Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,296 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! (2521 Views)

Nigeria Will Evacuate Nationals If South Africa Attacks Worsen – Minister / Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes / Boko Haram: Lagos, Delta, Ekiti Evacuate Over 1, 500 Students From Borno (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! by aljharem3: 1:05am On May 29, 2011
As Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State takes his oath for another four-year term today, the state government has warned residents living along the Ogun-Osun River tributaries in the state to evacuate to avoid impending flooding during this year rainy season.

The state government also reiterated that residents living along Apapa-Oshodi expressway will continue to experience flooding all through the rainy season.

The Permanent Secretary, Office of Drainage, Ministry of Environment, Engr. Muyideen Akinsanya gave these warning yesterday, at a media briefing to sensitize the public on the effect of the rainy season in the state.

According to Akinsanya,the state will experience heavier rainfall this year and would result into flooding in many areas.

He continued: “According to the result released by the Nigerian Meteorological Agency (NIMET), rainfall is put at between 300-1100mm in the north and 1200-2700mm in the south.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/05/warning-alert-in-lagos-evacuate-heavy-floods-coming/
Re: Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! by Kobojunkie: 1:58am On May 29, 2011
Floods again? WOW!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! by Mynd44: 2:34am On May 29, 2011
Not again
Re: Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! by Nobody: 6:39am On May 29, 2011
when will Lagos be like London
Re: Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! by karlmax2: 7:19am On May 29, 2011
Admission to faillure by lagos state government after the hugh sum spent on drainage!!!! After the rain we would see the quality of road tinubus hi tech and fasholas lagos has on ground!!!!
Re: Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! by 190: 8:12am On May 29, 2011
rafhell:

when will Lagos be like London
There are maps and satellite images showing the entire london which are not entirely available in lagos or missing some basic images which makes it difficult to plan how to mitigate these floods undecided
Re: Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! by Kobojunkie: 8:18am On May 29, 2011
190:

There are maps and satellite images showing the entire london which are not entirely available in lagos or missing some basic images which makes it difficult to plan how to mitigate these floods undecided

That is bull given that London's drainage system was built long before the age of satellite images and advanced mapping.
Re: Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! by BABE3: 8:20am On May 29, 2011
Chei! I for fear! I thought it was the predicted AJA/VGC area one. Se 15 years ti ya pe ni yen.?! Anyways, too bad--horrible.  sad
Re: Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! by chelseabmw(m): 9:53am On May 29, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^

My Baby,don't worry as u will not be affected. . . .

Am here for u grin

Good morning smiley
Re: Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! by Remii(m): 9:56am On May 29, 2011
What did Lagos and Ogun states did with N1.5B GEJ given them during the flood last year. Nothing have been done around Isheri till date.
Re: Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! by BABE3: 10:26am On May 29, 2011
chelseabmw:

^^^^^^^^^^^

My Baby,don't worry as u will not be affected. . . .
Am here for u grin
Good morning smiley

Morning darling. smiley Here for me? I ain't in Gidi presently sef so---
Re: Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! by chelseabmw(m): 10:33am On May 29, 2011
Babes why didn't U̶̲̥̅̊ go †̥ church this morning?
Re: Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! by chelseabmw(m): 10:37am On May 29, 2011
Darling,when Ȋ̝̊̅ mean A̶̲̥̅♏ here,it means A̶̲̥̅♏ online for Ɣ☺ΰ. Nobody can take U̶̲̥̅̊я place here on nairaland. . . U̶̲̥̅̊ r M̶̲̥̅y NL wife. When A̶̲̥̅♏ back from church we r gonna chat
Re: Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! by Nobody: 10:43am On May 29, 2011
Let no one panic, just get a canoe, you are all set
Re: Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! by jmaine: 10:49am On May 29, 2011
It appears Lagos is in for some really tough times to tackle the menace of flooding within it's boundaries . . .especially when you couple this alarm with that of the Atlantic ocean destroying the Alfa beach ( obviously our lack for being pro active by removing the ship wrecks along our coast lines) and threatening it's environs . . .The ministry of environment need to tag Lagos state as a flood prune area and put adequate measures to stem this frequent flooding inconveniences and destruction  . . .
Re: Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! by BABE3: 10:57am On May 29, 2011
chelseabmw:

Babes why didn't U̶̲̥̅̊ go †̥ church this morning?

chelseabmw:

Darling,when Ȋ̝̊̅ mean A̶̲̥̅♏ here,it means A̶̲̥̅♏ online for Ɣ☺ΰ. Nobody can take U̶̲̥̅̊я place here on nairaland. . . U̶̲̥̅̊ r M̶̲̥̅y NL wife. When A̶̲̥̅♏ back from church we r gonna chat

Chei! Anyways, I'm not in Nigeria. It's clearly stated beneath my username.  I don't wanna go back and forth with you. Let's not derail this innocent thread.  smiley
Re: Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! by chelseabmw(m): 11:01am On May 29, 2011
˚☺k° dear, will talk †̥ U̶̲̥̅̊ much later
Re: Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! by yesboss20(m): 11:05am On May 29, 2011
The Lord help every1 that would be affected by this.
Re: Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! by cashew1: 3:15pm On May 29, 2011
Woah! I remember when Lagos was OK. May God help us.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Friends, My name is Mr. Kelvin (Okigwe, Imo State) and I have been selling CASHEW NUTS in large quantities to potential exporters (Vietnam/Cambodia) and local buyers (Lagos/PH) over the last 5 years.I would like to also extend my CASHEW trade to YOU. I have over 100plus metric tons capacity and willing to deliver to you.
My phone number is 08033777615. Please call me if you are interested so you could start testing and we do business. Cheers.
Re: Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! by member479760: 3:48pm On May 29, 2011
persons dey talk of flood you dey talk of groundnut, na wa ooo!
Re: Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! by Egbagirl(f): 5:37pm On May 29, 2011
LOL he is only trying to market his business.

@topic: Its a good thing that the govt is warning people about the imminent flood but do they have any solutions to the problem? How do they plan on creating a long lasting solution? If these pple evacuate, where will they move to? Its not enough to tell pple to move. to where?
Re: Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! by cvibe: 6:24pm On May 29, 2011
Canoe is fast becoming one of the mobile assets every Lagosian should own in Lagos state.
Re: Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! by Odunnu: 7:21pm On May 29, 2011
nakedall:

persons dey talk of flood you dey talk of groundnut, na wa ooo!
Okay, this got me lmao!
Re: Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! by hackney(m): 10:42pm On May 29, 2011
lekki go hear am again?
kai ! !
Re: Warning Alert In Lagos: Evacuate, Heavy Floods Coming! by noblemuk: 12:58am On May 30, 2011
The terrain of Lagos can be compared to that of the Netherlands and even the undeveloped  Niger Delta. Most parts of Lagos are barely higher than 5m above sea level. A developed country like the Netherlands simply suspends most part of its country in the air; well above sea level. This is freaking expensive and it's what i expect for the Niger Delta if our leaders know what they are doing. It requires a considerable drop in elevation to allow storm water flow from inland into the Lagoon but Lagos is almost flat and generates very little slope to drive the water in its canals; that's why they are often silted with debris. Most part of Lagos was developed without careful assessment of its flat plane and hence its predicament. The present government can only manage it and ensure the problem is not being transfered to the newly developing Lagos area like Lekki, Badagry etc. The populace itself are also to blame, many still indulge in duping refuse in canals you will be surprised what you'll find in Lagos canals, refugerators, dead bodies, thousands of pure-water sachets and pet bottles just to mention a few, could be crazy at times. All we can pray for is the foresight to see solutions in the midst of these problems. For some of us It is a pending  opportunity, i always say, "in the background of every problem is an impending opportunity to make an impact, if you decide to solve it"

(1) (Reply)

Imo State Is Mrs (dr) Viola Onwuliri Anti Mrs (dr) Ada Okwuonu / Live Update From Nlc/tuc Meeting With Fg On Fuel Subsidy / News breaking! Apga top official stripped naked in Anambra(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.