Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,741 members, 7,827,735 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others (14118 Views)

Petroleum Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Protest, Threaten To Exit NUPENG / Maritime Workers Begin Nationwide Strike On Monday / Electricity Workers Begin Nationwide Strike, Blackout Looms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by Traplord09: 8:20am On Oct 08, 2021
THERE are strong indications that Petroleum Tanker Drivers, PTD, branch of the Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers, NUPENG, may begin a nationwide strike any moment from today over the deplorable conditions of federal roads across the country and two other pending issues.

The other grievances of the tanker drivers are perceived refusal of the federal government to enforce the compulsory installation of safety valve in all petroleum trucks to protect the inflammable contents from spilling over in a situation of road mishaps and alleged continued abuse of the tonnage capacity of Petroleum trucks by marketers and transporters across the country.

Recall that leaders of PTD had on September 25, issued an October 8, 2021 deadline to the Federal Government to address these pending issues, failing which members would down tools and resume the nationwide strike earlier scheduled for March 27, 2021, but was shelved after assurances by the government that the issues would be addressed.

Vanguard investigation revealed that since the strike notice was given on September 25, and October 7, not only had demands not been addressed, there had not been efforts by the government or its agents to reach out to the union.

An official of PTD who spoke to Vanguard on condition of anonymity, said “I have nothing to tell you other than that our ultimatum will expire tomorrow (Friday, October cool. As at today, Thursday, October 7, nothing has changed. The ultimatum subsists.”

On what will happen after the expiration, he said “the communiqué we issued on September 25, 2021 in Enugu has explained our next line of action. Do not forget, since Monday September 27, we have been on a work-to-rule action in accordance with the communiqué. Well, if you must know, the nationwide may begin this weekend or any moment after tomorrow (Friday).”

Leaders of PTD had in a communiqué issued at the end of its Branch Executive Council, BEC, meeting in Enugu, members resolved to begin a work-to-rule action from Monday, September 27.

The communiqué said among others, “Council in session observed with grave concerns and disappointment the deplorable and shameful conditions of the Nigeria highways inspite of several calls and threats we have issued to the various layers of governments. These highways have turned to death traps and dens of trucks hijackers for the Petroleum Tanker Drivers. Our members are losing their lives and sources of livelihood on hourly basis.

“The list of these highways is endless and Petroleum Tanker Drivers have been going through harrowing situations even while rendering selfless national services, to ensure delivery of Petroleum products to homes and factories in every nook and cranny of this country, day and nights, in good and bad weather.”

On Trucks Safety Valve, the communiqué said “The Branch Executive Council in session reviewed with sadness, pains and deep worries the suspension of the ultimatum issued by the Branch Executive Council on the 27th March 2021 over the increasing rate of fire incidences involving petroleum trucks with accompanying massive destruction of lives and properties of our members and general public.”
https://www-vanguardngr-com.cdn.ampproject.org/wp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2021/10/tanker-drivers-begin-nationwide-strike-weekend-over-bad-roads-others/amp/?usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D

8 Likes

Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by Segzy22: 8:22am On Oct 08, 2021
Are they not going to resume until all the roads are fixed. Waste of time

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by Aidejay(m): 8:22am On Oct 08, 2021
Are they not among the reasons why the roads are bad. If no be to dey create traffic na to park for side, their accident dey always dey very disastrous.

And any accident dem go run first. Leave all the people dying and suffering.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by benuejosh: 8:26am On Oct 08, 2021
When Buhari is done with the rail construction, most of this petroleum products will be transported by rail to reduce their road activities. 60% of spoilt roads are caused by this guys.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by Amspecial: 8:34am On Oct 08, 2021
grin
Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by mbahdi(m): 8:34am On Oct 08, 2021
B
Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by hakym619(m): 8:34am On Oct 08, 2021
Take my signature seriously. You're not inputing even a Kobo on it.
Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by eherbal(m): 8:34am On Oct 08, 2021
The said bad roads should be mentioned in the communique. We have thousands of bad roads in Nigeria. The failed roads which are largely plied should be top priorities for repairs, and the safety measures on dispensing should be taken seriously. But this is Nigeria,we dont respond to preventives,till it turn out to crisis undecided

6 Likes

Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by SarkinYarki: 8:34am On Oct 08, 2021
Has road ever been good in Nigeria

7 Likes

Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by ThinkWISELY(m): 8:34am On Oct 08, 2021
Both parties are at fault , would be glad if the government gives a positive feedback,it's long over due.

Most roads are like death trap.

3 Likes

Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by JavaScript90: 8:35am On Oct 08, 2021
Abeg make dem no try am. I know what I passed through when they had problem with uzodinma in IMO state last month. I waka throughout owerri no filling station was selling fuel. During the peak of the crisis I bought a liter for 600. I had to travel to abia state to get fuel.

Please their demands should be met

8 Likes

Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by Dozie32(m): 8:35am On Oct 08, 2021
I don't blame them, these people has really suffered here in the east..

1 Like

Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by vinceyinnovation: 8:35am On Oct 08, 2021
Is it not their big tyres that have been pounding the road since...
It is their big ogas at the top that supposed to be agitating for good roads so that their _____ gotten wealth industries can move round the country.
Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by Nobody: 8:35am On Oct 08, 2021
Aidejay:
Are they not among the reasons why the roads are bad. If no be to dey create traffic na to park for side, their accident dey always dey very disastrous.

And any accident dem go run first. Leave all the people dying and suffering.

Not their fault really

Because we dont have a functioning nationwide railway and waterway transport system, all the frieght transport in this country is by roads and that puts pressure on the roads.

Thats on government ( in fairness to the goverment though they are fixing the railways but it would take lots of time to get them running well)

2 Likes

Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by psychologist(m): 8:36am On Oct 08, 2021
This Contree is finished
The poor can no longer afford 2 square meal

Now pms is set to be scarce

But we are particularly concerned about SWAGA
Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by Nezzjnr: 8:36am On Oct 08, 2021
Aren't they part of the people spoiling the Road.

Just look at Road leading to Nitel in Satellite Town
Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by Nobody: 8:36am On Oct 08, 2021
Wonders shall never end. Tankers owners and drivers spoil our road. And they are protesting. Chai. OMG! shocked

1 Like

Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by Raxxye(m): 8:36am On Oct 08, 2021
Aside the hardship it would bring Nigerians, we are in support if it will force this insensitive govt to work on the dilapidated roads especially in the South!

2 Likes

Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by Lush100(m): 8:37am On Oct 08, 2021
benuejosh:
When Buhari is done with the rail construction, most of this petroleum products will be transported by rail to reduce their road activities. 60% of spoilt roads are caused by this guys.

That is what you think.
When the time come,
Maybe non-criminal bandits will be transported.
I'm just joking with you oh. Na play grin

1 Like

Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by poka7(m): 8:37am On Oct 08, 2021
That auchi Road......God help us all
Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by WibusJaga: 8:37am On Oct 08, 2021

Wahala be like NUPENG strikes; e no de ever finish.
We are just treating symptoms in this country instead of the real ailment.
Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by TenQ: 8:38am On Oct 08, 2021
Didn't you hear Buhari saying that they have tared 20 million kilometers of road just before the election! ?

Audio repairs!
I am hoping that Buhari will do third term so that we can vote him in again to kuku finally disintegrate the Nation.

3 Likes

Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by Angrygoat: 8:38am On Oct 08, 2021
Fuel scarcity loading. All the roads in naija are bad. Tokunbo car I bought,my ball joint came off at 50kph,thank God my abs was working,no damage to fender,just mug guard damage, all due to bad roads wey I dey ply daily. In my area,pot holes are like 1000 .
Na only Abuja u go fir drive tokunbo car for 3 years and e go still be like tokunbo.

3 Likes

Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by jaynom009: 8:38am On Oct 08, 2021
failed
Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by oluwaseunamos33(m): 8:38am On Oct 08, 2021
Mtchewwww. Everybody dey protests even tanker driver too dey protests, no be them spoiled am, no be we wey dey use Rolls Royce, Bentley & Benz suppos dey protest
Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by Aidejay(m): 8:39am On Oct 08, 2021
anorexicmuster:

Not their fault really

Because we dont have a functioning nationwide railway and waterway transport system, all the frieght transport in this country is by roads and that puts pressure on the roads.

Thats on government ( in fairness to the goverment though they are fixing the railways but it would take lots of time to get them running well)
understandable. Nigerian roads will be much safer with those guys off it.
Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by Amudeneogu: 8:39am On Oct 08, 2021
Wahara dey ooo
Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by Angrygoat: 8:40am On Oct 08, 2021
Dry harmattan season,I'm already feeling sick,n
Who no get ac,go hear am. Not like naija get steady light.im tired of buying fuel,I need solar of 25batteries
Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by Aidejay(m): 8:40am On Oct 08, 2021
benuejosh:
I don't think those people are going to allow railway put them out of business that easy. I expect some saboteurs who will try to endear the already existing status quo.

1 Like

Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by phransix2: 8:45am On Oct 08, 2021
And N190Billion has been spent on road construction and rehabilitation oh... who do us this thing ehn?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nairametrics.com/2020/10/15/fg-earmarks-over-n190-billion-for-road-construction-in-the-6-geo-political-zones-by-2021/%3famp=1
Re: Tanker Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike Weekend Over Bad Roads, Others by Maxymilliano(m): 8:46am On Oct 08, 2021
Vanguard investigation revealed that since the strike notice was given on September 25, and October 7, not only had demands not been addressed, there had not been efforts by the government or its agents to reach out to the union.
This is the height of government insensibility ... The strike is wholly endorsed if it is the only language the government will understand

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lawan And His 'bow And Go' Crew By Oke Umurhohwo / Debts Exceeded Revenues In Lagos, Cross River, FCT, Others – FRC / I Did Not Endorse Obi For Presidency - Aniebiet Inyang Ntui (UNICAL Librarian)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.