Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,843 members, 7,831,729 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

Who Really Owns The Benin Bronzes? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Really Owns The Benin Bronzes? (14180 Views)

Who Owns The Oba Title / The Benin- Ife Myth Shouldn't Be Circulated Again Ever Again / The Fall And Rise Of The Benin Empire: A Must Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Really Owns The Benin Bronzes? by OGUN622: 7:02pm On Sep 05, 2021
[img][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][center][right][left]
xpool:

[s]Truth is bitter, if you like call me any name you like.
BINI ALSO PLUNDERED OTHER TOWNS AND STOLE THEIR ARTEFACTS[/s]
If there is anything the Binis plundered and stole from her neighbours maybe slaves grin certainly not "Igun erowmon" provide proof not beer parlour talk Bini nor be your mate, many of us were taken care with proceeds from bronze casting, Igun street was recognized as a world heritage site because of this, Victor Uwaifo alongside with being a musician and a professor was also a bronze caster.

[b]uilds,a man must as a condition take up residence in the appropriate quarter.This
ensured easyaccessibility of the guildmembers for timely delivery of their products
to the Oba,while the irrespective locations became known centers for the purchase of
their products.A sixteen thcentury Dutch accounts confirmed the sales of ironwares
or goods in some markets and designated locations in Benin(T.Hodgkin,1960,pp.
121-122).
Each of the craft guilds had a council–‘the guild council’-which was
responsible for the internal administration of the guild and by extension,the quarters
or streets which they lived.The council consisted of the titledholders if any,and
elders(edion).The titleholders were appointed by the Oba within their guilds and the
most senior of them presided over the council.However,where there were no title
holders,the council was composed mainly of the elders(edion)within the guild and
the most senior of the elders(Odionwere)presided.The council took charge of the
daytoday administration of the guilds and the quarters in which they resided.In
more specific terms,the councilwas responsible for the settling of disputes between
families in the guild and had power to try all disputes and cases except those dealing
with witchcraft and homicide which were referred to the Oba’scourt.The method of
trial of cases was by ordeal and for witchcraft the ordeal had to be administered by
the witchdiviners’guilds(ivbiawoandewaise).Inaddition,the councils collected
titlefees from their members and stipulated tributes from their wards or streets for the
Oba.It also organized labour for publicworks,mobilized men from their quarters for
war at the command of the Oba and made laws for the peace and order within their
own guilds and wards.According to Igbafe,
Since the guild councils were responsible for the internal
administration of the guilds and hence the quarters and since the
quarters represented units of administration with in Benin Kingdom,it
can therefore,be argued that the guilds were administrative units in
precolonial Benin(1982,p.20).
This relieved the Oba of the stress of ward administration in Benin.
It has earlier been stated that the guilds’activities covered every aspects of
the Oba’sneeds.As a result the various guilds were associated with each of the three
palace societies:Iwebo,Iweguae and Ibiwe(seetable) that was responsible for every
aspects of the Oba’shousehold.This arrangement was that“since each of the palace
societies took charge of the Oba’shousehold, and each of the guilds performed
special obligations to the Oba, inconsequence, the guilds were affiliated to either of
the palace societies according to the nature of their services”(P.A.Igbafe,1980,
p.27).For example,since the iwebo palace society took charge of the Oba’sregalia,
by relevance,all guilds whose products or activities traditionally fit in to the Oba’s
regalia were affiliated to the society.In this regard the guilds of ivory and wood[/b]

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Who Really Owns The Benin Bronzes? by xpool(m): 5:26am On Sep 06, 2021
OGUN622:
[img][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][center][right][left]If there is anything the Binis plundered and stole from her neighbours maybe slaves grin certainly not "Igun erowmon" provide proof not beer parlour talk Bini nor be your mate, many of us were taken care with proceeds from bronze casting, Igun street was recognized as a world heritage site because of this, Victor Uwaifo alongside with being a musician and a professor was also a bronze caster.

[b]uilds,a man must as a condition take up residence in the appropriate quarter.This
ensured easyaccessibility of the guildmembers for timely delivery of their products
to the Oba,while the irrespective locations became known centers for the purchase of
their products.A sixteen thcentury Dutch accounts confirmed the sales of ironwares
or goods in some markets and designated locations in Benin(T.Hodgkin,1960,pp.
121-122).
Each of the craft guilds had a council–‘the guild council’-which was
responsible for the internal administration of the guild and by extension,the quarters
or streets which they lived.The council consisted of the titledholders if any,and
elders(edion).The titleholders were appointed by the Oba within their guilds and the
most senior of them presided over the council.However,where there were no title
holders,the council was composed mainly of the elders(edion)within the guild and
the most senior of the elders(Odionwere)presided.The council took charge of the
daytoday administration of the guilds and the quarters in which they resided.In
more specific terms,the councilwas responsible for the settling of disputes between
families in the guild and had power to try all disputes and cases except those dealing
with witchcraft and homicide which were referred to the Oba’scourt.The method of
trial of cases was by ordeal and for witchcraft the ordeal had to be administered by
the witchdiviners’guilds(ivbiawoandewaise).Inaddition,the councils collected
titlefees from their members and stipulated tributes from their wards or streets for the
Oba.It also organized labour for publicworks,mobilized men from their quarters for
war at the command of the Oba and made laws for the peace and order within their
own guilds and wards.According to Igbafe,
Since the guild councils were responsible for the internal
administration of the guilds and hence the quarters and since the
quarters represented units of administration with in Benin Kingdom,it
can therefore,be argued that the guilds were administrative units in
precolonial Benin(1982,p.20).
This relieved the Oba of the stress of ward administration in Benin.
It has earlier been stated that the guilds’activities covered every aspects of
the Oba’sneeds.As a result the various guilds were associated with each of the three
palace societies:Iwebo,Iweguae and Ibiwe(seetable) that was responsible for every
aspects of the Oba’shousehold.This arrangement was that“since each of the palace
societies took charge of the Oba’shousehold, and each of the guilds performed
special obligations to the Oba, inconsequence, the guilds were affiliated to either of
the palace societies according to the nature of their services”(P.A.Igbafe,1980,
p.27).For example,since the iwebo palace society took charge of the Oba’sregalia,
by relevance,all guilds whose products or activities traditionally fit in to the Oba’s
regalia were affiliated to the society.In this regard the guilds of ivory and wood[/b]

Yes, Bini no be my mate.
And Britain no be Bini mate, everybody get him power everywhere. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.
No wars fought without booties gained, Bini fought local tribal wars and stole lots of war booties which are parts of the so called Bini artefacts.
It is a simple truth staring at everyone, if you like remain in denial.
That aside, the colonialists plundered binis and their neighbors and all booties plundered, for convenience and the popularity of Bini then, were all attributed to Bini.
You are fanatically shallow, think out of your obsession with Benin.
Re: Who Really Owns The Benin Bronzes? by OGUN622: 7:51am On Sep 06, 2021
xpool:

Yes, Bini no be my mate.
And Britain no be Bini mate, everybody get him power everywhere. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.
No wars fought without booties gained, Bini fought local tribal wars and stole lots of war booties which are parts of the so called Bini artefacts.
It is a simple truth staring at everyone, if you like remain in denial.
That aside, the colonialists plundered binis and their neighbors and all booties plundered, for convenience and the popularity of Bini then, were all attributed to Bini.
You are fanatically shallow, think out of your obsession with Benin.
Provide book proof, you don't just say such things without a back up proof, provide an excerpt else it will be regarded as palm wine joint talk. I have provided proof that this was made in Benin and still made in large quantity at different quarters in Igun street. People grow up in Benin and take up career in Bronze casting, as I have said before if there is anything the Binis took, from her neighbours, it is not Bronze plaques, it is our heritage, many of our school fees were paid with this. There is no tribe today that resonate Bronze than Benin that her quarters was regarded as UNESCO world heritage site, that Wilder that traces his origin to Benin started going with the tag Bronze bomber. My brother if you nor get proof stop quoting me make Ogun nor kill you.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Really Owns The Benin Bronzes? by xpool(m): 9:06am On Sep 06, 2021
OGUN622:
Provide book proof, you don't just say such things without a back up proof, provide an excerpt else it will be regarded as palm wine joint talk. I have provided proof that this was made in Benin and still made in large quantity at different quarters in Igun street. People grow up in Benin and take up career in Bronze casting, as I have said before if there is anything the Binis took, from her neighbours, it is not Bronze plaques, it is our heritage, many of our school fees were paid with this. There is no tribe today that resonate Bronze than Benin that her quarters was regarded as UNESCO world heritage site, that Wilder that traces his origin to Benin started going with the tag Bronze bomber. My brother if you nor get proof stop quoting me make Ogun nor kill you.

You are not worth it.
Why the ogun curse?
The same ogun that has ravaged your youths and still ravaging daily?
Bini stole artefacts from conquered neighbors, if you like get high on palmwine and masturbate on ogun
Re: Who Really Owns The Benin Bronzes? by OGUN622: 9:33am On Sep 06, 2021
xpool:

You are not worth it.
Why the ogun curse?
Bini stole artefacts from conquered neighbors, if you like get high on palmwine and masturbate on ogun
[b]I am glad you know your Ignorance and emotions will not pass of as truth. You are angry and I know why you are angry because your people could not muster anything great historically, you are angry because your people could not defend themselves when Bini came for slaves, you are angry because the migration of Binis into Anioma is much that your people have heavy Igbo denial there, you are angry because culturally you have Bini all over you. You can't stomache how a minority tribe could have so much influence over you culturally and even in your linguistics which has been bastardized. I know you will heal son you will heal.

Let me quote another excerpt for you
SPEECH DELIVERED BY UKU-AKPOLOKPOLO OMO N'OBA N'EDO, THE OBA OF BENIN AT THE EXHIBITION OF THE LOST TREASURES OF ANCIENT BENIN ON THURSDAY, 29TH APRIL,1982. FOURTH PARAGRAPH

"I want to seize this occasion to appeal to the National commission and the federal government that is responsible for purchasing these works of art to allow themselves to be constantly reminded that the home of these works of art are not in lagos, but here in Benin City and elsewhere. While we cannot press for our own to be returned to the Benin Royal Palace, we would nevertheless, feel delighted if I, the head of the Royal family are made to feel that those in authority in Lagos are aware of this fact.

I AM MAKING THIS POINT BECAUSE I RECALL TO MIND THE SEARCH THAT THE ORGANIZERS OF FESTAC EMBARKED UPON TO SECURE A FESTAC MASK. WITH ALL THE HISTORIANS IN THE DEPARTMENT OF ANTIQUITIES IT NEVER OCCURED TO ANYONE THERE TO COME TO BENIN TO ENQUIRE WHETHER A SIMILAR MASK WAS STILL AVAILABLE OR WHETHER THERE WAS ANYONE WHO COULD REPRODUCE IT. THANKS TO OUR BROTHER, OBI OSEMENE OF ISSELE-UKU, WHO HAD TO REMIND OFFICIALS OF THAT DEPARTMENT THAT THE SOLUTION TO THEIR SEARCH LAY IN THE PALACE OF THE OBA OF BENIN" even your obi is aware Benin is boss. Go and cry in your father's presence why your ancestors are useless and don't have anything noteworthy to their name not nairaland
[/b]
Re: Who Really Owns The Benin Bronzes? by OGUN622: 9:36am On Sep 06, 2021
xpool:

You are not worth it.
Why the ogun curse?
[b]I am glad you know your Ignorance and emotions will not pass of as truth. You are angry and I know why you are angry because your people could not muster anything great historically, you are angry because your people could not defend themselves when Bini came for slaves, you are angry because the migration of Binis into Anioma is much that your people have heavy Igbo denial there, you are angry because culturally you have Bini all over you. You can't stomache how a minority tribe could have so much influence over you culturally and even in your linguistics which has been bastardized. I know you will heal son you will heal. You are baffled how a minority tribe could have produced all this greatness!

SPEECH DELIVERED BY UKU-AKPOLOKPOLO OMO N'OBA N'EDO, THE OBA OF BENIN AT THE EXHIBITION OF THE LOST TREASURES OF ANCIENT BENIN ON THURSDAY, 29TH APRIL,1982. FOURTH PARAGRAPH

"I want to seize this occasion to appeal to the National commission and the federal government that is responsible for purchasing these works of art to allow themselves to be constantly reminded that the home of these works of art are not in lagos, but here in Benin City and elsewhere. While we cannot press for our own to be returned to the Benin Royal Palace, we would nevertheless, feel delighted if I, the head of the Royal family are made to feel that those in authority in Lagos are aware of this fact.

I AM MAKING THIS POINT BECAUSE I RECALL TO MIND THE SEARCH THAT THE ORGANIZERS OF FESTAC EMBARKED UPON TO SECURE A FESTAC MASK. WITH ALL THE HISTORIANS IN THE DEPARTMENT OF ANTIQUITIES IT NEVER OCCURED TO ANYONE THERE TO COME TO BENIN TO ENQUIRE WHETHER A SIMILAR MASK WAS STILL AVAILABLE OR WHETHER THERE WAS ANYONE WHO COULD REPRODUCE IT. THANKS TO OUR BROTHER, OBI OSEMENE OF ISSELE-UKU, WHO HAD TO REMIND OFFICIALS OF THAT DEPARTMENT THAT THE SOLUTION TO THEIR SEARCH LAY IN THE PALACE OF THE OBA OF BENIN" even your obi is aware Benin is boss. Go and cry in your father's presence why your ancestors are useless and don't have anything noteworthy to their name not nairaland[/b]

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Who Really Owns The Benin Bronzes? by xpool(m): 7:12pm On Sep 06, 2021
OGUN622:
[b]I am glad you know your Ignorance and emotions will not pass of as truth. You are angry and I know why you are angry because your people could not muster anything great historically, you are angry because your people could not defend themselves when Bini came for slaves, you are angry because the migration of Binis into Anioma is much that your people have heavy Igbo denial there, you are angry because culturally you have Bini all over you. You can't stomache how a minority tribe could have so much influence over you culturally and even in your linguistics which has been bastardized. I know you will heal son you will heal. You are baffled how a minority tribe could have produced all this greatness!

I AM MAKING THIS POINT BECAUSE I RECALL TO MIND THE SEARCH THAT THE ORGANIZERS OF FESTAC EMBARKED UPON TO SECURE A FESTAC MASK. WITH ALL THE HISTORIANS IN THE DEPARTMENT OF ANTIQUITIES IT NEVER OCCURED TO ANYONE THERE TO COME TO BENIN TO ENQUIRE WHETHER A SIMILAR MASK WAS STILL AVAILABLE OR WHETHER THERE WAS ANYONE WHO COULD REPRODUCE IT. THANKS TO OUR BROTHER, OBI OSEMENE OF ISSELE-UKU, WHO HAD TO REMIND OFFICIALS OF THAT DEPARTMENT THAT THE SOLUTION TO THEIR SEARCH LAY IN THE PALACE OF THE OBA OF BENIN" even your obi is aware Benin is boss. Go and cry in your father's presence why your ancestors are useless and don't have anything noteworthy to their name not nairaland[/b]

You are angry and in tears because of this little truth that I slapped your great kingdom with.
Of course Bini has a great history wars, plundering and raping, but still ended up as slaves to the Europeans. Even your great oba became a fugitive with his tale between his laps like a common stray dog: so much for greatness!

But in your pathetic petty illness, you and your likes have forgotten that one of the attractions of wars are booties, and they are profits of wars won. Binis enjoyed such profits while their victories lasted.
...but how come the so great Binis are on their bellies, in tears prostrating to their conquerors begging like a kingless kingdom for war booties to be returned to them: what a shame! Sacrilege

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oriki Of All Towns In Ekiti State / Google In Igbo Language / White American Girl Speaking Yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.