning: i'll advise you to start with opengl before diving into direct3d. direct3d isn't intuitive at all.
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by Nobody: 11:35am On Feb 17, 2006
Or not to touch D3D at all. OpenGL will allow u run that game on *nix platforms too. And most tutorials tech OGL, anyway.
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by Nobody: 11:36am On Feb 17, 2006
Any body an expert on 3D games here? i have an app that sposed to display a cluster of 3D objects arranged into a cyl and (i think) array indexing is fxcking me up big time! using vectors hasn't solved it either.
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by Nobody: 11:37am On Feb 17, 2006
I meant <vector> class. c++
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by sbucareer(f): 12:53pm On Feb 17, 2006

Why don't you create your own collection framework? I'd thought that array, vector, map etc, are there to help solve the issues of handling big amount of data structure.

Here you can create your own data structure like this.

// Container.h
// Definition for class Container

#ifndef CONTAINER_H
#define CONTAINER_H

class Container {

private:
    Container *ptr;

public:

Container();
     ~Container();

Vector getElement();
     void setElement( Vector *ptr);

};
#endif

Now right a Member definition for the Container class

#include <iostream.h>
#include "Container.h"

using std::cout;
using std::endln;

Container::Container( ){
//do your routine here
}

Container::~Container(){
//destroy your objects
}

Vector Container::getElement(){
  //Manipulate your *ptr to collect all your objects in the class
}

void Container::setElement ( Vector *ptr){
//Set all your object to the class
}

Try the above solution and tell me if it worked for you. Good Luck
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by Nobody: 1:08pm On Feb 17, 2006
Uh, the container classes are working fine for me when i (temporarily) disable drawing to the OpenGL canvas. The moment i try to draw the objects in the array, the program x's.
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by c0dec(m): 1:31pm On Feb 17, 2006
Gridlock:

Uh, the container classes are working fine for me when i (temporarily) disable drawing to the OpenGL canvas. The moment i try to draw the objects in the array, the program x's.

lets see the code, please. i can't help without seeing code
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by sbucareer(f): 1:36pm On Feb 17, 2006

@Gridlock, what data structurer/objects/primitive data are you trying to manipulate?

Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by Nobody: 1:44pm On Feb 17, 2006
Very large project <75kb>. I will send u a tarball, ok by u?
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by Nobody: 1:46pm On Feb 17, 2006
That was mean for c0dec.

@sbucareer: they are structs describing a 3D object: [array of normals, array of vertices and array of faces]
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by c0dec(m): 2:02pm On Feb 17, 2006
sure no probs
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by sbucareer(f): 2:06pm On Feb 17, 2006

Gridlock, let me try to write a 3D graphic that inherited some behaviors from 2D. It has been long since I did some work like this. If it did not compile let me know.

struct g3D : g2D { // 3 Doubles (Used as x 3 Dimensional Point or Vector)
 gCoord z;
 g3D() {}
 g3D(gCoord x, gCoord y, gCoord z) : g2D(x,y), z(z) {

}

explicit g3D(bool Zero) {

if(Zero)
     Clear();
}
 g3D(double* DDD) : g2D(DDD) {

z=*++DDD;
 }

void Clear() {

g2D::Clear();
   z=0;
 }

g3D& operator*=(const gCoord& c) {
     g2D::operator*=(c);
     z*=c;
    return *this;
 }

You generally get the idea? the clear function is generally written as x=y=z=0;

Vertices
The g3Point and 2gPoint are used to stick the vertices by providing the arithmetic operation

Vectors
g3Vector and g2Vector will well depend on the graphic package u are using. Look for more information on these.

Remember that gCoord B=1.000000001;
B=acos(min(max(1.0, B), 1.0));
This will not stop the value of B as expected.

Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by c0dec(m): 2:12pm On Feb 17, 2006
i don't think that'll be useful to Gridlock. undecided
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by Nobody: 4:35pm On Feb 17, 2006
@c0dec: tarball below

Remove the ".jpg" extension, this Forum system dont allow the "tar.gz" filetype.

Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by c0dec(m): 5:14pm On Feb 17, 2006
man, i use VC++. I see you're using DevC++. and you're using the wxwidgets library which i don't have and have never used so this means i can't compile it.

from what i understand, it all compiles but it crashes when u try to render the segments.
so if u comment out DrawSegment(cylinder->segments->Item(i));, it compiles, right?

from reading the wxArray docs, you seem to be doing everything fine, though.
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by c0dec(m): 5:47pm On Feb 17, 2006
strange. , your code is legit. maybe the debugger will reveal something. does dev-c++ come with a debugger?

from what i gather (which u probably have figured too), the problem is from one the following:
- the problem could be from the drawsegment method.
- the segment class.
- the wxArray container has a bug  , (maybe u should use STL containers - they work fine for me)
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by Nobody: 6:00pm On Feb 17, 2006
Arrgh, now i have to do what i dont have time for: trace and/or start from scratch. Thanks anyway.
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by c0dec(m): 7:58pm On Feb 17, 2006
i feel u man. i hate bugs!

what's FPG about anyway? looks/sounds interesting
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by Nobody: 1:49am On Feb 18, 2006
representation of what goes on in an internal combustion engine from Top-dead center to bottom-dead-center: a quarter cycle. Trying to discretize the engine-cylinder space.
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by segomoti: 4:51pm On Mar 25, 2006
Hi all,

I would suggest the good man (Ynot) make the download link for the e-books available (even if is for a temporary period). That will free him from the requests to mail individuals and spammers wont have [more] opportunity to harvest requesters email addresses that are being made public. Good that Simreality is offering host-space.

I just came across this (http://www.download.com/Paradigm-3D-Virtual-Reality-ActiveX-Control/3000-2401_4-10509875.html?tag=lst-0-5) today and I understand its made in Naija!
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by simreality(m): 10:26pm On Mar 25, 2006
Yep. It's no problem to host them (depending on file size. I can support about 300-400 megs).
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by Gamine(f): 6:49pm On Mar 28, 2006
so u guys in naija r big on this what games have u made so far??
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by ncpat(m): 2:28pm On Apr 01, 2006
hey guys i want to know the difference between a programmer and a developer i will appreciate.
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by c0dec(m): 6:39am On Apr 02, 2006
AlexWu:

smiley Hi, C0dec and all:

I have download the ebooks from your link. Thanks a lot.

My question is for the new beginner of 3D programming,
What language is the best to learn?
It looks like the traditional C/C++ is the most popular one,
but , there are a lot of new technology/language/engines/libraries
coming out, for example, the C# for DirectX9.
Is it still the best way starting from C/C++?

Hope all 3D programming professionals here can advice.

Thanks.

Alex

yo, give Ynot the credit for the books not me.

yes C/C++ is definitely the way to go. if u want to do 3D programming professionally then keep C aside and concentrate on the C++ end (OOP). there's some talk about the industry migrating to C# in the future so it won't be a bad idea to learn the basics of C#.

i'll also advise u to start with OpenGL first instead of DirectX. DirectX isn't intuitive at all and it could put you off totally learning 3D programming. besides that, DirectX is strictly a microsoft API meaning you'll only be able to program for microsoft platforms (PC, windows CE, xbox - no linux, no apple, no PS3 yeah)

thats it dude

ncpat:

hey guys i want to know the difference between a programmer and a developer i will appreciate private mail at ncpatnig@yahoo.co.uk

a coder just codes without thinking much about design.

a developer designs before coding and tries his best to stick to standards.
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by JazzE: 1:24pm On Apr 02, 2006
Hi all,

as anyone got ebooks that were passed around earlier. I would appreciate any that i could get main interest is DirectX programming in any language c#,c++ or visual basic. Really interested in ebooks that have information about 3D Engine design and game development. Have a couple books such as Game programming in C# but really need to find good book to aid development of a good 3d engine. Also any books on Game design techniques.

Thanks in advance.

can contact at Email address above.
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by Cactus(m): 3:35am On Apr 28, 2006
Take a look at this, you may not find everything you need there but maybe one or two information go into the game development section

www.programmersheaven.com
Re: Tutorials On Game Programming by smartsoft(m): 5:59am On Apr 28, 2006
Nice site there men ! check it out Mike that site he gave it's good

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PPT: Personal Programming Tutorial / MTN App Developers Competition Thread / Nigerian Developed Mobile Apps - Yaay Or Nay?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.