Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,524 members, 7,819,886 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure (14140 Views)

Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) / Tips To Avoid Engine Failure / How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure by emmaobi2(m): 10:52am On Sep 28, 2021
AllahThePig:
It contains platinum which is a very expensive metal, almost as expensive as gold. Many mechanics dey even steal catalytic converters.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure by tammie24: 11:06am On Sep 28, 2021
aylive02:
and a real nigga will have to blow his savings to get it repaired
grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure by Kelvin30286063(m): 11:15am On Sep 28, 2021
chloride6:

Did you use the same the exact same spacer in your wife's Lexus ES350.

No, bought pair for each cars on Amazon
Re: How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure by techWriter3: 11:18am On Sep 28, 2021
and a real homie will do to deathblow his cost to going it mended
Re: How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure by InvertedHammer: 11:21am On Sep 28, 2021
GAZZUZZ:
what to do when you have been diagnosed with a failing/blocked catalyst?

Replace or gut the catalyst.

Gutting the catalyst means taking out the contents and leaving it empty.

At this point pls note your catalyst is still valuable even if it is blocked. Ensure you bag it up and take it with you grin

You could make as much as ₦30,000-₦150,000 on those defective catalytic converters wink

In this economic times be smart

/
Theft of catalytic converters is very rampant in US.
Usually the thieves target vehicles with good clearance from the ground like trucks and SUVs. They slip under such vehicles, saw it off and disappear. How they do it without being caught remains a mystery.
To replace it (them, some vehicles have up to 4) on some European vehicles (Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, etc) are very expensive.

/

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure by femi4: 11:21am On Sep 28, 2021
GAZZUZZ:
Finally some vehicles tend to be super sensitive to bad fuel and abuse, E.g the Hondas, the Ford's, the mercerdes. These are very unforgiven cars. Their catalytic converters clogg up real quick when exposed to abuse.
I know Honda will be there....very sensitive
Re: How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure by Adexsammie: 11:30am On Sep 28, 2021
How do I know if the catalytic converter is still present in the car?

2 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure by neutralmind: 11:41am On Sep 28, 2021
Okay
Re: How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure by chux4liv(m): 12:09pm On Sep 28, 2021
grin grin grin, No time for rubbish here, if my car develop any of the listed sign(s), I just take it to the dealer and swap for latest brand new car. Naija needs to step up their game, allow car manufacturers have enough plants/ dealers to sell on credit and compete in your economy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure by chloride6: 12:33pm On Sep 28, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

No, bought pair for each cars on Amazon

Exactly...
Re: How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure by streetsoldier1(m): 1:12pm On Sep 28, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

First you clean your catalytic converter container before using this. This is only an attempt to deceive your ECU so it won't throw up O2 sensor warning and bring up check engine light. It works in some cars, doesn't work in some. It didn't work in my 2012 Acura TL but it worked in my wife's 2008 Lexus Es350

Will this work for peugeot 407 ? seems i have this issue
Re: How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure by gonkin(m): 1:23pm On Sep 28, 2021
Already did a cat delete and an egr valve delete
Also clutch fan delete . My mpg improved
Re: How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure by Kelvin30286063(m): 1:41pm On Sep 28, 2021
streetsoldier1:

Will this work for peugeot 407 ? seems i have this issue
It should work. I've not tested on that but it should definitely work
Re: How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure by Kelvin30286063(m): 1:46pm On Sep 28, 2021
Adexsammie:
How do I know if the catalytic converter is still present in the car?
How to know if your catalytic converter is bad
Sudden drop in fuel efficiency (only if it's blocked)
Failure to accelerate when you press on the gas.
Vehicle won't start (if its blocked).
Failed emissions test (O2 sensor).
Check Engine light is on.
Rotten egg smell.

How to your catalytic converter is stolen
You may not be able to tell your catalytic converter was stolen by looking at your car, but you will know as soon as you start the engine. When the catalytic converter has been removed, your vehicle will make a loud roaring sound that will get louder as you push the gas pedal

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure by Tinyemeka(m): 2:07pm On Sep 28, 2021
angry

Catalytic converter.

One of the very first parts stolen from your car, when you leave the vehicle beyond a day at the mechanic's workshop.
Re: How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure by otokx(m): 2:30pm On Sep 28, 2021
With the coming of electric cars all these will soon be a thing of the past.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure by valarinz: 11:46pm On Sep 28, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

How to know if your catalytic converter is bad
Sudden drop in fuel efficiency.
Failure to accelerate when you press on the gas.
Vehicle won't start (of its clogged).
Failed emissions test (O2 sensor).
Check Engine light is on.
Rotten egg smell.

How to your catalytic converter is stolen
You may not be able to tell your catalytic converter was stolen by looking at your car, but you will know as soon as you start the engine. When the catalytic converter has been removed, your vehicle will make a loud roaring sound that will get louder as you push the gas pedal

Almost all your points are debatable, don't want to just say "false" or "not exactly correct", so we keep it civilized - "debatable"

grin
Re: How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure by Timblogga: 2:04am On Sep 29, 2021
gonkin:
Already did a cat delete and an egr valve delete
Also clutch fan delete . My mpg improved
cat delete makes a car faster tho. Did it to my Camry V6 after it got clogged up and killed my first engine to the extent it lost compression after the Cat was removed. Instead of ringing the engine I bought half engine. Please what’s egr valve for clutch fan I guess it has to do with Manual cars? I love how the car performance is higher without cat, but I’m looking for how to reduce the fuel consumption.
Re: How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure by funkymeky: 7:40am On Sep 29, 2021
Amono:
Gazzuzz! Nice one

Now that the catalytic converter is blocked, will these mini catalytic converter s work after gutting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVZ54HIKbkc

Please where did you get this and how much ?
Re: How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure by funkymeky: 7:45am On Sep 29, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

First you clean your catalytic converter container before using this. This is only an attempt to deceive your ECU so it won't throw up O2 sensor warning and bring up check engine light. It works in some cars, doesn't work in some. It didn't work in my 2012 Acura TL but it worked in my wife's 2008 Lexus Es350

Please where did you get this and how much. Would love to get one for Lexus ES350
Re: How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:55am On Sep 29, 2021
Re: How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure by obidaddy: 4:00pm On Sep 30, 2021
Kelvin30286063:
Gazzuzz to the world. Nice advice bro.
I'll like to advice that you don't use recognized songs as background for your YouTube videos. Many of your videos will get flagged for copyright infringement and it will also affect your adsense approval later if you want to monetize your videos

Nice advice.
Re: How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure by Kelvin30286063(m): 4:11pm On Sep 30, 2021
funkymeky:

Please where did you get this and how much. Would love to get one for Lexus ES350
It's on Amazon and Aliexpress. Gazzuzz on Nairaland also sells. The person that made this post.
Re: How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure by gonkin(m): 8:08am On Oct 01, 2021
Timblogga:
cat delete makes a car faster tho. Did it to my Camry V6 after it got clogged up and killed my first engine to the extent it lost compression after the Cat was removed. Instead of ringing the engine I bought half engine. Please what’s egr valve for clutch fan I guess it has to do with Manual cars? I love how the car performance is higher without cat, but I’m looking for how to reduce the fuel consumption.

Too bad cars are more modern. My vehicle is 1992 and uses an AFM not MAF. So i can actually adjust the feedback resistance sent to the ecu.
Re: How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure by RaynRoyal: 4:28pm On Oct 04, 2021
Good day sir,
Please i need your advice on what engine oil to buy for my Mitsubisgi galant 2009 car. Thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

Range Rover Sport Vs Infiniti FX 35 / Elon Musk Set To Launch His Tesla Roadster To Mars On SpaceX Heavy Lift Rocket / Jaguar Unveil It's 1st Ever Electric Car,The 395bhp I-Pace With A 298-Mile Range

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.