Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,904 members, 7,821,145 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:56 AM

Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? (7302 Views)

Poll: Which Team Played Better?

Arsenal: 86% (106 votes)
Manchester United: 13% (17 votes)
This poll has ended

Usain Bolt To Play For Manchester United Against Real Madrid / Cristiano Ronaldo: I'm Better Than Messi / Patrice Evra Warns Manchester United Against Wounded Arsenal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by snowdrops(m): 9:25pm On May 30, 2011
could not agree more.
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by OBEHIOYE(m): 9:45pm On May 30, 2011
In truth, Arsenal played just a little better.
Meanwhile i believe this Barca team should be bought tickets on the next galactic flight to space, else we're DOOMED!!!
This Barca team go dominate world football for the next 3 yrs at least, Mourinho own don red for spain, na there e no go fit win UCL,
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by MeGaStReEt: 10:20pm On May 30, 2011
which Arsenal una dey talk??

there is one Arsenal Kiev
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by vicenzo(m): 11:34pm On May 30, 2011
@texzzapete.
Contrary to your opinion,i think arsenal would have done better if the goal was allowed and lehmann yellow carded,the loss of lehmann didnt help arsenal, don't forget that he was the best goal keeper in europe that season,at 1-1, with lehmann ,arsenal would have had a better chance of winning barca,beletti's winning goal was because of alumnia bad goal keeping,lehmann with the form he was in that season,would have done better,therefore, in my opinion,referee's decision in that match,favoured barca and not the other way round.
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by blkmum700: 12:39am On May 31, 2011
vicenzo:

@texzzapete.
Contrary to your opinion,i think arsenal would have done better if the goal was allowed and lehmann yellow carded,the loss of lehmann didnt help arsenal, don't forget that he was the best goal keeper in europe that season,at 1-1, with lehmann ,arsenal would have had a better chance of winning barca,beletti's winning goal was because of alumnia bad goal keeping,lehmann with the form he was in that season,would have done better,therefore, in my opinion,referee's decision in that match,favoured barca and not the other way round.

The referee didn't favored Barca in that Match except you are talking about another Match,Before Lehmann got sent off for foul on Eto,Guily has already kicked in the ball which should be count has a goal and it's was after that arsenal scored ,if the goal has been allow and lehman given yellow scared arsenal would have consist more goals because they will be all out looking for equalizer which will give barca more room to score them ,so the referee didn't favor barca but allow arsenal to defend and score first.
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by kaykaybaba(m): 1:13am On May 31, 2011
Arsenal played better, despite the wishy washy performance this season. Manure was a total disgrace. A complete shadow of themselves.
By the way, i think Barcelona should be stopped from playing competitions, they're years ahead of any other team in the whole world, they're like the harlem globetrotters or something, they should only be playing exhibition matches. Kai! Playing Barca is like playing against 20 men. They are all over the pitch! Anyway, I think Arsenal played better, even though WE didn't make it to finals.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/05/30/2508777/mock-the-weekend-end-of-season-awards-the-best-and-the-worst?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4de3ae1070a66f87%2C0
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by Nobody: 4:29am On May 31, 2011
Arsenal fans wanting to be winners by force. I agree with what someone else said earlier. I refuse to give credit to a team that finished 4th in the EPL and were quarter-finalists in the UCL.

We made it to the final and that's good enough for me and most Man U fans hopefully. Anyone thinking any team could have beaten Barcelona is mad. I didn't speak too much to fellow Man U friends and fans, but I knew, personally, this game would be lost. Call me pessimistic, but there's no stopping Barca as they're simply overwhelming. I had small hope after Rooney's goal, but that's about it. I was really hoping Real Madrid beat them in the semi's so that we would have a chance at that trophy lol.
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by Nobody: 7:41am On May 31, 2011
arsenal is the best
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by vicenzo(m): 7:43am On May 31, 2011
blkmum700:

The referee didn't favored Barca in that Match except you are talking about another Match,Before Lehmann got sent off for foul on Eto,Guily has already kicked in the ball which should be count has a goal and it's was after that arsenal scored ,if the goal has been allow and lehman given yellow scared arsenal would have consist more goals because they will be all out looking for equalizer which will give barca more room to score them ,so the referee didn't favor barca but allow arsenal to defend and score first.
Many people have been used to current arsenal team defence blunders,that they have come to think that arsenal team have always been like that.
If you watched the heroics of the arsenal defence of 2006 against real madrid in madrid,the work load they put in against juventus and villareal enroute to the final,that arsenal team stood waves and waves of pressure against ronaldo,figo,raul and the entire realmadrid team and came out without blemish in madrid,that team set the record of being the team that conceeded the least amount of goal in the history of the champions league enroute to the final,despite his team finishing second in the competition,lehmann won the best european best keeper that year.
Maybe barca would have won,but it definately cannot be with belletti cheap goal if lehmann was in the post.
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by sleekier(m): 7:59am On May 31, 2011
arsenal marked better & didnt give barca much breathing space. Man u could have performed better if not because of their shadow marking tactics. That lead to d 1st & 3rd goals. As for me,arsenal played better despite d red card.
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by Pidzo(m): 8:11am On May 31, 2011
Arsenal is the best in terms of what? Losing? Arsenal fans are just good at talking about how other teams fail to win in competitions that they themselves fail to progress each and every year. You say Arsenal played better, did you progress? Looking at how noisy Arsenal fans are I don't know what would have happened if Arsenal was any where near Tottenham (obviously Tottenham is far much better than Arsenal in everythingcry cry)
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by 1025: 8:41am On May 31, 2011
abeg make una change this topic here. how can somebody compare man u with arsenal. a final is different from what they played. an arsenal - barca final will be a joke of a football. the present arsenal team does not have what it takes to play in a final least of all playing against barca. some1 said RVP was red carded, who was redcarded against birminham city? a team that cld not beat birminham city in a carling cup finals will concede like 20 goals against barca.
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by Effiko(m): 9:28am On May 31, 2011
snowdrops:

Man-ure and their fans. Dem cheat their way go win EPL, and dem come here dey claim say them too much. Abegi. Thanks God for clubs like barca. Them go re-orientate you to reality.

kai yaro see wetin u dey talk , na wa oooooo
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by Effiko(m): 9:32am On May 31, 2011
1025:

abeg make una change this topic here. how can somebody compare man u with arsenal. a final is different from what they played. an arsenal - barca final will be a joke of a football. the present arsenal team does not have what it takes to play in a final least of all playing against barca. some1 said RVP was red carded, who was redcarded against birminham city? a team that cld not beat birminham city in a carling cup finals will concede like 20 goals against barca.

na GOD go bless u , urer 2much nefa
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by Akainzo(m): 10:23am On May 31, 2011
1025:

I want to believe you've been on holiday to Mars! The team that couldn't beat Birmingham did play Barcelona in that same season and guess what, the match ended 3-4 on aggregate. There goes your wildest dream conjecture of 20 goals. Welcome back to planet earth. grin
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by Sike(m): 10:23am On May 31, 2011
Arseanal tried but failed, Man U flew but Suck!
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by kolaoloye(m): 10:51am On May 31, 2011
Sike:

Arseanal tried but failed, Man U flew but Suck!
As far as English soccer is concerned MAN U is still the father any day anytime.
United for life.
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by tocdee(m): 10:53am On May 31, 2011
So we are on a quest to discover which of these teams lost 'best' against Barca? Laughable. Both were beat, end of.
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by SamsonAN: 11:08am On May 31, 2011
I am a MAN UTD fan, but this things has to be done with facts so that we do not have blind opinions. This will guide contributors to contribute without bias or sentiment.

BARCELONA vs MAN UTD - FINAL
Possession
• Barcelona 68%
• Man Utd 32%
Attempts on target
• Barcelona 13
• Man Utd 1
Attempts off target
• Barcelona 3
• Man Utd 2
Corners
• Barcelona 6
• Man Utd 0
Fouls
• Barcelona 5
• Man Utd 16

BARCELONA VS ARSENAL
Possession
• Barcelona 67%
• Arsenal 33%
Attempts on target
• Barcelona 13
• Arsenal 0
Attempts off target
• Barcelona 6
• Arsenal 0
Corners
• Barcelona 5
• Arsenal 2
Fouls
• Barcelona 6
• Arsenal 16

ARSENAL vs BARCELONA
Possession
• Arsenal 47%
• Barcelona 53%
Attempts on target
• Arsenal 8
• Barcelona 7
Attempts off target
• Arsenal 3
• Barcelona 3
Corners
• Arsenal 4
• Barcelona 1
Fouls
• Arsenal 16
• Barcelona 12
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by ava2: 11:17am On May 31, 2011
y'all want to know which of Man-U & Arsenal team played better against Barcelona in UEFA CL 2011? If you really want to know, ask Barcelona players and pitch-side staff. I would suggest you add real madrid to your enquiry and listen to what the blaugrana has to say.

The dispositions and attitudes of each member of the blaugrana (from coach to reserve goalkeeper) says a lot about who threatened Barcelona the most.
Against Arsenal and Real, Barcelona players sought every opportunity to harass or beg the match officials for favors. Deceiving the officials was there hallmark in those two matches. too bad the refs for the Real match 1 and the Arsenal Match 2 were simply not up to the task. Otherwise, Arsenal would have edged a Barca side that needed to win at least 2-0 to qualify; needless to highlight that without the ref's assistance, Barca would not have beaten Arsenal 2-0 or 3-1. I have heard a lot about Arsenal not having a shot at goal but no one seems to note that Barca only had 2 shots at goal throughout the first half - that is before the refs negative impact became more telling.

As for Real, Senor Mourinho obviously had a game plan to undo Barca effectively by absorbing all Barca had to offer for 60 minutes, then pummelling them with fast breaks and counter for the remaining 30minutes. (Kaka was already warming up on the sidelines for the phase 2 of the strategy). again, Barcelona wouldn't have survived, just has they did not survive the Cope del Rey. Some "ignoramus" speak of Real being "negative", was Mohammed Ali being negative when he decided to absorb everything Foreman has to offer, rather than brawl for 90% of the rumble in the jungle fight? Was Ali not effective when he pounced on Foreman at last and knocked him out with a flurry of punches? Was Mourihno's strategy not similar and progressively effective in producing the result he desired?

If either the Ref in charge during the Arsenal match or the Real Match had been in place against Man-U, the outcome would have been a lot more hellish for the red devils.

BTW, the Barcelona players did not have to shift into higher gears against Man-U as they did against Real and Arsenal.
The barcelona players did not have to solicit favours from the referee or go to extra lengths to deceive and win decisions as they did against Real and Arsenal
The Barcelona players did not have to harass the ref by insinuating time wasting against Arsenal even when a barca player had caused the stoppage infringement.

Did any one notice the possession ratio between Barcelona and Man-U. And that's supposed to be the best Man-U can offer?

Man-U fans, be objective or shut up! It could have been worse but Barcelona did not have to go into as high a gear as they did against Arsenal and Real Madrid.
Now, Man-U fans, bore me with how your team won in 1994 and i'll remind you we are talking about 2011 CL. Your team was white washed.
Barca for life!!!
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by tocdee(m): 11:36am On May 31, 2011
av@a:

y'all want to know which of Man-U & Arsenal team played better against Barcelona in UEFA CL 2011? If you really want to know, ask Barcelona players and pitch-side staff. I would suggest you add real madrid to your enquiry and listen to what the blaugrana has to say.

The dispositions and attitudes of each member of the blaugrana (from coach to reserve goalkeeper) says a lot about who threatened Barcelona the most.
Against Arsenal and Real, Barcelona players sought every opportunity to harass or beg the match officials for favors. Deceiving the officials was there hallmark in those two matches.
Barca for life!!!

This has got to be the most moronic comment on NL. So you are of the opinion that Barcelona wouldn't have had the better of Arsenal or Real Madrid without the decisions? Wake up. I can assure you that Arsenal is light years away from this Barca team. United is a lot closer and Real is even closer.
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by babyboy3(m): 11:55am On May 31, 2011
Well the actual fact is that Barcelona found it easy to beat Arsenal because the way they play, Arsenal does not have an out let when they play, they have to pass their way out and Barcelona made it difficult for them, Manchester could go long and by pass the midfield…
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by davd: 12:02pm On May 31, 2011
If we should say Arsenal is better than Man U, then Patrice Evra is faulty in describing Arsenal as babies after their(Man U) Champion league 2 legged 4-1 win match over Arsenal in 2009. Well, for 2011 champion league match against Barcelona, Arsenal play much more better than Man u. Manchester United players are now the NEW BABIES IN 2011.
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by mbulela: 12:10pm On May 31, 2011
how you can compare both is baffling.
football fans are obsessed with comparisons.
if they are not comparing two footballers who played 40 years apart, they are comparing two teams with different fundamentals or comparing matches of different magnitude.
how can you compare a two legged round with a one off final?
The obsession with comaprisons are interesting but after a while it gets a bit boring.
It soon descends to all this if my aunty had balls,she would have been my uncle analogies.
btw,it is so pathetic that Arsenal fans seem to define their season by the 'fact' that they were the best losers to Europe's best.
How more pathetic can it be?
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by chelseabmw(m): 12:12pm On May 31, 2011
Arsenal performed more than Baby Manutd
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by ava2: 12:13pm On May 31, 2011
tocdee:

This has got to be the most moronic comment on NL. So you are of the opinion that Barcelona wouldn't have had the better of Arsenal or Real Madrid without the decisions? Wake up. I can assure you that Arsenal is light years away from this Barca team. United is a lot closer and Real is even closer.

Obviously, that's why Man-U performed worse than Arsenal considering the ref was not miffed.
Man-U is closer but lost to Arsenal in the premiership. The difference between Man-U and Arsenal must be light years.  grin

Never mind, I'll ignore your moronic manners the next time. I should let such guys be, as are not capable of basic structured reasoning.
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by medocity(m): 2:52pm On May 31, 2011
well! well!! well!!! from my own perspective, i think we can't compare the two teams at different stages of the competition cos Arsenal met Barca at the round of 16 while United played them at the finals, to me, it of different options cos round of 16 is a 2 legged game while the final is just 1, But United are flops tongue grin
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by elampiro(m): 7:48pm On May 31, 2011
[b]Yes united flopped and dissapointed many fans and even non Man U fans who wanted a great fight. However football can be like that. It just shows Man U the next level to go. Man U eliminated Barca in 2008 Semi finals enroute to winning the trophy. Football can shift from one great team to another. Man U haven played 3 champions league finals in 4 years is centainly one of the greatest teams (or the undisputed 2nd greatest team) in Europe in recent years.

There is no need for this comparison as to who played better. We know Barca has beaten Arsenal 4-0 before. We know Arsenal almost won with 10 men in 2006 finals. We know Arsenal also beat Barca this season but lost the return leg when Van Persie was controvercially sent off, though Arsenal were held in a quarter of their side of the pitch for most of the 90 mins in that 2nd leg. But we want Asenal to eliminate Barca next season. This is what matters. [/b]
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by vislabraye(m): 8:49pm On May 31, 2011
Arsenal deserved to knock out Barca. They were the only team to have been defeated by Arsenal. Soemtimes I tend to believe that the ref was bribed. We all know that Fifa is corrupt
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by Nobody: 2:13am On Jun 01, 2011
I love how no one acknowledged the facts Samson posted earlier lol. I'll quote them so they'll be seen again. Arsenal played better in that first match, but there's hardly any difference statistically in the second. This is why a 2-legged series can't be compared to one final match. Had we played at OT, things could've been different.

Samson A N:
I am a MAN UTD fan, but this things has to be done with facts so that we do not have blind opinions. This will guide contributors to contribute without bias or sentiment.

BARCELONA vs MAN UTD - FINAL
Possession
• Barcelona 68%
• Man Utd 32%
Attempts on target
• Barcelona 13
• Man Utd 1
Attempts off target
• Barcelona 3
• Man Utd 2
Corners
• Barcelona 6
• Man Utd 0
Fouls
• Barcelona 5
• Man Utd 16

BARCELONA VS ARSENAL
Possession
• Barcelona 67%
• Arsenal 33%
Attempts on target
• Barcelona 13
• Arsenal 0
Attempts off target
• Barcelona 6
• Arsenal 0
Corners
• Barcelona 5
• Arsenal 2
Fouls
• Barcelona 6
• Arsenal 16

ARSENAL vs BARCELONA
Possession
• Arsenal 47%
• Barcelona 53%
Attempts on target
• Arsenal 8
• Barcelona 7
Attempts off target
• Arsenal 3
• Barcelona 3
Corners
• Arsenal 4
• Barcelona 1
Fouls
• Arsenal 16
• Barcelona 12
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by Callfubu(m): 5:50am On Jun 01, 2011
All u stupid gunner haterz, nobody said arsenal was not a weak team. They have bin faultin 4 six years and personally i'm tired of the bullshit. But the poster said which team played better, it was quite obvious or is it because of the arrogance of man u supporters that u decided to divert the issue to team hating, 4get the pressure of the stage. Arsenal played beta chikena
Re: Did Arsenal Play Better Than Manchester United Against Barcelona? by baslone: 9:24am On Jun 02, 2011
Now everyone is on United's neck

Iker Casillas believes that Real Madrid would have beaten Manchester United in
the Champions League final, and that Spain's top two sides are the best in Europe.

The Blancos were eliminated by bitter rival Barcelona in the semifinals of the tournament
and Pep Guardiola's men went on to beat the Red Devils 3-1 at Wembley last Saturday.

"If Madrid had played the final of the Champions League we would also have earned [victory]
against United," the Spanish number one told Sport. "I knew whoever won the Madrid-Barca
semi-final was going to win [the competition]. We are the two strongest teams in Europe."

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/88/spain/2011/06/01/2513397/iker-casillas-real-madrid-would-have-beaten-manchester-united-in-

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ucl: Chelsea Vs Manchester United [0 - 1]On 6th April 2011 / PSG Vs Real Madrid : UCL (0 - 0) On 21st October 2015 / UCL: Chelsea(4) Vs Liverpool(4) [Agg 7 - 5] On Tuesday April 14th

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.