Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,737 members, 7,824,086 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:27 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (571) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1186110 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (568) (569) (570) (571) (572) (573) (574) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 4:59pm On Aug 16, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Employability and the rest of your question are in the eye of the beerholder, but if you can help it do not waste your money on either options 1, 3 or 4. Especially 3 and 4.

I think Supply chain is in the same whatsapp group too or have things changed?
smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 7:49pm On Aug 16, 2022
dustbin007:
Hi everyone

Who knows if Qatar Air makes any provision for their long layover in Doha? Would they give hotel abi someone has to sleep in the airport?

Thank you.

Why not just explore the airport? smiley Then find one corner and sleep afterwards or gist if you're not alone. I think layovers less than 8 hours can be endured especially if it's your first time in the airport and you don't have money for direct flights. Not easy if you're alone sha but what can one do?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 7:51pm On Aug 16, 2022
xtasyt:

Hello Sir and Elders
I'll be travelling with my spouse to the UK sometimes next month as a dependent. Could you help with anyone or a link that can help in securing an apartment in Newcastle? Also, the plan is to land in London, Heathrow first off, wts the best mode of transport to Newcastle. BUS OR TRAIN ??

August/September is here. This question might be coming up everyday.

You can use National Express if you seek affordability. You can either book online or at the Airport, I prefer newbies booking at the Airport when they land.

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ybahrbz91: 8:01pm On Aug 16, 2022
Good Evening Everyone.

Touched down in Glasgow few months back.

Thanks everyone for the support and advise here.

God Bless Us All.

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 8:10pm On Aug 16, 2022
dustbin007:
Hi everyone

Who knows if Qatar Air makes any provision for their long layover in Doha? Would they give hotel abi someone has to sleep in the airport?
Qatar airport has paid access lounges.
You can pay for Al maha lounge or Oryx lounge online to enjoy 6 hours stay which comes with food, drinks, bathroom services, peace, quiet etcetera. In naira, this is about 32-40k for the 6 hours. In pounds about 45-55 pounds.
The lounges are after security.
This has to be paid before your travel. If you pay when you get to the lounge the price increases.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by oluwaleokey: 10:02pm On Aug 16, 2022
Hey guys
A family of 4
Have gotten our BRP
Applied for NI but has got the reference number.

We are Kent, learnt we need register for GP.
Please what and what do we still need to do to settle in smoothly...
Also are there hacks to survive easily in Kent... Meant cheaper ways to get along
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HondaLover(m): 11:20pm On Aug 16, 2022
xtasyt:

Hello Sir and Elders
I'll be travelling with my spouse to the UK sometimes next month as a dependent. Could you help with anyone or a link that can help in securing an apartment in Newcastle? Also, the plan is to land in London, Heathrow first off, wts the best mode of transport to Newcastle. BUS OR TRAIN ??
I would advice you do manchester rather than London, you reduce your travel time that way, most likely cost too, else you want to view london or have anything doing then
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustbin007: 11:48pm On Aug 16, 2022
Thank you!
Solumtoya:

Why not just explore the airport? smiley Then find one corner and sleep afterwards or gist if you're not alone. I think layovers less than 8 hours can be endured especially if it's your first time in the airport and you don't have money for direct flights. Not easy if you're alone sha but what can one do?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustbin007: 11:49pm On Aug 16, 2022
Thank you!!
giselle237:
Qatar airport has paid access lounges.
You can pay for Al maha lounge or Oryx lounge online to enjoy 6 hours stay which comes with food, drinks, bathroom services, peace, quiet etcetera. In naira, this is about 32-40k for the 6 hours. In pounds about 45-55 pounds.
The lounges are after security.
This has to be paid before your travel. If you pay when you get to the lounge the price increases.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HollyMadison(f): 12:04am On Aug 17, 2022
grandma123:
Hello my people, please I need your input on my situation.

What can I do differently to ace my employment in the country?

Please kindly advice?
No insult please

Adjust your cv to meet the job requirements, maybe have one for accounting and one for project management.

Apply to as many nhs jobs as possible (e.g project/delivery manager in your case).

Include key words in the job description to your supporting statement.

Don’t be too location specific.

Start from the oldest jobs(the end, e.g page 357), you’ll get quick feedback.

It’s just one interview, and all NHS interview questions are similar. Tie your experience or degree to your care experience. Use their buzzwords(NHS core values, project mgmt lingo etc)

Ask for interview feedback, learn from your mistakes, pray & keep applying.

Good luck.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 4:08am On Aug 17, 2022
dustbin007:
Thank you!!
You’re welcome
Call the airline though. Ideally if it’s a very long layover they should/could be providing hotel free of charge. Their intl helpdesk is helpful.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Jaymarius(f): 12:25pm On Aug 17, 2022
Yes. Airfrance requires transit visa. If you call their call lines, they will tell you a different thing. You can book Nigeria to London and take a coach to wherever. I hope this helps.

mintyx:
Hello Everyone!

I recently booked an Airfrance round trip ticket from Heathrow to Nigeria.

I am from Nigeria and I work here in the UK.

The trip is not a direct trip. Airfrance will stop over in France and then to Nigeria. My coming back will be from Nigeria - France - UK.

Do I necessarily need a Schengen airport transit visa for this trip?

I have asked this question to Airfrance but they weren't helpful.

Has anyone travelled to Nigeria from UK via Airfrance recently and did they ask for a transit Schengen visa?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by xtasyt: 1:28pm On Aug 17, 2022
Solumtoya:

Thank you for you kind help. How do I go about the accommodation please ?
August/September is here. This question might be coming up everyday.

You can use National Express if you seek affordability. You can either book online or at the Airport, I prefer newbies booking at the Airport when they land.

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by xtasyt: 1:30pm On Aug 17, 2022
Yes please. I want ti spend a couple of days with family In London before heading to Newcastle.
quote author=HondaLover post=115774558]
I would advice you do manchester rather than London, you reduce your travel time that way, most likely cost too, else you want to view london or have anything doing then[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 1:48pm On Aug 17, 2022
Well done bosses, please can any one give suggestions of airlines that don’t require transit visas or Covid 19 cards for a trip from Lagos to London? … Thank you Sirs/Mas Baba lexusgls am loyal Sir grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Elektra008(f): 1:55pm On Aug 17, 2022
HollyMadison:

Apply to as many nhs jobs as possible (e.g project/delivery manager in your case).

Include key words in the job description to your supporting statement.

Don’t be too location specific.

Start from the oldest jobs(the end, e.g page 357), you’ll get quick feedback.

Good luck.

Quick question pls, isn't there a possibility that the older jobs have been filled already? As per your point about starting from the oldest jobs.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by teeebest(m): 6:03pm On Aug 17, 2022
Hello Elders, please is there any advantage working for NHS as a band 3 Nursing Assistant?

My Wife works with a care home. She work as many shifts as possible depending on what are strength permits. We are also looking at healthcare sponsorship as she's comfortable with the job and I'm the one studying on tier 4 visa. Now, she got a Job with NHS as a Nursing assistant. She can only work for a 37.5 hrs per week.

When it comes to settlement in this country or career growth, please is it worth it for her to move from the private care home to NHS despite earning less?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 6:31pm On Aug 17, 2022
teeebest:
Hello Elders, please is there any advantage working for NHS as a band 3 Nursing Assistant?

My Wife works with a care home. She work as many shifts as possible depending on what are strength permits. We are also looking at healthcare sponsorship as she's comfortable with the job and I'm the one studying on tier 4 visa. Now, she got a Job with NHS as a Nursing assistant. She can only work for a 37.5 hrs per week.

When it comes to settlement in this country or career growth, please is it worth it for her to move from the private care home to NHS despite earning less?

Personally, I'd stay let her stick with the care job that pays her more. With the rising cost of living, you're going to need all of that income. NHS Band 3 pay is peanuts regardless of where you live in this country.
She can continue working the care home job, and looking for other openings with higher pay. It's not worth sacrificing much better pay now for sponsorship especially where there's a possibility of getting same a few months down the line.
Those with sponsorship right now what are they doing with it? (Y'all don't come for my head please). Enjoy the pay now, who knows if she's a great worker and the care employer is in dire need, they might sponsor her there as well. At the end of the day it's choosing between short term (sure)benefits and long term (uncertain) gain. At the rate the country is going, by the time you're done on a tier 4 visa, you might already be looking at mission japa part 2.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HollyMadison(f): 8:27pm On Aug 17, 2022
Elektra008:

Quick question pls, isn't there a possibility that the older jobs have been filled already? As per your point about starting from the oldest jobs.

No. If they are still on the nhs job site, the positions are still open.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phayie(m): 9:40pm On Aug 17, 2022
Exchange rate is now £1=N814. The best time to send money to naija

I use Lemonade Finance to send money to Africa. You get 10.00 GBP when you verify your account and send over 100.00 GBP with my referral link - https://referral.lemonade.finance/invite/cZuH
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DadR: 9:56pm On Aug 17, 2022
Thank you very much for the robust feedback, God bless you.

I will proceed as you've advised.

Ticha:

You have a tenancy under law so fear not. As long as you're paying rent as agreed, you have an active tenancy. Lexus is right. In this case, you won't even lose your deposit regardless of damage because he has broken the law by not lodging it and therefore can't claim anything off it. Even if he lodges it later, he has still failed to abide by the tenancy act. The good thing about not having a signed agreement is that there are no detrimental clauses he can enforce - at all.

Write him formally - by email and text (preferred for evidence) or by post - registered delivery so you have evidence - detailing what needs to be fixed, ask to have the tenancy agreement signed by both of you and your deposit protection letter for your own records. For example, you will need the tenancy agreement for certain things - prove your address, visa stuff as and when the time comes...

Is the issue to be fixed quite bad? i.e. does it impact on you living there? If it is very bad and he's not responsive, contact environmental health. The council will force him to take action but of course your relationship with him may become fraught.

But if you're leaving after 6 months, just relax and take him to the dispute resolution once the tenancy ends and claim back your deposit plus the extra. And if he has not provided any right to rent documents, claim the whole of your 6 months rent back too. First and foremost - check that he definitely hasn't protected it. You can easily check any of the 3 services - https://www.gov.uk/tenancy-deposit-protection/if-your-landlord-doesnt-protect-your-deposit

Make sure you give the right notice. Which is one month. Read here for more information - https://www.gov.uk/private-renting-tenancy-agreements/your-landlord-wants-to-end-your-tenancy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 1:02am On Aug 18, 2022
Phayie:
Exchange rate is now £1=N814. The best time to send money to naija

I use Lemonade Finance to send money to Africa. You get 10.00 GBP when you verify your account and send over 100.00 GBP with my referral link - https://referral.lemonade.finance/invite/cZuH

Say please

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 7:05am On Aug 18, 2022
I don't know how the NHS band 3 pays. If it's marginal to care job, you might want to consider criticality of funds to you as a family at the moment; especially if owo is the ko ko (money na di tin)!
If your concern is settlement in this country or career growth, you'll have to check other factors and weigh up.
- will she be going mainstream into Nursing
- does it matter which pathway of healthcare she follows as a career: Care, Nursing, others
- will those be critical when you're done studying and start working in your profession
- will you both be pursuing professional career
- is ILR a 'project must have' or you're not so keen so long you get by in the UK or 'jakpa' to other 'safe' haven or move back (9ja) to live big

Alongside status (to live in the UK), does the NHS pension makes any difference to you: AFAIK, NHS pension is one of the best (well, the academic will punts their annulation)

The dynamics for care job might change in the next year or so. That of nursing might follow the same upward trajectory #pay #mobility #dignity
Read discourse regarding possible intervention in healthcare in page 538.
semmyk:
TheGuyFromHR:

Above are not exhaustive factors. You'll need to consider your personal circumstances, aspirations. All the best.
Ki Oluwa kọ gbogbo wa mọ ṣe.
kode12:
Personally, I'd stay let her stick with the care job that pays her more. With the rising cost of living, you're going to need all of that income. NHS Band 3 pay is peanuts[/i] regardless of where you live in this country.
She can continue working the care home job, and looking for other openings with higher pay. It's not worth sacrificing much better pay now for sponsorship especially where there's a possibility of getting same a few months down the line.
At the end of the day it's choosing between short term (sure)benefits and long term (uncertain) gain. At the rate the country is going, by the time you're done on a tier 4 visa, you might already be looking at mission japa part 2.
teeebest:
Hello Elders, please is there any [u]advantage working for NHS as a band 3 Nursing Assistant[/i]?
My Wife works with a care home. She work as many shifts as possible depending on what are strength permits. We are also looking at [u]healthcare sponsorship
as she's comfortable with the job and I'm the one studying on tier 4 visa. Now, she got a Job with NHS as a Nursing assistant. She can only work for a 37.5 hrs per week.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by sexymonkey(m): 9:03am On Aug 18, 2022
kaylov12:

I am on a skilled worker visa as a teacher.

Didn’t get in as a teacher directly from 9ja.
Came in on a student visa for PGCE, then switched to tier 2.
This would be the most possible pathway. Although I have been reading about some pilot pathways, yet to confirm.
Please is it possible to get the government scholarship for the PGCE(training) from Nigeria.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by teeebest(m): 9:29am On Aug 18, 2022
kode12:

Personally, I'd stay let her stick with the care job that pays her more. With the rising cost of living, you're going to need all of that income. NHS Band 3 pay is peanuts regardless of where you live in this country.
Those with sponsorship right now what are they doing with it? (Y'all don't come for my head please). Enjoy the pay now, who knows if she's a great worker and the care employer is in dire need, they might sponsor her there as well. At the end of the day it's choosing between short term (sure)benefits and long term (uncertain) gain. At the rate the country is going, by the time you're done on a tier 4 visa, you might already be looking at mission japa part 2.

Okay. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by teeebest(m): 9:30am On Aug 18, 2022
semmyk:
I don't know how the NHS band 3 pays. If it's marginal to care job, you might want to consider criticality of funds to you as a family at the moment; especially if owo is the ko ko (money na di tin)!
If your concern is settlement in this country or career growth, you'll have to check other factors and weigh up.
- will she be goings mainstream into Nursing
- does it matter which pathway of healthcare she follows as a career: Care, Nursing, others
- will those be critical when you're done studying and start working in your profession
- will you both be pursuing professional career
- is ILR a 'project must have' or you're not so keen so long you get by in the UK or 'jakpa' to other 'safe' haven or move back (9ja) to live big

Alongside status (to live in the UK), does the NHS pension makes any difference to you: AFAIK, NHS pension is one of the best (well, the academic will punts their annulation)

The dynamics for care job might change in the next year or so. That of nursing might follow the same upward trajectory #pay #mobility #dignity
Read discourse regarding possible intervention in healthcare in page 538.

Above are not exhaustive factors. You'll need to consider your personal circumstances, aspirations. All the best.
Ki Oluwa kọ gbogbo wa mọ ṣe.

Àmín. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (568) (569) (570) (571) (572) (573) (574) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.