Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,200 members, 7,818,667 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:22 PM

Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan (19699 Views)

Beautiful Hausa /fulani Girls ....( Photos) / Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? / Kanuri People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan by Fulaman198(m): 9:05am On Feb 04, 2012
emöfine:

Thanks smiley

I've always wondered if it was just my imagination but the Fulani's in nature and temperament appear to be different in other West African countries as compared to Nigerian Fulani's (perhaps news coming from Nigeria overshadows the rest somewhat)

But if it's not my imagination at play or the media being skewed with the news do you have any idea why such difference in behaviours exists among the Fulani's in Nigeria as compared to other West African States?

How are the Fulani's in Nigeria viewed by other West African Fulani's? - I keep on thinking of the Sokoto Caliphate and the spread of Islam so I've always wondered if the Nigerian Fulani's were revered/respected in the region?

How do the Fulani's view the Hausa's, Kanuri's and Southerners?

I understand Islam plays a big role to Fulani's so I've wondered if Fulani traditional culture shares similarity with Islam?

Do you know the estimate number of Fulani's in Nigeria?

How close or brotherly are the Fulani's to each other from across West Africa i.e. how do the Fula's in Senegal receive their Fulani brothers in Nigeria etc?

P.S I hope none of my questions offends if so I do apologise, it wasn't intentional.

I think the whole temperament thing is blown out of proportion. There are kind and mean people in every ethnic group. I do not feel that we in Fulani in Nigeria are any different from other Fulani. We have a code we adhere to called Pulaagu. It's a way of life. To be a good Fulani, one must be modest, humble, always seeking knowledge and truth, but also to be brave.

The media likes to sometimes spoil the name of people who are mainly Muslim throughout the world. Fulani in Nigeria are viewed as brothers and sisters to other Fulani in other Fulani West African countries. In fact on facebook, there are many Fulani groups and we all get along great trying to adapt to each others slightly different dialects within the same language. Every year, there is a conference called KJPF (Kawtal Jangoobe Pulaar Fulfulde) in which all Fulani countries participate. In 2009, this event was hosted in Yola, Nigeria. Sometimes, it is hosted in Guinea, Senegal, etc.

One thing that surprised me though is that most Fulani thought that the Adamawa Fulfulde dialect was spoken only in Cameroon and not Nigeria, or they thought that the Adamawa Dialect was the only dialect spoken in Nigeria. What they fail to realize is that Nigeria has several Fulani dialects. A lot of other Fulani think that Nigerian Fulanis no longer speak the native tongue. To some extent they are correct (as aforementioned, the Fulani in the Northwest can't speak 1 kobo of Fulfulde). But we in the Northeast or we who originate in the North east can.

Fulani, Hausa, Kanuri all try to get along in Nigeria. I am not sure of Niger though, I listened to a song by Mamar Kassey that was in Fulfulde language and it discussed tensions between Hausa and Fulani people (because in some parts of Niger where the Hausa are mainly farmers, they feel as if the Nomadic Fulani ruin their farms so there is supposedly conflict).

I hear though in Niger the Wodaabe Fulani and non-nomadic Fulani do not really get along. I am not sure if this is true, I have not been to Niger to see how they react towards one another. If they react badly to each other, then that's a shame, because we are the same even if one is a nomad and the other is sedentary.

For me, I view Southerners with a lot of respect, in fact many Fulani do. Of course in every ethnic group, one will find people who choose to stay only with their ethnic group (this is prevalent everywhere in the world). But most Fulani are not like that. I could be wrong, but I think the Yoruba in some areas are the biggest offenders of this only giving great jobs to themselves.

in Nigeria, you will find Fulani with the best of jobs, and Fulani with the worst of jobs. That is why we have this Rimbe and Rimaybe class thing.

It is truly hard to estimate the amount of "ethnic" Fulani in Nigeria. As far as Fulani speakers go I would say between 3 and 4 million in Nigeria. But those who are ethnic Fulani maybe around 12 million? I am not sure as I could be wrong. That number includes all fulani people whether they can or can't speak the language.

If you want to have a good idea of Fulani culture, you must understand Puulagu. It is the very basis of Fulani culture as every Fulani from Senegal to Sudan practices it. The Wodaabe in Niger and Chad are not as Islamized as we are in Nigeria apparently. The thing about being a nomad is that you are constantly on the move and sometimes don't have time for deep prayer.

Fulani culture places a huge emphasis on music and being humble. You will often hear Nomads singing Herdsman songs and praising their cattle. The Cattle is the most important thing to the Fulani. Beauty is important to the Fulani. Having a beautiful inside and outside. Showing no fear is important, it takes a person with guts to herd cattle hundreds sometimes thousands of miles on a yearly basis.

I hope I addressed all your questions.

It is kind of odd how the richest man in Africa is a Fulani man (Dangote) and some of the poorest people in Africa are also Fulani.

1 Like

Re: Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan by emofine2(f): 9:59am On Feb 04, 2012
Fulaman198:

I think the whole temperament thing is blown out of proportion.  There are kind and mean people in every ethnic group.  I do not feel that we in Fulani in Nigeria are any different from other Fulani.  We have a code we adhere to called Pulaagu.  It's a way of life.  To be a good Fulani, one must be modest, humble, always seeking knowledge and truth, but also to be brave.

I was actually weary to ask that first question because I didn't know how to word it without offending some persons. And yes there are good and bad people everywhere.
Always seeking truth? truth of what kind? religious/spiritual?

Actually I used to wonder why the Fulanis in Nigeria were referred to as "Fulani" and the Senegalese for example often used the term "Peul" etc . .I intially thought it was due to the Hausa pronunciation because I've heard that Hausa people sometimes mix the "F" sound with the "P" sound.

The media likes to sometimes spoil the name of people who are mainly Muslim throughout the world.  Fulani in Nigeria are viewed as brothers and sisters to other Fulani in other Fulani West African countries.  In fact on facebook, there are many Fulani groups and we all get along great trying to adapt to each others slightly different dialects within the same language.  Every year, there is a conference called KJPF (Kawtal Jangoobe Pulaar Fulfulde) in which all Fulani countries participate.  In 2009, this event was hosted in Yola, Nigeria.  Sometimes, it is hosted in Guinea, Senegal, etc.

That's great. Has there ever been a Kawtal Jangoobe Pulaar Fulfulde conference hosted in Sudan?
Did you attend the one in Yola?

One thing that surprised me though is that most Fulani thought that the Adamawa Fulfulde dialect was spoken only in Cameroon and not Nigeria, or they thought that the Adamawa Dialect was the only dialect spoken in Nigeria.  What they fail to realize is that Nigeria has several Fulani dialects.  A lot of other Fulani think that Nigerian Fulanis no longer speak the native tongue.  To some extent they are correct (as aforementioned, the Fulani in the Northwest can't speak 1 kobo of Fulfulde).  But we in the Northeast or we who originate in the North east can.

Lol @ Northwest not even speaking 1 kobo of Fulfulde. Yeah I found it kinda strange that the conquerors ended up speaking the language of those who they subdued. Usually it's the other way around no matter how difficult or easy the language of the conqueror is.

Fulani, Hausa, Kanuri all try to get along in Nigeria.

I included Kanuri because I usually hear of the Hausa and Fulani's and they seemed like allies thus wondered how relations were like with the Kanuris.

For me, I view Southerners with a lot of respect, in fact many Fulani do.  Of course in every ethnic group, one will find people who choose to stay only with their ethnic group (this is prevalent everywhere in the world).  But most Fulani are not like that.

Oh so Fulanis intermingle? I've always assumed they were private and conservative people.

It is truly hard to estimate the amount of "ethnic" Fulani in Nigeria.  As far as Fulani speakers go I would say between 3 and 4 million in Nigeria.  But those who are ethnic Fulani maybe around 12 million? I am not sure as I could be wrong. That number includes all fulani people whether they can or can't speak the language.

That's a lot. I thought they'd number in the thousands even. Is the population of Fulanis in Nigeria one of the highest recorded for West Africa?

If you want to have a good idea of Fulani culture, you must understand Puulagu.  It is the very basis of Fulani culture as every Fulani from Senegal to  Sudan practices it.  The Wodaabe in Niger and Chad are not as Islamized as we are in Nigeria apparently.  The thing about being a nomad is that you are constantly on the move and sometimes don't have time for deep prayer.

I've been curious as to how the Wodaabe's especially will be viewed. They host male beauty pagenats so I've wondered if such event was looked down on by other Fulanis.

Fulani culture places a huge emphasis on music and being humble.

That's beautiful.
[Side Note:] Can griots be found in Northern Nigeria?

It is kind of odd how the richest man in Africa is a Fulani man (Dangote) and some of the poorest people in Africa are also Fulani.

Hmmm I've loosely considered this. By the way could you explain the Rimbe and Rimaybe class thing in further detail please.

I hope I addressed all your questions.

Yes you have, thanks. How does one say "thank you" in Fulfulde?

1 Like

Re: Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan by emofine2(f): 10:09am On Feb 04, 2012
DanKan0:

Might go Sudan this summer. For first hand information  cool cool

I plan on going to Sudan for first-hand info too but not this summer though.

If you do go this summer update us o tongue
Re: Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan by Fulaman198(m): 6:50pm On Feb 04, 2012
emöfine:

I was actually weary to ask that first question because I didn't know how to word it without offending some persons. And yes there are good and bad people everywhere.
Always seeking truth? truth of what kind? religious/spiritual?

Actually I used to wonder why the Fulanis in Nigeria were referred to as "Fulani" and the Senegalese for example often used the term "Peul" etc . .I intially thought it was due to the Hausa pronunciation because I've heard that Hausa people sometimes mix the "F" sound with the "P" sound.

That's great. Has there ever been a Kawtal Jangoobe Pulaar Fulfulde conference hosted in Sudan?
Did you attend the one in Yola?

Lol @ Northwest not even speaking 1 kobo of Fulfulde. Yeah I found it kinda strange that the conquerors ended up speaking the language of those who they subdued. Usually it's the other way around no matter how difficult or easy the language of the conqueror is.

I included Kanuri because I usually hear of the Hausa and Fulani's and they seemed like allies thus wondered how relations were like with the Kanuris.

Oh so Fulanis intermingle? I've always assumed they were private and conservative people.

That's a lot. I thought they'd number in the thousands even. Is the population of Fulanis in Nigeria one of the highest recorded for West Africa?

I've been curious as to how the Wodaabe's especially will be viewed. They host male beauty pagenats so I've wondered if such event was looked down on by other Fulanis.

That's beautiful.
[Side Note:] Can griots be found in Northern Nigeria?

Hmmm I've loosely considered this. By the way could you explain the Rimbe and Rimaybe class thing in further detail please.

Yes you have, thanks. How does one say "thank you" in Fulfulde?

It's ok, like I said not everyone gets angered easily, especially those of us in the younger generation, we are less irritable. Fulani is actually a Hausa word, we call ourselves Fulbe (2 or more Fulani), and Pullo for one Fulani. It is very possible the word "Peul" which is a French word for Fula came from the word "Pullo".

I did not attend the one in Yola but I wanted to, I was busy that entire week, some of my friends did. I have not heard of one hosted in Sudan as of yet. It is usually the highly populated countries where one finds Fulani that it is hosted (Nigeria, Guinea, Senegal, Gambia, Cameroon, etc.)

Fulani people do intermingle and it becomes more so prevalent when Fulani people live their home country.

HEHEHE no, Nigeria has the largest population of Fulani people in West Africa, but not the highest concentration. Guinea has a population that is 50%+ Fulani. So while we boast the highest number of Fulani people (given Nigeria's high population), we don't have the concentration % of Fulani that Guinea does. Griots can be found in the more rural areas of Northern Nigeria. Usually storytellers tell stories via Goge (Nyanyeeru) which is the 1 string Violin, Kontigi (Hoddu) which is a luth, or Ndandalu which is the Fulani flute. Fulani culture is for the most part the same in every Fulani country (or wherever Fulani are present).

I do not judge based on class but let me explain the class system (though it is more detailed than this):vill

Rimbe are the wealthy Fulani who seem to partake in Politics and are those who usually hold high positions and titles (Lamido, Ardo, Sultan of Sokoto). They are the wealthy Fulani.

Rimaybe are the village Fulani or the Nomadic Fulani, they herd cattle and don't settle at one place at any given time. They could care less about politics and sometimes don't even get along with Rimbe Fulani. They kind of view Rimbe Fulani as those who lost their way long ago. Rimaybe are more pure in my opinion.

In Niger, there is once a year this thing called Cure Salee (which is French for Salt Cure), this usually happens in September or so. Cure Salee usually also brings with it another major event for the Wodaabe Fulani called the Gerewol where they participate in a contest to show of their charms to women they may seek to make marriage partners. There are many dances done, and this celebration usually lasts for 1 week. Luckily this is a 1 time per year event. Wodaabe are looked down by other Fulani in Niger (so I hear) like the neighbouring Gowabe who actually speak a different dialect which is similar to the Fulani dialects spoken in Burkina Faso and Northern Dahomey (Benin). Wodaabe speak a dialect similar to the one we speak here in Nigeria (Cameroon, Chad, Sudan, Central African Republic). Understanding a Wodaabe Fulani for an Adamawa Fulani isn't too difficult.

To say thank you in Fulfulde you say: "Mi yetti" or you can say "Mi yetti ma" or you can say "Mi yetti derdam". Thanks a lot you say "Mi yetti sanne sanne"
Re: Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan by emofine2(f): 8:04pm On Feb 04, 2012
Fulaman198:

It's ok, like I said not everyone gets angered easily, especially those of us in the younger generation, we are less irritable.

cool

HEHEHE no, Nigeria has the largest population of Fulani people in West Africa, but not the highest concentration.  Guinea has a population that is 50%+ Fulani.  So while we boast the highest number of Fulani people (given Nigeria's high population), we don't have the concentration % of Fulani that Guinea does.

Yes this is how I used to rationalize such in my head - concentration vs population. But I had no idea Nigeria had the largest Fulani population in West Africa. I thought it will either be Senegal or Guinea in fact.

Griots can be found in the more rural areas of Northern Nigeria.

cheesy I admire the Griots. I used to think Griots were exclusive to a particular ethnic group in the Sahel i.e Wolof.

Fulaman198 thanks again for the information. It was very interesting. Mi yetti sanne sanne smiley
Re: Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan by Fulaman198(m): 12:42am On Feb 05, 2012
emöfine:

cool

Yes this is how I used to rationalize such in my head - concentration vs population. But I had no idea Nigeria had the largest Fulani population in West Africa. I thought it will either be Senegal or Guinea in fact.

cheesy I admire the Griots. I used to think Griots were exclusive to a particular ethnic group in the Sahel i.e Wolof.

Fulaman198 thanks again for the information. It was very interesting. Mi yetti sanne sanne smiley

HEHEHE Usseko derdam. (You're welcome my friend). Pre-colonial times many African societies used oral tradition through music. Music has always been a big part of Black African culture as well as Sahelian culture. Senegal and Guinea don't forget have around 12 million (Senegal) and Guinea (10) million people, so that's why they don't have as much Fulani as we do. Both countries boast several ethnic groups as well. Every West African country seem to have several ethnic groups.

cool

1 Like

Re: Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan by Tsiya(m): 7:57pm On Feb 05, 2012
The Fulbe in Nigeria face considerable challenge of identification because of the aggressive hausanization necessitated by domestication, lost of grazing land, intermarriage and lack of political will to promote indigenous languages.

In the North-Eastern Nigeria, particularly in Gombe, Yobe, and Bauchi a lot of Fulani had to abandon the nomadic life to urbanization because of the constant crises between farmers and cattle herders. Because of the population growth competition of fertile land led to massive ethnic crises in the late 90s and early 2000s when many Fulani were massacred by the army and police on the orders of the Bauchi, Gombe and Yobe states governments. I remember vividly then when fulani were being hunted even in local market days and accused of being bororo. There is this local hunter called Ali Kwara (a terrible bastard) in Bauchi state who the government gave contract to hunt down nomadic fulani in central and northern Bauchi State. This guy was instrumental to the genocidal extermination of large number of fulani in Bauchi State.
Re: Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan by Fulaman198(m): 8:02pm On Feb 05, 2012
Tsiya:

The Fulbe in Nigeria face considerable challenge of identification because of the aggressive hausanization necessitated by domestication, lost of grazing land, intermarriage and lack of political will to promote indigenous languages.

In the North-Eastern Nigeria, particularly in Gombe, Yobe, and Bauchi a lot of Fulani had to abandon the nomadic life to urbanization because of the constant crises between farmers and cattle herders. Because of the population growth competition of fertile land led to massive ethnic crises in the late 90s and early 2000s when many Fulani were massacred by the army and police on the orders of the Bauchi, Gombe and Yobe states governments. I remember vividly then when fulani were being hunted even in local market days and accused of being bororo. There is this local hunter called Ali Kwara (a terrible bastard) in Bauchi state who the government gave contract to hunt down nomadic fulani in central and northern Bauchi State. This guy was instrumental to the genocidal extermination of large number of fulani in Bauchi State.

Yah that's true, also what is wrong with being a Bororo? Not saying you are saying it is wrong, but I do not know why there are people who think being Bororo is bad (like government officials).
Re: Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan by Tsiya(m): 9:21pm On Feb 05, 2012
There is nothing wrong in being bororo. As far as I understand it is used to describe the 100% nomadic fulbe. Hausa, farmers and other 'domesticated' fulbe use it as a derogatory term to refer to other fulbe in villages and nomadic ones.

It is really a shame that the language is very fast disappearing. In places like Gombe, 20-30years ago Fulfulde was the most common language but now, unless in the smaller towns and villages, Fulfulde is fast disappearing.
Re: Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan by Fulaman198(m): 1:37am On Feb 06, 2012
Tsiya:

There is nothing wrong in being bororo. As far as I understand it is used to describe the 100% nomadic fulbe. Hausa, farmers and other 'domesticated' fulbe use it as a derogatory term to refer to other fulbe in villages and nomadic ones.

It is really a shame that the language is very fast disappearing. In places like Gombe, 20-30years ago Fulfulde was the most common language but now, unless in the smaller towns and villages, Fulfulde is fast disappearing.

I agree with you my brother
Re: Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan by Araboy(m): 12:21pm On Feb 07, 2012
Fula Fulani Fulbe are a group of people spread over many countries mostly in west Africa but also found in central

Africa and the region of Darfur in Sudan Fulani are minority in every country they live but in Guinea they represent

a plurality of the population (largest single group around 40% )

In West Africa francophone The french borrowed the wolof term Peul singular Pullo

A closely related group to Fulani is Toukouleur in the Senegal river valley (Futa) and southern Mauritania

Fulani are considered the Missionaries of Islam in Africa Usman Dan Fodio in Nigeria and Alhaji umar Tall in Senegal 

waged their "jihad" to convert many non Muslim Africans using the force of the sword in very controversy manners

Their status of warriors brought them to political dominance and control of many states in west Africa this include The

Fulani empire founded by Dan Fodio in Nigeria Futa djallon in Guinea and The Empire of Massina around the 

Senegalese River including Senegal Mali and the southern part of Mauritania  To be continued about Hausa Kanuri and

Shuwa Arab presence in Nigeria and Sudan
Re: Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan by emofine2(f): 3:55pm On Feb 07, 2012
Araboy:
To be continued about Hausa Kanuri and Shuwa Arab presence in Nigeria and Sudan

Merci beaucoup Monsieur. I patiently wait for the subsequent parts cool
Re: Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan by Fulaman198(m): 7:21pm On Feb 07, 2012
Araboy:

Fula Fulani Fulbe are a group of people spread over many countries mostly in west Africa but also found in central

Africa and the region of Darfur in Sudan Fulani are minority in every country they live but in Guinea they represent

In West Africa francophone The french borrowed the wolof term Peul singular Pullo

A closely related group to Fulani is Toukouleur in the Senegal river valley (Futa) and southern Mauritania

Fulani are considered the Missionaries of Islam in Africa Usman Dan Fodio in Nigeria and Alhaji umar Tall in Senegal 

waged their "jihad" to convert many non Muslim Africans using the force of the sword in very controversy manners

Their status of warriors brought them to political dominance and control of many states in west Africa this include The

Fulani empire founded by Dan Fodio in Nigeria Futa djallon in Guinea and The Empire of Massina around the 

Senegalese River including Senegal Mali and the southern part of Mauritania  To be continued about Hausa Kanuri and

The Toucouleur or the Tukulor are Fulani. They are just a sub-group of Fulani. They are the Fulani found in the Fouta Tooro region. They are now known as Haalpulaaren and they speak Fulani (after all, Haal means speak or speaker and Pulaar is the language, so it means speakers of Puular). Baaba Maal is an example of one of them. He is the most well-known Fulani musician.
Re: Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jun 25, 2012
Araboy: Fula Fulani Fulbe are a group of people spread over many countries mostly in west Africa but also found in central

Their status of warriors brought them to political dominance and control of many states in west Africa
this include The

Now this is interesting....
Re: Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan by Nobody: 6:53pm On Aug 20, 2013
Re: Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan by Nobody: 7:44pm On Aug 20, 2013
Re: Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jan 04, 2014
reset
Re: Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:12am On Jan 05, 2014
@OP, there are less than 3% Hausa in Sudan.

The majority are Arabs (not Baggara who are considered more African there than Arabs), Nubians, Bejawi, Copts, etc.
Nubian tribes may come under Arab as well. The major Sudanese Arab Tribes like Shaigiyah, Ja'alin, etc., are in fact Arabized Nubians.

The rest are Fura , Baggara ,etc.

Many Hausa go to Khartoum, etc., to study in the University, for business, etc.

Most Hausa there are quite recent migrants upto the past 80 years or so.
Re: Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:22am On Jan 05, 2014
DanKan0:

North West yes because thats the 'home' of Sokoto/Caliphate. It didnt spread to North East properly before British came. So 'Hausaziation' is less. As you know anybody can be 'Hausa' in Nigeria as long as you speak language and practice culture. Its not really an 'ethnicity' as such but rather an 'identitiy'. In fact 'Pure Hausa' I dont even think there is such anymore,  Maybe in Niger but even that is not orginal 'Hausa land'. To be honest I think theres actually more 'Fulani' than Hausa in Hausa-Fulani. Where the Fulanis not more back then? its just that Hausa language was adopted,

But when people say 'pure fulani' Im not sure what that means because to me the ones in other countries all have different looks even the rural ones. Fulani appears to be 'diverse' as well if you understand what Im saying,  Is it like Hausa where anbody could have been 'Fula' or what?

I disagree with this. Hausa is an ethnicity. "Hausaization" of the smaller tribes was not an ancient trend, but was infact fuelled by islamization in the Colonial times and in the last 50-70 years.

Most important Govt. positions, etc., were given to Hausa muslims by british authorities. Arewa was not as muslim as today. Most non Hausa/Kanuri/Fulani tribes were Pagan. The British tried and suceeded to create a distinct Muslim North at the expense of the minorities. This fuelled conversions for job opportunities , etc., especially among tribes such as the Dukawa, Bure, etc. islam and Hausa became synonymous, and Hausa language was also being encouraged in schools.

Suddenly it became a thing of high-social standing to be a mallam. As a result those people who converted would automatically become Hausaized. They even started living in separate compounds from their fellow kinsmen, etc.

The same trend is notice in Adamawa and Cameroon whereby being muslim is not just the religion, but becoming Fulani. Over there it is a trend of "Fulanization". Tribes like the Mandara Marghyii, etc., who once roamed the plains almost stark n.aked wearing nothing but goatskin dzar, gumbara and pizhi (male) have started dressing up like Fulanis. They have become muslim majority, with conversions being initiated from the 70's.

As for pure Hausa, they know themselves.

I can also identify by a pure Hausaman going by his looks.

Again most Hausas of farmer and hunter backgrounds are pure. The mixing occurs mostly in cities like Kano, Katsina, etc., but is absent in places like Niger, Gumel, Daura, etc.

Ironically, my people , the Maguzawa who are one of the purest variety have a significant population in Kano too.

1 Like

Re: Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 7:21am On Jan 05, 2014
DanKan0:

North West yes because thats the 'home' of Sokoto/Caliphate. It didnt spread to North East properly before British came. So 'Hausaziation' is less. As you know anybody can be 'Hausa' in Nigeria as long as you speak language and practice culture. Its not really an 'ethnicity' as such but rather an 'identitiy'. In fact 'Pure Hausa' I dont even think there is such anymore,  Maybe in Niger but even that is not orginal 'Hausa land'. To be honest I think theres actually more 'Fulani' than Hausa in Hausa-Fulani. Where the Fulanis not more back then? its just that Hausa language was adopted,

But when people say 'pure fulani' Im not sure what that means because to me the ones in other countries all have different looks even the rural ones. Fulani appears to be 'diverse' as well if you understand what Im saying,  Is it like Hausa where anbody could have been 'Fula' or what?

Your map is rubbish, no offence esp the part on Cameroun.
Who brought fulani in Garoua and maroua ? Lmao some people sef .

Abeg indigenous fulani stop in Adamaoua tho most of their grand parents are of Nigeria descent
Re: Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 7:35am On Jan 05, 2014
As for you op, learn to do your homework and avoir useless generalization denuded of sense like the = Christian or westernized.

I do not know what you mean by that, but there's is always a mischievous way to present the south as cultureless or white azz kisser . When the truth is the North is not only as westernized as the south but also arabized . And when looking @ nigeria and Cameroon history the people who have kissed westerners azz the most are the northerners. So painting them as more cultural or traditionalist is only laughable.
Re: Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 7:44am On Jan 05, 2014
Dividing the country along geographical and religious lines is plain stup1d sef . This can b easily proved with the like of middle belt, south south, core north.

@ topic i don't any sub Saharan African country which doesn't have an Hausa community
Re: Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan by Nobody: 6:24am On Feb 13, 2018
Baaballiyo Fulaman198

Just came across this topic.

She listed their total population in Sudan at 10 million. Sudanese Hausa list list their numbers as 5 - 10 million. Is there any way to verify these figures?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Benue Women Are Offered To Visitors As ''kola''. / An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria / Facebook User Lashes Out At People Who Condemn Rites Done By Ooni's Queen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.