Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,425 members, 7,830,125 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:39 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (333) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1192810 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (330) (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Toyen51: 9:50pm On Mar 20, 2022
Pls people that are already in the UK,pls is there plenty of jobs available in Lincolnshire,I got a conditional offer from Lincoln am thinking of considering them because of the low tuition fee,I already have unconditional from university of Westminster but my fear is the the news I hear about how things are expensive in London
Also have a conditional offer e Northrumbia but there tuition deposit and time frame from payment is not favourable for me,I will b coming with my husband and my daughter ,pls I need reasonable advice from people that are already in the system, thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 11:02pm On Mar 20, 2022
For those considering buying used cars, if the dealer or seller offers you any type of insurance from Handler Protect, RUN OH. RUN FOR YOUR LIFE. Handler Protect is a shady company that helps dealers make their offers seem great on paper, but Handler Protect will give you the runaround and not cover any reasonable repair.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by marylandcakes: 11:30pm On Mar 20, 2022
Viruses:
Am I over reacting?

My wife makes hair. She has been getting customers from other african countries on social media. One time, she charged a lady from Sierra Leone £40 for her daughter's hair, fortunately the lady was impressed after the job and paid £50.

Now in church, there are some people from her place, she approached them and told them about her craft that they should patronise her and possibly refer customers because they have been hear way longer.

Do you know that these people have been calling to make their children's hair with abeg. The abeg is not with small money o, it's for free. The one that was even considerate enough to pay is pricing £10 from £30 she was told. I've told wifey to leave them, they should go and continue where they were paying since they don't want to pay us. If their previous place was doing it free, they should continue there as well.

Typical Nigerians, free loaders they will ruin your business for you. Ask your wife to make them book and pay in advance. Time is money.

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bourne007(m): 11:34pm On Mar 20, 2022
If you missed it about 2 years ago when it was all over the news, this is how they operate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le71yVPh4uk

LagosismyHome:

I am tempted to say this probably cannot happen now because of multiple authentication and my bank now makes me confirm a code as a text message for online purchases ....however I think I shared this story before

2019, my hubby went online to pay the TV licence.. apparently it seems he was not on the official website and didn't know that. He was told to put all his card details and even bank details which he did

A week later someone called saying his from the bank that there is a £10,000 in his account accidentally paid that he should give him his pin code and stuff. There was something about the call that was dubious.The guy had heavy Indian accent and sounded so aggressive saying I need code ...he didn't first understand what the call was about ....but the guy was like u have to do this and that now...... The number was showing as HSBC My husband didn't give any pin or code. Cut the phone and called HSBC directly .

Turns out someone had used his account . Applied for a 10k loan( no clue how HSBC even allowed the loan to go through. So that first call from them FRAUDSTERS trying to pull the money out

HSBC stopped it all after my hubby spoke directly with them and the loan was returned as it disappeared from his account but Hsbc refused to tell us exactly what happened. How was someone able to take a loan in his name without his authorisation. Was it a staff of HSBC that was part of the scheme. We never know

But if you get a call from the bank asking for this and that. Best to cut that call and call the bank directly . Dont even call the number that called u. It might be a fradualent person claiming to be from the bank. My husband looks back and said there was something off about the TV licence site. They asked him more details than required but he wasn't paying attention at that time so he thinks that was when they grabbed all the info. the TV licence wasn't paid by the next week because it was a fake site . That another indication that the fraud came from there
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by NONNYG: 3:04am On Mar 21, 2022
SirWellington:

You spoke with so much wisdom
Hi bro, I sent you pm
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 6:56am On Mar 21, 2022
Viruses:
Am I over reacting?

My wife makes hair. She has been getting customers from other african countries on social media. One time, she charged a lady from Sierra Leone £40 for her daughter's hair, fortunately the lady was impressed after the job and paid £50.

Now in church, there are some people from her place, she approached them and told them about her craft that they should patronise her and possibly refer customers because they have been hear way longer.

Do you know that these people have been calling to make their children's hair with abeg. The abeg is not with small money o, it's for free. The one that was even considerate enough to pay is pricing £10 from £30 she was told. I've told wifey to leave them, they should go and continue where they were paying since they don't want to pay us. If their previous place was doing it free, they should continue there as well.

No offence to Nigerians in churches but they are some of the worse people to try and do things like that with. Once you tell them what you do and how much you charge, they would completely ignore that and expect you to do it for free. My mother with through that same thing.

And as you said it was other African people who would pay the exact amount for my mother’s business. Nigerians in her church would expect to be charged nothing or to pay 20% for your time. Just because you are church members and Nigerians.

No point in going to Nigerians churches and thinking you would be able to do business there. They are mostly freeloaders.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by skarlet: 7:34am On Mar 21, 2022
BEST SAVINGS ACCOUNT WITH INTEREST

Hi people. I'm about 2 weeks in town and looking to create an account strictly for long term (incremental) saving.

Is there anything around in the equivalent of Naija's piggyvest where I can save an earn interest over long periods of time?

Kindly advise, please.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pijames: 8:30am On Mar 21, 2022
Anyone with malaria tablet?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 8:49am On Mar 21, 2022
Bourne007:
If you missed it about 2 years ago when it was all over the news, this is how they operate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le71yVPh4uk

Wow.. whosoever was behind this is a techie guru.. I am well impressed how he was able to access their cctv. Na wa. When it comes to 419 people will be shouting Nigerians ( not to justify the wrong we do sha) but we dey learn when it comes to indians and scam

Thanks for sharing.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:02am On Mar 21, 2022
skarlet:
BEST SAVINGS ACCOUNT WITH INTEREST

Hi people. I'm about 2 weeks in town and looking to create an account strictly for long term (incremental) saving.

Is there anything around in the equivalent of Naija's piggyvest where I can save an earn interest over long periods of time?

Kindly advise, please.

This matter was discussed previously, with solutions......

Never nutmeg yourself, always be open to the principles of moneybox ........... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rayralph(m): 10:43am On Mar 21, 2022
Pijames:

Your location ?

I have about 4 packs for free
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by KOVIC19COVID20: 10:44am On Mar 21, 2022
Pijames:

It is highly unlikely that it’s Malaria that is doing you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 10:46am On Mar 21, 2022
Lexusgs430:

This matter was discussed previously, with solutions......

Never nutmeg yourself, always be open to the principles of moneybox ........... cheesy

@ Lexusgs430 is NL very own Satirist cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rayralph(m): 10:46am On Mar 21, 2022
Viruses:
Am I over reacting?

Tell any suspected “freeloader” to book and pay ahead. With a straight face !!!!

This is your livelihood.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:50am On Mar 21, 2022
Pijames:

Better rush to A & E ....... An isolation unit awaits you .....

You would be treated like an alien or astronaut........ grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:51am On Mar 21, 2022
Santa2:

@ Lexusgs430 is NL very own Satirist cheesy

Haba Santa, this is not the Season of bearing gifts...... wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 11:14am On Mar 21, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Wow.. whosoever was behind this is a techie guru.. I am well impressed how he was able to access their cctv. Na wa. When it comes to 419 people will be shouting Nigerians ( not to justify the wrong we do sha) but we dey learn when it comes to indians and scam

Thanks for sharing.

His channel is called Jim Browning, he has done a lot of videos like this and now teaming up with other scambailters like

Scammers payback

Trilogy Media

Bendover

And many others, these guys are incredible and they actually refund victims in most cases.

You will get hocked following their work in YouTube

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ybahrbz91: 11:59am On Mar 21, 2022
Good Morning Everyone

A quick question

Is it advisable for a spouse to do change of name prior to passport application.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:05pm On Mar 21, 2022
ybahrbz91:
Good Morning Everyone

A quick question

Is it advisable for a spouse to do change of name prior to passport application.

NO .......

If she is still bearing her maiden name on all her other documents....... Don't add to her stress by changing her name .......

Wife wey go run, go run regardless........... cheesy

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Preshyi: 12:17pm On Mar 21, 2022
God will keep blessing people on this group. Provisional license out in 7 days record time with the address posted here. I saw it with passport and brp in the mailbox. I guess they came together.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ybahrbz91: 12:21pm On Mar 21, 2022
Thanks @Lexusgs430.

I understand the stress but won't there be at any point in the UK where she would need to provide evidence of marriage.

Lexusgs430:

NO .......

If she is still bearing her maiden name on all her other documents....... Don't add to her stress by changing her name .......

Wife wey go run, go run regardless........... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:22pm On Mar 21, 2022
ybahrbz91:
Thanks @Lexusgs430.

I understand the stress but won't there be at any point in the UK where she would need to provide evidence of marriage.

Una no get registry certificate........ Nah under bridge, una tie una knot ........... cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 12:22pm On Mar 21, 2022
ybahrbz91:
Good Afternoon Everyone

I arrived safely in Glasgow few days ago and I am settling down fine.

Thanks to everyone who is contributing on this page with vital information.

I have some enquiries to make;

I was given a Lebara SIM back at TLC in Naija, if the data get exhausted, how do I recharge for a new one.

My Landlord told me that Scottish power will read my meters directly and the monthly charges of the previous tenants would be deducted as direct debit for few months before they regularise my charges and make a refund if I have a lower usage.

I am a newbie here in Glasgow and I will appreciate any helpful information.

That is not my experience.
As soon as I move in, I take meter reading. Compare it with what oga landlord had written on the tenancy agreement appendix. Then I contact the power company to set ME up. Then I pay for what I use. The previous tenants bear their cross, I bear mine. E be like say this landlord don do u ojoro.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 12:24pm On Mar 21, 2022
Preshyi:
God will keep blessing people on this group. Provisional license out in 7 days record time with the address posted here. I saw it with passport and brp in the mailbox. I guess they came together.

what address was that, please
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ybahrbz91: 12:27pm On Mar 21, 2022
Lol....we have the marriage registry.

Lexusgs430:

Una no get registry certificate........ Nah under bridge, una tie una knot ........... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:29pm On Mar 21, 2022
ybahrbz91:
Lol....we have the marriage registry.

What more is proof of marriage........... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ybahrbz91: 12:45pm On Mar 21, 2022
Thanks @Lexusgs430 for all you do on this thread.
Thanks everyone also for the unconditional support.

My people in Glasgow!!! @chreze and others

I landed safely and I will appreciate every Tutelage here.

Lexusgs430:

What more is proof of marriage........... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Preshyi: 12:51pm On Mar 21, 2022
It was discussed that for quick return of BRP and provisional license,

1. Disregard or discard or shred the pre-addressed envelope sent with your form

2. Address your post to

FAO Lee Jones
Head of Vehicle input services
DVLA
Longview Rd
Swansea
SA6 7JL

3. Watch your BRP and PDL come back swiftly

Tried and trusted; still works

#Copied
BorisJohnson:

what address was that, please

18 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 12:52pm On Mar 21, 2022
ybahrbz91:
Good Morning Everyone

A quick question

Depends on you. If she already has a valid passport then she can always change that when she gets here.

Knew someone who got married in September at Abeokuta, his wife never had a passport, changed everything via affidavit and by October they got her passport, did her TB, English test, NIN, bank account changed and her application is at UKVI right now.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:56pm On Mar 21, 2022
ybahrbz91:
Good Afternoon Everyone

I arrived safely in Glasgow few days ago and I am settling down fine.

Thanks to everyone who is contributing on this page with vital information.

I have some enquiries to make;

I was given a Lebara SIM back at TLC in Naija, if the data get exhausted, how do I recharge for a new one.

My Landlord told me that Scottish power will read my meters directly and the monthly charges of the previous tenants would be deducted as direct debit for few months before they regularise my charges and make a refund if I have a lower usage.

I am a newbie here in Glasgow and I will appreciate any helpful information.

I hope you also took detailed pictures and videos, of the property (from floor to roof) ........... cheesy

If you love your deposit and don't want to be served breakfast.......... Quick Quick ......... wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 1:06pm On Mar 21, 2022
Does anyone here have an idea on the cost/process of renewing the lease on flats?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ybahrbz91: 1:22pm On Mar 21, 2022
Lol.

I have done that.

Thanks Chief.

Lexusgs430:

I hope you also took detailed pictures and videos, of the property (from floor to roof) ........... cheesy

If you love your deposit and don't want to be served breakfast.......... Quick Quick ......... wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (330) (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.