Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,094 members, 7,811,068 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:12 PM

Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender (26214 Views)

President Bukele Of El Salvador Has Deployed 4000 Soldiers To Three Communities / Ghana Bans Spending In Foreign Currencies, Makes Cedi Sole Legal Tender / Bukele: El Salvador Adopts Bitcoin As Legal Tender, The First Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by Nobody: 8:43am On Sep 08, 2021
Protests broke out Wednesday in El Salvador, after Bitcoin witnessed its biggest crash in nearly a month, just a day after the Central American nation became the first country in the world to adopt the popular cryptocurrency as a legal tender.

The country’s president, Nayib Bukele, announced on Monday that they had acquired roughly $21 million bitcoin worth in order to uplift the circulation of the digital currency among its citizens.

This came three months after the president had announced in June that he has sent a bill to the country’s parliament for a vote on the currency’s adoption.

Lawmakers in the Central American country voted by a “supermajority” in favour of the Bitcoin Law, which received 62 out of 84 of the legislature’s vote. The price of bitcoin was up 5 per cent to $34,239.17 shortly after the vote.

“From today, businesses will be obliged where possible to accept the controversial digital coins as payment,” a BBC report quoted the government as saying Tuesday.

Daniel Hercules, 26, a Salvadorian taxi driver expressed excitement by the move, but that he is also worried about how stable his earnings will be.

“I’ve accepted Bitcoin for about two months since I knew this was coming. I just had someone pay me $40 in Bitcoin for a fare to the airport but it’s rare. Only around 10% of customers prefer to pay with Bitcoin,” the BBC quoted him as saying.

Meanwhile, a survey by the Central American University (UCA) found that only 4.8 per cent of the 1,281 people who took part understood what Bitcoin is all about.

It was noted that more than 68 per cent of respondents said they disagreed with using cryptocurrency as a legal tender.

Bitcoin crashes
Nearly 24-hour after El Salvador’s Bitcoin policy took effect, Bitcoin crashed to its lowest in nearly a month. It fell from the $52,000 benchmark it has been trading in days to below $43,000 at some point.

Over 1,000 protesters took to the streets of San Salvador to vent their plights, opposing the Latin American country’s adoption of Bitcoin as a legal tender.

The crash in the price of the currency happened as platforms such as Apple and Huawei refused to offer the government-backed digital wallet, called Chivo, which resulted in servers having to be pulled offline after user registrations could not be sustained.

Within this period, the coin experienced a low of $43,285.21 and oscillated to a high of $51,240.80 before settling at $$46,099.20 on Wednesday at 10.21 AM Nigerian time.

By implication, the price of the digital currency has plummeted by 29.34 per cent after it touched an all-time-high record of $64,829.14 in April, coinmarketcap.com data showed.
https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/483786-protests-as-bitcoin-crashes-after-el-salvador-adopts-coin-as-legal-tender.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by FreeStuffsNG: 8:48am On Sep 08, 2021
A loose canon seems to be in charge in that country. They got the kind of leader they deserve; he wants to take short cut to national prosperity in a country not producing anything but collecting. Smh. He is even mocking IMF, his nation's major creditor that recently helped it out of covid-19 induced economic contraction when he was challenged for using foreign donations, diaspora forex remittances and international debts to buy Bitcoin ! shocked

Well, it is their wahala. They are a small country with a small population of just around 6m people so they can't give the rest of the world problem. His solution to the prevalent drug gang violence and poverty in his tiny country is crypto. So much for those who believe in white supremacy in the only country in South America that doesn't officially recognise it has an indigenous black community.
I can't just imagine President Muhammadu Buhari converting diaspora remittances of Nigerians overseas to Bitcoin and converting naira to Bitcoin, all hell will be let loose niyen. Hopefully, someday, those who are filled with bigotry and hatred for this great nation will not reach the stage they completely lose all in life before they learn to appreciate our strengths and successes as a nation.
God bless Nigeria.
FreeStuffsNG

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by BabbanBura(m): 8:58am On Sep 08, 2021
Wahala for people wey carry bitcoin for head and put all their eggs in one basket!

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by xpressionx(m): 9:04am On Sep 08, 2021
Nawa. Quack economists everywhere

3 Likes

Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by Bornsinner7: 9:14am On Sep 08, 2021
Damn
Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by jamace(m): 9:51am On Sep 08, 2021
Bitcoin will rise again between $40,000 and $43000.

4 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by Adedotguy: 9:59am On Sep 08, 2021
sad angry
Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by chariisGRACE(m): 11:15am On Sep 08, 2021
An experience as this is an arms length when you venture into cryptocurrency. I believe they expected something like this before they embarked on the brave adventure.

They will bounce back.

8 Likes

Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by Elsueno: 12:11pm On Sep 08, 2021

I really don't understand what the protest is about, is it no other currency will be accepted in Salvador except Bitcoin or what.
This seems unnecessary to me, u don't want Bitcoin. then use $ or ur countries currency since it's still in use.

People who will adopt should be allowed to do so, the lagged can come on boat later to pick up d crumbs.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by biosilicon: 12:20pm On Sep 08, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:
A loose canon seems to be in charge in that country. They got the kind of leader they deserve; he wants to take short cut to national prosperity in a country not producing anything but collecting. Smh. He is even mocking IMF, his nation's major creditor that recently helped it out of covid-19 induced economic contraction when he was challenged for using foreign donations, diaspora forex remittances and international debts to buy Bitcoin ! shocked

Well, it is their wahala. They are a small country with a small population of just around 6m people so they can't give the rest of the world problem. His solution to the prevalent drug gang violence and poverty in his tiny country is crypto. So much for those who believe in white supremacy in the only country in South America that doesn't officially recognise it has an indigenous black community.
I can't just imagine President Muhammadu Buhari converting diaspora remittances of Nigerians overseas to Bitcoin and converting naira to Bitcoin, all hell will be let loose niyen. Hopefully, someday, those who are filled with bigotry and hatred for this great nation will not reach the stage they completely lose all in life before they learn to appreciate our strengths and successes as a nation.
God bless Nigeria.
FreeStuffsNG

WOW! You just publicly embarassed yourself. That is why its best to keep mute in matters you know little about. All you did was show that freestuffsNG is run by an ignoramus. So you'll rather prefer worthless piece of paper controlled by a small group of elites who print it at will. and then you and i ascribe value to it with our sweat and time. Clearly you know nothing.
I'll take a volatile asset that retains value and appreciate on the long term over something that on a steady decline to zero.
BTC's volatility will reduce with time as it gains more adoption.

Nigerians don't read but since you are running a business, you'll be doing yourself a world of good by learning what sound money is, why the current global financial system will inevitably crumble and why BTC represents hope. I'll help you a little if you want, you can start by watching this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFDe5kUUyT0

The Elsavadorian president is a visionary, what he did is cheating because it is purely a shortcut to his country's economic prosperity. smart man. Those one thousand people protesting are probably illiterates or political opposition sponsored that know nothing about BTC. The president knew this would happen and warned before hand.

66 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by FreeStuffsNG: 12:44pm On Sep 08, 2021
biosilicon:

WOW! You just publicly embarassed yourself. That is why its best to keep mute in matters you know little about. All you did was show that freestuffsNG is run by an ignoramus.

Nigerians don't read but since you are running a business, you'll be doing yourself a world of good by learning what sound money is, why the current global financial system will inevitably crumble and why BTC represents hope.

The Elsavadorian president is a visionary, what he did is cheating because it is purely a shortcut to his country's economic prosperity. smart man. Those one thousand people protesting are probably illiterates or political opposition sponsored that know nothing about BTC. The president knew this would happen and warned before hand.

I really clap for you sir. I can figure your age and generation from your remark- that generation that won't read yet have opinion on everything and whoever draws your attention to what you don't have the temperament, character, upbringing and self-discipline to sit down and read, you will haul insults at.
Just continue, you will learn las las that everything is not about social media, and naira and kobo.

You will learn that you can't succeed in life if you don't go outside what you only gleam from social media, if you do not sit down and read deep mental thinking stuff especially on monetary and fiscal economics . You will learn at last, even if it's too late for you,that it's your personal responsibility to read outside the vanity shallow social stuff on social media. ,some day, you will sir.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by biosilicon: 12:54pm On Sep 08, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:

I really clap for you sir. I can figure your age and generation from your remark- that generation that won't read yet have opinion on everything and whoever draws your attention to what you don't have the temperament and discipline to sit down and read, you will haul insults at.
Just continue, you will learn las las that everything is not about social and and naira and kobo. You will learn at last even if it's too late for you ,some day, you will.

I have already succeeded and i remain grateful. but Apologies if you feel insulted. everything i said is true. Its just annoying when people ignorantly publicly condemn what they don't understand but will ultimately liberate them. You don't know my age but i'll bet i'm older than you. Its not about age, its about understanding, and that only comes through knowledge.

73 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by CDavidd(m): 1:04pm On Sep 08, 2021
The thing is Bitcoin can not become a county's legal tender, because it is high volatile and can not provide some level of price stability like the Dollar or El Salvador's Colon.

The only crypto currency that can be acceptable are decentralized stable coins like USDT, ESD, DAI.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by GSteve001(m): 4:41pm On Sep 08, 2021
biosilicon:

I have already succeeded and i remain grateful. but Apologies if you feel insulted. everything i said is true. Its just annoying when people ignorantly publicly condemn what they don't understand but will ultimately liberate them. You don't know my age but i'll bet i'm older than you. Its not about age, its about understanding, and that only comes through knowledge.

wow. People need to learn this sort of approach to arguments. followed you

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by Donaro(m): 6:11pm On Sep 08, 2021
jamace:

Well ....you might be wrong
Don't be surprise if you see BTC at 20-28k before it eventually goes up
Save this comment

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by Kryptobi: 6:34pm On Sep 08, 2021
Donaro:

Save this comment

It is not possible. BTC will never go to 20k again ever. Buy it now and secure your future.
Save this comment.

10 Likes

Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by jamace(m): 8:06pm On Sep 08, 2021
Donaro:

Save this comment

Ok. Save my comment too... grin

3 Likes

Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by Donaro(m): 9:37pm On Sep 08, 2021
Kryptobi:

It is not possible. BTC will never go to 20k again ever. Buy it now and secure your future.
Save this comment.

Alright....Let's see how it goes
Have been trading Crypto Currrency for something now and I know what I'm talking about......Plus when you are talking about a volatile market like btc anything can happen stop using the word never

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by Donaro(m): 9:37pm On Sep 08, 2021
jamace:

Ok. Save my comment too... grin

Sure ......I hope you will remind me when it eventually happens

1 Like

Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by showafrica(m): 12:26am On Sep 09, 2021
Kryptobi:

Save this comment.

Lol... Its like you are new to btc. That thing can frustrate person. If someone tell me btc may come back to 6k, i will believe it. Mind you, btc is 40 to 50k now because dollar is weak. Trace it back to August 2020 when Trump wanted to leave office. Whatever he did, dollar crashed and all pairs against USD started bullling including EUR, GBP and Gold. Every currency multiplied by 5 against the dollar including btc. I am not sure if dollar will ever recover but should dollar recover, btc will fall to 13k. Thats the real price. However, with what is happening in US and sleepy Joe, i am seeing USD getting weaker and btc moving higher. Anyone who has free money should invest in btc because it is limited unlike paper money they print anyhow. No matter what, btc will get to $1m before 10yrs.

9 Likes

Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by Kryptobi: 6:53am On Sep 09, 2021
Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by ElectronicMoney(m): 7:14am On Sep 09, 2021
Kryptobi:

Save this comment.

Never say never!

4 Likes

Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by Kryptobi: 7:16am On Sep 09, 2021
Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by ElectronicMoney(m): 7:25am On Sep 09, 2021
Kryptobi:

This is no more possible than saying BTC is going to 3k.

All it needs is for one serious Black swan event to happen and the price will come tumbling down.

If for instance the central banks of the US, UK and China launch their own digital currencies at the same time I can guarantee you that the price of Beeteecee will crash momentarily

7 Likes

Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by showafrica(m): 8:15am On Sep 09, 2021
Kryptobi:

BTC is now mainstream, mark my words it will never ever see 20k ever again. November will make it 2 years and 1 month that I've been in this game.
Cc: showafrica

Never say never in crypto, that's why its crypto. Nobody will believe btc can go all the way to 20k$ and crash back to 3k$.

1 Like

Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by Kryptobi: 9:39am On Sep 09, 2021
ElectronicMoney:

All it needs is for one serious Black swan event to happen and the price will come tumbling down.

If for instance the central banks of the US, UK and China launch their own digital currencies at the same time I can guarantee you that the price of Beeteecee will crash momentarily

That is why it's a blackswan. It isn't normal.
Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by Andyblaze: 4:33am On Sep 10, 2021
Jazz
Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:38am On Sep 10, 2021
Nairaland.com Rule 16.

Emphasis on Word in red.......

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by temmyyem: 4:42am On Sep 10, 2021
An average Christian by now should see the direction this world is heading...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by MichaelSokoto(m): 4:44am On Sep 10, 2021
jamace:
Rise & fall, kpèlè!

Oga berra wake up!
grin

Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by Onepeople: 4:46am On Sep 10, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:

God bless Nigeria.
FreeStuffsNG
you are writing rubbish, must you compare Nigeria to every nation that is doing badly? Must Nigeria under clueless president be compared to every poor nation? Some of you that are paid to defend this madness have equally 4gotten where this nation was before this inept government took over ,2day 1dollar =#540,1 Ghanaian =68.90k ,continue lying to yourself and comparing the nation with everything bad in the world, as we must be worst than every nation on earth before we could accept that this confused government has failed the Nigerian's.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender by Tantumego: 4:46am On Sep 10, 2021
Probably some paid oppositions, it's just one out of the many legal tender now been accepted in the country and a good one at that, so why the fuss. Allow those who welcomes the idea work with it and you go with the one you choose kalas

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Taliban Don't Respect Humanity- Translator Gives Heart Stopping Account(Pix,vid) / U.S. Embassy In Jerusalem Opens Monday / Boston Marathon Bombing Suspect Caught And Arrested

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.