Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,038 members, 7,818,067 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:45 AM

Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) (2131 Views)

Gokada And Lagos Boats Team Up To Unveil Gboat To The Public / From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. / Passengers Robbed Mid-Air On-board A South African Airways Flight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by TMKsouth: 2:50pm On Sep 29, 2021
SAA and Kenya Airways have signed a memorandum of co-operation to form a pan-African airline group in the future. The two loss-making airlines believe a single airline group would maximize growth potential and take advantage of each carrier’s strengths.

Allan Kilavuka, Chief Executive Officer at Kenya Airways, said,

The future of aviation and its long-term sustenance is hinged on partnership and collaboration. Kenya Airways’ and South African Airways’ collaboration will enhance customer benefits by availing a larger combined passenger and cargo network, fostering the exchange of expertise, innovation, best practices, and adopting homegrown organic solutions to technical and operational challenges.”

While forming a pan-African airline is more of a long-term goal, the two airlines will begin co-operating earlier. According to ch-aviation, this will include ‘shared services in route networks, fleet, and capacity deployment and exploring economic, technical, maintenance, repair, and overhaul opportunities to achieve economies of scale.’

Thomas Kgokolo, Interim Chief Executive Officer at South African Airways, added,

“KQ and SAA, as iconic airline brands of Africa’s biggest and vibrant economies, in East Africa and Southern Africa respectively, are at the precipice of what could be Africa’s formidable pan-African airline.”

A bright future for two troubled airlines?

It’s no secret that both SAA and Kenya Airways have been in troubled waters for years now. Through co-operation and the eventual co-forming of a new airline group, the two airlines hope to improve their outlook in the current and post-pandemic aviation world.

SAA was in administration for almost 18 months until April, with a takeover bid currently going through the formalities. Kenya Airways has been the subject of a nationalization bid from the Kenyan government, with the bill still awaiting its third reading in parliament.

Both airlines have been making a loss for years, with Kenya Airways posting its worst losses ever for the fiscal year 2020. Additionally, cash-strapped Kenya Airways is not expecting any kind of bailout package from the government, despite CEO Kilavuka stating that the airline is technically insolvent and needs around $500 million for its short-term debts.

On the bright side, SAA restarted commercial operations after an 18-month hiatus due to the COVID pandemic. The airline flew its first flight back on September 23rd from Johannesburg to Cape Town.

Before covid SAA and KQ formed part of Africa's Top-3 biggest airlines, led by Ethiopian.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by TjoBATHONG(m): 3:25pm On Sep 29, 2021
great team
2 countries that can work together
they must look W.Africa for a giant partner in ghana

those men which one is Kenya which one S.African

1 Like

Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by Teslason(m): 4:16pm On Sep 29, 2021
Welcome development.
What about issuing of visa for fellow African countries by SA. It should be scrapped.
Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by TMKsouth: 4:28pm On Sep 29, 2021
Teslason:
Welcome development.
What about issuing of visa for fellow African countries by SA. It should be scrapped.

Truly speaking, as a South African I don't see SA issuing a blanket visa to all of the continent. It might be selective. It's local politics - most South Africans feel they'll be flooded with migrants. It's not a popular move.
Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by Teslason(m): 6:18pm On Sep 29, 2021
TMKsouth:

Truly speaking, as a South African I don't see SA issuing a blanket visa to all of the continent. It might be selective. It's local politics - most South Africans feel they'll be flooded with migrants. It's not a popular move.
Yeah sure! But South Americans practice it.
I understand many parts of the continents are wallowing in poverty and SA doesn't want to house most of 'em.
Wish Africans can work together and lift eachother up by thinking by ourselves and not relying on the westerners that doesn't really want us to progress.

1 Like

Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by TMKsouth: 6:27pm On Sep 29, 2021
Teslason:

Yeah sure! But South Americans practice it.
I understand many parts of the continents are wallowing in poverty and SA doesn't want to house most of 'em.
Wish Africans can work together and lift eachother up by thinking by ourselves and not relying on the westerners that doesn't really want us to progress.

Very well said. We should first strive for peace and some decent form of development in much of Africa and progress from there. If we do it now with so much imbalance in development levels it will result in a lot of tensions especially in the more advanced countries. Even Britain left the EU coz it had issues with the influx of East Europeans who are poorer.

SA already has xenophobic issues originating from local social problems, and this will only intensify if we went for a blanket visa-free regime right now. From an SA perspective it's still premature to make such a call - others can do it in the meantime though.

1 Like

Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by theTranscriber: 7:12pm On Sep 29, 2021
Very nice grin
Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by Teslason(m): 7:59pm On Sep 29, 2021
TMKsouth:

Very well said. We should first strive for peace and some decent form of development in much of Africa and progress from there. If we do it now with so much imbalance in development levels it will result in a lot of tensions especially in the more advanced countries. Even Britain left the EU coz it had issues with the influx of East Europeans who are poorer.

SA already has xenophobic issues originating from local social problems, and this will only intensify if we went for a blanket visa-free regime right now. From an SA perspective it's still premature to make such a call - others can do it in the meantime though.
True!
But, one of the main problem is when we don't trust our innovations and believe the whites.
I believe in time to come, the continent won't be the poverty capital of the world.
I was deeply mesmerized when Elton John in France during the global music concert said, they should donate £5 for vaccination in Africa....
What a shame.
I believe in greatness!

2 Likes

Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by TMKsouth: 10:03pm On Sep 29, 2021
Teslason:

True!
But, one of the main problem is when we don't trust our innovations and believe the whites.
I believe in time to come, the continent won't be the poverty capital of the world.
I was deeply mesmerized when Elton John in France during the global music concert said, they should donate £5 for vaccination in Africa....
What a shame.
I believe in greatness!

We've been calling for trade and not aid for Africa, but some whites love to keep Africa dependent on them while some African governments are addicted to aid. A continent so rich in natural resources should not be begging or having the price of gold and diamonds set in Europe.

Unfortunately our leaders are all talk & nothing else. They've been talking about these things since I was in high school back in the late 90s, when Mbeki, Obasanjo and Boutiflika established Nepad (New Partnership for Africa's Development).

1 Like

Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by Bifwoli: 1:01am On Sep 30, 2021
Teslason:
Welcome development.
This alliance will not survive.There's still too much corruption ,unprofessionalism and state capture in both these countries to make the combined airline entity work.

Then there's the twin killer elements of poverty.Too many Africans still can't afford to fly and airline tickets in Africa are damn expensive compared to other regions of the world.

1 Like

Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by CSTRR: 5:47am On Sep 30, 2021
Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by TMKsouth: 11:02am On Sep 30, 2021
theTranscriber:
Very nice grin

What now Trans? Why the laughing emoji undecided
Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by TMKsouth: 11:06am On Sep 30, 2021
Bifwoli:
This alliance will not survive.There's still too much corruption ,unprofessionalism and state capture in both these countries to make the combined airline entity work.

Then there's the twin killer elements of poverty.Too many Africans still can't afford to fly and airline tickets in Africa are damn expensive compared to other regions of the world.

Someone has to take the first steps to making the dream of pan-African airlines a reality - SA and Kenya are in a strong position to do that despite their problems.
Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by Teslason(m): 11:22am On Sep 30, 2021
Bifwoli:

Sure!
If only African countries can checkmate themselves for corruption .... Then, the augumented prosperity of the continent is certain.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by Teslason(m): 11:26am On Sep 30, 2021
TMKsouth:

We've been calling for trade and not aid for Africa, but some whites love to keep Africa dependent on them while some African governments are addicted to aid. A continent so rich in natural resources should not be begging or having the price of gold and diamonds set in Europe.

Unfortunately our leaders are all talk & nothing else. They've been talking about these things since I was in high school back in the late 90s, when Mbeki, Obasanjo and Boutiflika established Nepad (New Partnership for Africa's Development).
The problem is, when a new government comes into a country, the project or plans of the former government will be forfeited and forgotten.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by Limassol(m): 2:24pm On Sep 30, 2021
This post is so amatuerish - just copy and paste, and no reference(s) or citation. And the op wonder why people here treat him as a clown.

1 Like

Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by TMKsouth: 6:39pm On Sep 30, 2021
Limassol:

This post is so amatuerish - just copy and paste, and no reference(s) or citation. And the op wonder why people here treat him as a clown.

You're right - this post of yours is definitely whack! The thread however is AWESOME cool cool!!!

1 Like

Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by Limassol(m): 7:33pm On Sep 30, 2021
TMKsouth:

You're right - this post of yours is definitely whack! The thread however is AWESOME cool cool!!!
Lol... And you wonder why you are losing relevance on Nairaland. Ever combative and agressive, you need to take a deep breath man. By the way, any reference\citation for this half-baked post?

1 Like

Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by TMKsouth: 9:57pm On Sep 30, 2021
Limassol:
Lol... And you wonder why you are losing relevance on Nairaland. Ever combative and agressive, you need to take a deep breath man. By the way, any reference\citation for this half-baked post?

What sort of response did u expect from your patronizing first post? Unfortunately for u I don't buy face, I'd rather "lose relevance on NL" than have people walk all over me. I'm "combative and aggressive" to people who send off the same energy, like u right now and on the previous thread where u called me a "South African nationalist" and called for my permanent banning due to "toxicity". And yet here u are derailing a peaceful thread unprovoked. See your handiwork below.

Copy and paste my "half-baked post" on Google and the original will come up.

Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by Limassol(m): 5:51am On Oct 01, 2021
TMKsouth:

What sort of response did u expect from your patronizing first post? Unfortunately for u I don't buy face, I'd rather "lose relevance on NL" than have people walk all over me. I'm "combative and aggressive" to people who send off the same energy, like u right now and on the previous thread where u called me a "South African nationalist" and called for my permanent banning due to "toxicity". And yet here u are derailing a peaceful thread unprovoked. See your handiwork below.

so much rambling. ,Again, i ask a simple question, any credible reference\citation for this post?

1 Like

Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by Limassol(m): 6:17am On Oct 01, 2021
TMKsouth:

, I'd rather "lose relevance on NL" than have people walk all over me. I'm "combative and aggressive" to people who send off the same energy, like u right now and on the previous thread where u called me a "South African nationalist" and called for my permanent banning due to "toxicity". And yet here u are derailing a peaceful thread unprovoked. See your handiwork below.

I stand by my words, and what you think don't matter. You should be the last person here to point fingers. Nobody on Nairaland has ever has the guts to call Nigerians "people with iron membranes as brains" except you, the proof is there for all to see in your previous threads, you are beyond disrepectful and toxic. And yes,you are an irrelevant SA nationalist on a mission to propagagate the false impression that SA is some utopia. You will fail miserably!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by TMKsouth: 9:49am On Oct 01, 2021
Limassol:

Nobody on Nairaland has ever has the guts to call Nigerians "people with iron membranes as brains" except you, the proof is there for all to see in your previous threads, you are beyond disrepectful and toxic.!

Please provide the evidence where I say this.
Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by theTranscriber: 10:06am On Oct 01, 2021
TMKsouth:

What now Trans? Why the laughing emoji undecided
It's a joke grin
Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by theTranscriber: 10:07am On Oct 01, 2021
Limassol:
He's better than that Galaxy guy who I call estrogen grin
Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by Limassol(m): 10:20am On Oct 01, 2021
TMKsouth:

Please provide the evidence where I say this.
when your compatriot i galaxy and a particular Nigerian sympathiser who goes by the monicker gerrard were throwing their weights behind you, you were hauling offensive words left,right and center. The internet dosen't forget - painstaikingly peruse through the thread you created about Nigerians and South Africans having the highest African populations in the UK, check, the unprintable words are there.
Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by Limassol(m): 10:25am On Oct 01, 2021
theTranscriber:

"estrogen"... That's a funny tag.
Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by TMKsouth: 10:28am On Oct 01, 2021
Limassol:
when your compatriot iron galaxy and a particular Nigerian sympathiser who goes by the monicker gerrard59 were throwing their weights behind you, you were hauling offensive words left,right and center. The internet dosen't forget - painstaikingly peruse through the thread you created about Nigerians and South Africans having the highest African populations in the UK, check, the unprintable words are there.

Show me where I said Nigerians "are people with iron membranes as brains".

And if Gerrad59 is a Nigerian SA-sympathizer, why are u 'following' him since you're clearly anti-SA?

Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by theTranscriber: 10:29am On Oct 01, 2021
Limassol:
"estrogen"... That's a funny tag.
If you notice
SA women are very beautiful and their men not manly because there's excess estrogen over there cheesy

Men are supposed to have testestorone not excess estrogen

That's why most SA men are effeminate embarassed grin
Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by TMKsouth: 10:32am On Oct 01, 2021
theTranscriber:

And he calls you Pinky of the "Pinky and the Brain" cartoon classic.

Re: Rivals South African & Kenya Airways Team Up To Form Pan-african Airline (PIX) by TMKsouth: 10:37am On Oct 01, 2021
theTranscriber:

If you notice
SA women are very beautiful and their men not manly because there's excess estrogen over there cheesy

Men are supposed to have testestorone not excess estrogen

That's why most SA men are effeminate embarassed grin

And we asked if your excess testesterone in Nigeria is the one leading u to defecate in public (world champion by far grin) and play football with human skulls after ritual killings. If that's the case we'd rather have estrogen in SA (the saner country).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Message To Those Who Intends To Japa Or Setup A Business!!! / Please, Anyone Advise On Best Way To Get To Us Embassy From Iyanapaja / Sweden Student Resident Permit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.