Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,395 members, 7,815,849 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:26 PM

Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT (13403 Views)

FG Loses Out, NASS Affirms States’ Power To Collect VAT / Obaseki: "FG Printed 60 Billion Naira For States To Share" / PDP Governors Declare New Police Act Unconstitutional (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by Wisdomkosi(m): 5:48pm On Sep 16, 2021
BREAKING!!! Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT

By Wisdom Nwedene

Southern Nigeria Governors have declared their support for States to collect Valued Added Tax (Tax) instead of the Federal Inland Revenue Service, FIRS.

In a communique issued after their meeting in Enugu State on Thursday, the Southern Governors reaffirmed its earlier commitment to fiscal federalism as resolved at the inaugural meeting of the Forum held on Tuesday, 11th May 2021 at Asaba, Delta State and emphasized the need for the Southern States to leverage the legislative competence of their respective State Houses of Assembly as well as representation in the National assembly to pursue its inclusion in the Nigerian Constitution through the ongoing constitutional amendment.

The Southern Governors further said the meeting resolved to support the position that the collection of VAT falls within the powers of the States.

IGBERE TV recalls that Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike has been battling the issue of who ought to collect VAT with the Federal Inland Revenue Service, FIRS.

While Governor David Nweze Umahi of Ebonyi State declared support for Federal Government to collect VAT, the meeting held on Thursday saw the Southern Governors declaring support for Wike and Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu.

Other issues discussed during the meeting include,

1. Expressed satisfaction with the rate at which the States in the Southern Nigeria are enacting or amending the Anti- Open Grazing Laws which align with the uniform template and aspiration of Southern Governors and encouraged the States that are yet to enact this law to do so expeditiously.

2. Encouraged the full operationalization of already agreed regional security outfits; which would meet, share intelligence and collaborate, to ensure the security and safety of the region.

3. Reaffirmed its earlier commitment to fiscal federalism as resolved at the inaugural meeting of the Forum held on Tuesday, 11th May 2021 at Asaba, Delta State and emphasized the need for the Southern States to leverage the legislative competence of their respective State Houses of Assembly as well as representation in the National assembly to pursue its inclusion in the Nigerian Constitution through the ongoing constitutional amendment.

4. Following from paragraph “3” above, the meeting resolved to support the position that the collection of VAT falls within the powers of the States.

5. Expressed satisfaction with the handling of issues around the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA) and ownership of Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) by the larger Nigerian Governors’ Forum.

6. Reiterated their earlier position that the next President of Nigeria must come from the Southern part of Nigeria in line with politics of equity, justice and fairness.

7. The Forum thanked the host Governor, Rt. Hon. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, and chose Rivers State as the next host for the Southern Governors’ Forum meeting in November 2021.

Source : https://igberetvnews.com/1400423/breaking-southern-governors-declare-support-states-collect-vat/

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by alizma: 5:49pm On Sep 16, 2021
Way to go

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by Offpointng: 5:55pm On Sep 16, 2021
atimes the way forward is when you take three step backward and just try running from anything that explains constitution with a corrosive relationship

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by NwaNimo1(m): 6:03pm On Sep 16, 2021

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by SirBlack999(m): 6:06pm On Sep 16, 2021
Another melt down for Atiku on twitter.

No food for lazy man, or should I say, no VAT for no drunkard.
Baby steps, Nigeria is slowly being renegotiated.

I noticed the supreme court governor and the efulefu that calls himself Umahi weren't there.

71 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by SirBlack999(m): 6:11pm On Sep 16, 2021
Agwọ!! Agwọ!!!! Lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by Tranquill: 6:12pm On Sep 16, 2021
I counted 16 persons, I thought it's supposed to be seventeen so which state refused to attend? I also see some states sent their deputy govs.

7 Likes

Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by sigiyaya112: 6:34pm On Sep 16, 2021
I know that the 2 fulani slave and moles in Igbo land called (Supreme court) Governor Hope Uzodima and his partner Dave Umahi will never show face grin grin

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by seunaj: 6:34pm On Sep 16, 2021
This is the only way to make the North think and contribute to Nigeria. We are spending billions of VAT gathered mostly from the south to fight a needless war in the North thereby enriching the (majority northern) Generals in the army.
North don't like to pay for anything. They believe that Nigeria should give them everything including money to marry more wives.
The south work very hard and pay heavy tax
The North will now be going to Abuja and be reaping the fruit of the southern labor. Injustice!
Wike has opened our eyes
Well, If you don't believe my theory, ask any NEPA staff who has worked both in the South and in the North.

95 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by posty56: 6:34pm On Sep 16, 2021
Tranquill:
I counted 16 persons, I thought it's supposed to be seventeen so which state refused to attend? I also see some states sent their deputy govs.
uzodinma the foolish @$$licker.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by DropsMic(m): 6:35pm On Sep 16, 2021
Cool....

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by Kingspin(m): 6:35pm On Sep 16, 2021
One many ways to get back at Buhari and North for their atrocities on the nation and down South.

Starve them maybe terrorism reduces and every state become useful.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by MrTAnonymous(m): 6:35pm On Sep 16, 2021
A good way to restructuring

Incase you don’t know na me talk

13 Likes

Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by SpecialAdviser(m): 6:35pm On Sep 16, 2021
Enugu obodo oma

8 Likes

Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by Nobody: 6:35pm On Sep 16, 2021
Tranquill:

The Judas we all know , of course the Sarkin fulani of Imo state the supreme court governor Hopeless Amudinjo

20 Likes

Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by Ade3131: 6:35pm On Sep 16, 2021
Cool

1 Like

Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by Kingreess(f): 6:36pm On Sep 16, 2021
Interesting

1 Like

Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by recievesense: 6:36pm On Sep 16, 2021
lol
Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by Ibkhaleel001: 6:36pm On Sep 16, 2021
My 5 Takeaways from the VAT debate
For me, every situation provides a learning opportunity. The issues thrown up by the VAT debate have helped me to know what I didn't know before now.
Here are my takeaways or what I have learnt so far.
1. Headquarters Effect: I have never heard the phrase before. Now, I know what this means, thanks to the tax experts who have educated us on why Lagos holds the diadem as the biggest contributor to VAT revenue. Companies that have their Headquarters in Lagos with operations across the country remit all VAT collections through their head office in Lagos. A chunk of what is collected as VAT in Lagos are activities that took place outside Lagos. Revealing!

2. Derivation Principle: Like oil producing states that enjoy 13% derivation from proceed of oil production, 36 states plus FCT also enjoy 20% derivation from VAT proceeds before equality of states and population are factored into sharing formula. So, the oil producing states are not the only states enjoying derivation. Great to know!

3. VAT on Agricultural produce: By deliberate design of the Federal Government, VAT is not charged on some agricultural products to make food cheap and affordable. Pity!

4. Father Xmas FG: More than 50% of the VAT revenues are from imports via Customs, Port Authority and Federal government contracts across MDAs. The Federal government just collects its own money, take 15% and share 85% of total sum to states and local government. Plenty free lunch in Freetown still!

5. Ethnic Baiting Works: If you want to provoke popular sentiments to win support for any self-serving agenda in Nigeria, you don't need to be imaginative. Just say there is 'injustice' in Nigeria and that the resources of one part of the country is used to prop up the other part. Wait to see people whose states are sponging off Federal largese become emergency placard-carrying freedom fighters. Pathetic!

Anyway, make people calm down. Running a country is different from running a business. No part of Nigeria is useless. Every part is doing their bit. We only need to produce more and charge appropriate taxes across board. There's no parasite in this country only if you remove your bigotry glasses...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by C2020b: 6:37pm On Sep 16, 2021
Because it favor them
Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by BonaMagnate(m): 6:37pm On Sep 16, 2021
Gear 2.

If only men know the power in unity

2 Likes

Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by atheistandproud(m): 6:38pm On Sep 16, 2021
Supported

1 Like

Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by Timi45: 6:38pm On Sep 16, 2021
Great news
Southern governors speaking with unity

13 Likes

Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by BonaMagnate(m): 6:38pm On Sep 16, 2021
C2020b:
Because it favor them

No, because they want you to wake up. You are now a man. Fend for yourself, before you suckle them to death.

20 Likes

Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by seunayantokun(m): 6:39pm On Sep 16, 2021
That's good to hear!
Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by Kachikey(m): 6:39pm On Sep 16, 2021
Hmmmm we await the presidency on this matter....
Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by tuoyoojo(m): 6:39pm On Sep 16, 2021
I hope those guys in supreme court would not over turn the good thing these guys have started

1 Like

Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by MajorOvakporaye(f): 6:40pm On Sep 16, 2021
Since news like this started hitting front page, has gone into hiding. I saw his alternate moniker Udele1 not long ago. Shame no allow am use the known moniker

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by Xhuntra: 6:41pm On Sep 16, 2021
Ibkhaleel001:
[s]My 5 Takeaways from the VAT debate
For me, every situation provides a learning opportunity. The issues thrown up by the VAT debate have helped me to know what I didn't know before now.
1. Headquarters Effect: I have never heard the phrase before. Now, I know what this means, thanks to the tax experts who have educated us on why Lagos holds the diadem as the biggest contributor to VAT revenue. Companies that have their Headquarters in Lagos with operations across the country remit all VAT collections through their head office in Lagos. A chunk of what is collected as VAT in Lagos are activities that took place outside Lagos. Revealing!

2. Derivation Principle: Like oil producing states that enjoy 13% derivation from proceed of oil production, 36 states plus FCT also enjoy 20% derivation from VAT proceeds before equality of states and population are factored into sharing formula. So, the oil producing states are not the only states enjoying derivation. Great to know!

3. VAT on Agricultural produce: By deliberate design of the Federal Government, VAT is not charged on some agricultural products to make food cheap and affordable. Pity!

4. Father Xmas FG: More than 50% of the VAT revenues are from imports via Customs, Port Authority and Federal government contracts across MDAs. The Federal government just collects its own money, take 15% and share 85% of total sum to states and local government. Plenty free lunch in Freetown still!

5. Ethnic Baiting Works: If you want to provoke popular sentiments to win support for any self-serving agenda in Nigeria, you don't need to be imaginative. Just say there is 'injustice' in Nigeria and that the resources of one part of the country is used to prop up the other part. Wait to see people whose states are sponging off Federal largese become emergency placard-carrying freedom fighters. Pathetic!

Anyway, make people calm down. Running a country is different from running a business. No part of Nigeria is useless. Every part is doing their bit. We only need to produce more and charge appropriate taxes across board. There's no parasite in this country only if you remove your bigotry glasses[/s]...

Trash
Leeches and parasites

38 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by Hamiltonii: 6:42pm On Sep 16, 2021
Ibkhaleel001:

Anyway, make people calm down. Running a country is different from running a business. No part of Nigeria is useless. Every part is doing their bit. We only need to produce more and charge appropriate taxes across board. There's no parasite in this country only if you remove your bigotry glasses...

From your presentation, you are yet to know what you did not know before.

20 Likes

Re: Southern Governors Declare Support For States To Collect VAT by MajorOvakporaye(f): 6:44pm On Sep 16, 2021
Ibkhaleel001:

SHUT UP!!!

YOU ARE SAYING RUBBISH

20 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Senate Panel Clarifies Yahaya Muhammad's Age, Blames It On Typographical Error / 2023: Atiku Deny Using Peter Obi Image For Campaign / Calling For Coup In Nigeria Is An Abuse Of Freedom Of Speech - Reno Omokri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.