Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,314 members, 7,829,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:18 AM

Home Schooling Versus Regular School - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Home Schooling Versus Regular School (7433 Views)

Home Schooling The Way To Go: Private Schools Now Charging Exorbitantly / More Chinese Are Home Schooling Their Kids / "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Home Schooling Versus Regular School by Lamanii22(f): 9:27am On Sep 13, 2021
Until I get a stable job/income I'd rather home school my daughter...

What are the pros and cons of homeschooling... Or should I just take her to an affordable regular school?

1 Like

Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by GeneralPula: 9:32am On Sep 13, 2021
If you’re brilliant and you really want to let your kids get educated, then home schooling is the best..

You gon set your own syllabus. You gon be able to teach kids more about the reality of life, instead of just piling up tons of bullshits that won’t be helpful in reality into their head..

A lot of Yankee women are withdrawing their kids from school to home school them since this corona is becoming more of a scam with the way they’re enforcing the vaccine..

But like I said, person wey go home school kids gotta have to be brilliant..

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by Ancecoker(m): 9:33am On Sep 13, 2021
Yes o...
Correct person grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by Born2winnx: 9:33am On Sep 13, 2021
People when dey go federal schools, never get job to survive.

Na you when won start your daughter future at home, them go employ.

Carry her go school my friend.

18 Likes

Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by herkeem: 9:33am On Sep 13, 2021
Is there anything like home school in Nigeria? See, instead of homeschooling your kid take him/her to good government school and monitor the child when he comes back. Nija no be abroad o

24 Likes

Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by BruncleZuma: 9:33am On Sep 13, 2021
Home schooling works

3 Likes

Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by Lamasta(m): 9:33am On Sep 13, 2021
Regular schooling for me anytime anyday so that my ward can mingle with his/her colleagues in school

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by money121(m): 9:33am On Sep 13, 2021
Ok

5 Likes

Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by chical: 9:34am On Sep 13, 2021
Regular schooling has advantage such as boosting the morale of the child and encouraging his/her association with other peers. I'll suggest you take the child to a good
affordable regular school until your finances come up

7 Likes

Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by RedEnergy: 9:34am On Sep 13, 2021
Homeschooling is cool. One advantage is better one-on-one teaching experience and more personalized attention from teachers since your child or children. Disadvantage is peer-to-peer learning and interaction with other students is minimal or non-existent. Peer-to-peer interaction among students helps children develop faster in aspect of social interaction and mental development.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by butterfly777(m): 9:34am On Sep 13, 2021
The idea if home schooling is not common in Nigeria.

However, take not that your child may not take you as seriously as a school teacher. Familiarity can hinder the effectiveness of home schooling.

Plus, you may be too linient on your child. Laziness may also set in from time to time for a parent teaching their own children.

Just consider these.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by tonididdy(m): 9:34am On Sep 13, 2021
Home schooling.... How does that work? undecided
Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by Titanium007: 9:34am On Sep 13, 2021
If you have the curriculum, it ain't a bad one, but it's better for your kid(s) to attend regular school in other for em to mix up and learn.
Competition has a way of motivating someone.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by bigjackass: 9:35am On Sep 13, 2021
Lamanii22:

What are the pros and cons of homeschooling... Or should I just take her to an affordable regular school?
Do it for just a few months and send her to school. Books aside, in Nigeria you need to be leaving your house and interacting with different people in order to be actually educated. This is not the western world and you yourself have limited resources so she will be deficient in some areas if you don't send her to school

8 Likes

Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by admax(m): 9:35am On Sep 13, 2021
Benefits of Homeschooling

Parents have the opportunity to:

- Provide religious and ethical instruction for their children
- Shelter children from school violence, drugs, and other negative behaviours children in public schools frequently encounter
- Determine the curriculum and their children's schooling schedule
- Adapt teaching methods best suiting how their children learn
- Spend extra time with their children on difficult concepts and move ahead after children master a subject or concept
- Create a flexible schedule not possible for children enrolled in public school
- Provide their children with the personal interaction that teachers in large classrooms are not able to provide
- Enjoy spending more time with their children

Disadvantages of Homeschooling

Homeschooling parents are required to:

- Be around their children all day long. This can be difficult when children become restless and misbehave
- Frequently explain their reasons for homeschooling their children to friends and relatives unsympathetic or confused about their decision
- Restrain anger and remain patient when children struggle with learning
- Effectively handle the difficulties of moving at a slower pace than public school instruction
- Spend large amounts of money on books and other learning materials
- Constantly adapt to be effective teachers
- Constantly motivate their children
- Speak with other people homeschooling their children to get ideas about solving difficult problems if they're unsure about the best course of action
- Spend time reviewing numerous curriculum programs up to their standards and best suiting their children's learning needs
- Spend more time finding playmates and friends for their children in similar circumstances

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by dhardline(m): 9:35am On Sep 13, 2021
With the level of brain washing going on in schools these days and some immoral teachers that expose children to what you don't even know coupled with the unnecessary exorbitant cost I'll choose home schooling if I have my way. P. S. Elon Musk children are all home schooled and there are so many others too.

3 Likes

Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by Seniorwriter(m): 9:36am On Sep 13, 2021
Lamanii22:

The only difference that can occur is the Social Interaction ability your ward/child will master if in a regular school!
Any thing else is same....so many peeps around the world get their children educated by private teachers@home without any regular attendance to a school.
However @OP in Nigeria you can always get standard schools that has affordable fees that will fit with your financial status.

@SENIORWRITER

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by tonididdy(m): 9:36am On Sep 13, 2021
Can a home schooled child compete with her peers in regular classrooms?

I don't think so

2 Likes

Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by bisiriyubabs(m): 9:36am On Sep 13, 2021
Home schooling for sure, I am home schooling all my Kids except one.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by lifeandjoy: 9:36am On Sep 13, 2021
I know someone who is homeschooling her kids. The husband is a missionary and it requires they move everytime from one african country to the other. The kids are bright and if you were not told you would not know. Download materials and curriculums and give it a try. But imakwa Akwukwo? cool

2 Likes

Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by Ulunne777(f): 9:37am On Sep 13, 2021
I tried it last year after schools resumed post lock down grin and I loved the results.My office was still exempted cos of covid so I decided to homeschool them for that term. We really enjoyed it and my kids made so much progress and even exceeded their curriculum .

Both topped their class these past 2nd and 3rd terms unlike before with wide margin.Their teachers really commended me.

Pros:healthy teacher to pupil ratio, less distractions from fellow pupils,familiar environment ,Rewards from Mummy for doing well etc.
Cons: impacts their social life.

It's not a norm in Nigeria cos i know how many ppl asked me why my children were always home bla bla bla ...

Homeschooling is very good

6 Likes

Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by The5DME(m): 9:37am On Sep 13, 2021
Home schooling please.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by OssyMalik: 9:38am On Sep 13, 2021
Home schooling doesn’t work in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by Ancecoker(m): 9:38am On Sep 13, 2021
How old is the kid seff?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by Bamzyriches451: 9:39am On Sep 13, 2021
Regular schooling anyday, anytime twice on Wednesday

1 Like

Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by YesNoMaybe: 9:39am On Sep 13, 2021
Interesting. Is there any government policy on home schooling? I have an interesting concept I have been working on. It's quite.....

1 Like

Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by Divoc19(f): 9:41am On Sep 13, 2021
Home schooling is good but new to us on this side of the world. So, many people have not really explore that option.
My kids were always doing well at home before they start school. I personally think the school slows them them down.

Yes. Homeschooling is good especially before Nursery 2 class. Try and get a good scheme for your child's learning.

1 Like

Re: Home Schooling Versus Regular School by bamvik(m): 9:44am On Sep 13, 2021
After home schooling, who will give them certificate/results? And recognized by who?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Uniport Post Utme Past Questions And Answers Free / Waec 2024 Practical Specimen / Ministry Of Education's Address In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.