Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,393 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:18 PM

Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? (24760 Views)

Economic Hardship: Two Women Fight At Bank ATM (video) / Does ATM Swallow Card In Abroad? / Mad Man Spotted At First Bank ATM, Abaji (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by Richdee1(m): 6:18pm On Sep 24, 2021
...was on my way to cast my vote for the candidate of my choice. Today was the SUG elections of my Great Citadel of Learning (UNIBEN). After standing on the queue for over 20mins at main gate, it got to my turn, slot in my ATM card and that's how it refused to load.
I stood there feeling lost and hopeless while I had other things to do in school.

I just annoying abandoned it there after waiting over 30mins. I wonder why this happens everytime.
Is this a curse placed on several Bank ATM Or it's a technical Fault from the Machine?

4 Likes

Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by lascos912(m): 8:49pm On Sep 24, 2021
Atm is hungry

79 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by OG1BABY(f): 12:27am On Sep 25, 2021
System malfunction I guess

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by Great100000: 1:49am On Sep 25, 2021
Me sef don't know
Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by Ope101(m): 3:14am On Sep 25, 2021
*Tampered card
*Faulty card reader
*sometimes when people insert wrong pin more than x3

129 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by Nobody: 6:55am On Sep 25, 2021
They are hungry grin lol..

Very funny and reminds me of a particular day like that (over 5 yrs now). The ATM was just swallowing people's cards and the wicked thing the guys there did, they didn't warn other people coming that the ATM has gone crazy that day. So after inserting your card, they'll start laughing.

Meanwhile my sis and I were on another very long queue and as a smart girl, I sensed what was happening. Later my sis couldn't wait In the long line and said she'll go and use the vacant one. I tried to warn her but she said she'll try; provided it's her bank, no shaking.

Immediately she inserted her card, the thing swallowed it. I burst Into laughter.
The security guy now made me laugh even more. He brought a broom stick and tried to use it to pull out the cards. I now asked him, "oga, you wan give am toothpick too"? Hahahahaaaa.... I will never forget that day.

264 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by iamyemiakins(m): 7:37am On Sep 25, 2021
Mercychen:
They are hungry grin lol..

Very funny and reminds me of a particular day like that (over 5 yrs now). The ATM was just swallowing people's card but the wicked thing they guys there did, they didn't warn other people coming that the ATM has gone crazy that day. So after inserting your vard, they'll start laughing.

Meanwhile my sis and I were on another very long queue and as a smart girl, I sense what was happening. Later my sis couldn't wait I'm the long line and said she'll go and use the vacant one. I tried to warn her but she said, she'll try especially as it's her bank, no shaking.

Immediately she inseriher card, the thing swallowed it. I burst Into laughter.
The security guy now made me laugh even more. He brought a broom stick and tried to use it to pull out the cards. I now asked him, oga, you wan give am toothpick too? Hahahahaaaa.... I will never forget that day.
grin grin grin

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by DoggoneDogg: 8:56am On Sep 25, 2021
Cuz its hungry
Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by Adekunle813: 9:20am On Sep 25, 2021
That thing is always annoying

I hope you don't be like this after today @OPcheesy

4 Likes

Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by harmargedon: 9:21am On Sep 25, 2021
When it senses something fishy.

5 Likes

Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by id4sho(m): 11:40am On Sep 25, 2021
shocked
Snake swallow money na ATM shock you!

3 Likes

Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by Jazzman01: 11:40am On Sep 25, 2021
The machine swallows card because of security reasons. It has been designed to act that way whenever it notices something fishy about the transaction.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by FactBoyz: 11:40am On Sep 25, 2021
angry
Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by DissTroy(m): 11:41am On Sep 25, 2021
While there is a technical explanation, I saw a meme somewhere where someone stated bank ATMs swallow money because they are bad girls and bad girls like to swallow whole.

The hilarity when it dawns on you needs no further explanation.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by A305: 11:41am On Sep 25, 2021
Sequel to OP's story. I had a funny experience in the same UNIBEN, tragi-comedy some will say.

I remember vividly back in UNIBEN, I was in 100 level at the time. I had lecture at BASEMENT ( POL 111 — a collective course at the time), Due to no cash at the Access bank and Stanbic bank ATM around faculty car park, I had to trek under the hot sun enroute June12 (ATMs at June 12 weren't installed then) - hall 2 - back of library extension until I arrived at the UBA ATM just opposite the main library building.

I was exhausted and hungry because I began my trekking from Ekosodin where I lived at the time, On my unfortunately arrival, i met a long queue at the UBA ATM and keep in mind, Bread and beans at booker was the only thing on my mind so I needed the money badly.

Picture me as number 15 just joining the queue — I didn't mind as I found solace in the bread and beans that money was going to after withdrawal.

E be like say na pidgin go make sense to use now.

So as the queue dey move slowly and hungry dey wire me, e just be like say make I break the atm commot the money go chop as network just slow finish, one person fit use 5 minutes take withdraw 1k due to slow network.

As e be say, e wan reach my turn as the second person to withdrawal after this guy wey dey my front, one fine babe just show, the girl fine finish, no be lie and come fresh, Na so the mumu guy whey dey in front of me come activate him simp button come dey yearn say, na him and the babe come and the babe dey him back, which I know say na lie, he just wan chance me base on say, him na strong man (confra) and me na100 level student whey no get level.

Na so de rest people for queue come dey protest, the guy insist say, the babe go withdraw base on say, they come together, which na lie he dey lie. The babe just dey smile.

Na so my guy use like 5 minutes withdraw him money, the fine babe come take my second place to wan withdraw, as she slot in her card. ATM swallow am come off join.

Na so everyone for the queue just dey laugh as the guy dey form "elect-elect" electrician for ATM machine wey don off. Everybody clear but na with laugher we use clear comot.

Hunger wire me till I leg am reach main gate go withdraw but anytime I remember that day, I still dey laugh cus na my card that ATM suppose swallow.

81 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by BruncleZuma: 11:41am On Sep 25, 2021
Because they're hungry; on a serious note, it's a security feature/bug (flaw) in most ATM design. Poor maintenance/parts replacement of the retractors.

4 Likes

Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by NaughtyBrainiac: 11:41am On Sep 25, 2021
Several reasons

1. When wrong card pin is entered 3 times

2. A Damaged card

3. If the ATM card reader malfunctions

4. Network issues

5. Power outage

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by Pinkyposh(f): 11:41am On Sep 25, 2021
ATM machine need food to be able to function

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by inoki247: 11:42am On Sep 25, 2021
And why do they always break another bank card..

if the card no b ur bank own why not tell me to provide my ID nd give me bak my ATM card why destroy it..

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by Enddy50ty(m): 11:42am On Sep 25, 2021
System glitch..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by Marvyx(m): 11:42am On Sep 25, 2021
I don't know but all I know is that Ecobank is the most useless bank in Nigeria.

26 Likes

Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by IKBARUTEN11(m): 11:42am On Sep 25, 2021
A
Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by FalseOracle50: 11:42am On Sep 25, 2021
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by MARKone(m): 11:43am On Sep 25, 2021
Na
Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by TOPCRUISE(m): 11:43am On Sep 25, 2021
Most ATM are fraud. I have been victim 3 times. They just swallow the thing. Just have transport fare at hand if you want to use it.

3 Likes

Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by Bornsinner7: 11:43am On Sep 25, 2021
Here for the comments
Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by DropsMic(m): 11:43am On Sep 25, 2021
Following
Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by Deltafirstson(m): 11:43am On Sep 25, 2021
And to make matter worse if it happens to be another ATM card with another bank, that's end of it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by bigdammyj: 11:43am On Sep 25, 2021
Why?

54% Lack of maintenance from the Bank

45% Technical error from the card owner,

1% Village people

4 Likes

Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by MrNipplesLover(m): 11:43am On Sep 25, 2021
The brain operating an ATM is drawn from female anatomy.

They like to dey swallow even when they know you're not in mood.

They are used to it.

Anytime an ATM swalllows your card, just yell at it like this: "bitch, give me back my stuff, I ain't in for your swalllow!"

watch the magic that happens immediately.

I hail u, bro.

4 Likes

Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by BIGGIE121(m): 11:44am On Sep 25, 2021
Inputting wrong password and service
Re: Why Does Bank ATM Swallow Cards? by BigDawsNet: 11:44am On Sep 25, 2021
grin. Some card has been flagged by banks...

So when you make transaction on ATMs...it has been programmed to seize them

Sometimes when the embedded microchip along with the traditional magnetic stripe on your card is damaged or failing...the ATM sensor may swallow your card because it has failed to read your card...

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerians In UK Sent More Money To Nigeria Than Any Other Country / Planned Kidnappers Of Femi Otedola Arrested (Photos) / Tony Elumelu Poses With His Staff At Heir Holdings Culture Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.