Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,292 members, 7,818,990 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:37 AM

Ambassador Robin Renee Sanders On BRF And Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ambassador Robin Renee Sanders On BRF And Nigeria (927 Views)

Prof. Wole Soyinka On BRF / BRF And Amaechi Visits Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka At His Residence / Top 10 'dodgy' Contracts Awarded Under Brf In Lagos State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ambassador Robin Renee Sanders On BRF And Nigeria by ektbear: 9:45pm On May 20, 2011
I had the honor of personally co-hosting a luncheon on May 16, 2011 for the newly re-elected governor of Lagos State, Babatunde Fashola (SAN) at the Army-Navy Club in Washington, D.C. in conjunction with the Constituency for Africa -- one of the leading U.S. advocacy organization focused on Africa. As I introduced the governor, I underscored the extraordinary commitment, dedication and vision of this extraordinary leader. The luncheon event was attended by 50 key civil society, academic and private sector representatives interested in hearing the Governor's vision for one of Nigeria's most important states -- Lagos -- where the capital city of the same name (Lagos) heralds a population of 18 million.

Winning re-election with 82 percent of the vote, Fashola told the assembled crowd that his vision for the next four years for his state focused on infrastructure development, particularly in mass transport (rail, bus, ferries), the housing and agricultural sectors, as well as on educational and training programs for youth. I have seen personally the transformation of Lagos from 2007-2010 during the time that I lived in Nigeria as a result of Fashola's leadership and I have no doubt that during the next four years he will continue to move the country's commercial capital forward.

Noting to the crowd "the importance of coming and seeing Nigeria first-hand," he told the U.S. group that they could not understand and invest in Nigeria unless they actually came to the country to appreciate the array of investment opportunities there.

In response to a question on the recent Nigerian elections where 22 million of Nigeria's 74 million registered voters participated in the April 2011 voting, Fashola acknowledged the irregularities in some polling places which he said needed to be addressed. He also stressed his concern about the violence that occured, but he added that the outcome of the election was credible and gave high points to President-elect Jonathan for "working the hardest" during the campaign and trying to reach out to Nigerians all across the country.

In my view, the key now will be the next steps for the country, particularly efforts to address key social sector issues for Nigeria's nearly 64 million youth, and addressing the underlying causes of the violence (need for education, training, better health care, and job opportunities) in the country's north, where according to Human Rights Watch nearly 800 people reportedly lost their lives.

Most Africa watchers recognize the enormous and limitless potential of Nigeria to expand its global and economic leadership, but more needs to be done to address social sector issues. The extraordinary vision, dedication and commitment by extraordinary individuals such as the results-oriented Governor Fashola of Lagos gives us all hope!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/amb-robin-renee-sanders/nigerias-lagos-governor-f_1_b_864550.html
Re: Ambassador Robin Renee Sanders On BRF And Nigeria by ektbear: 9:49pm On May 20, 2011

The extraordinary vision, dedication and commitment by extraordinary individuals such as the results-oriented Governor Fashola of Lagos gives us all hope!

Well said. May Nigeria and Africa have more such leaders.
Re: Ambassador Robin Renee Sanders On BRF And Nigeria by ektbear: 10:43pm On May 20, 2011
I'm also curious to see what additional investments Lagos'll be able to drum up from this.

ekt_bear:

The luncheon event was attended by 50 key civil society, academic and private sector representatives interested in hearing the Governor's vision for one of Nigeria's most important states -- Lagos -- where the capital city of the same name (Lagos) heralds a population of 18 million.

I wonder what this list of 50 invitees looks like.
Re: Ambassador Robin Renee Sanders On BRF And Nigeria by Mynd44: 5:52am On May 21, 2011
This Fashola guy just keeps getting those accolades no Nigerian Governor can even dream of
Re: Ambassador Robin Renee Sanders On BRF And Nigeria by OAM4J: 5:58am On May 21, 2011
good one!
Re: Ambassador Robin Renee Sanders On BRF And Nigeria by zstranger: 7:09am On May 21, 2011
I am more interested in what Wikileak would reveal in five years time
Re: Ambassador Robin Renee Sanders On BRF And Nigeria by enyojo(f): 8:52am On May 21, 2011
zstranger:

I am more interested in what Wikileak would reveal in five years time

Must you remain a Stranger in ur Fatherland?
Was Fashola not a Governor when GEJ was secretly kneeling before this same Sanders confessing that he lacks the capabilities of a Leader?
Was Sanders not based in Lagos where Fashola is based when Bank'Ole came to her secretly to confess that Yar'adua bribed Supreme Court not to sack him?

In all these, Wikileaks reported but there was no single report that indicted Fashola for anything. So stop anticipating 100 years report on Fashola
Re: Ambassador Robin Renee Sanders On BRF And Nigeria by ektbear: 3:08pm On May 21, 2011
zstranger is one of those bad belle people undecided

(1) (Reply)

Abia State Governor, T. A. Orji In A Second Term "BONDAGE" / What Do You Think Make(s) Nigeria Tick? / Ramadan Bonus!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.