Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,762 members, 7,817,104 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:48 AM

Us Government To Partner With Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Us Government To Partner With Lagos (3141 Views)

My Experience With Lagos State Govts. Flood Helpline / My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police / Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Us Government To Partner With Lagos by ektbear: 5:54pm On May 28, 2011
US to expand business interest in Nigeria
FRIDAY, 27 MAY 2011 17:05 JOSHUA BASSEY   

United States of America (USA) ambassador to Nigeria Terence McCulley says the success recorded in Nigeria’s general elections has boosted her international rating and the US business community looks towards expanding its business interest in the country. He also mentioned the readiness of the US to partner with the Lagos State government in the area of job creation, improved security and the fight against the HIV/AIDS scourge.

McCulley, who spoke with journalists shortly after a closed-door meeting with Governor Babatunde Fashola at the State House, Ikeja, said the US’ decision to partner Lagos is informed by the strategic position of the state in sub-Saharan Africa.

He said the United States is encouraged by the fact that democracy is taking its root in Nigeria as evidenced by the recent elections which he described as “one of the freest in Nigeria’s history.”

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/76-hot-topic/22178-us-to-expand-business-interest-in-nigeria
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by ektbear: 5:55pm On May 28, 2011
This is a partnership/alliance that I welcome.

Related article on PM News: http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2011/05/27/gov-fashola-receives-us-ambassador-to-nigeria/
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by PapaBrowne(m): 6:48pm On May 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

US to expand business interest in Nigeria
FRIDAY, 27 MAY 2011 17:05 JOSHUA BASSEY   

United States of America (USA) ambassador to Nigeria Terence McCulley says the success recorded in Nigeria’s general elections has boosted her international rating and the US business community looks towards expanding its business interest in the country. He also mentioned the readiness of the US to partner with the Lagos State government in the area of job creation, improved security and the fight against the HIV/AIDS scourge.

McCulley, who spoke with journalists shortly after a closed-door meeting with Governor Babatunde Fashola at the State House, Ikeja, said the US’ decision to partner Lagos is informed by the strategic position of the state in sub-Saharan Africa.

He said the United States is encouraged by the fact that democracy is taking its root in Nigeria as evidenced by the recent elections which he described as “one of the freest in Nigeria’s history.”

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/76-hot-topic/22178-us-to-expand-business-interest-in-nigeria

Very interesting!! All the international media I've read- WSJ, Economist, Bloomberg, Time, are so optimistic after what they term "the best election" Nigeria has witnessed. Yet some people wanted us to believe that we had flawed elections!!!
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by playmode(m): 7:01pm On May 28, 2011
PapaBrowne:

Very interesting!! All the international media I've read- WSJ, Economist, Bloomberg, Time, are so optimistic after what they term "the best election" Nigeria has witnessed. Yet some people wanted us to believe that we had flawed elections!!!

Keep deceiving yourself,we had a flawed presidential election.Try to be honest and admit it.Jonathan would have won without the rigging but his people still rigged him in so no dignity in his victory because it is a total scam.

I am not surprised that the US Government wants to partner with Lagos.They are wolves in sheep's clothing even their own citizen do not trust them.Now that Lagos has a great leader they want to do "attache" . All these years that Nigeria has be going to the dumps where were they? Nowhere except in the ND where they were polluting and killing innocent villagers.The are same folks who went to meet with IBB a known criminal in residence to encourage him to contest.Funny how Nigerians have a short memory.

The US Government remains the biggest threat to Nigeria's development ,the sooner we realize that the better.The US has been our puppet master for many decade and our country never progressed during those years.Now that the Chinese are here building factories and creating jobs they want to partner with Lagos.Soon you will hear they are offering big loans to Fashola to help him complete big project just like offered IBB loans through IMF to ruin our Nation.

Fashola better stay on his toes and watch them with keen eyes.They are only interested in Lagos because they want to closely monitor the activities of the Chinese in the Lekki Free Trade zone.They have been planning this for years ,the elections just gave them a believable excuse to invade Lagos.They wont build any factories or create jobs for lagosians but be rest assured that will offer loans and even offer to train LASG officials.

Please show me one African Country that has benefited anything from the US Government in terms of development? Wherever they go ,they cause , sorrow ,tears and blood,it is their regular trade mark.
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by bkbabe97y(m): 7:03pm On May 28, 2011
PapaBrowne:

Do you know the meaning of "Best", "witnessed" and "flawed"?!

No?

Ok, grab a Merriam-Webster and check out the meaning of "Truth", "Rigging" and "Platitude/Placate".

Also, check out "Insane", cus u definitely got something wrong upstairs!
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by ektbear: 7:04pm On May 28, 2011
@playmode: Never been sold on this anti-Americanism of yours. . . they look out for themselves #1, but that doesn't mean we cannot find something mutually beneficial.

Life isn't a zero-sum game.

In any case, we don't really have a choice. We need the investment to create jobs and spur growth
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by aljharem3: 7:05pm On May 28, 2011
PapaBrowne:

dumb dumb dumb

dumb dumb

stu.pid grin grin grin
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by playmode(m): 7:14pm On May 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

@playmode: Never been sold on this anti-Americanism of yours. . . they look out for themselves #1, but that doesn't mean we cannot find something mutually beneficial.

Life isn't a zero-sum game.

In any case, we don't really have a choice. We need the investment to create jobs and spur growth

Ok bro ,think about this for second. Which country on African soil has ever benefited from direct American investments?

Which country on African soil have Americans directly created Jobs for the masses?

The best the US has done on African soil is to offer Green Card lotteries which they use to ship Africans brains away from Africa.

The USA depends on Africa's resources to survive.If all African countries develop like china ,the USA will find it hard to stand on its feet.So the US Government's ultimate Goal is to endure that Africa remain behind the rest of the world so they continue to pillage its resources and continue their economic terrorism against African countries.China already owns too many US bonds so the only way to keep china is  check is to slow down their expansion into Africa.If China gain total control of Africa ,the USA will be in big trouble and may result to war to save its nation.

It is their Africom agenda that they pushing right now to stay ahead of China in Africa.Many countries have rejected the Africom offer ,only Nigeria and a few other countries are toying with idea.

I said a few weeks ago that when the Americans get desperate they will organize a false flag attack on Nigerian soil that will make us Nigerians cry for their help and enable them bring their base in to Nigeria.I wish i could reveal something here to you but unfortunately i can't.Trust me on this Americans partnering will Lagos has nothing to do with development but militarized partnership.Just keep watching ,soon you will catch on to what they are really up to.

I am not Anti -American ,i am Anti-US Government.It is their Government that i seriously dislike and i am not a Muslim or a religious fanatic ,i just happen to have some very scary information about these people if you were to see it,your heart would run cold.All i am saying is Fashola should be alert and any loans from them is a no no!
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by ektbear: 7:38pm On May 28, 2011
^-- Fashola is looking for investment. Electricity, factories, etc. Not loans
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by EkoIle1: 7:59pm On May 28, 2011
This is very puzzling, these world leaders obviously sabi something we don't, they've been vising Fashola left and right lately.

The Foreign Press are talking about him, diplomats and world leaders are visiting and singing his praise.

Sometimes it feels like Fashola is the president of Nigeria.
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by aljharem3: 8:02pm On May 28, 2011
Eko Ile:

This is very puzzling, these world leaders obviously sabi something we don't, they've been vising Fashola left and right lately.

The Foreign Press are talking about him, diplomats and world leaders are visiting and singing his praise.

Sometimes it feels like Fashola is the president of Nigeria.

man u are exaggeration

but 2015 it is fashola for president or no other Insha Allah
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by EkoIle1: 8:10pm On May 28, 2011
alj_harem:

man u are exaggeration

but 2015 it is fashola for president or no other Insha Allah

Instead of of your exaggeration talk, why don't just prove me wrong that the Foreign Press is not talking about him and diplomats and foreign leaders are not talking about him and singing his praise.

2015 is just talk, it's up to Fashola to decide.
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by dempeople(m): 8:12pm On May 28, 2011
alj_harem:

man u are exaggeration

but 2015 it is fashola for president [size=14pt]or no other[/size] Insha Allah

Do I sense a fear of Ndigbo here? We'll see how that goes. Fashola is a good candidate and I'll support him if there isn't any other more credible candidate.

BTW, stop quoting our Creator disrespectfully when you want to put your points across.
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by aljharem3: 8:18pm On May 28, 2011
Eko Ile:

Instead of of your exaggeration talk, why don't just prove me wrong that the Foreign Press is not talking about him and diplomats and foreign leaders are not talking about him and singing his praise.

2015 is just talk, it's up to Fashola to decide.

yeah its up to him
dem_people:

Do I sense a fear of Ndigbo here? We'll see how that goes. Fashola is a good candidate and I'll support him if there isn't any other more credible candidate.

BTW, stop quoting our Creator disrespectfully when you want to put your points across.

what fear are u talking about again undecided

fear of ndigbo for what na, why should i be fearful of ndigbo

moreover which other candidate, please kindly share the name with me

BTW, WHERE DID I QUOTE THE CREATOR, all i said was "fashola 2015 or no other , by the grace of God(insha Allah)"

please don't quote if u are not sure of the information being passed across
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by EkoIle1: 8:24pm On May 28, 2011
lol @ fear of the ibo. ibo people can't even scare common cockroach
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by dempeople(m): 8:31pm On May 28, 2011
alj_harem:

yeah its up to him
what fear are u talking about again undecided

fear of ndigbo for what na, why should i be fearful of ndigbo

moreover which other candidate, please kindly share the name with me

BTW, WHERE DID I QUOTE THE CREATOR, all i said was "fashola 2015 or no other , by the grace of God(insha Allah)"

please don't quote if u are not sure of the information being passed across

Maybe the fear of Ndigbo is the beginning of wisdom.  wink (Let me paraphrase your other thread).

But jokes apart, listen here, we'll all depart this world at some point. While we're still here, we should all pray for a credible person to lead the country irrespective of the person's ethnicity. Any progressive mind will want the best for his/her wellbeing. If an Igboman happens to fill that void then, so be it.
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by aljharem3: 9:46pm On May 28, 2011
dem_people:

Maybe the fear of Ndigbo is the beginning of wisdom.  wink (Let me paraphrase your other thread).

But jokes apart, listen here, we'll all depart this world at some point. While we're still here, we should all pray for a credible person to lead the country irrespective of the person's ethnicity. Any progressive mind will want the best for his/her wellbeing. If an Igboman happens to fill that void then, so be it.

yes, now u talking cheesy

now, my zone is the NE of nigeria

i voted for a NW person in the last election

the previous one before that, I voted a NW and SE vp

come 2015 the only person i can see right now is fashola SW person

all this people are not from the NE my zone.

I see chime or rotimi ameche next but they need to make it right this time before 2015

concerning leaders, i ALWAYS MAKE SURE I AM NOT VOTING ALONG ETHNIC SENTIMENT

concerning my thread earlier, i did it to shut those people that said north will not rule again

so sorry about any misunderstanding
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by dempeople(m): 10:29pm On May 28, 2011
alj_harem:

yes, now u talking cheesy

now, my zone is the NE of nigeria

i voted for a NW person in the last election

the previous one before that, I voted a NW and SE vp

come 2015 the only person i can see right now is fashola SW person

all this people are not from the NE my zone.

I see chime or rotimi ameche next but they need to make it right this time before 2015

concerning leaders, i ALWAYS MAKE SURE I AM NOT VOTING ALONG ETHNIC SENTIMENT

concerning my thread earlier, i did it to shut those people that said north will not rule again

so sorry about any misunderstanding

When u say NE, I'm sure you meant Chad Bornu.

And what do u mean by Chime and Amaechi "making it right" before 2015? Surely, both are performers. Even Obi is a performer despite the meagre state allocation he has to contend with and, being in another party. If Chime and Obi have the sort of resources at the disposal of Fashola, they would have equally performed on his scale.

Concerning your earlier thread, I think you made your state of mind clear concerning Ndigbo and not to shut whoever up, like you're insinuating here.
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by aljharem3: 10:50pm On May 28, 2011
dem_people:

And what do u mean by Chime and Amaechi "making it right" before 2015? Surely, both are performers. Even Obi is a performer despite the meagre state allocation he has to contend with and, being in another party. If Chime and Obi have the sort of resources at the disposal of Fashola, they would have equally performed on his scale.

Concerning your earlier thread, I think you made your state of mind clear concerning Ndigbo and not to shut whoever up, like you're insinuating here. 

chime and amaechi are performing quite alright but amaechi is collecting much more funds than fashola because he is in a nigerdelta state(which mean extra allocations)

same goes for obi, infact obi has estates in lagos which i know of

the same estate money which was the money gotten from abians, he is using to build more estates and houses in lagos, thus generating more revenue for another state lagos shocked stu.pid innit

infact he (peter obi) is so stup.id that after stealling money from his state and literally giving it to another state, he later insulted ngige for supporting acn, how da.ft is that now

you see my friend, chime and obi have a lot of money given to them

to be honest i think the north and the south west are the least in allocations given from the FG

the ss states gets the most,(niger-delta fg allocations, oil companies tax, etc)

followed by the se, ( oil companies, compensation of biafra war, etc)

lagos DOES NOT COLLECT MONEY FROM THE FG the last time i checked

lagos gets his money from tax and that is all
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by Katsumoto: 11:16pm On May 28, 2011
dem_people:

I don't get some of the posts on NL at times. They are leaders of states; who should be generating revenue for their states? Another state or another leader.

So basically, you are advocating that Nigeria carries electing leaders that are unable to generate revenue but continue to rely on allocation from the centre. If a governor is not able to increase revenue significantly, then he has no business trying to be president.

dem_people:

As it is now, Ndigbo HELPED to kill zoning. The rest of Nigeria will not be looking to return to zoning in 2015; they will be looking for the best man for the job.
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by aljharem3: 11:21pm On May 28, 2011
^^^^^^^

thank u

you've said it all
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by dempeople(m): 4:15am On May 29, 2011
alj_harem:

chime and amaechi are performing quite alright but amaechi is collecting much more funds than fashola because he is in a nigerdelta state(which mean extra allocations)

same goes for obi, infact obi has estates in lagos which i know of

the same estate money which was the money gotten from abians, he is using to build more estates and houses in lagos, thus generating more revenue for another state lagos shocked stu.pid innit

infact he (peter obi) is so stup.id that after stealling money from his state and literally giving it to another state, he later insulted ngige for supporting acn, how da.ft is that now

you see my friend, chime and obi have a lot of money given to them

to be honest i think the north and the south west are the least in allocations given from the FG

the ss states gets the most,(niger-delta fg allocations, oil companies tax, etc)

followed by the se, ( oil companies, compensation of biafra war, etc)

lagos DOES NOT COLLECT MONEY FROM THE FG the last time i checked

lagos gets his money from tax and that is all

Alhaji you can do better than this. Be very sure what you're writing instead of reading from somewhere and calling them facts.

Peter Obi was a rich man before he got into politics. He was a ($) millionaire before becoming governor. All those estates u mentioned, were his before he became governor. Its like Rochas who's now the governor of Imo state, who is a billionaire before becoming Governor. Afterall a while, people will start accusing the fellow of amassing wealth from the state coffers irrespective of whether he actually embezzled or not.

I know Peter Obi. I've seen the infrastructural projects in Anambra. I know better. He's my state governor and I know ALL the communities in Anambra and all the major infrastructures before he became governor and now. I can confidently tell you that he has performed well above his contemporaries in the same FG allocation bracket.

When you wrote that "Chime and Obi have a lot of money given to them" and that "the SE receives tax from oil companies and compensation for Biafra", it shows your ignorance about the region. Please, which oil companies does the SE receive tax from? Which compensation has the SE received because of Biafra? I want you to specifically answer these questions and not dodge them cos I'm waiting for them to be answered.

When you also wrote that "Lagos does not collect its money from FG", what exactly do you mean? I take it that you meant IGR. If so, what about the FG allocation that goes to it? Doesn't that count also? Money is money whether its huge or not.

Katsumoto:

I don't get some of the posts on NL at times. They are leaders of states; who should be generating revenue for their states? Another state or another leader.

So basically, you are advocating that Nigeria carries electing leaders that are unable to generate revenue but continue to rely on allocation from the centre. If a governor is not able to increase revenue significantly, then he has no business trying to be president.

As it is now, Ndigbo HELPED to kill zoning. The rest of Nigeria will not be looking to return to zoning in 2015; they will be looking for the best man for the job.

NO, I'm not advocating for such. I wonder where you think I insinuated that. Infact, I'm a champion of IGR. If at the end of the day, a governor cannot generate required funds, he has no business in governance. 

The IGR of Anambra is about N12bn per annum which is far higher than Enugu's IGR considering the latter isn't as commercialised as the former.

Even if Anambra does better at increasing its IGR to maybe, N20bn a year, its still far below Lagos's IGR which stands at N240bn per annum (current Lagos monthly IGR = N20bn, x 12 = N240bn per annum). Its easy to see that Anambra and Lagos are of similar sizes. Fashola has more funds at his disposal despite the disparity in population between the two states. For what both governors have been able to achieve with their various amounts of allocations and IGRs, Obi deserves as much recognition as Fashola is getting, which he's getting BTW.

About zoning, Ndigbo DID NOT help to kill zoning. Please get your facts right here. The death of zoning was an internal affair of the PDP. Ndigbo simply voted en masse, their preferred candidate. If you refer to this as their "help in killing zoning" then you're wrong.

I wrote in my earlier post that I'll support whoever deserves my support. That includes Fashola, Chime, Obi, Lamido or any other governor who has performed.
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by aljharem3: 4:36am On May 29, 2011
dem_people:

Alhaji you can do better than this. Be very sure what you're saying instead of reading from somewhere and calling them facts.

Peter Obi was a rich man before he got into politics. All those estates u mentioned, were his before he became governor. Its like Rochas who's now the governor of Imo state, who is a billionaire before getting into government. Afterall a while, people will start accusing the fellow of amassing wealth from the state coffers irrespective of whether he actually embezzled or not.

I know Peter Obi. I've seen the infrastructural projects in Anambra. I know better. He's my state governor and I know ALL the communities in Anambra and all the major infrastructures before he became governor and now. I can confidently tell you that he has performed well above his contemporaries in the same FG allocation bracket.

When you wrote that "Chime and Obi have a lot of money given to them" and that "the SE receives tax from oil companies and compensation for Biafra", it shows your ignorance about the region. Please, which oil companies does the SE receive tax from? Which compensation has the SE received because of Biafra? I want you to specifically answer these questions and not dodge them cos I'm waiting for them to be answered.

When you also wrote that "Lagos does not collect its money from FG", what exactly do you mean? I take it that you meant IGR. If so, what about the FG allocation that goes to it? Doesn't that count also? Money is money whether its huge or not.

so obi got his money before getting into power grin grin you people make me laugh

ok please did obj not have ota farm before he was the president which he used to run or his terms

please brother lets be real here, NO POLITIAN before 2000 declared their asset to the public but after obj first tenure they all became rich, shame

secondly, obi infrastructures grin , are they in his name like the tinubu or are they in the state's name,.,.,. oboy wake up

is ojukwu not just given 1.5 billion naira why can't he donate for the SE development undecided unless he wants to go down as the most unless leader in the worlds history

concerning amaechi, i am sure u know the ND collects extra allocation than any other region so he can do alot more

to ur last point, it is a well known fact the FG does not give lagos Federal allocation the last time i checked,

now IGR is the only money lagos is getting to develop itself, much more other states most especially rivers state
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by dempeople(m): 5:03am On May 29, 2011
alj_harem:

so obi got his money before getting into power grin grin you people make me laugh

ok please did obj not have ota farm before he was the president which he used to run or his terms

please brother lets be real here, NO POLITIAN before 2000 declared their asset to the public but after obj first tenure they all became rich, shame

secondly, obi infrastructures  grin , are they in his name like the tinubu or are they in the state's name,.,.,. oboy wake up

is ojukwu not just given 1.5 billion naira  why can't he donate for the SE development undecided unless he wants to go down as the most unless leader in the worlds history

concerning amaechi, i am sure u know the ND collects extra allocation than any other region so he can do alot more

to your last point, it is a well known fact the FG does not give lagos Federal allocation the last time i checked,

now IGR  is the only money lagos is getting to develop itself, much more other states most especially rivers state

You cannot compare Obasanjo with Obi. Obasanjo was a poor man before he came back to politics in '98. Infact, it was people like Andy Uba and Orji Uzor Kalu who helped him as of then. He was POOR. Ota farm was there all along. He couldn't maintain the farm. The farm wasn't productive before 1999.

Obi was a banker and a businessman before becoming governor. Obi, I repeat, was RICH before he became governor. Its not news.

What do u mean about infrastructures and whether they're in his name or the state's name?

About the N1.5bn, do u know where it is? Who told u Ojukwu has personally received it?

Concerning Amaechi, yes, I know he collects more. The thing about Fashola is that, Lagos will always be in the news for all the good and bad reasons. Its the main centre of the country's economy. He is popular for his deeds which, to me, are similarly equivalent to Amaechi's. You don't hear Amaechi as often as u hear Fashola, is simply cos Lagos is much more popular than Rivers than Fashola's progress.

Who told you that FG does not give allocation to Lagos? They have resumed. I think it was stopped during the Obasanjo years. What I was expecting you to write was that, the allocation is far lesser than the IGR which of course, is true and should be so.

BTW, you have still not answered my questions. I'll repeat. Which oil companies pay tax to the SE? Which compensation has been paid to the SE on behalf of Biafra?
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by Katsumoto: 5:12am On May 29, 2011
dem_people:

NO, I'm not advocating for such. I wonder where you think I insinuated that. Infact, I'm a champion of IGR. If at the end of the day, a governor cannot generate required funds, he has no business in governance. 

The IGR of Anambra is about N12bn per annum which is far higher than Enugu's IGR considering the latter isn't as commercialised as the former.

Even if Anambra does better at increasing its IGR to maybe, N20bn a year, its still far below Lagos's IGR which stands at N240bn per annum (current Lagos monthly IGR = N20bn, x 12 = N240bn per annum). Its easy to see that Anambra and Lagos are of similar sizes. Fashola has more funds at his disposal despite the disparity in population between the two states. For what both governors have been able to achieve with their various amounts of allocations and IGRs, Obi deserves as much recognition as Fashola is getting, which he's getting BTW.

About zoning, Ndigbo DID NOT help to kill zoning. Please get your facts right here. The death of zoning was an internal affair of the PDP. Ndigbo simply voted en masse, their preferred candidate. If you refer to this as their "help in killing zoning" then you're wrong.

I wrote in my earlier post that I'll support whoever deserves my support. That includes Fashola, Chime, Obi, Lamido or any other governor who has performed.

How can Lagos and Anambra be of similar sizes if Anambra generates N12B annually and Lagos generates N240B (your figures by the way)? Also, Fashola has more funds at his disposal because Fashola is generating more revenue. I don't see where the similarities are. What has Obi achieved in Anambra? Fashola is getting international recognition for his works and you are talking about Obi. Can Anambra survive if it does not receive its allocation from Abuja?

The point I am making is that Fashola generates more internal revenue than all other governors. If Nigeria is to progress, should it be electing leaders that just spend what accrues from the oil or should it be electing leaders that will generate more revenue from other sources, thereby making the funds larger for projects?

Yes, zoning was an internal matter to PDP. The question is, 'will Ndigbo be expecting PDP to put forward an Igbo candidate in 2015, considering that the same PDP did not follow its zoning formula'? Also, why do you not think that by Ndigbo voting overwhelmingly for the candidate that killed the zoning formula, it has sent a message to the rest of Nigerians that zoning (within the PDP) is dead? If Ndigbo wanted an Igbo president in 2015, then Igbo leaders (in the Ohanaeze) should have told GEJ to step aside for a Northern candidate, so that it can have its turn in 2015. But instead, Ohanaeze supported GEJ publicly and GEJ won overwhelmingly in the SE. If that can not be classified as 'help in killing zoning', then I don't know what is.

2015 will be interesting.
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by aljharem3: 5:18am On May 29, 2011
Katsumoto:

How can Lagos and Anambra be of similar sizes if Anambra generates N12B annually and Lagos generates N240B (your figures by the way)? Also, Fashola has more funds at his disposal because Fashola is generating more revenue. I don't see where the similarities are. What has Obi achieved in Anambra? Fashola is getting international recognition for his works and you are talking about Obi. Can Anambra survive if it does not receive its allocation from Abuja?

The point I am making is that Fashola generates more internal revenue than all other governors. If Nigeria is to progress, should it be electing leaders that just spend what accrues from the oil or should it be electing leaders that will generate more revenue from other sources, thereby making the funds larger for projects?

Y[b]es, zoning was an internal matter to PDP. The question is, 'will Ndigbo be expecting PDP to put forward an Igbo candidate in 2015, considering that the same PDP did not follow its zoning formula'? Also, why do you not think that by Ndigbo voting overwhelmingly for the candidate that killed the zoning formula, it has sent a message to the rest of Nigerians that zoning (within the PDP) is dead? If Ndigbo wanted an Igbo president in 2015, then Igbo leaders (in the Ohanaeze) should have told GEJ to step aside for a Northern candidate, so that it can have its turn in 2015. But instead, Ohanaeze supported GEJ publicly and GEJ won overwhelmingly in the SE. If that can not be classified as 'help in killing zoning', then I don't know what is.

[/b]

gbammmmmmmmmmmmmmm

God bless u

i have difficulty expressing myself but u've done it well
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by dempeople(m): 5:33am On May 29, 2011
Katsumoto:

Yes, zoning was an internal matter to PDP. The question is, 'will Ndigbo be expecting PDP to put forward an Igbo candidate in 2015, considering that the same PDP did not follow its zoning formula'? Also, why do you not think that by Ndigbo voting overwhelmingly for the candidate that killed the zoning formula, it has sent a message to the rest of Nigerians that zoning (within the PDP) is dead? If Ndigbo wanted an Igbo president in 2015, then Igbo leaders (in the Ohanaeze) should have told GEJ to step aside for a Northern candidate, so that it can have its turn in 2015. But instead, Ohanaeze supported GEJ publicly and GEJ won overwhelmingly in the SE. If that can not be classified as 'help in killing zoning', then I don't know what is.

When I wrote about size, I meant geographical and not otherwise. Of course like I wrote, Lagos has more populace and generates more IGR than Anambra. Why do u say Obi hasn't achieved in Anambra. Is it cos u don't hear of Anambra in the news as you hear of Lagos or u don't hear of Obi as much as you hear of Fashola's accomplishments? I've already outlined why this is so in my latest post to Alj Harem.

I'm from Anambra. I normally visit home. I usually see things for myself. Anambra receives just over N2bn monthly plus about N1bn from IGR. For what N3bn could achieve, Obi has remarkably performed. I'm no defender of Obi neither do I like aspects of his style of politics but I believe the truth should be told.

Yes. 2015 will be interesting but I vehemently do not agree that Ndigbo have traded their chance for 2015 because of the block vote that GEJ received from them.

[size=13pt]@Alj Harem,[/size]

Thy shall not shy away from those questions. Please answer them to set the records straight.
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by monkeyleg: 9:46am On May 29, 2011
@papabrowne,
Try and stick to the issue at hand. The election was flawed, but we will save that for another thread.

That said, I think this is a welcome development, and I am sure Fash will be smart enough to manage the relationship.

@playmode,

I do appreciate your skepticism, but I think the Yanks have learn a valuable leasson and I am sure they will be willing to engage on more meaningful and beneficial to all terms. They have fast learnt that thier previous stand is fast loosing them valueable business, which the Chinese and Indians are gobbling up.

I remember when african leaders where invited to China in 2007, some of the comments coming out, where that the West (US, UK and co), treat African as subjects, but the Chinese treated them as equals. So I guess the Americans are now understanding that the game has changed and they need to engage on more flexible terms.
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by monkeyleg: 9:51am On May 29, 2011
For me I am more concerned about quality control and the Nigerian government getting a good deal for the Nigerian people. Letting China and Indian in is ok, but we must be cautious of substandard good. Nigeria still remains a dumping ground, and I am not quite sure of Far east partners are that ethical sound.

All said, I think a better relationship would have been achieved with the Birtish. Like it or not, we have a history with them, may not be very glowing, but a history does exist, and I am convinced that there is a lot of room for Nigeria and the UK to do good mutally beneficial business, interms of the service sector, manufacturing, health, even power generation.
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by Builder: 9:58am On May 29, 2011
The US to partner Lagos!!!!!! Oh Lord, this is the beginning of the end for Lagos, the US never have good intentions for anybody, any country or any thing, as always they are always after their own interest,  the South America continent, the middle east and Africa  can bear witness to this. Please Fashola dont allow that rogue of a country to  exploit our people, we know we are not perfect but we are managing ourselves, but this american partnership is a terrifying thot.

EKO ONI BAJE OOOOOOOOOO
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by ibedun: 10:55am On May 29, 2011
THANK YOU - PLAYMODE & BUILDER

ekt_BEAR - you are being naive like the dangerously naive leaders we have all over the place.

The US has no good intention - just forget it they are up to no good. Jobs and investment in an African country from the US? Are you kidding me or what? They are racist spoilers and they will only come in to spoil things. I am Euro based and have lived and studied in CA, i know this people and their mentality. Most Africa based Africans just do not understand that reality and the dynamics of race to this American monsters. Notice how they never talk about Africans or any African related issue without swiping us with the HIV/AIDS tag.

Fashola should tell them nice Thanks but no thanks.

Just go to American and look at the state of Black Americans.
Re: Us Government To Partner With Lagos by LagosBoi2(m): 11:32am On May 29, 2011
PLAY MODE
PLAY MODE PLAY MODE PLAY MODE PLAY MODE PLAY MODE PLAY MODE PLAY MODE PLAY MODE PLAY MODE

Please get back to me, I share similar ideology with you but i am quickly labeled as a terrorist especially when it gets to the Israeli- Palestinian issues. My friends even call Bin Laden my uncle because i don't buy the American idea of terrorism, I always see them as two fighting.

I will like to chat with you. Here is my ID sod.confirm at yahoo. please drop me yours or add me. I will love to know more. Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

kano bombing; Biafra zionist to send 500 military pilots for trianing in Israel / Gov. Fashola Inspect New Dalian Locomotive Trains For Lagos (Photos) / 2015: Buhari Must Become APC Presidential Candidate, Says Yerima

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.