Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,267 members, 7,860,623 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 01:25 PM

Speaker Bid: S’west Loses Out - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Speaker Bid: S’west Loses Out (969 Views)

Ishaku Wins At The Appeal Court As Alhassan Loses Out / South East Loses Out In NASS Leadership Sharing Formula Of APC / Tinubu Gave S’west Votes To Jonathan - Yinka Odumakin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speaker Bid: S’west Loses Out by aloyemeka1: 10:32pm On May 23, 2011
[size=14pt]Speaker bid: S’West loses out , As rebellious reps settle for Tambuwal [/size]
From JAMES OJO, Abuja

Monday, May 23, 2011
• Leaders lobby for SGF

Following indications that the South-West may lose out in the power sharing game of the Peoples Democratic Party [PDP] with the entry of Aminu Tambuwal into the race for the Speaker of the House of Representatives, a group of leaders met at the weekend and resolved to demand for the position of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation [SGF].

The position of the Speaker was zoned to the South-West by the PDP after the April election and qualified members of the party from the zone had intensified campaign for the plum job.

Mrs Mulikat Adeola-Akande, Muraina Ajibola were the two known runners in the speakership race from the South-West. While the caucus of the party in the zone had declared Ajibola as the party’s candidate for the job, Adeola-Akande, the only woman aspirant was banking on the support of Dame Patience Jonathan, wife of the president and the women folk to win the race.

They took the advantages offered by a week-long induction retreat for would-be members of the new House in the six zones to campaign for the job. But the declaration of Aminu Tambuwal to throw his hat in the ring for the job opened up the space for the job and changed the political calculations, against party directives. Tambuwal, who is from the North-West zone commands respect and large followership among the returning and newly-elected members of the House.

He too toured the six centres of the retreat to galvanize support of the members and has met with other stake holders.

It was on the popularity and acceptability of Tambuwal among the members that informed the Saturday’s meeting at the instance of political office holders in the Presidency from the South-West to review the sharing of positions by the PDP.

A source at the meeting said that the future of the zone in the next four years formed the agenda of the meeting, which was facilitated by a senior female appointee of the presidency.

According to him, the meeting examined the chances of the two candidates from the zone in the race for the speakership and concluded that the zone was at risk of losing out.“Sentiments apart, we did a thorough review of the chances of the candidates from our zone, it was made known to us that they cannot match the man from the North-West who had declared his intension to run for the position of the Speaker of the House.

“I must confess to you that we are not comfortable with the insistence of the House to adopt the open secret ballot in election of the next speaker. They have gone ahead to change their rules, this means that they are not ready to accept imposition of candidate.” “If we depend only on the power of zoning, the South West zone may end up with no position among the six top-most political offices in the country.

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/may/23/513.html
Re: Speaker Bid: S’west Loses Out by dempeople(m): 10:52pm On May 23, 2011
Interesting. Very interesting. Politics is indeed a dirty game. Very dirty game.
Re: Speaker Bid: S’west Loses Out by jmaine: 11:25pm On May 23, 2011
If Mr Tambuwal is highly competent and also[b] has a good degree integrity[/b] . . then he should be supported . .  Power tussle melee . . .    grin . . .
Re: Speaker Bid: S’west Loses Out by revomind(m): 11:31pm On May 23, 2011
Wonder why Farouk Lawan is never interested in being Speaker. He is arguably the most influential member of the House. If Mr. Tambuwal has what it takes, so be it. The candidates from the Southwest are uninspiring. The Southwest chapter of the PDP produces the smelliest of the smelly characters in the PDP for real.
Re: Speaker Bid: S’west Loses Out by aloyemeka1: 11:34pm On May 23, 2011
revomind:

Wonder why Farouk Lawan is never interested in being Speaker. He is arguably the most influential member of the House. If Mr. Tambuwal has what it takes, so be it. The candidates from the Southwest are uninspiring. The Southwest chapter of the PDP produces the smelliest of the smelly characters in the PDP for real.

Must the PDP produce a speaker.
Re: Speaker Bid: S’west Loses Out by aloyemeka1: 3:28am On May 24, 2011
jmaine:

If Mr Tambuwal is highly competent and also[b] has a good degree integrity[/b] . . then he should be supported . .  Power tussle melee . . .    grin . . .

There are many competent people in the house. Mr Tumbler is not the only Einstein there.
Re: Speaker Bid: S’west Loses Out by ektbear: 3:32am On May 24, 2011
Interesting.
Re: Speaker Bid: S’west Loses Out by Mynd44: 3:46am On May 24, 2011
Are we still on this speakership issue?
Re: Speaker Bid: S’west Loses Out by 9ja4eva: 4:00am On May 24, 2011
Mynd_44:

Are we still on this speakership issue?

Signs of a clueless president and stupid zoning formula.

God help Nigeria
Re: Speaker Bid: S’west Loses Out by aloyemeka1: 11:23am On May 24, 2011
9ja4eva:

Signs of a clueless president and silly zoning formula.

God help Nigeria

It's not signs of clueless president because he CANNOT pick a speaker for the house under normal circumstances.
Re: Speaker Bid: S’west Loses Out by dustydee: 11:35am On May 24, 2011
How did the SW lose out? has a speaker been elected?
Re: Speaker Bid: S’west Loses Out by Nobody: 5:42pm On May 24, 2011
Nigeria is too complex, Nigeria is a joke.
This tribal/ethnic/religious politicking will surely continue without end till dooms day.

Let us come together, sit down and negotiate Nigeria.
Re: Speaker Bid: S’west Loses Out by aljharem3: 5:44pm On May 24, 2011
noblezone:

This tribal/ethnic/religious politicking will surely continue without end till dooms day.

that is exactly what we should do

each time we try to develop, a group of people keep dragging Nigeria back

WE SHOULD KNOW IF WE WANT NIGERIA OR NOT
Re: Speaker Bid: S’west Loses Out by bkbabe97y(m): 5:45pm On May 24, 2011
Wow, thanks to Ibos the only black country that has Super Power potential is going down the drain. My only joy though is that Ibos have been shown that they are inconsequential and irrelevant in Nigeria despite their rigging prowess. Fifth Class citizens in the land of their birth. That alone, gives me tremendous joy. Freaking cannibalistic monkeys!
Re: Speaker Bid: S’west Loses Out by Pukkah: 5:54pm On May 24, 2011
noblezone:

This is good but how can it be achieved?
Re: Speaker Bid: S’west Loses Out by Nobody: 6:03pm On May 24, 2011
Pukkah:

This is good but how can it be achieved?

We can start from here.

Post comments to support it. Publish articles in newpapers and onlines. Start discussion groups whereever you are.

Check my previous posts, I have never left anyone in doubt that the present structure of Nigeria is a big problem.

bk.babe97y:

Wow, thanks to Ibos the only black country that has Super Power potential is going down the drain. My only joy though is that Ibos have been shown that they are inconsequential and irrelevant in Nigeria despite their rigging prowess. Fifth Class citizens in the land of their birth. That alone, gives me tremendous joy. Freaking cannibalistic monkeys!

Are you okay?
Re: Speaker Bid: S’west Loses Out by emekagh(m): 6:18pm On May 24, 2011
^^^ Very few people believe he is indeed okay.
Re: Speaker Bid: S’west Loses Out by dayokanu(m): 6:32pm On May 24, 2011
Very good news

In your face OBJ
Re: Speaker Bid: S’west Loses Out by seanet02: 6:36pm On May 24, 2011
People can not differentiate between may and have. By the odili is not reliable. Ibos and their delustions.
Re: Speaker Bid: S’west Loses Out by sbeezy8: 6:46pm On May 24, 2011
GOOD if its true i didnt care whether it was in the SW or not

but look without the SW in the equation PDP is damn near dead!

SS president, [b]NW [/b]vice, [b]NC [/b]senate president, [b]NW [/b]speaker, [b]NE [/b]chairmanship lol
Re: Speaker Bid: S’west Loses Out by gogo13233: 6:49pm On May 24, 2011
as far as is it not a palm oil drinker, am ok.do u remember these oily punks argument and glee on this forum
Re: Speaker Bid: S’west Loses Out by dayokanu(m): 6:52pm On May 24, 2011
Should something happen to GEJ,

Impeachment, Sickness or anything then the country is back fully in the Hands of the same "Born to rule" Northerners we want out.

Then we can unearth our thread that have sayings like Is it only the North thats meant to rule, Fresh air, No to North, Northerners are evil. Even the conquest of Uthman dan Fodio wasnt this total and complete.

We voted GEJ and not PDP

i dey laff oooo.
Re: Speaker Bid: S’west Loses Out by alexleo(m): 6:55pm On May 24, 2011
bk.babe97y:

Is your head correct at all? we are talking about Sw losing the speakership to the Ne and you are talking about igbos going down the drain. Why do you allow tribalism to block your sense of reasoning. Doesnt it call for concern that the two houses of Assembly will be controlled by the North leaving GEJ at the mercies of Northerners so to speak. But on the other hand, dont you see that the main problem here is that the house doesnt want the Obasanjo candidate that is being imposed on them. I would have loved it if it were possible for the ACN to produce the speaker because they have more credible candidates from south west.Yes Igbos are getting the SGF or whatever, thats not my business. All i want is for my governor Rochas Okorocha to deliver in Imo. Be reasonable when you are posting and stop all this foolish tribalism here.
Re: Speaker Bid: S’west Loses Out by aloyemeka1: 6:00am On May 25, 2011
seanet02:

People can not differentiate between may and have. By the odili is not reliable. Ibos and their delustions.

You know that you will do better in life if you forget about Igbos and actually read your book. Your fellow tribalists like EktBEER, Eko Ile are all well educated and you dey follow follow them as an illiterate tribalist. They can get jobs in multinational companies after the tribalism is over but all you can get is a butchering job with OPC. A word is enough for the wise.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Army 242 Battalion Vs Nigeria Police Badagry Division / Nigerian Church Razed In Senegal, By Citizen Okey / Islamic Banking: Christain Leaders Are Not Being Sincere : Pastor Tunde Bakare

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.