Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,518 members, 7,823,226 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:03 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (738) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1184783 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (735) (736) (737) (738) (739) (740) (741) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rayralph(m): 5:11pm On Nov 28, 2022
mimilyrics:
No, that's not quite right. For admin/project support roles and its likes, there's no sponsorship at band 3 but for HCA roles and it's like, yes.

I guess NHS Scotland is totally different from NHS England in this aspect.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 5:24pm On Nov 28, 2022
Maturedhustler:
Afternoon Elders,

Is claim for help with health costs (NHS) for Optical Lens, Dental and others part of public fund? I got to know that I can get NHS Certificates for discount payments for my glasses and that of my children.

I also received a mail from my children’s school on Scottish child payment. I guess this will be from public fund. Help clarify too.

Finally, are those on PSW allowed to benefit from public funds?

Thanks

It has low income written all over it( check NHS low income scheme), you know say low income and public funds na 5&6. Thread carefully.

Last part of your post is an emphatic no
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Poanan: 5:27pm On Nov 28, 2022
Maturedhustler:

☝️☝️☝️ Pls help clarify. Thanks

From what i used to know, Scottish child payment is public funds. I dont know if a new regulations has overturned the earlier.

Someone close to me fell victim of thos. Though not in recent times. The person was asked to pay the money that was then. Then they were more withs things like this done by immigrants.
If the position still remains that may make future visa renewal, or ILR impossible.
The town is very hot now.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 5:43pm On Nov 28, 2022
eniola1010:

Boss answer me na pls

Err you didnt ask me any question boss
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 5:56pm On Nov 28, 2022
Fourcade:
Hi everyone,

I have a friend who works with an agency. he's a 24hrs support worker. he has grown to be a hard worker to the client and the client loves the companionship and emotional support he offers. The wife of the client also loves him. They prefer him to the other support workers who work there.

Now the issue is, the wife wants her to be the main support worker along with one other worker she choses. They want to employ her directly and stop the agency from sending workers there.

The wife of the client isn't aware of her visa status as a tier 4 student. The agency has also promised her tier 2 sponsorship. There is so so much uncertainty about the tier 2 sponsorship.

This is a situation of not biting the hands that feed you. She doesn't want the client to withdraw from the agency and wants to also continue working for the agency. Her fear is that she may lose on both sides. Not getting the sponsorship and also losing the client.

What are her options? Is there any visa that she can apply for to work with the client directly? She's confused.

Why is this a complicated issue though? The patient (or persons being cared for) can not sponsor your friend without a license so that's out of the question. The agency also would not want to lose out on having them as a client either.
Since both sides are apparently happy with the work he is doing, your friend should simply tell the client to approach the agency and discuss their preference of having him/her being the main care worker. It's a win-win for both sides, I don't see how they'd have an issue with it.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 6:05pm On Nov 28, 2022
kode12:

Why is this a complicated issue though? The patient (or persons being cared for) can not sponsor your friend without a license so that's out of the question. The agency also would not want to lose out on having them as a client either.
Since both sides are apparently happy with the work he is doing, your friend should simply tell the client to approach the agency and discuss their preference of having him/her being the main care worker. It's a win-win for both sides, I don't see how they'd have an issue with it.
It’s complicated because he/she is looking to cut out the middle man (the agency) and earn way more than they are currently earning Lol. That’s the undertone of the whole dilemma.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 6:21pm On Nov 28, 2022
Elders in the house, which contract sim would you advise one go for in SE London Greenwich to be precise with much benefits.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 6:44pm On Nov 28, 2022
hustla:

Err you didnt ask me any question boss

Thanks so much my friend for ur input
I have some more questions, and perhaps the house too can learn

(1) I see so much people on this thread who keep looking for firms to offer sponsorship i also see lot of people whom complain after that they had to drop an offer because during interview stage they found out such job does not do sponsorship.

Because of this sponsorship wahala i have really browsed the net. And i found out that there is a comprehensive list of firms in the uk that can do sponsorship.

My point now is, since we all know the companies that can do sponsorship. Why then do we apply for jobs that arent on that list and hope that they do sponsorship or am i getting it all wrong?

(2) a friend of mine - tho i dont knw if she is lying - says she earns 67 pounds for sleepin in the care home she works. Omo my ear ring wen i hear. Cus thats really much. Even me na just 30pounds i dey earn for sleep in.
My point is how is it possible for one to know the likely salary amount of a coy before even applying?

(3) if i am main applicant. But my wife got a 3 year COS.
Can i travel out of uk lets say for a year. And come back?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Fasasiidris: 6:52pm On Nov 28, 2022
Please. Ejo
I’m looking for work I can do since our sponsor doesn’t have enough jobs or agent connect of work I can do without NI.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 7:59pm On Nov 28, 2022
eniola1010:

(1) I see so much people on this thread who keep looking for firms to offer sponsorship i also see lot of people whom complain after that they had to drop an offer because during interview stage they found out such job does not do sponsorship.

1. Well, people might want to get UK experience first before applying for the ones with sponsorship. The UK experience helps + sitting around and waiting for sponsorship alone means you get to miss out on other quality experience which will later help you
Appying to only coys offering sponsorship can be your strategy though, what works for A might not work for B

2. Yes, my house mate earns 67 also. I think I have seen £80, varies across coys. I earn £30 / sleepin and its cheating tbh. You can always know what youll earn during the interview if you ask

3. I believe you can if you have completed all neccessary docs when you enter etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:00pm On Nov 28, 2022
Fasasiidris:
Please. Ejo
I’m looking for work I can do since our sponsor doesn’t have enough jobs or agent connect of work I can do without NI.

Thanks

How long have you worked for?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Thryphosa(m): 8:17pm On Nov 28, 2022
Good evening nurses in the house, pls I need CBT materials for my wife who is a nurse. I think that is the next exam she needs to write after passing IELTS. Pls I need quick response. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 8:22pm On Nov 28, 2022
Amarathripple0:

It’s complicated because he/she is looking to cut out the middle man (the agency) and earn way more than they are currently earning Lol. That’s the undertone of the whole dilemma.

Lol that’s funny though, considering it’s only the agency that can offer him/her sponsorship.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 8:52pm On Nov 28, 2022
hustla:

2. Yes, my house mate earns 67 also. I think I have seen £80, varies across coys. I earn £30 / sleepin and its cheating tbh. You can always know what youll earn during the interview if you ask

Hourly/daily ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 9:05pm On Nov 28, 2022
hustla:

1. Well, people might want to get UK experience first before applying for the ones with sponsorship. The UK experience helps + sitting around and waiting for sponsorship alone means you get to miss out on other quality experience which will later help you
Appying to only coys offering sponsorship can be your strategy though, what works for A might not work for B

3. I believe you can completed all neccessary docs when you enter etc.

Thanks so much
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:25pm On Nov 28, 2022
Estroller:

Hourly/daily ?

Just to sleep in, flat rate
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 10:15pm On Nov 28, 2022
Ask and search here: https://www.nairaland.com/2863557/nigerian-nurses-midwives-dream-working/204

Thryphosa:
Good evening nurses in the house, pls I need CBT materials for my wife who is a nurse. I think that is the next exam she needs to write after passing IELTS. Pls I need quick response. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 10:28pm On Nov 28, 2022
Abeg hook me up naa

hustla:

Just to sleep in, flat rate
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Thryphosa(m): 11:46pm On Nov 28, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 11:49pm On Nov 28, 2022
bigtt76:
Abeg hook me up naa

How naw LOL
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 12:15am On Nov 29, 2022
eniola1010:

Because of this sponsorship wahala i have really browsed the net. And i found out that there is a comprehensive list of firms in the uk that can do sponsorship.

My point now is, since we all know the companies that can do sponsorship. Why then do we apply for jobs that arent on that list and hope that they do sponsorship or am i getting it all wrong?

(2) a friend of mine - tho i dont knw if she is lying - says she earns 67 pounds for sleepin in the care home she works. Omo my ear ring wen i hear. Cus thats really much. Even me na just 30pounds i dey earn for sleep in.
My point is how is it possible for one to know the likely salary amount of a coy before even applying?

1. Just because a firm can sponsor, doesn't mean they will sponsor YOU. There are caps on certificates companies can issue, although they can apply for increases, and moreover, not all will want to sponsor until they are sure about your value.

Conversely, just because a firm cannot sponsor now, doesn't mean they cannot apply for a license to sponsor you.

You're right though - it makes the most sense to prioritise companies that are on that list as having licenses already.

2. No idea.

3. Check the limits on how long you can stay out for on your specific visa, and how it'll be counted when time comes to apply for ILR.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 12:20am On Nov 29, 2022
Fourcade:
Hi everyone,

I have a friend who works with an agency. he's a 24hrs support worker. he has grown to be a hard worker to the client and the client loves the companionship and emotional support he offers. The wife of the client also loves him. They prefer him to the other support workers who work there.

Now the issue is, the wife wants her to be the main support worker along with one other worker she choses. They want to employ her directly and stop the agency from sending workers there.

The wife of the client isn't aware of her visa status as a tier 4 student. The agency has also promised her tier 2 sponsorship. There is so so much uncertainty about the tier 2 sponsorship.

This is a situation of not biting the hands that feed you. She doesn't want the client to withdraw from the agency and wants to also continue working for the agency. Her fear is that she may lose on both sides. Not getting the sponsorship and also losing the client.

What are her options? Is there any visa that she can apply for to work with the client directly? She's confused.

1. Individuals/families cannot sponsor workers. How does she think she'll get sponsorship from the family?

2. Although she might earn more initially, there is value in being with an agency such as options of clients (like if something goes wrong with one client abi quarrel enter), and also a steady stream of work. I don't know what the pay is like in the industry and how much the marginal/extra income will be from cutting out the agency, but I doubt it'll be worth forgoing the relative security of a secure role.

Tell your friend to be careful. The line between ambition and greed is thin and very slippery.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Strata1716: 1:01am On Nov 29, 2022
Good morning everyone, thank you for always helping out. Please I will love to seek advise on something important.

A friend of mine currently stay in a 4bedflat with a mum and 2 kids, she babysits one of the kid with special needs in exchange for paying rent so she only pays bills and not rent, she signed a six month term agreement with the mum and for two months has been living there and doing the babysitting.

On the 26th of this month the woman asked her to leave on the 23rd of December saying that my frequent isn’t communal and she needs someone that engages and don’t stay in the room all the time, truthfully my friend is the type of person that keeps to herself and mind her business but my friend is currently doing her masters and working so she tends to be tired and busy a lot and she’s not the extroverted type.

My friend was shocked and in tears called me to ask if the woman can ask her to leave even though there is still 4 months left on their agreement, I thought to ask people here who are more experienced and will be able to help.

Please I’ll be really grateful if I can get answers because my friend has been really down and unhappy.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 1:50am On Nov 29, 2022
Strata1716:
Good morning everyone, thank you for always helping out. Please I will love to seek advise on something important.

A friend of mine currently stay in a 4bedflat with a mum and 2 kids, she babysits one of the kid with special needs in exchange for paying rent so she only pays bills and not rent, she signed a six month term agreement with the mum and for two months has been living there and doing the babysitting.

On the 26th of this month the woman asked her to leave on the 23rd of December saying that my frequent isn’t communal and she needs someone that engages and don’t stay in the room all the time, truthfully my friend is the type of person that keeps to herself and mind her business but my friend is currently doing her masters and working so she tends to be tired and busy a lot and she’s not the extroverted type.

My friend was shocked and in tears called me to ask if the woman can ask her to leave even though there is still 4 months left on their agreement, I thought to ask people here who are more experienced and will be able to help.

Please I’ll be really grateful if I can get answers because my friend has been really down and unhappy.

Subject to what is in the agreement, I don't believe that 1 month notice is valid. Still there are a lot of factors depending on what kind of tenancy it was (sounds like a non-assured tenancy, anyway, which would entitle her to complete the 6 months agreed at least). These things cannot be advised on speculatively though - Ask your friend to contact Shelter (look them up) for free legal advice.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goodly1: 7:24am On Nov 29, 2022
mizGene:

I'm liking this. This is a strategy I recently decided to adopt - I mean the job changing.
I am naturally very "loyal" and also not necessarily motivated by money, I have taken pay cuts to be in a role that I prefered... If I enjoy my work and I like the culture and I'm respected, then I can stay put for a long while in one company.

Recently I got a new manager at work and the dude who at the point knew little about the work/product started questioning my work and made some very unjustified disparaging remarks...I was quite shocked. I always put in my best and never in my whole life has my output been unsatisfactory. I just imagined that this human can wake up and give me a bad performance review and I'll be asked to leave., this is how they will stain my white .. undecided

That weekend, I edited my CV (and kept updating/tweaking it almost weekly ) and started some courses I had been procrastinating. Within a month I had a number of interviews scheduled and accepted an offer (Lesson here for me is that once you have that UK experience you lacked initially, you will become more appealing in the market, so for those saying sponsorship limits you to one employer...I say only if you let it)

Also I quietly quit - I never take my laptop home again....I used to come in up to 30mins before official time and stay late to finish up sometimes....now I walk in like other ppl by 9 or 9.15 sef and 4.50pm I pack my bag...no time tongue
I have never called in sick...I plan to be sick next week or upper, afterall everyone is coughing amd sneezing lipsrsealed

I realised that I achieved a lot in 6 weeks because I was angry, now I want that to be my default status - always "angry" and looking for the next best thing and putting needs first.

If I may ask, why did you move to a lower band?
Your comment's got me laughing!grin I like this!
How can one plan to be sick, by praying for it? LoL...grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jadepinkett(f): 9:16am On Nov 29, 2022
Chreze:

I don’t know about the top two. But the last one on PSW is NO. No recourse to public fund.

Just this morning I was wondering why someone contributing 20/21% of their earning is not qualified for public fund. The person is already contributing to the economy, so why not get access to the contribution. This UK can leave person with so many questions sometimes.

20% is even fair. What about those on the 40% tax bracket? Questions really do arise
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 9:35am On Nov 29, 2022
@bidosko abeg check your email
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gemma11: 10:21am On Nov 29, 2022
Chreze:

I don’t know about the top two. But the last one on PSW is NO. No recourse to public fund.

Just this morning I was wondering why someone contributing 20/21% of their earning is not qualified for public fund. The person is already contributing to the economy, so why not get access to the contribution. This UK can leave person with so many questions sometimes.

I am not familiar with visa rules but those on Student visas don't pay tax or council tax on their 20 hour per week earnings. Their partners may if they work but they are already getting free school and other amenities for their kids. Plus partners of those on student visas also don't pay council tax.

In any case it is the law of the land and it needs to be respected.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 10:24am On Nov 29, 2022
I don't think so going by the information on gov.uk. Link below. The jobs that can be sponsored as band 4 and below do not include admin jobs except the pay is above 25,600. Getting above 25,600 as a band 4 admin means that the person is at the top pay point which is usually attainable only after some years within the NHS.
Also, someone on a student visa who got a job of less than £25,600 will only be sponsored if they quote the attached screenshot as many NHS recruiting managers will not sponsor except you are able to provide proof from the gov.uk site. Not many people get to the stage where they are able to show that.
NHS Payscales: https://www.nhsemployers.org/articles/pay-scales-202223
Information on eligible sponsored professions inclusive of Bands 3 and 4: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-pay-scales-for-eligible-healthcare-jobs/national-pay-scales-for-eligible-healthcare-occupation-codes
Information on when you can be paid less - many people on students visa can use this but most never get the chance to: https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/when-you-can-be-paid-less
Note: Many people in NHS HR and/or recruiting managers will tell you straight up that they can't sponsor B3/B4 admin jobs even if they have to advertise the job multiple times. Most would rather not go the trouble since it's usually easy to fill such roles without necessarily sponsoring the candidates. Also, most B3/B4 jobs are usually roles that don't require so much skill per se so when most recruiting managers put these jobs out, they are not willing to sponsor.
rayralph:

I guess NHS Scotland is totally different from NHS England in this aspect.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 10:26am On Nov 29, 2022
That's dicey and might come back to bite him in the a**
Amarathripple0:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tawak: 2:02pm On Nov 29, 2022
Have you gotten your passport now?

Santa2:
If you are going to the Nigerian High Commision for passport renewal and you booked an appointment, I have one piece of advice for you. Ignore your appointment time and get there as soon as possible. Apparently, your appointment time does not matter (they just need to know you booked), You are given a tally number when you get there, that determines when you are attended to. Hence the earlier you get there, the earlier you leave. Also be prepared to stand for a while. I can't imagine what people with little kids would have gone through if an adult like was that stressed. Also be prepared to spend the whole day. Hopefully you all have better experience that I did last week. Nigeria, we hail thee..
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HollyMadison(f): 2:14pm On Nov 29, 2022
Hi Group,

I have £10k available for sale @935.

(1) (2) (3) ... (735) (736) (737) (738) (739) (740) (741) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.