Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,218 members, 7,842,579 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 10:42 AM

Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW (11374 Views)

From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move / Nigeria’s First 10MW Katsina Windfarm Nears Completion: Photos / Private Sector Alternative To NEPA: Aba Power Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by OAM4J: 4:30am On May 24, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Said what much? Elections are over . .  we are back to reality now and so my questions are not based on elections.

Am not talking of new projects o, am talking of ongoing projects, with different stages of completion.

Also the Eko Atlantic City, and Lekki FTZ  is designed to generate and distributes its own power.

Also the light rail.
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by Kobojunkie: 4:37am On May 24, 2011
OAM4J:

Am not talking of new projects o, am talking of ongoing projects, with different stages of completion.

Also the Eko Atlantic City, and Lekki FTZ  is designed to generate and distributes its own power.

Also the light rail.

My question was not of the SHINY PROJECTS in the state . . . if you notice, the post I responded to highlighted that this particular plant is to power PUBLIC FACILITIES.

You of all people should know by now that I am the last person to be interested in the many PPP that don't seem directed at aiding the people at this time.
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by EkoIle1: 4:50am On May 24, 2011
Sharon_f:

This is good but dont get unrealistic expectations of the project. It will provide power to -
2 hospitals
2 courts
the State house
some Street lights.

Be realistic

Obviously, we are so used to lousy treatment and services so it's easy to discount anything as nothing, even saving lives becomes trivial and negated as nothing.

We are very realistic per the fact that the 2 hospitals shall no longer be in darkness, no more darkness in the operating and delivery rooms, no more needless deaths caused by darkness, our main judiciary and symbol of justice shall stay bright and shining, no more darkness in our state house and symbol of statehood and from here, we start lighting up our streets.

Another 11 MW is providing our water works with uninterrupted power supply.

This is our realistic realities.

Unfortunately for you, the realistic reality is the fact that no  government in Nigeria can guarantee any hospital, building or street uninterrupted power supply, only the Lagos state government can right now.

Realistic enough for you?
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by Mariory(m): 4:52am On May 24, 2011
Kobojunkie:

You of all people should know by now that I am the last person to be interested in the many PPP that don't seem directed at aiding the people at this time.

Then what is the point of you being in this thread?
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by Kobojunkie: 4:57am On May 24, 2011
Mariory:

Then what is the point of you being in this thread?

na your papa property? lol
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by EkoIle1: 4:58am On May 24, 2011
ekt_bear:

I wish people would use their brains before posting.
Kindly explain to us what the practical difference between a "big generator" and power plant is (hint, there isn't any, really. Larger power plants are usually more efficient from a cost/W perspective. But ultimately if you can achieve competitive costs using a "big generator", then that is fine.)
It is only the transmission grid that is really centralized. So this is a red herring on your part.
Kindly explain to us how ensuring that hospitals have electricity 100% of the time rather than 35% of the time isn't people oriented.

I read that and couldn't help but chuckel.

It's crazy how some try so hard to sound negative, but they end up sounding dum.b and re.tarded
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by EkoIle1: 5:05am On May 24, 2011
Kobojunkie:

How much is all this going to cost the tax payer? And I hope there are EQUAL plans to have similar plants in other areas of the same state?

Not suprised you quoted one of the du.mb.est posts in the thread, you even topped it off with your own silliness.

Do you really it's the government's intention to confine this to just the areas an the article and not the rest of the state?
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by zstranger: 6:01am On May 24, 2011
make them start first

too much talk, me i no like

we were there when they said ENRON was the answer
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by apoti(m): 6:13am On May 24, 2011
Beaf:

Fashola is an excellent governor, but 10MW is not much more than a few big generators can produce. Its still a great move though, cos it can always be expanded.

A few big generators indeed

In the last 12 years, if the FG had produced 10MW per year in each of the 36 states, we would have a total of 4320MW by now
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by EkoIle1: 6:22am On May 24, 2011
zstranger:

make them start first

too much talk, me i no like

we were there when they said ENRON was the answer

Den fit give us back our ENRON, we should be able to light up half of the island with that
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by EkoIle1: 6:26am On May 24, 2011
apoti:

A few big generators indeed

In the last 12 years, if the FG had produced 10MW per year in each of the 36 states, we would have a total of 4320MW by now

Very well stated
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by tunde300us(m): 6:36am On May 24, 2011
A few big generator indeed  angry,do u know what it means to produce 1MW of electricity .u can actually plug it directly to ur laptop sef  grin
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by MMM2(m): 6:37am On May 24, 2011
d guy is trying 4 lag.
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by blacksta(m): 6:46am On May 24, 2011
Only a mad person whose mother is a goat will condemn this great feat .  Which part of Nigeria can boast of 24hours of stable electricity ( Apart from private plant projects).  All thESE GEJ/PDP apologist  - i dont blame you -  Your Expectations has been eroded for the last 12 years to level of non appreciation of good things ANYWAY  you have clearly stated that GEJ/PDP is your messiah leading to the land of abyss.
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by ektbear: 6:47am On May 24, 2011
Yeah I thought they require that the electricity produced by the AES/Enron barges be sent to the national grid, rather than used locally?

Not really Lagos State's fault that OBJ sabotaged it

EDIT: See this: http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/pioneering-role-of-lagos-in-power-projects/75222/

If the FG hadn't sabotaged it, Lagos would have had improved power supply since 2003 or so. Instead they took the electricity generated by AES w/o increasing the supply to Lagos. Which defeats the whole point of Lagos's effort
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by dasa: 7:47am On May 24, 2011
kudos to fashola for the effort. let the states contribute too.
Rivers state already generates 150mw, but phcn dosent even have the capacity to evacute and distribute all. So they only distribute about half of it. FG should also work on transmission capapbility.
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by ufumes(m): 8:21am On May 24, 2011
It's a good development.
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by OWOLAYEMO: 8:45am On May 24, 2011
Defintely a good move in the right direction. Rather than tackling the power problems as a whole,it may actually be more realistic if this problem is been tackled on regional basis and thereafter the whole country could be integrated.

A few houses,streets,hospitals well lighted may just be the panachea to national lighting. Truly,BRF is "doing" WELL.
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by hollandis(f): 9:00am On May 24, 2011
Rubbish 10MW
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by Guk: 9:07am On May 24, 2011
Pls note that my inferences are relying on the facts provided.

This project & other such in Lagos state is a typical BEST PRACTICE WORKAROUND  because at the moment, your state IPP is meant to feed into the National Grid & enjoyed by all, but unfortunately, that hasnt had much effect so what Lagos has done & is doing is akin to a VPN (Virtual Private Network).

This is possible on small scales in Nigeria today and should serve as temp measures.

For those who do not know or are not observant, Broad street lagos  & some of it environs dont have NEPA electric poles but underground cables so this 10MW IPP is serving as a BIG GENERATOR thereby circumventing but not contravening the law that your IPP has to be connected to National Grid.

This is a simple model that can and should be encouraged and replicated & its not rocket science. NLNG provides the same to Bonny town & i think Finima. Something similar has operated in Rayfield in Jos for at least a decade.

We should be solution providers & not waste preciuos time arguing & criticising, but learn, be provoked & seek to improve on what others have done. So, how can this be introduced to our neighbourhood?? Thats what should be on our minds & thus form our action plan

Environmentally, it takes scores of emission out of circulation
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by johnie: 9:13am On May 24, 2011
Here's a picture of the plant from the Marina Bridge. (Sorry, this is the best I could do).

It shows the Plant and the General Hospital. the State House is just beside NET/NECOM house.

As a matter the fact, there are two state houses there!

One is for the president (his official lodge when in Lagos, like last night and where he will host a corporate dinner this evening as part of the 2011 presidential inauguration ceremonies) and the other for the state governor.

It used to be one in the colonial days but I think it was split either when Lagos State was created in 1967 or when the  military heads of state started living in Dodan Barracks.

Anyway, what I am wondering is whether the plant will power only the Lagos State House and leave the 'Federal State House' in "darkness" until the FG does something about the power situation and will the president be staying behind in Lagos to witness the commissioning?

Just wondering. . .

grin

Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by Kx: 9:15am On May 24, 2011
Guk:

This project & other such in Lagos state is a typical BEST PRACTICE WORKAROUND  because at the moment, your state IPP is meant to feed into the National Grid & enjoyed by all, but unfortunately, that hasnt had much effect so what Lagos has done & is doing is akin to a VPN (Virtual Private Network).
I think this is the best approach to naijas electricity problem.
Governors should generate and provide energy for its people not just feeding it into the national ground to power
states that are being run by lazy, visionless PDP governors.

Once this approach is fully embraced, true federalism wont be a tall dream anymore.
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by johnie: 9:19am On May 24, 2011
This is the Lagos State Government's version of the AES/ENRON power plant story:

In 1999, the Lagos State Government (LASG) entered into a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) with Enron for purchase of electricity. This was the first Independent Power Project in Nigeria. The PPA divided the project into three phases; Phase I was for three barge-mounted electricity generating units, having an aggregate nominal capacity of 90MW. Phase II was the design, construction and operation of a simple cycle electricity generating facility with a nominal capacity of 548 MW. Phase III was another set of barge-mounted electricity generating units with an aggregate nominal capacity of 180MW. Phase II did not materialize; hence parties proceeded only with Phase I and III. The barges are located at Egbin near Ikorodu.

In view of the legal and regulatory regime at that time, the arrangement therefore was for LASG to buy power from Enron and for same to be distributed by NEPA to the geographical areas specified in the PPA. The purchased power was to be distributed to those geographical areas in addition to, and not in substitution for, any electricity that is generated otherwise than by the barges. These areas were Ikeja, Oshodi, Victoria Island, Marina, Lekki and Apapa.

The plant commenced operations in June 2001 with a total aggregate capacity of 270 MW injected into the national grid.

http://www.lagospowerprojects.gov.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=57

Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by vislabraye(m): 9:23am On May 24, 2011
Good.
I also hope he doesnt forget the Lekki Aja area where three toll gates are built. The money he has spent so far runs into many billions which I'm sure can build a power project to supply far more than 10 MW of electricity.

Spread the Love to all other regions of the state.
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by Skii(m): 9:45am On May 24, 2011
Broda Raji

Please Spray Air Freshener into their "fresh" air jooo
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by Bawss1(m): 10:14am On May 24, 2011
Skii:

Broda Raji

Please Spray Air Freshener into their "fresh" air jooo

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by moonraker(m): 10:15am On May 24, 2011
This is exactly what i having be saying to all my friends.

its is not a crime to take ur share of the national piece of cake

while in power. if you are doing something for ur state or country that

people can see, no one will accuse you of stealing,

Fashola is doin a fantastic job, if such a project can be executed in every area

of lagos, imagine what a lagos would turn into, 10MW every where,

Lets face it peeps, The FG is tired of Lagos, Their main focus is in Abuja where the president is,
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by babakuns: 10:52am On May 24, 2011
why publicising what supposed to be your primary assingment, go ahead and give people light do anything you can to give naija people light.
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by Guyman02: 11:02am On May 24, 2011
moonraker:

Lets face it peeps, The FG is tired of Lagos, Their main focus is in Abuja where the president is,

Last week in Ilorin while commissioning the expanded cargo airport, GEJ stated that his focus is on decongesting Lagos in all ramifications. The PDP govt sees Lagos as a state that is taking the shine from the FG, meaning that many citizens in Nigeria have more respect for Fashola than in GEJ.
ACN swept the entire SE in the last elections as a result of the singular performance of BRF which they people want replicated in their own ststaes of Oyo, Ogun etc.
Kudos to BRF; 10MW in each of the 57 LGs and Lagos is lighted up.
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by elms: 11:56am On May 24, 2011
This is a nice move by the state government, but I would have preferred the 8MW were generated from gas and 2MW from diesel, I guess the state government can not guarantee a steady supply of gas to the plant.
Are they planning to have all 6 generators (6MW of gas and 4MW of gas) running at the same time, the diesel gens should have been designed as black-start generators (as stand-by generators whenever the gas engines are on preventive or corrective maintenance). So a power plant with a total capacity of 10MW might just be generating 8MW duty (constantly) and 2MW as stand-by. If it is not designed to operate this way, the state is working towards a total breakdown of that plant in the very near future. My own two cents.
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by Kobojunkie: 1:32pm On May 24, 2011
Guk:

This is possible on small scales in Nigeria today and should serve as temp measures.

For those who do not know or are not observant, Broad street lagos  & some of it environs dont have NEPA electric poles but underground cables so this 10MW IPP is serving as a BIG GENERATOR thereby circumventing but not contravening the law that your IPP has to be connected to National Grid.

This is a simple model that can and should be encouraged and replicated & its not rocket science. NLNG provides the same to Bonny town & i think Finima. Something similar has operated in Rayfield in Jos for at least a decade.

I am glad the excuse is no longer that it all has to go to the National grid. Over the years, there has been numerous debates and suggestions that the state start developing it's own power solution and I am glad it is going that way and I hope it happens statewide.
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by vislabraye(m): 2:11pm On May 24, 2011
Fashola is taking up a lot of laudable projects. I hope these projects are properly maintained even afterthe office.

My suspicion is that of all the projects he has undertaken or is undertaking only the toll gates may last forever. Kudos Fash

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Get The New Way To Hack Your Mtn Sim For Unlimited Browsing / Business Name Registration / I Will Make Nigeria Self-sufficient In Food Production – Dangote

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.