Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,285 members, 7,811,846 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:05 PM

Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm (2522 Views)

My Dry Season Rice And Okra Farm (pics) / Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. / My Okra Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by willybaby(m): 1:49pm On Aug 24, 2021
Welcome everybody to this latest thread, truly 2021 season has had its up and downs esp downs, climate change is definitely here and in action but we will never give up only evolve, adapt and improve.

This thread is all about salvaging our season, this thread is about a risk worth taking, about making money and that's why we want you all to also be a part of it..
Before anything else I wanna give a shout out to
@Oluchidelly
@ideepaul
@okoroemeka
and last but not the least
@nairaland grin
Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by willybaby(m): 1:56pm On Aug 24, 2021
We will be using a week to prepare and plant our okra on a heactre of land...
Ploughing
Harrowing
Another harrowing
Planting
Spraying
Germination
Management and maintenance
Harvesting

Let the 1 heactre okra ride begin

1 Like

Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by OluchiDelly: 8:08pm On Aug 24, 2021
willybaby:
Welcome everybody to this latest thread, truly 2021 season has had its up and downs esp downs, climate change is definitely here and in action but we will never give up only evolve, adapt and improve.

This thread is all about salvaging our season, this thread is about a risk worth taking, about making money and that's why we want you all to also be a part of it..
Before anything else I wanna give a shout out to
@Oluchidelly
@ideepaul
@okoroemeka
and last but not the least
@nairaland grin

grin make i carry my chair sitdown for front, cos nobody be boss for this corner. One hectare of any veggie farm no be moin moin, i will be learning from this adventure too cos i have never planted even an acre before not to talk of hectare. By this time tomorrow your seed should have landed in Benue.

1 Like

Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by willybaby(m): 8:16pm On Aug 24, 2021
OluchiDelly:

grin make i carry my chair sitdown for front, cos nobody be boss for this corner. One hectare of any veggie farm no be moin moin, i will be learning from this adventure too cos i have never planted even an acre before not to talk of hectare. By this time tomorrow your seed should have landed in Benue.

yes ooo.. let's all go on the journey together. God bless us all
Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by willybaby(m): 6:20pm On Aug 25, 2021
So today we received the most important item necessary for success in our okra project..

SEEDS.
Thank you @oluchidelly fast delivery I rate 5star
Customer service 5star he even gifted us an extra 500g I pray ur extra to us serve as a harbinger of extra extra harvest..

1 Like

Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by willybaby(m): 6:22pm On Aug 25, 2021
Tomorrow ploughing of land is scheduled.. picture updates loading...
Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by Newman93(m): 9:26pm On Aug 25, 2021
You got my attention. Let's go!!
Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by willybaby(m): 10:42am On Aug 26, 2021
Newman93:
You got my attention. Let's go!!
Naso let ride along
Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by willybaby(m): 10:47am On Aug 26, 2021
Good morning all..
A little science gist, we actually had some Lagon herbicide bottles remaining from what we used earlier this season so I did a test to see if it would work for okra too..

So two experiments was carried out
Experiment 1
Step 1 I created a seed bed in a very comfy area..
Step 2 planted my seeds and sprayed judiciously with Lagon
Step 3.. watering and pictures

Experiment 2
I simply planted okra seeds on an already existing ridge sprayed Lagon herbicide and left it to the rains that's normal conditions
Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by willybaby(m): 10:55am On Aug 26, 2021
Pictures from experiment 1..
Bed created, planted and sprayed.. subsequent day to day pics .. germination was visible from day 2

20 seeds was planted 14 germinated but some young seedlings had yellowish leafs

1 Like

Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by willybaby(m): 10:57am On Aug 26, 2021
Experiment 2.. pictures of germinated seeds on old existed ridge .. 10 seeds was planted here

Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by willybaby(m): 11:00am On Aug 26, 2021
So from my first experiment it showed Lagon had a little effect.. for conclusive evidence I decided to carry out another 1 this time I used the seeds we would be planting, soaked a little in warm water from last night and planted today
Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by willybaby(m): 11:02am On Aug 26, 2021
Pictures below show a single bed.. 2 seeds planted by hole, bed was divided equally into 2 parts and one part was drenched in Lagon

Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by willybaby(m): 11:03am On Aug 26, 2021
Part appearing yellowish and having a plastic bottle beside it
Chemical was applied... Let's see what the results would be

Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by willybaby(m): 12:32pm On Aug 27, 2021
Conclusive evidence shows Lagon herbicide as a premergent ain't good for okra....
Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by willybaby(m): 12:36pm On Aug 27, 2021
Ploughing done and dusted, harrowing things on point

Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by willybaby(m): 12:42pm On Aug 27, 2021
Currently a basin of okra keeps rising and rising in price, hmmm just how much might we make that's the question been asked grin

I for one don't count my chicks before they Hatch

Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by OluchiDelly: 9:08pm On Aug 27, 2021
In response to the rise in price you posted above, i remember I made d comment below around June in one of ur maize/cassava thread.

OluchiDelly:

When everyone plants at the onset of rain in April, the effect is glut after 2 months time. Another fairly short period of cashing out will be in the next 2 months when then current batches have been exhausted, so the right time to plant is now!

1 Like

Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by noeloge82(m): 10:51pm On Aug 27, 2021
willybaby:
Currently a basin of okra keeps rising and rising in price, hmmm just how much might we make that's the question been asked grin

I for one don't count my chicks before they Hatch
Good job , this water is good to be tested , I replied the email you sent me but didn't get a response again from you
Congrats I will wish to try this but have in mind that if you don't mulch it means you will fall back to hand weeding as no chemical will work here so you may need to consider both options on cost effectiveness
Goodluck
Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by OluchiDelly: 11:49pm On Aug 27, 2021
noeloge82:

Good job , this water is good to be tested , I replied the email you sent me but didn't get a response again from you
Congrats I will wish to try this but have in mind that if you don't mulch it means you will fall back to hand weeding as no chemical will work here so you may need to consider both options on cost effectiveness
Goodluck

Great job you are doing in your poultry/animal biz/threads. As regards mulching films, it will not be cost effective for okra as okra does not belong to the league of tomato,cucumber etc in terms of ROI. A big basket of watery local tomatoes in my area was sold for 20k today but such is not possible for okra .
Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by Kobojunkie: 12:58am On Aug 28, 2021
willybaby:
We will be using a week to prepare and plant our okra on a heactre of land...
Ploughing
Harrowing
Another harrowing
Planting
Spraying
Germination
Management and maintenance
Harvesting

Let the 1 heactre okra ride begin
What is the average yield you expect for this crop per hectare? undecided
Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by noeloge82(m): 7:48am On Aug 28, 2021
OluchiDelly:

Great job you are doing in your poultry/animal biz/threads. As regards mulching films, it will not be cost effective for okra as okra does not belong to the league of tomato,cucumber etc in terms of ROI. A big basket of watery local tomatoes in my area was sold for 20k today but such is not possible for okra .

Thanks you are doing great also you have been a great asset here But pls will the manual weeding not be expensive considering the size of farm , what do u think
Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by willybaby(m): 10:11am On Aug 28, 2021
OluchiDelly:
In response to the rise in price you posted above, i remember I made d comment below around June in one of ur maize/cassava thread.

yes you did and your absolutely right, I try not to think about what the price might be when we start harvesting come October... grin
Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by willybaby(m): 10:15am On Aug 28, 2021
noeloge82:

Goodluck
we plan to mulch with rice husk or dried corn stalks after our neighbours might have harvested but not for weed actually but to conserve soil moisture.

In regards to weeding, I don't know about any premergent for okra that's why I did the test with Lagon, so we have no option but to weed when the time comes or spray with contact herbicide, nature of weed will determine
Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by willybaby(m): 10:19am On Aug 28, 2021
Kobojunkie:
What is the average yield you expect for this crop per hectare? undecided
@oluchidelly is the boss on this, but as for us we have a minimum target measured in baskets and once achieved its smiling into the end of the year grin
Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by willybaby(m): 10:23am On Aug 28, 2021
So this would be our guard against pest, actually didn't know I still had this, am glad I will be saving money.. hello house hope this would be effective

Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by Kobojunkie: 3:10pm On Aug 28, 2021
willybaby:
yes you did and your absolutely right, I try not to think about what the price might be when we start harvesting come October... grin
So how many times, each year, do you plant? undecided
Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by noeloge82(m): 3:45pm On Aug 28, 2021
willybaby:
we plan to mulch with rice husk or dried corn stalks after our neighbours might have harvested but not for weed actually but to conserve soil moisture.

In regards to weeding, I don't know about any premergent for okra that's why I did the test with Lagon, so we have no option but to weed when the time comes or spray with contact herbicide, nature of weed will determine

Good plan , the truth is that their is no post emergent chemical for okro the best you can use is using small mouth nozzle and spray gently in between the okro but that should as from 3 weeks old , using contact chemical.
But carefulness and steady hands is the key cos it will burn the okro once it touch the leaves
Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by willybaby(m): 6:43pm On Aug 28, 2021
Kobojunkie:
So how many times, each year, do you plant? undecided
actually my first time for okra, planted it as a first step into horticulture and I need money grin
Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by willybaby(m): 6:45pm On Aug 28, 2021
noeloge82:

Good plan , the truth is that their is no post emergent chemical for okro the best you can use is using small mouth nozzle and spray gently in between the okro but that should as from 3 weeks old , using contact chemical.
But carefulness and steady hands is the key cos it will burn the okro once it touch the leaves
Goodluck
your right sir, and sorry I haven't checked my mail for a while so I missed your response I sure will be contacting you got some things to learn

1 Like

Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by willybaby(m): 6:46pm On Aug 28, 2021
Farmers palliative from the farm today, sweet juicy guava everywhere I can't wait for mango season my favourite

Re: Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm by willybaby(m): 6:49pm On Aug 28, 2021
Our made in Nigeria dam busting with goodness... Rain please keep falling eh this year is your year grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Eggs Incubation In My Room / 112 Egg Chicken And Turkey Egg Incubator+inverter / Mushroom Cultivation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.