Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:22 AM

How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. (11312 Views)

Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? / The Entire Bible From Genesis To Revelation Covered In Sand Painting / I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by meine: 7:47am On May 26, 2011
Yes i have read it from cover to cover
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by mazaje(m): 7:53am On May 26, 2011
greateros:

@mazaje - You are toooooooo much!

Are u hausa?

Yep, am a Hausa guy. . . .
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by confetti(f): 8:03am On May 26, 2011
I now understand why Beaf is the way he is. So out of tune with the stark realities of Life. Evidence of a dead conscience.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by ibedun: 8:11am On May 26, 2011
Me Mazaje

Yes indeed you are too much and I have just found a soul (thinker) mate and cant be more glad you are Nigerian.

The vast majority of our people are need education and reorientation. They are fickle, wilfully blind and retarded people.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by DeepSight(m): 9:05am On May 26, 2011
Quote from: ekt_bear on Today at 03:45:00 AM
^-- Christianity came to our part of the world before it came to yours. So not much of a surprise. While your ancestor was being sacrificed or tortured at some forest shrine, others in what came to be known as Nigeria were learning from the Bible

My word. Now my last iota of respect for this fellow has simply evaporated. Here he is celebrating the fact that a foreign myth landed on his shores before it arrived elsewhere. By that token thousands of Ghanaian villages should be presumed more enlightened than the rest of Africa, no?

Sao Jorge da Mina, the first European fort in Africa was built in the 12th Century.

That aside, how the devil does anyone celebrate the arrival and imposition of foreign myths and legends? ? ? ?

Men, this man, I don tire for you finish. Last time you were busy mouthing some odd story about how the Lagos port is "your port". . .
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by DARA1234: 9:21am On May 26, 2011
Mazaje my Fellow good Nigerian. You have not made a simple scientific explanation of all you have said here, all assumptions, somebody said this, somebody said that, no proof, no evidence based study, you have not spoken as a scientist at all. Even though I believe in creation, going through the thread I have provided more hard scientific facts (e.g photosynthesis depends on Light not only sunlight , The Earth is made up of mainly water, 2/3rd about 70% ), than you who claims to be a scientist. Please itemize your solid scientific evidence on your theory with references, make it evidence based, do some intellectual work, let it be visible for all NAIRALANDERS to see, lay it plain.No more fairy tell ", there is life somewhere in another planet far away that we cannot reach , ",this is an assumption, give us proof, did you get a phone call from someone there . It amazes me you have faith in another planet with life forms based on assumptions but you do not have faith in God .
 ONLY CREATION THEORY MAKES SENSE; THE PERFECT ORDER OF CREATION, SEASONS, CLIMATE, PHOTOSYNTHESIS, LIFE,GROWTH ATTAINMENT OF PUBERTY,SEASONAL MIGRATION OF BIRDS, AND ALL NATURE YOU SEE CANNOT HAVE BEEN AN ACCIDENT, IT REQUIRES A MASTER ARCHITECT, GOD,JEHOVAH,ALLAH,YYAW EH OBANGIJI, OLODUMARE , DEPENDING ON YOUR LANGUAGE, ANCIENT GREEKS CALLED HIM THE UNKNOWN GOD(ACT 17 V 23 ). I THANK GOD I AM A BEAUTIFUL CREATIVE WORK OF HIS , I AM NOT AN ACCIDENT, ARE YOU AN ACCIDENT OF NATURE MAZAJE ?.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by BABE3: 9:28am On May 26, 2011
It's better to believe in the existence of God/Jesus (and Love them of course  smiley ), and find out that after death or Rapture, they don't exist, than to Believe they don't exist and find out they actually exist afterwards!

Business Management 101.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Nobody: 9:31am On May 26, 2011
i dont think so!
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by BABE3: 9:37am On May 26, 2011
Henry46:

i dont think so!

ehn ehn. I'm happy for you. smiley Why don't you think so?
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Iyineda(m): 9:48am On May 26, 2011
No. Never have. Never will. u__u
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Nobody: 9:51am On May 26, 2011
^ ^ r u a christian??
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Nobody: 9:52am On May 26, 2011
Deep Sight:

My word. Now my last iota of respect for this fellow has simply evaporated. Here he is celebrating the fact that a foreign myth landed on his shores before it arrived elsewhere. By that token thousands of Ghanaian villages should be presumed more enlightened than the rest of Africa, no?

Sao Jorge da Mina, the first European fort in Africa was built in the 12th Century.

That aside, how the devil does anyone celebrate the arrival and imposition  of foreign myths and legends? ? ? ?

Men, this man, I don tire for you finish. Last time you were busy mouthing some odd story about how the Lagos port is "your port". . .

If you have any "iota of respect" towards yourself, you'll be more concern about this ethnic-bigoted ediot! below:

igbo boy:

Na wa o, odua dey read bible too?  

Life is funny sha with all these contradictions
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by AmAlone: 9:57am On May 26, 2011
BABE!:

It's better to believe in the existence of God/Jesus (and Love them of course  smiley ), and find out that after death or Rapture, they don't exist, than to Believe they don't exist and find out they actually exist afterwards!

Business Management 101.

Tru talk sister miss!!!

I used to be an Atheist!!!!!
But God Has Saved Me From Death
More Than 10 Times!!!!
I've Not Read The Bible Cover To Cover
But I am a True (without)Christ I [b]A[/b]m [b]N[/b]othing
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Nobody: 9:58am On May 26, 2011
igbo boy:

Na wa o, odua dey read bible too?  

Life is funny sha with all these contradictions
igbo boy:

You and who dey argue whether na Yoruba or igbo first see Christianity?   inferiority complex dey worry u, me i am a full fledge traditional man and a proud one, that shrine u refer to still exists and its where i'll sacrifice u if u dare come and blaspheme against Ani oshimili,
The bolded  was a true display of inferiority complex, if you want to dive into that subject.
ekt_bear's point is the prove to you that the "odua" were exposed to Christianity before "your people", so the fact that "odua dey read Bible" should not be surprising to a historically educated person. Unfortunately, you're not.

Christianity may be a "foreign" religion, nevertheless, it's still a religion celebrated throughout Africa. Nobody is forcing Nigerians to become Christians in this modern time, they have the choice to turn back to any religion they choose to practice.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Nobody: 10:00am On May 26, 2011
The bible is a bit confusing. For example, there are two accounts on the creation of humans: The first one on Genesis 1:26 and the second on Genesis 2:7 which is the creation account of Adam, the putative progenitor of the human race.
Any reasonable answer to this?
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by MyJoe: 10:00am On May 26, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

If you have any "iota of respect" towards yourself, you'll be more concern about this ethnic-bigoted ediot! below:

I think you have misunderstood his post completely. Please read it again.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by BABE3: 10:03am On May 26, 2011
Am Alone:

Tru talk sister miss!!!

I used to be an Atheist!!!!!
But God Has Saved Me From Death
More Than 10 Times!!!!
I've Not Read The Bible Cover To Cover
But I am a True (without)Christ I [b]A[/b]m [b]N[/b]othing

Awww---**sniffs** smiley. I'm so happy for you. Be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded (2 chronicles 15:7)
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Iyineda(m): 10:04am On May 26, 2011
Henry46:

^ ^ r u a christian??

I was born in a family of faith, if I can call it that. Part Anglican, part. . . something else. I'm none of the two.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by BABE3: 10:10am On May 26, 2011
J12:

The bible is a bit confusing. For example, there are two accounts on the creation of humans: The first one on Genesis 1:26 and the second on Genesis 2:7 which is the creation account of Adam, the putative progenitor of the human race.

Well, my dear, like I said, the bible was not hand written by GOD! It was man made. People wrote it.

This is just my speculation:   there two stories because during the complilation of the bible over the years two parties that had the stories were 'fighting' for which is the 'right' one to "publish". To settle this they just had to put the two. smiley

Remember most of the old testament stories where passed down orally, so it's possible both of the Genesis stories  are not as accurate as we think.

Ultimately we shouldn't get caught-up with the contradictions and all that. Trust me, there's more to the bible than that. A lot more.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by SEFAGO(m): 10:10am On May 26, 2011
J12:

Your confusion would be cleared if you read it while influenced by the spirit.

You are reading it purely as man and not moved by God.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by EvilBrain1(m): 10:11am On May 26, 2011
I first read through the bible whenI was 8 or 9 years old and with hindsight, that was the thing that made me start losing my faith. What first struck me was what a horrible, horrible person the old testament god was. He was cruel, petty vindictive, bloodthirsty, mean, killed people almost randomly for no good reason, and was basically the opposite of what I thought a decent person should be.
He set Adam and Eve up in the garden of Eden, he murdered thousands of innocent children in Egypt for no good reason. He routinely told the Isrealites to slaughter all their enemies including women, children and even animals (sometimes, he'd allow them to keep the underage girls to be r@ped later). He killed Lot's wife for looking back even though her home, her property and all her friends were being burnt to ashes. Wouldn't you look back if that was you? I can't count the number of times I've read an old testament passage and wondered to myself "WTF is wrong with this guy?"
If I saw Yahweh walking towards me, I would cross to the other side of the road fast before he kills me for not combing my hair or something.

I thought God had mellowed a bit when started reading the new testament, but then that was where the concept of hell was introduced. A place of eternal torment, and he plans to throw billions of people into it. How can I worship a god that makes Adolf Hitler and the Nazis look like nice guys?
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Nobody: 10:21am On May 26, 2011
Evil Brain:

I first read through the bible whenI was 8 or 9 years old and with hindsight, that was the thing that made me start losing my faith. What first struck  me was what a horrible, horrible person the old testament god was. He was cruel, petty vindictive, bloodthirsty, mean, killed people almost randomly for no good reason, and was basically the opposite of what I thought a decent person should be.
He set Adam and Eve up in the garden of Eden, he murdered thousands of innocent children in Egypt for no good reason. He routinely told the Isrealites to slaughter all their enemies including women, children and even animals (sometimes, he'd allow them to keep the underage girls to be r@ped later). He killed Lot's wife for looking back even though her home, her property and all her friends were being burnt to ashes. Wouldn't you look back if that was you? I can't count the number of times I've read an old testament passage and wondered to myself "WTF is wrong with this guy?"
If I saw Yahweh walking towards me, I would cross to the other side of the road fast before he kills me for not combing my hair or something.

I thought God had mellowed a bit when started reading the new testament, but then that was where the concept of hell was introduced. A place of eternal torment, and he plans to throw billions of people into it. How can I worship a god that makes Adolf Hitler and the Nazis look like nice guys?

Like OMG! That's exactly the same thing my Jewish friend told me when I asked her why she's less religious.

I need to read this old testament. I heard that in the New testament, God's personality was opposite from his Old testament's personality; nice, comforting, gracious, kind etc
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Nobody: 10:24am On May 26, 2011
Evil Brain:

I first read through the bible whenI was 8 or 9 years old and with hindsight, that was the thing that made me start losing my faith. What first struck me was what a horrible, horrible person the old testament god was. He was cruel, petty vindictive, bloodthirsty, mean, killed people almost randomly for no good reason, and was basically the opposite of what I thought a decent person should be.

grin cheesy grin
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by SEFAGO(m): 10:29am On May 26, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Like OMG! That's exactly the same thing my Jewish friend told me when I asked her why she's less religious.

I need to read this old testament. I heard that in the New testament, God's personality was opposite from his Old testament's personality; nice, comforting, gracious, kind etc

Your friend was not reading the book in the spirit. She was reading it from man's perspective. How can she even disagree with a book that claims her ethnicity is "chosen" while all of us are inferior and not worthy of the message.

Such blatant racism, but I digress, I was not reading it while being filled by inspiration from the spirit. Thats why I am misconstruing the message.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Nobody: 10:32am On May 26, 2011
BABE! i'm really surprice, i neva knew u know d bible dat much where as u spend 90% of ur tym here in d romance n sexuality forums, hmmm!
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by DARA1234: 10:33am On May 26, 2011
@Evil Brain
, that was the thing that made me start losing my faith. What first struck  me was what a horrible, horrible person the old testament god was. He was cruel, petty vindictive, bloodthirsty, mean, killed people almost randomly for no good reason, and was basically the opposite of what I thought a decent person should be

This and the rest of your post is an example of how NOT to write a reflective article or statement, it has no base, no foundation, no source, please go back to the bible you read as an 8 year old read it again now that I presume you are an adult, reference the events that happened exactly as it is in the BIBLE come back and then we would have an INTELLIGENT discussion of the issues,
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Nobody: 10:38am On May 26, 2011
ADARA, i think u'r completly right
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Nobody: 10:38am On May 26, 2011
SEFAGO:

Your friend was not reading the book in the spirit. She was reading it from man's perspective. How can she even disagree with a book that claims her ethnicity is "chosen" while all of us are inferior and not worthy of the message.

Such blatant racism, but I digress, I was not reading it while being filled by inspiration from the spirit. Thats why I am misconstruing the message.

LMAO!!! Yea, she said the Bible is full of contradictions and that God was a vile, dictatorial  man who punishes harshly. She also mentioned that the Bible wrongly blamed Jews for Jesus' murder, but it was this other group (I forgot the name sha).

Hmm I thought SEFAGO was a man in the spirit, a believer, speaks in tongue, carries anointing oil around, etc.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by stmarc32(m): 10:40am On May 26, 2011
yes and it's something that should have been published as a romantic/sci-fi novel definitely not something you'd have millions base their belief/life around, let us not forget the same man who brought the bible into africa maimed and killed loads of us, how did we come to accept something that was used as a disguise to displace us.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by BABE3: 10:45am On May 26, 2011
Henry46:

BABE! i'm really surprice, i neva knew u know d bible dat much where as u spend 90% of your tym here in d romance n sexuality forums, hmmm!

LMAO--- Good observation! I'm here to have fun!( I like to say that). I'm not here to battle out and exchange words with people.--nothing that serious. So the Romance section is perfect for me!~~A lot of fun people there. I don't visit the sexulaity section that much.

I'm full of real sh1t, but I just like to keep it on the low while on NL.  smiley
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by Nobody: 10:53am On May 26, 2011
SEFAGO:

Your confusion would be cleared if you read it while influenced by the spirit.

You are reading it purely as man and not moved by God.
Well not everybody can be or is influenced by the spirit. That is why someone who is influenced by spirit to douse my confusion.
Re: How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. by omoalaro: 10:58am On May 26, 2011
Quote from: Beaf on May 24, 2011, 09:52 PM
I'm not an atheist, just non-religious.
You will be shocked that there can be so many contradictions in single book. Its ridiculous; from contradictions in the sequence of creation to contradictions about the events at Jesus resurrection (number of angels, where and when things happened) etc.
It is a lot like the Nigeria we are determined to rebuild, a stark lie. If you took it to court as evidence, you will be severely compromising your case

Beaf, you are right only that you did not cite any example of contradictions that abound in the bible. Let me help you.

Read what that authors of RSV had to say in their preface:

"THE KING JAMES VERSION (alternative description of AV) HAS WITH GOOD REASON BEEN
TERMED 'THE NOBLEST MONUMENT OF ENGLISH PROSE.' ITS REVISERS IN 1881
EXPRESSED ADMIRATION FOR 'ITS SIMPLICITY, ITS DIGNITY, ITS POWER, ITS HAPPY
TURNS OF EXPRESSION, THE MUSIC OF ITS CADENCES, AND THE FELICITIES OF
ITS RHYTHM.' IT ENTERED, AS NO OTHER BOOK HAS, INTO THE MAKING OF THE
PERSONAL CHARACTER AND THE PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS OF THE ENGLISH-SPEAKING
PEOPLES. WE OWE IT AN INCALCULABLE DEBT."

Can you, dear reader, imagine a more magnificent tribute being paid to the "Book of Books"
than the above? I, for one, cannot. Let the believing Christain, now steel himself for the
unkindest blow of all from his own beloved Lawyers of Religion; for in the very same breath
they say:
YET THE KING JAMES VERSION HAS GRAVE DEFECTS." And, "THAT THESE DEFECTS ARE
SO MANY AND SO SERIOUS AS TO CALL FOR REVISION…”[/b]This is straight from the horse's mouth, i.e. the orthodox Christian scholars of "the highest eminence." Another galaxy of Doctors of Divinity are now required to produce an encyclopaedia explaining the cause of those [b]GRAVE AND SERIOUS DEFECTS
in
their Holy Writ and their reasons for eliminating them.

EXAMPLES:

WHO PROVOKED DAVID.

2 Samuel, Chapter 24
001:And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah.

1 Chronicles, Chapter 21
001:And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.

WHAT DID THE LORD DECREED 3 YEARS FAMINE OR 7 YEARS FAMINE?

2 Samuel, Chapter 24
013: So Gad came to David, and told him, and said unto him, Shall seven years of famine come unto thee in thy land? or wilt thou flee three months before thine enemies, while they pursue thee? or that there be three days' pestilence in thy land? now advise, and see what answer I shall return to him that sent me.

1 Chronicles, Chapter 21
011:So Gad came to David, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Choose thee
012:Either three years' famine; or three months to be destroyed before thy foes, while that the sword of thine enemies overtaketh thee; or else three days the sword of the LORD, even the pestilence, in the land, and the angel of the LORD destroying throughout all the coasts of Israel. Now therefore advise thyself what word I shall bring again to him that sent me.

HOW OLD WAS JEHOIACHIN 8 OR 18?

009:Jehoiachin was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned three months and ten days in Jerusalem: and he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD.

2 Kings, Chapter 24
008:Jehoiachin was eighteen years old when he began to reign, and he reigned in Jerusalem three months. And his mother's name was Nehushta, the daughter of Elnathan of Jerusalem.

700 OR 7000? CHARIOTS OR MEN?

2 Samuel, Chapter 10
018:And the Syrians fled before Israel; and David slew the men of seven hundred chariots of the Syrians, and forty thousand horsemen, and smote Shobach the captain of their host, who died there.

1 Chronicles, Chapter 19
018:But the Syrians fled before Israel; and David slew of the Syrians seven thousand men which fought in chariots, and forty thousand footmen, and killed Shophach the captain of the host.

2000 OR 3000 BATHS?

1 Kings, Chapter 7
026:And it was an hand breadth thick, and the brim thereof was wrought like the brim of a cup, with flowers of lilies: it contained two thousand baths.
2 Chronicles, Chapter 4
005:And the thickness of it was an handbreadth, and the brim of it like the work of the brim of a cup, with flowers of lilies; and it received and held three thousand baths.

4000 OR 40000?
2 Chronicles, Chapter 9
025:And Solomon had four thousand stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen; whom he bestowed in the chariot cities, and with the king at Jerusalem.

1 Kings, Chapter 4
026:And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen.

I can go on and on and on citing examples of obvious contradictions in the bible.
God definitely can not be an author of confusion inspiring two different people with different messages on the same topic. But most men are deaf, dumb and blind they would never understand.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

TRINITARIANS, How Do You Honestly Interpret This Verse In The Bible? / Pastor Faith Oyedepo Was Treated Medically In A South Africa Hospital / Men Could Be Infertile, Also Needs Prayer For Fruit Of The Womb - Pastor Adeoye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.