Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,643 members, 7,809,418 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:14 AM

How Do I Train My 3 Month Old Baby To Use A Bottle? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do I Train My 3 Month Old Baby To Use A Bottle? (4260 Views)

Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) / British Mum Leaves Baby To Die During Sex Romp With A Nigerian(PIC) / Her Six Months Old Baby Gazes Sternly At Her During Sex- She's Worried. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Train My 3 Month Old Baby To Use A Bottle? by blank(f): 5:07pm On May 25, 2011
Pls I need help. My baby is 3 months old and has been on exclusive breastfeeding. I am to resume work in a week's time and I have tried to give him bottle but he is now rejecting it. Its so frustrating.

Let me give more info 4 those who av the patience to read.

He has been on breast without a bottle cos I didn't see the need for it. I went out with my husband alone, 4 d first time, on Friday n left my baby with my cousin and expressed milk. She called 30 minutes later that he was crying n refusing the bottle. I raced home n tried and tried, no luck. Finally had to give him breast. We av been battling with this for the past few days no improvement.

He will just keep crying and crying sometimes for more than an hour (my baby hardly cries). When he finally gets the breast, he will be so tired that he just sucks a little and then sleeps. Weighed him today and he has gone from 6kg to 5.86kg in just 5 days! He was born pre-term so I take his weight seriously. I had to take permission 4rm my office 2 resume a week later than I was meant to.

I thought it should be a natural thing for him. Why is he finding it difficult? Pls, mothers out there should help. I av till Monday next week.
Re: How Do I Train My 3 Month Old Baby To Use A Bottle? by obowunmi(m): 5:54pm On May 25, 2011
eya! embarassed
Re: How Do I Train My 3 Month Old Baby To Use A Bottle? by Busybody2(f): 6:02pm On May 25, 2011
He has formed a habit with the bosom, and for you to break this bond,  you would need to psyche yourself to be strict and firm with him. You might not be able to do this on your own, except you are a naturally cold person who has no qualms tuning off when he starts crying.

My son didn't use a bottle, well my Mum and the Midwife and Health Visitor colluded and succeeded in getting him off it without my knowledge, because he eats too much and his mouth has no brake and on average suckled for 5 hours non-stop. His ravenous appetite has become the butt of many jokes in my family as once they gave him kolanut and he wolfed it down licking his mouth in the process cheesy and everytime i tried reintroducing him to the bottle, the poor mite does not know what to do with it, even at one year old cheesy

If he has any stubborn streak from either parent and refuses that bottle, save for forcefeeding him, there is nothing you can do. And even an African Mum is currently facing a long time in jail here because one of her child was rushed to the Hospital and died due to having being forcefed, whilst the other child was seized by Social services because it had a messed up digestive system solely caused by forcefeeding too.

Well, asides from expressing your breastmilk and storing it in the fridge, that is even if he would accept it from the bottle, cos my son didn't either, you might wanna wait till he is 4 months old to resume work cos at least by then, you could start introducing him to solids. Other than this, you would just have to turn a blind eyes to his cries, it might take a week or two, or he may never want it, awww poor baby crying for an hour, eeyah.
Re: How Do I Train My 3 Month Old Baby To Use A Bottle? by nat138: 8:47pm On May 25, 2011
Blank,

This baby seems to be a fighter o, and the bobo knows what he wants as well.
A lot of children these days are rejecting the bottles.
I will suggest you use the 'closer to nature' feeding bottle teats instead of the rubber ones.
That is if you have not tried it already. If you are presently using it or you try it and he refuses,
then that will be a hard nut to crack.

Another thing is be careful who looks after your baby when you start work, ensure the person is very neat and
careful because there is a tendency for expressed breast milk to become terminated if it is not well handled.
I don't know for how long you intend to breastfeed him exclusively for, but it may also help if you try to introduce
baby formula to him. You can never tell.

cheers
Re: How Do I Train My 3 Month Old Baby To Use A Bottle? by dayokanu(m): 11:33pm On May 25, 2011
Which male no like b00bie?
Re: How Do I Train My 3 Month Old Baby To Use A Bottle? by Busybody2(f): 8:16am On May 26, 2011
dayokanu:

Which male no like b00bie?

That true oh, when my son is hungry, he grabs at any females chest and starts wrestling them to commot their boobs grin I used to be embarassed before and would start eyeing him that he is a traitor, but people always say most boys do that when hungry and don't care if the breast they are fighting over is their Mum's, lol cheesy grin cheesy
Re: How Do I Train My 3 Month Old Baby To Use A Bottle? by dayokanu(m): 8:57am On May 26, 2011
When I saw thread title I thought he want to know how to use bottle on ppl, Like break bottle for ppl head

OP you should be happy, Your son cant be Gay cos he already like b00bie
Re: How Do I Train My 3 Month Old Baby To Use A Bottle? by MissIfe(f): 9:57am On May 26, 2011
@op : I had the same problem with my baby, though she was older at the time. There are a few things you can try to solve it :

- first, a baby will never starve himself to death ! You need to be convinced and full confident in the fact that your baby might fight against the bottle but he'd end up eating anyway because that's his survival instincts

- you should not be the one giving him the bottle. When you do, your baby smells the bosoms and can't accept the bottle since he knows what he really wants is nearby. I tried for about a week to make my baby accept the bottle before resuming work, I used to go to the bedroom while my husband would try to give her the bottle, it didn't work until I actually resumed work and left my baby with her caregiver. She was a very patient and loving nanny and after 3 days my baby started eating with the bottle peacefully. However, when I was around I still breastfed her, until she was about 12 months. That was when she started accepting the bottle from me.

- try out different teats size and material, your baby will find the one he likes. Don't choose one with a heavy flow, your baby is not used to it.

- Handle expressed breastmilk carefull, it can turn bad very fast, especially with hot weather. It shouldn't be boiled or put in microwave to warm, just put the bottle in warm water for a few minutes before giving it to the baby. Once the baby ate from it you have to throw the rest away.

-If it doesn't work, go out and let someone you trust handle the baby for a few hours. Some children tend to reverse their eating schedule when the mom works : they take more milk at night when mama is there (and can breastfeed) but just little daytime when she's away (and bottlefed). That can work too.

Good luck !
Re: How Do I Train My 3 Month Old Baby To Use A Bottle? by MrsSiena1(f): 10:24pm On May 26, 2011
I can understand where you are coming from we had the same issue with our lil one but this is what we did we tried changing her formula and also the teat of the bottle look for one that is close to the bosoms. I hope this helps
Re: How Do I Train My 3 Month Old Baby To Use A Bottle? by blank(f): 4:50pm On Jul 01, 2011
This has been a very trying time for my baby. Since i started work, almost a month now, he has cried daily whenever it is time to eat. He will squeeze his eyes tightly shut and yell at the top of his voice and waving his limbs around until he is finally weak and then eats a little. I have been so worried. He used to enjoy eating now he struggles to eat half of what he used to eat b4. I was so worried. I kept taking him to the hospital but they said just give him ORT and he will be okay. Well, he ate without the usual drama 4 d first time yesterday. My MIL played music for him and it calmed him sufficiently to eat. Now he eats and can't get enough of food that i have to supplement. Though his weight is not increasing as b4 but it is still increasing.

Thank you all, for your tips and suggestions. Its not easy at all.

(1) (Reply)

My Daughter Cannot Enter A House That Doesn't Have An Air Conditioner / HELP: I Have Just Been Told That My Fiance Is Married! How Can I Validate This / "Men Should Marry More Than One Wife!" - Kenyan MP's Solution to Prostitution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.