Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,425 members, 7,836,695 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:37 AM

Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse (15529 Views)

FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads / Atiku Abubakar Reacts To National Grid Collapse, Sowore replies / Blackout Worsens As National Grid Suffers Second Collapse Within 48 Hours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse by wazzub: 7:40am On Aug 24, 2021
The national power grid has collapsed for the second time in less than a month, worsening the blackout being experienced by households and businesses in some parts of Nigeria.

The collapse, which occurred around 1pm on Monday, was confirmed by two of the electricity distribution companies in the country.

The grid had on July 28, 2021 suffered a total collapse, which the Transmission Company of Nigeria attributed to the loss of 611 megawatts at two power stations.

Eko Electricity Distribution Company, in a message to its customers on its Facebook page, said, “We regret to inform you of a system collapse on the national grid that’s causing outages across our network.

“We are working with our TCN partners to restore supply as soon as possible. Please bear with us.

Kaduna Electric, said, “We sincerely apologise for the power outage in our franchise states which is due to a system collapse from the national grid. Supply shall be restored as soon as the grid is back up.

“We regret any inconvenience this may cause all our customers.”

Prior to the system collapse, total electricity generation in the country stood at 3,555.6MW as of 6am on Monday, down from 3,789.2MW on Sunday, according to the Nigerian Electricity System Operator.

The grid, which is being managed by government-owned Transmission Company of Nigeria, has continued to suffer system collapse over the years amid a lack of spinning reserve that is meant to forestall such occurrences.

Spinning reserve is the generation capacity that is online but unloaded and that can respond within 10 minutes to compensate for generation or transmission outages.

Our correspondent gathered that the five power stations meant to provide spinning reserves had not been doing this for years.

According to the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission, a total system collapse means total blackout nationwide, while partial system collapse is a failure of a section of the grid.

NERC had in its report for the third quarter of 2017 highlighted the need for adequate proactive measure (adequate spinning reserves) to prevent the system from being destabilised.

It said at the time that it was determined to provide all regulatory intervention necessary to ensure that the Transmission Company of Nigeria procured sufficient spinning reserves.

https://punchng.com/discos-beg-customers-as-blackout-worsens-on-grid-collapse/

Re: Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse by wazzub: 7:42am On Aug 24, 2021
We go dance disco tire angry

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse by Bleiz(m): 7:45am On Aug 24, 2021
Spinning reserve when we don't even generate enough to go round

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse by osamz007: 7:47am On Aug 24, 2021
When will dis nation ever work

"Since 1960 them dey play us, why o?
Shey we go dey cry forevermore??"

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse by Grace001: 7:52am On Aug 24, 2021
What are they apologizing for ? As if Nigerians have enjoyed uninterrupted power supply before

Nigerians are used to blackout.

No be today, since 1960

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse by F117nighthawk: 7:55am On Aug 24, 2021
The best way to teach this scammers and thieves called discos a big lesson is to boycott and stop paying their bills,but Nigerians will never unite and speak with one voice, I have been on generator for over a year in my area now since I refused to be connected to their grid to be paying crazy estimated bills as they are yet to supply me their meter. I keep saying this, if everybody act the way I acted, this nonsense they do will be a thing of the past

66 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse by Nbotee(m): 7:56am On Aug 24, 2021
As if the country isn't collapsing as well

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse by NOGRUDGES(m): 8:03am On Aug 24, 2021
70% of power generated in Nigeria is lost during transmission.
Bad blood politics will not allow effective generation and distribution of electricity.
Let power be generated and distributed locally, let each state run what is most effective.
Prior to connecting to the national grid, some States were enjoying free but steady power, they only had to expand on the infrastructure they had on ground.
But the laws that be would not have that, instead they had these states connected to the national grid, so as to enjoyed the epileptic power supply.
Now there is no government office building where u wouldn't find Lebanese company supplying and maintenaning generating set.
Some are evening using gas turbine to power their buildings.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse by FarahAideed: 8:06am On Aug 24, 2021
NOGRUDGES:
70% of power generated in Nigeria is lost during transmission.
Bad blood politics will not allow effective generation and distribution of electricity.
Let power be generated and distributed locally, let each state run what is most effective.
Prior to connecting to the national grid, some States were enjoying free but steady power, they only had to expand on the infrastructure they had on ground.
But the laws that be would not have that, instead they had these states connected to the national grid, so as to enjoyed the epileptic power supply.
Now there is no government office building where u wouldn't find Lebanese company supplying and maintenaning generating set.
Some are evening using gas turbine to power their buildings.

Point of correction it's rejected and not lost ...The baffling thing is the FG pays for every MW rejected ...you can't make this up
Re: Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse by NOGRUDGES(m): 8:18am On Aug 24, 2021
FarahAideed:

Point of correction it's rejected and not lost ...The baffling thing is the FG pays for every MW rejected ...you can't make this up

The 70% of generated power loss is due to long distance transmission over substandard power infrastructure, power cables design, bad transformers, no protective devices, etc.

The rejection part I also understand, it like telling a distribution company to sell 20MW monthly when only 13MW can be sold, so there an accruing sales deficit of 7MW monthly.

You add both losses and the picture becomes clearer.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse by money121(m): 8:21am On Aug 24, 2021
Yimu
Re: Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse by BigDawsNet: 8:21am On Aug 24, 2021
angry I told my boss that three companies were after me and I need a raise....

My boss asked “what companies? “

Gas, water and electricity undecided

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse by blueyonder6: 8:21am On Aug 24, 2021
Re: Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse by Jone360: 8:21am On Aug 24, 2021
cheesy

Unisex Turtleneck For Adult n Kids Are Available
Payment On Delivery Within Lagos
Nationwide Delivery
Re: Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse by Okemmuo(m): 8:22am On Aug 24, 2021
We don hear
Re: Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse by Nobody: 8:22am On Aug 24, 2021
Discos begs customers angry...as the popular saying implies@costomers are always right

1 Like

Re: Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse by whytediamond(m): 8:23am On Aug 24, 2021
No light at all
Re: Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse by thaoriginator: 8:25am On Aug 24, 2021

Mosquito organise get together for my parlour last night. Dem carry straw come dey dance disco from everywhere

Thunder strike Disco with better lightening and inferno

Me blooodclaaat

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse by Maxymilliano(m): 8:25am On Aug 24, 2021
Between the Nigeria economy and the national power grid, I no know which one collapse pass kiss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse by Unibener: 8:25am On Aug 24, 2021
Everything collapes in my country

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse by Valkrie: 8:26am On Aug 24, 2021
People don't need begging but reducing the damn bill...how can people be paying for service not rendered...? This is a full scam and fraud been sanctioned by the govt of the day...!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse by donproject2(m): 8:28am On Aug 24, 2021
Not to waste this space I selfishly secured, I honestly wish I have something to say but I don't have. This epitomizes what brings those clueless leaders to power, they are just there because they want that power, that freedom to do and undo, they are never capable of ruling. They come, they mess things up.
Re: Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse by BaitMoniker: 8:28am On Aug 24, 2021
It is well
Re: Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse by nairalee(m): 8:29am On Aug 24, 2021
They shouldn't send it via Facebook. Some people couldn't charge their phones and will meet it

They shoulda gone door-to-door to apologize.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse by inoki247: 8:30am On Aug 24, 2021
You dey beg me to endure Darkness nd u still dey bring bill come my house..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse by preshyusufu: 8:33am On Aug 24, 2021
the only problem this country has is the youth, who till this moment are not already to take the destiny of this country from the hands of our grandfathers( Leaders) who are not ready to retire soon until they killed the country.

Collect your PVC, NO. come out and vote for youthful, competent, intelligent and vibrant Leaders, NO.

IF NA TO STAY THROUGH THE NIGHT TO WATCH BBNAIJA, EVEN SPEND THEIR MONEY TO VOTE FOR BBNAIJA, YES. VERY SOON, THE COMING HUNGER GO CORRECT EVERYBODY BRAIN.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Lost Over N6.4 Trillion To Corruption-ridden NNPC Oil Sales – NRGI Repor / Alleged Looters List: Secondus Sues Lai Mohammed, Demands N1.5bn Damages / Buhari To Join the Campaign Train For Tinubu In 10 States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.