Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,481 members, 7,843,469 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 06:13 AM

Economist Magazine Article On Nigeria's Prospects - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Economist Magazine Article On Nigeria's Prospects (1083 Views)

Economist Magazine A Mockery Of True Journalism - Akinwunmi Ambode / Breaking News: The Economist Magazine Endorses Buhari / Nigeria’s Prospects For Defeating Boko Haram Look Bleak . A Must Read Analysis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Economist Magazine Article On Nigeria's Prospects by kulutempa: 6:16pm On May 26, 2011
The Economist has an article on Nigeria's prospects titled "A man and a morass". It asks whether Goodluck Jonathan can clean up corruption and allow entreprise to flourish in Nigeria. I have to say that it is a rather long article but enquiring minds can read it on the following link:
http://www.economist.com/node/18741606?story_id=18741606&fsrc=rss

There are some eyebrow raising sections in the article like this one:

The problem is not simply one of embezzlement and bribery. The entire state machinery exists to siphon off cash. Many functions of government have been adapted for personal gain. It starts at the frontier. Access to the fast-track channel at Lagos airport can be bought from touts for $10. Border guards in cahoots with them work extra slowly to make this option more attractive.

And this one:

It is hard to exaggerate Nigeria’s power-poverty. The seventh-most-populous country in the world, and its seventh-biggest oil exporter, has as much grid power as Bradford, a post-industrial town in the north of England. Nigeria is the world’s biggest market for private generators; many middle-class homes have one, but small businesses can rarely afford them.

Do you think the article is a hatchet job on Nigeria, or is it the bitter truth about our problems, and possible solutions? You be the judge. Let's have your comments.
Re: Economist Magazine Article On Nigeria's Prospects by ektbear: 6:17pm On May 26, 2011
I was just about to post it, lol

Nice article though
Re: Economist Magazine Article On Nigeria's Prospects by ektbear: 6:35pm On May 26, 2011
BTW, I remember we had a discussion on NL the other day about fuel subsidies. This article strongly suggests that nearly all the benefit goes to the rich  undecided

To change the system, Mr Jonathan would have to break with his backers. That is difficult, perhaps even dangerous. For instance, a mafia that embezzles vast fuel subsidies is said to be a big contributor to his campaign. The government spends more than $4 billion a year to sell fuel at less than half the already low American price. (Since Nigeria has no domestic refining capacity—billions allocated to repair its facilities were squandered—the fuel must be bought on international markets.) The president’s backers routinely falsify bills of lading, inflating the amount of fuel imported fivefold, then collect the government subsidy on all of it, and finally smuggle the fuel to a neighbouring country to sell at double or triple the price. Mr Jonathan, of course, did not personally take their money. But if he goes after them their cronies may stop co-operating.
Re: Economist Magazine Article On Nigeria's Prospects by kulutempa: 7:11pm On May 26, 2011
I have always taken the view that Nigeria is not a country but a collection of powerful vested interests and that is basically the thrust of the article. The only person who can change Nigeria is a silent assassin, who pretends to be part of the mafia, and then calls in the cops when he gets into power. Could Jonathan be that person? My heart says yes, but my head says NO. I hope and pray my heart is right.
Re: Economist Magazine Article On Nigeria's Prospects by dustydee: 7:19pm On May 26, 2011
^^^ you are right. I hope we get that kind of leader some day who will look corruption in the face and say"Go to HELL". I don't think we have that kind of leader yet. I hope am wrong. sad
Re: Economist Magazine Article On Nigeria's Prospects by ektbear: 7:24pm On May 27, 2011
I really wonder how much business occurs in Onitsha a day

I sort of regret that I've never visited the SE before to see what goes on there

(1) (Reply)

Fear Of Boko Haram: Kwara Parents Begs Gov. Ahmed To Recall Children Serving In / 2-year Rent Banned In Lagos, Assembly Passes Tenancy Law / Lagos-ibadan Expressway (Death Trap) - Aug29 Bi-Courtney Replies - Is It True

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.