Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,560 members, 7,823,474 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (739) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1185102 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (736) (737) (738) (739) (740) (741) (742) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Toshtos: 3:59pm On Nov 29, 2022
mintyx:
Hi everyone!

I recently got a Hisense smart tv hoping to watch the world cup with it.

There are lots of apps on the VIDAA store to watch movies and other live tv but none is showing live matches. There's even no app with a subscription option to watch live sports.

I have read about IPTV here. Please who can put me through on how to go about it please �

Please can you recommend where to get hisense smart tv
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 5:11pm On Nov 29, 2022
mizGene:

I'm liking this. This is a strategy I recently decided to adopt - I mean the job changing.
I am naturally very "loyal" and also not necessarily motivated by money, I have taken pay cuts to be in a role that I prefered... If I enjoy my work and I like the culture and I'm respected, then I can stay put for a long while in one company.

Recently I got a new manager at work and the dude who at the point knew little about the work/product started questioning my work and made some very unjustified disparaging remarks...I was quite shocked. I always put in my best and never in my whole life has my output been unsatisfactory. I just imagined that this human can wake up and give me a bad performance review and I'll be asked to leave., this is how they will stain my white .. undecided

That weekend, I edited my CV (and kept updating/tweaking it almost weekly ) and started some courses I had been procrastinating. Within a month I had a number of interviews scheduled and accepted an offer (Lesson here for me is that once you have that UK experience you lacked initially, you will become more appealing in the market, so for those saying sponsorship limits you to one employer...I say only if you let it)

Also I quietly quit - I never take my laptop home again....I used to come in up to 30mins before official time and stay late to finish up sometimes....now I walk in like other ppl by 9 or 9.15 sef and 4.50pm I pack my bag...no time tongue
I have never called in sick...I plan to be sick next week or upper, afterall everyone is coughing amd sneezing lipsrsealed

I realised that I achieved a lot in 6 weeks because I was angry, now I want that to be my default status - always "angry" and looking for the next best thing and putting needs first.

If I may ask, why did you move to a lower band?

This right here is the key to success in this country grin Na anger for having to queue to view a yeye flat to rent and still get turned down by the landlord that pushed me to buy my first home in this country.

17 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 8:24pm On Nov 29, 2022
Strata1716:
Good morning everyone, thank you for always helping out. Please I will love to seek advise on something important.

A friend of mine currently stay in a 4bedflat with a mum and 2 kids, she babysits one of the kid with special needs in exchange for paying rent so she only pays bills and not rent, she signed a six month term agreement with the mum and for two months has been living there and doing the babysitting.

On the 26th of this month the woman asked her to leave on the 23rd of December saying that my frequent isn’t communal and she needs someone that engages and don’t stay in the room all the time, truthfully my friend is the type of person that keeps to herself and mind her business but my friend is currently doing her masters and working so she tends to be tired and busy a lot and she’s not the extroverted type.

My friend was shocked and in tears called me to ask if the woman can ask her to leave even though there is still 4 months left on their agreement, I thought to ask people here who are more experienced and will be able to help.

Please I’ll be really grateful if I can get answers because my friend has been really down and unhappy.

This seems like a boarder/ flatmate agreement. It falls completely outside tenancy rules and regulations. Plus she is not paying rent at all so the home owner is within their rights to ask them to leave anytime. When we used to have boarders, our standard notice was 7 days but it can be as short as 24 hours if we felt it was necessary ie person turns aggressive. Police will also attend and remove if called especially as there are children there.

To be honest, rent is one of the biggest expenses for anyone in the UK. If someone has offered you a rent free space for interaction, you'd better be showing up and providing that interaction that you signed up for!

14 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 8:52pm On Nov 29, 2022
Gemma11:

I am not familiar with visa rules but those on Student visas don't pay tax or council tax on their 20 hour per week earnings. Their partners may if they work but they are already getting free school and other amenities for their kids. Plus partners of those on student visas also don't pay council tax.

In any case it is the law of the land and it needs to be respected.

Lol. it’s respected cos we can’t do anything about it. It’s just somehow. my take is actually focused on PSW n other working type of visa that allows you to work full time and pay the 20% n above tax range. Also no be everybody get pikin. It’s just somehow. I think the minute you get a full time job and start to contribute to tax paying, then you should qualify for public fund.

Even if it’s to put a minimum pay, n say maybe £50k and above or something. Someone earning £50k is already contributing a minimum of £20k on tax. It’s funny that person can’t get access to public fund (if he/she has no IRL).
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 9:08pm On Nov 29, 2022
jadepinkett:

20% is even fair. What about those on the 40% tax bracket? Questions really do arise

My sister the thing de one kind I no go lie.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 10:18pm On Nov 29, 2022
Goodly1:

Your comment's got me laughing!grin I like this!
How can one plan to be sick, by praying for it? LoL...grin
cheesy cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 10:22pm On Nov 29, 2022
British citizens earning 30k plus will get next to nothing from the government. I believe the only thing you will have access to once you start earning up to 50k is 30hrs free childcare if both parents are working. It's mostly low earners, people with disability and single mothers that get public fund.
Chreze:

Lol. it’s respected cos we can’t do anything about it. It’s just somehow. my take is actually focused on PSW n other working type of visa that allows you to work full time and pay the 20% n above tax range. Also no be everybody get pikin. It’s just somehow. I think the minute you get a full time job and start to contribute to tax paying, then you should qualify for public fund.

[b]Even if it’s to put a minimum pay, n say maybe £50k and above or something. Someone earning £50k is already contributing a minimum of £20k on tax. [/b]It’s funny that person can’t get access to public fund (if he/she has no IRL).
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 11:28pm On Nov 29, 2022
Chreze:

Even if it’s to put a minimum pay, n say maybe £50k and above or something. Someone earning £50k is already contributing a minimum of £20k on tax. It’s funny that person can’t get access to public fund (if he/she has no IRL).

I think you're misunderstanding what
public funds are for. It's not a reward or cash back for paying tax, but to support those unable to work or on very low incomes. An individual in receipt of public funds can be regarded by the govt as a burden on the public purse. And immigrants are expected to be self sufficient and not constitute an additional burden to the state because there simply isn't enough money in the coffers to support everyone living in the UK.

Like dupsy said, many British citizens do not even qualify for public funds as they earn over the income threshold.

However there are non public benefits that you should have access to since you are working.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 11:37pm On Nov 29, 2022
jedisco:

This is the best time to migrate. Also, the current post-Brexit climate is relatively favorable for African migrants.
She has no student loans, she has the time and energy to put in hours + build a career. If she takes her opportunities well, 10 yrs down the line, this move should prove hugely rewarding.

Well said....
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 11:46pm On Nov 29, 2022
Ralphlauren:

This right here is the key to success in this country grin Na anger for having to queue to view a yeye flat to rent and still get turned down by the landlord that pushed me to buy my first home in this country.
You see?! cheesy

I have learnt my lesson smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by claremont(m): 12:09am On Nov 30, 2022
Kaycee54321:
Hello all.

My kid sis is looking at an offer of 29K for a job in Leeds. It'll be her first time leaving the country. Please, is that livable income in that area of the country?

I know even God cannot change her mind about leaving Naija but I just need to know if she's going to continue to need occasional financial help...

She was on 120K in Naija.

She can use it as a starting point to come to the UK. However, 37.5 X 52 = 1950. 29,000/1950 = £14.9/hour. Leeds is an expensive city to live in, it's the Manchester of the NE. When you factor in rent, council tax and energy bills, that's at least a third of the salary gone.

The cost of a bedsit in Leeds would get a 1/2 bed flat in Wakefield, Bradford etc or any of the cities close by, and commute to Leeds to save cost.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 12:21am On Nov 30, 2022
Zahra29:

public funds are for. It's not a reward or cash back for paying tax, but to support those unable to work or on very low incomes. An individual in receipt of public funds can be regarded by the govt as a burden on the public purse. And immigrants are expected to be self sufficient and not constitute an additional burden to the state because there simply isn't enough money in the coffers to support everyone living in the UK.

Like dupsy said, many British citizens do not even qualify for public funds as they earn over the income threshold.

However there are non public benefits that you should have access to since you are working.
This!! Public funds are pretty much a charity case. We shouldn’t be dragging these benefits with the people who really need the support. I understand that paying a large percentage of one’s salary in taxes isn’t ideal, but unlike the "giant of Africa," we can actually see how the money is spent.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Kaycee54321(m): 1:12am On Nov 30, 2022
claremont:

She can use it as a starting point to come to the UK. However, 37.5 X 52 = 1950. 29,000/1950 = £14.9/hour. Leeds is an expensive city to live in, it's the Manchester of the NE. When you factor in rent, council tax and energy bills, that's at least a third of the salary gone.

The cost of a bedsit in Leeds would get a 1/2 bed flat in Wakefield, Bradford etc or any of the cities close by, and commute to Leeds to save cost.

Thanks. At least I'm happy to hear that the take-home can at least, take her home. Starting from somewhere isn't bad.

Thanks again for the bolded.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 2:02am On Nov 30, 2022
Toshtos:

Please can you recommend where to get hisense smart tv

Argos, currys, ebay, amazon
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 4:21am On Nov 30, 2022
Zahra29:

True. I think na d tax de pain indirectly grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ProfJYK(m): 4:36am On Nov 30, 2022
Amarathripple0:

This!! Public funds are pretty much a charity case. We shouldn’t be dragging these benefits with the people who really need the support. I understand that paying a large percentage of one’s salary in taxes isn’t ideal, but unlike the "giant of Africa," we can actually see how the money is spent.

Valid points you guys have there.

My own issue with the PF thing is the potential for it to spoil ones plans over time of one inadvertently accesses it.

Things that look like it is dangled everywhere. It is tiring to always have to analyse and come to Nairaland to repeatedly seek clarification on the same thing.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 4:53am On Nov 30, 2022
Amarathripple0:

My take is there are some things that should be classified as “rebate”, but it will be pushed to public fund conversation. I remember when my son was in private nursery, the head teacher was trying to explain one thing like that to get some amount back for this n that, to be honest I didn’t even listen cos the first thing that came to my head when she started explaining was “later when I check, I will see something like for low earners”. We can all agree that “private nursery fee + rent” is a dip in family income.

I think things like that shouldn’t be for people earning below 30k or so alone, cos even people earning 50k after removing “TAX + Rent + Nursery (<3)”, also feel a dip. Before you know it, couples earning £62k in total will start to struggle if they don’t have other sources of income.

I won’t be surprised if this contributes to reasons why some citizens don’t want to work (or work full time), cos they feel government cut big chunk from their pay and are excluded from some benefits. Instead, just sit at home or work less hours so you don’t get up to the threshold, then get the benefit.

PS : I am saying this so that when one of us takes on those offices that controls/contributes to these rules/law, they can also see that some of us feel this pain. It is not disrespecting the law or promoting laziness/greed.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by sammydoe: 6:39am On Nov 30, 2022
Single room available for single person in SE London lose to elephant and castle. Pm for more details thanks smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Strata1716: 7:46am On Nov 30, 2022
Ticha:

This seems like a boarder/ flatmate agreement. It falls completely outside tenancy rules and regulations. Plus she is not paying rent at all so the home owner is within their rights to ask them to leave anytime. When we used to have boarders, our standard notice was 7 days but it can be as short as 24 hours if we felt it was necessary ie person turns aggressive. Police will also attend and remove if called especially as there are children there.

To be honest, rent is one of the biggest expenses for anyone in the UK. If someone has offered you a rent free space for interaction, you'd better be showing up and providing that interaction that you signed up for!

Thank you so much for your response, The person didn’t offer rent for interaction, they offered rent in exchange for my friends time to babysit her kid which my friend has always done without any complaint.

They both signed an agreement for a six months fixed term, from what I saw online if it’s is a periodic term(no fixed term) then a landlord can ask the lodger to leave at anytime if it is not a periodic term and it is a fixed term then a landlord cannot ask the person to leave until the fixed term had been serve; this also applies to lodgers.

Please are you saying the above is wrong ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 8:02am On Nov 30, 2022
Ticha:

Not correct, very respectfully.

She is paying bills AND caring for a child. That is monetary contribution PLUS services. Both serve as adequate consideration and therefore form a contract between the landlord and her. It doesn't matter whether the money was strictly tagged as rent or not - the contributions mean she wasn't a boarder in the sense of someone being helped and capable of being sent away at will.

Also, she didn't say she wasn't caring for the child - apparently, she was, but the landlady wanted additional interaction. Whether that's fair or not is up in the air but it's certainly not the case that she didn't do what she signed up for.

She needs to speak to Shelter ASAP, anyway.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 8:13am On Nov 30, 2022
Strata1716:

Thank you so much for your response, The person didn’t offer rent for interaction, they offered rent in exchange for my friends time to babysit her kid which my friend has always done without any complaint.

They both signed an agreement for a six months fixed term, from what I saw online if it’s is a periodic term(no fixed term) then a landlord can ask the lodger to leave at anytime if it is not a periodic term and it is a fixed term then a landlord cannot ask the person to leave until the fixed term had been serve; this also applies to lodgers.

Please are you saying the above is wrong ?

https://www.gov.uk/rent-room-in-your-home/your-lodgers-tenancy-type

See where it says reasonable notice? It's just that. What is reasonable to the home owner. Like I wrote earlier, if for any reason the home owner also calls the police be that out of malice or otherwise (which we cannot discount), your friend will be removed immediately. Also if no money is changing hands ie she's not actually paying rent but providing services for accommodation, then she is an excluded tenant as well so can be asked to leave without notice.

Her only recourse will be if they have a written contract that says otherwise ie states a specific notice period. However, your friend will have to take her to court to enforce that and where will she stay in the meantime?

It's easy to say she should fight and stay. How is she going to share a house, lounge, bathroom and kitchen with someone who does not want her there? That relationship is going to go south very, very quickly.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 8:17am On Nov 30, 2022
koonbey:

Not correct, very respectfully.

She is paying bills AND caring for a child. That is monetary contribution PLUS services. Both serve as adequate consideration and therefore form a contract between the landlord and her. It doesn't matter whether the money was strictly tagged as rent or not - the contributions mean she wasn't a boarder in the sense of someone being helped and capable of being sent away at will.

Also, she didn't say she wasn't caring for the child - apparently, she was, but the landlady wanted additional interaction. Whether that's fair or not is up in the air but it's certainly not the case that she didn't do what she signed up for.

She needs to speak to Shelter ASAP, anyway.

Ok oh.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Strata1716: 8:23am On Nov 30, 2022
Ticha:

https://www.gov.uk/rent-room-in-your-home/your-lodgers-tenancy-type

See where it says reasonable notice? It's just that. What is reasonable to the home owner. Like I wrote earlier, if for any reason the home owner also calls the police be that out of malice or otherwise (which we cannot discount), your friend will be removed immediately. Also if no money is changing hands ie she's not actually paying rent but providing services for accommodation, then she is an excluded tenant as well so can be asked to leave without notice.

Her only recourse will be if they have a written contract that says otherwise ie states a specific notice period. However, your friend will have to take her to court to enforce that and where will she stay in the meantime?

It's easy to say she should fight and stay. How is she going to share a house, lounge, bathroom and kitchen with someone who does not want her there? That relationship is going to go south very, very quickly.

Thanks Ticha for providing additional information, from the website it says a fixed term and periodic term so does this mean that regardless of the fact that they signed an agreement which grants my friend a fixed term of 6 months it doesn’t matter and my friend can be kicked out regardless?

Just trying to clarify so I know how best to advise her.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 8:35am On Nov 30, 2022
Strata1716:

Thanks Ticha for providing additional information, from the website it says a fixed term and periodic term so does this mean that regardless of the fact that they signed an agreement which grants my friend a fixed term of 6 months it doesn’t matter and my friend can be kicked out regardless?

Just trying to clarify so I know how best to advise her.

More or less yes because she's an excluded tenant unless her contract states otherwise ie gives a specific notice period then that notice period it is. And even with that, she has to take the home owner to court to honour the contract. Court fees alone is about £300 and it can take months (upto 8 weeks) to get a date
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 8:56am On Nov 30, 2022
Chreze:

When you eventually get ILR and citizenship, you will soon realise that you still won’t get any benefit from the government as it’s all means tested. The more you earn the less likely you are to be eligible for any benefits including the straightforward ones like child benefit.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Focus99: 9:33am On Nov 30, 2022
Please ooooh my naija family a friend of mine in the UK on a tier 4 visa wants to switch to a tier 2 visa. If you know any care home that can help him switch for free or for some amount please do help. The amount these naija agents are calling is too outrageous, £8000-£10000
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 9:38am On Nov 30, 2022
Chreze:

My take is there are some things that should be classified as “rebate”, but it will be pushed to public fund conversation. I remember when my son was in private nursery, the head teacher was trying to explain one thing like that to get some amount back for this n that, to be honest I didn’t even listen cos the first thing that came to my head when she started explaining was “later when I check, I will see something like for low earners”. We can all agree that “private nursery fee + rent” is a dip in family income.

I think things like that shouldn’t be for people earning below 30k or so alone, cos even people earning 50k after removing “TAX + Rent + Nursery (<3)”, also feel a dip. Before you know it, couples earning £62k in total will start to struggle if they don’t have other sources of income.

I won’t be surprised if this contributes to reasons why some citizens don’t want to work (or work full time), cos they feel government cut big chunk from their pay and are excluded from some benefits. Instead, just sit at home or work less hours so you don’t get up to the threshold, then get the benefit.

PS : I am saying this so that when one of us takes on those offices that controls/contributes to these rules/law, they can also see that some of us feel this pain. It is not disrespecting the law or promoting laziness/greed.
I doubt it’ll ever get to this though!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 9:40am On Nov 30, 2022
Focus99:
Please ooooh my naija family a friend of mine in the UK on a tier 4 visa wants to switch to a tier 2 visa. If you know any care home that can help him switch for free or for some amount please do help. The amount these naija agents are calling is too outrageous, £8000-£10000
There are A LOT of care jobs online offering tier 2 sponsorship. Your friend should utilise google and stop looking to pay for things that are easily accessible please smiley

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 9:42am On Nov 30, 2022
ProfJYK:

Valid points you guys have there.

My own issue with the PF thing is the potential for it to spoil ones plans over time of one inadvertently accesses it.

Things that look like it is dangled everywhere. It is tiring to always have to analyse and come to Nairaland to repeatedly seek clarification on the same thing.
Yea, I understand that this is annoying as there’s not enough clarity with a lot of these benefits. My take is this, send a mail, do some research. If it smells like public funds, then it probably is.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 10:30am On Nov 30, 2022
Focus99:

I don't know any personally but everywhere on the streets where I am (Devon) there are adverts for care/support workers. I think all your friend needs to do is walk into some of those offices and ask them frontally if they are offering sponsorship, because like others have said, they are all certainly hiring. By the time they enter like five or six or 10, I'm sure the sponsorship will be set.

Someone already in the UK should not struggle to find care work with sponsorship from what little I know.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 10:56am On Nov 30, 2022
koonbey:

I don't know any personally but everywhere on the streets where I am (Devon) there are adverts for care/support workers. I think all your friend needs to do is walk into some of those offices and ask them frontally if they are offering sponsorship, because like others have said, they are all certainly hiring. By the time they enter like five or six or 10, I'm sure the sponsorship will be set.

Someone already in the UK should not struggle to find care work with sponsorship from what little I know.
I find it weird that someone already in the UK is speaking to agencies in Nigeria to get them a job in the UK. Maybe it’s the whole short cut mentality. Anyway good advise, you are definitely better than me cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gloriouscrown: 11:12am On Nov 30, 2022
mimilyrics:
I don't think so going by the information on gov.uk. Link below. The jobs that can be sponsored as band 4 and below do not include admin jobs except the pay is above 25,600. Getting above 25,600 as a band 4 admin means that the person is at the top pay point which is usually attainable only after some years within the NHS.
Also, someone on a student visa who got a job of less than £25,600 will only be sponsored if they quote the attached screenshot as many NHS recruiting managers will not sponsor except you are able to provide proof from the gov.uk site. Not many people get to the stage where they are able to show that.
NHS Payscales: https://www.nhsemployers.org/articles/pay-scales-202223
[b]Information on eligible sponsored professions inclusive of Bands 3 and 4

Hi Mimi, someone I know got an offer with a particular trust, band 2 but 10.10£ per hour. He tried to ask for sponsorship but the Hr said they don't sponsor unless his line manager endorses him. He is yet to start the job but his tier 4 visa expires mid next year. He is keen on this job because it's a stone throw to his accommodation and he is not planning on moving anywhere else for now. Any advice regarding sponsorship?

Cc rayralph, everyone with any pointers.

Thank you

(1) (2) (3) ... (736) (737) (738) (739) (740) (741) (742) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.