Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,352 members, 7,957,939 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 04:38 AM

Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms (6288 Views)

Revalidation Of Tinted Permit, Firearms Licence Begins Today / See The Job Borno State Governor Appointed 5 People To Carry Out(Pictured) / Jega Working With North To Install Buhari - Edwin Clark & Alex Akueme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by babeface3: 11:39am On May 20, 2011
A close source close to a news agency revealed that deliberation is under way to arm corpers being posted to any northern state with a pistol short gun each. The gun will be registered with name of the corper and training given by the NYSC authority on usage.

The source said that this will be made known to the public and implemented after the deliberation.

I think this is a good idea since police cannot ensure adequate security. Or what do you think house?
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by obailala(m): 11:53am On May 20, 2011
babeface3:

A close source close to a news agency revealed that deliberation is under way to arm corpers being posted to any northern state with a pistol short gun each. The gun will be registered with name of the corper and training given by the NYSC authority on usage.

The source said that this will be made known to the public and implemented after the deliberation.

I think this is a good idea since police cannot ensure adequate security. Or what do you think house?
dumb
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by violent(m): 11:57am On May 20, 2011
I'm sure as hell this aint going to happen, but if it does, it will sure be a welcome development.

I am intrigued by the prospects of shooting some Northern radicals, just to watch em die~!
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by kencivic: 12:11pm On May 20, 2011
In a drinking joint yesterday, a senior security operative was bragging that he must provide a gun for his son about to serve if he must be posted to the north.
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by dustydee: 12:14pm On May 20, 2011
increase in armed robbery.
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by Blackteeth(m): 12:25pm On May 20, 2011
The poster just framed it up. Even corpers armed with RPG's and Ak47 wouldnt still stop deaths from occuring.
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by T9ksy(m): 4:51pm On May 20, 2011
This is another manifestation of the cluelessness of our so-called political leaders to our myriad quandary.Firearms ke? Gosh! where do we get these id.iots from?

This dumb NYSC should just be scrapped ojare or else recent graduates should only be made to serve in their own ethnic region.

Even a blind man can discern that the purpose of the nysc is not being met so what's the point in persisting in the act of placing round pegs in square holes? A round peg will never fit inside a square hole even if one changes the colour or the length of the peg. No amount of cusmeticing will change the fact that  this is a wasteful and futile exercise.

Bloody perambulators!!!

Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by Nobody: 5:01pm On May 20, 2011

[size=18pt]NYSC: We cannot continue to sacrifice our children –Fayemi [/size]

Governor Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti State in this interview with journalists laments the death of 10 members of the National Youth Service Corps and X-rays the just-concluded elections. FEMI MAKINDE was there. Excerpt:

Your party, the Action Congress of Nigeria, was alleged to have induced voters in Ekiti State with money to record landslide victory. How do you react to this?

Well, it is unfortunate, because many of those who lost have already conceded defeat. They have congratulated those who won the elections.

I think it is gracious on their part to have conceded defeat in an election in which they lost without any doubt. The truth of the matter is that we are at an advantage. We have the progressive minded people.

Just look at the pattern of the elections in the Western region. You will see clearly why the election went the way it did in Ekiti. I am sure Arise (Senator Ayo Arise) knew quite well that he was not going to win the election. Not after he had annihilated the bulk of the senatorial zone he is representing, including the community where his wife came from where he didn’t win a single unit. How much money could we have spent that would give us leverage in Ikole beyond the fact that they had a candidate in that election who they, the people, thought is their enemy. In Oye Local Government where Arise hails from and where I also come from, there are 57,000 people on the voter register. Like I always say, let us even concede the 12,000 votes in Oye town to Arise, he still would have lost the way he did because we have 12 wards in the local government. We won in all the wards except two in his home town. So, I don’t want to dignify such insinuation with an answer. But if you ask me if we mobilised people to go out and vote? Obviously yes. Did we use money to do it? Money is a player in any election but we couldn’t compete with Arise when it comes to money, because he has all the constituency allowance and the committee money that he brought from Abuja.

Why didn’t money work for him?

That makes it clear to you that money couldn’t have been a factor. The people decided on their own that this is the direction we want to head. The policies that this government is implementing are populist policies, they are policies that the people want to associate with. They do not want the risk of losing these policies.

This is exactly what happened. And It is surprising that it happened in Ogun, Oyo, Osun and Lagos, Did we buy off voters in all those places ?

What is your impression about the just concluded general elections and your assessment of the Independent National Electoral Commission?

Despite my skepticism, I knew this was going to be a better election. I just did not know the scale at which it would be better than the previous elections conducted by Prof. Maurice Iwu. Every successive election has been progressively worse than the ones that we had. The election conducted by Ephraim Akpata was relatively okay in the annals of elections in Nigeria but it was still bad. Goubadia’s election in 2003 was deemed to have been more discredited. Iwu, don’t even let us talk about it at all. I think all Nigerians have agreed that the 2007 general elections were the most gregariously rigged in our country.

I think by and large and by the assessment from both local and international observers, many would agree that Jega (INEC Chairman) has done reasonably well. Although, there are still a lot of gaps; I don’t paint a picture of an election that was perfect in every sense of it, but you see his commitment to doing it right. Even where there were obvious mistakes, he was prepared to change the way and listen to suggestions that would improve the system. If you assess the election on a large scale, the technical quality of the election and the impartiality of the umpire, I think the election scored 60 to 70 per cent. There are of course the Nigerian conditions and the challenges are often difficult to overcome. All the 12 states that make up the core North voted for General Muhammadu Buhari. And all the states in the Middle Belt, Christian majority Middle Belt and of course the South, all voted President Goodluck Jonathan including, to my chagrin –Ekiti State – where I campaigned vigorously for our presidential candidate, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu. And my own party members defied me to vote President Jonathan. I think it calls for sober reflection in a very serious manner because I thought we had put this behind us in Nigeria and that we are ready to forge ahead. It still points towards the direction of crisis of nationhood in our country. When you now see what happened, the post-election violence that consumed corps members, including one of my own, it underscored the extent of work we still have to do in forging and integrating a nation in which all of us will not reduce representation to ethnicity and religion. I also think there is something that the elections pointed out to me and a lot of people who are avid watchers, it pointed out, at least in this part, the sophistication of the average Nigerian voter. They did what we always call skirt and blouse voting in Ghana. Ghanaians will choose somebody for president and choose another for the parliament. I was taken aback when my party lost the presidential election in Ekiti. I had to go back to review what was happening.

No fewer than 10 corps members were killed in the post election violence in some northern states. What is your view about the scheme?

Let me say this without any shadow of a doubt that the National Youth Service Corps remains one of the most insightful policies that ever came out of any Nigerian government. I had a great time as a youth corps member in Sokoto State where I served. And I was taken care of by people who did not know me from Adam. They provided me with accommodation. They gave me reasons to live a good life and it was my first opportunity to engage with the leading lights of the country. It was during that time that I had the opportunity of interviewing former president Shehu Shagari for The Guardian. And I also met former Minister of Finance, Alhaji Abubakar Alhaji. Many of the people who were icons and remain icons in Nigeria hailed from the state where I served. I made some of my great friends during the youth service year. And I am aware that the story is almost the same for every person who went through the system, particularly in the area they were unfamiliar with before their service year. The principle of integration promoted by the NYSC is not in itself the problem. I don’t think Nigerians would say that; what is unfortunate about this recent experience is the way the corps members were targeted; because, it was reminiscent of the pogrom of the 1960s. I was talking earlier about the dark side of the election, reminding Nigerians that we have not moved beyond certain prejudices and bigotry.

The idea of you winning an election, because in all of these places, the so-called Almajiris who are responsible for this carnage were supposedly supporting the Congress for Progressive Change. And the CPC won in the places where corps members were attacked and killed. It is just like the Action Congress of Nigeria targeting them in Ekiti and killing them, having won an election in the state. It just defies very logical thinking and rationality as far as I am concerned, of course that is what a mob does to you. If you are in a mob situation, rationality goes out the window first. And before you know it, it becomes a vicious dock-in dock system. What I find most devastating, therefore, is the fact that we have turned corps members to sacrificial lambs in the name of unity. We need to really re-examine that. For how long are we going to continue to make our children sacrificial lambs in the name of Nigeria’s unity? And what sort of unity willfully destroys young people in the manner that was done to these 10 young leaders of tomorrow. I sat down with our own late Seun Adewumi’s mother and she recounted the gory picture of what happened and the phone calls the boy was making as the attackers were coming nearer and nearer to him, it was the most bizarre thing that could happened to any parent.

The recently concluded Ekiti State Education Summit recommended that the state should fund one out of the three existing state universities. What is the position of your government on this?

The government called the summit in the first place and the government will definitely review the outcome of the summit. There is no doubt that it will involve a lot of work.

Clearly, we don’t have a choice than to look seriously into some of the recommendations. These are serious minded Ekiti people. People who cannot be accused of not loving Ekiti or getting involved in this on purely partisan grounds. The Prof. Sam Alukos of this world who are helping Nigeria. Why would they come to their own state and not speak the truth to those in power.

The whole essence of the summit was to speak the truth to power. I wanted them to tell me things others would not be able to tell me because I am the governor. These are people who are old enough to be my father. They are distinguished in their own careers, in all walks of life. So they really don’t need anything from Fayemi in order to earn a living or survive in their own environment. But, they are genuine patriots, they are committed to Ekiti and that is why I cannot take with levity some of the things they have said. What they have said is rational and it makes great sense to many people who are not wearing blinkers and not partisan about issues that are germane to Ekiti. The reason why this is so important for Ekiti is that we have an imprimatur of an educationally advantaged state. But we have become a sorry sight in terms of educational development in Nigeria. And if we have to have a rapid turn around, there is no doubt that we need to stop pretending that glorified secondary schools are universities.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201105191443893
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by misterh(m): 9:48pm On May 20, 2011
If this is true, it's a very dumb idea. What will happen after the service ends? You don't expect the authority to collect all the guns from the corp members. So when there is a crisis in the North, the people should be left to defend for themselves, What will then happen to the ordinary man. The govt should tackle the problem from the root- education and poverty. Pasts govts in the north should be questioned why the region continues to wallow in illiteracy and poverty.
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by Nobody: 10:10pm On May 20, 2011
This is a very ridiculous idea.

More arms in a society as lawless as Nigeria is never a good idea.

The simple thing to is to scrap the programme or allow Corps members to either choose to serve at all or choose where to serve based on where they know best and have familiar friends.

This new proposal will be a new low. Kids learning to shoot guns just because they have to serve Nigeria in civilian capacity? Anybody giving GEJ this advice is definitely not a friend.

Imagine a Government policy arming people largely from one section of the country who have to serve in the other section of the country. In a country as suspiscious as Nigeria?

Clearly somepeople are working hard to bring down the GEJ government at all cost.
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by Bawss1(m): 10:40pm On May 20, 2011
First this is outrightly untrue. Who is suppose to fall for such statements such as a source close to a news agency?

Second this is a completely stupid idea, more like the workings of a feverish mind harboring wild fantasies. Who is going to pay for the so called weapons, and train the intended users?

@OP
Next time you want to create a sensational thread put a little thought into its content to give it some credibility.
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by selingel: 11:01pm On May 20, 2011
This is another April fool in May. Latest lie in town.
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by juman(m): 1:51pm On May 21, 2011
This MUST be joke.
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by lavenda: 2:25pm On May 21, 2011
They should out countries youth fresh university, usually are enlisted as trainee military. Support http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpXxnAHG724
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by Texther(m): 2:38pm On May 21, 2011
Abeg make dem no create war 4 dis country ooo. What a rubbish suggestion
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by Texther(m): 2:40pm On May 21, 2011
Bawss1:

First this is outrightly untrue. Who is suppose to fall for such statements such as a source close to a news agency?

Second this is a completely silly idea, more like the workings of a feverish mind harboring wild fantasies. Who is going to pay for the so called weapons, and train the intended users?

@OP
Next time you want to create a sensational thread put a little thought into its content to give it some credibility.
Abi ooo my pal. Make everybody they think b4 posting rubbish or else,
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by stagger: 2:42pm On May 21, 2011
Yeah!

Then when such a corper roams the streets for two years without work, where do you think firearm skills will be deployed?

ROBBERY
MILITANCY
POLITICAL THUGGERY
HITMEN

ETC, ETC, ETC.

Don't forget that some of these corpers used to be cult members in school and so will have added skills to their already loaded violent CVs. I have never heard of such madness.  angry
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 2:43pm On May 21, 2011
this is really strange
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by jimmysho(m): 2:48pm On May 21, 2011
This must be absolute day dreaming by the author because if such should be intended, it has to pass the national assembly and d north wil not let it rail through 4 it will prove their level of intolerance for other tribes
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by edoreedore(m): 2:51pm On May 21, 2011
@ poster, you be olodoooooo grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by MeGaStReEt: 3:18pm On May 21, 2011
LWBMB (laff wan burst my belle)
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by zstranger: 3:19pm On May 21, 2011
OK. Lets go there

Civil war part II
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by Johnpaul2k2(m): 3:25pm On May 21, 2011
I will go to North and serve if this wonderful dream will come to reality.
What Type of Gun because i will not take anything less than AK-47,then let me see how these blood sucking sons of basta,rs will come close to me
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by limen123: 3:27pm On May 21, 2011
That will be great, Oh Lord please let it work.
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by chamber2(m): 3:57pm On May 21, 2011
So, the the world has finally ''ended'' in Nigeria as predicted?

what a clueless country with clueless leaders.

Please i need the contract for the supply of bullets to the corp members, or are they going to use the gun without bullets?
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by Mrsmall: 4:01pm On May 21, 2011
limen123:

That will be great, Oh Lord please let it work.
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by Blazing99: 4:06pm On May 21, 2011
This is too phucking ridiculous.
If corpers get guns then everybody above 16 living in the north deserves one. Na only corper die?
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by tubolancer(m): 4:13pm On May 21, 2011
apart from the pistol corpers need armour tanks and f-16 to follow them everywhere in the north.
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by tutuwater(m): 4:16pm On May 21, 2011
OP: what about increasing the service year to 2 and subjecting corpers to one year compulsory military training. Na real opata yarn grin
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by dmixer1: 4:39pm On May 21, 2011
They shouldn't post any Corper to the North again for 10 years, enough is enough, this is not a jok matter angry
Re: Corps Members Drafted For The North To Carry Firearms by wizzzy: 4:59pm On May 21, 2011
its gonna be a bad idea cos WE WILL KILL ALL THESE ALMAJIRIS! KILL DEM ALL.
d govt will just see dat the population in d north is reducing drastically! shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Blame Nzeogu And Aguyi Ironsi Not Ojukwu For The Nigerian Civil War. / Aregbesola To Build N14.5b Road In Osogbo / Nigeria Intimidation Will Only Force Us To Pick Arms — IPOB Speaks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.