Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,157 members, 7,811,318 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:14 AM

Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? (14638 Views)

Peter Obi Reacts To Pandora Papers Scandal / Pandora Papers: Inside Peter Obi’s Secret Businesses — And How He Broke The Law / Pandora Papers: Global Investigation Exposes Secrets Of Some Of Nigeria’s Elite (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by KingOfAmebo(m): 11:14pm On Oct 11, 2021
Pandora Papers: Global investigation exposes secrets of some of Nigeria’s rich and powerful

A new global investigation exposing the offshore hideaways of some of the world’s most powerful personalities is launching today after two years of discreet work by investigative journalists around the world.

The project, known as Pandora Papers, is facilitated by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ), which obtained a trove of 11.9 million confidential files. The reporting, which is still ongoing, involves more than 600 journalists from 150 news organisations around the world.

The journalists spent two years studying and sorting files, contextualising information, tracking down sources and analysing public records and other documents.

The collaboration has so far revealed the financial secrets of not less than 35 current and former world leaders, more than 330 public officials in more than 91 countries and territories.

The question is, Since taxes are ment to cater for the development of a country as obtainable in developed nations, Why would our so called businessmen, politcians and clergymen chose to pay taxes "secretly" to economies of other countries while leaving the country they claim to love impoverished?

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/487959-pandora-papers-global-investigation-exposes-secrets-of-some-of-nigerias-rich-and-powerful.html

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by meccuno: 11:40pm On Oct 11, 2021
Senseless post.The one you have paid, what have you done with it.

119 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by KingOfAmebo(m): 11:45pm On Oct 11, 2021
meccuno:

Senseless to you, but have you asked yourself how the developed nations you cherish so much get to where they are now? Where do you think developed nations get the money they used to develop their nations aside mineral and human resources that you have in aboundance?

If you tax the rich the poor won't have to suffer.

184 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Afamed: 12:02am On Oct 12, 2021
KingOfAmebo:

Senseless to you, but have you asked yourself how the developed nations you cherish so much get to where they are now? Where do you think developed nations get the money they used to develop their nations aside mineral and human resources that you have in aboundance?

If you tax the rich the poor won't have to suffer.
It will definitely be senseless to you, since Tinubu or PMB names were not involved. Biggest hypocrite .
They want China fast growing economy. They want China technology development. They want China good roads network.
But they don't want China law where people with questionable character like him would have been summary executed

98 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by budaatum: 12:05am On Oct 12, 2021
I guess we have not yet realised that by the sweat of our brow will we eat our food until we return to the ground.

When we do realise we will all invest in ourselves.

Good question, op!

KingOfAmebo:

The question is, Since taxes are ment to cater for the development of a country as obtainable in developed nations, Why would our so called businessmen, politcians and clergymen chose to pay taxes "secretly" to economies of other countries while leaving the country they claim to love impoverished?

Seun, Lalasticlala, Mynd44, TonyeBarcanista, Midolian, NwaAmaikpe, Officialgarri, Fergie001, SupermodelVicky, Omenka, Modath, Ireneony, Abeg make una help us ask them ooo.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/487959-pandora-papers-global-investigation-exposes-secrets-of-some-of-nigerias-rich-and-powerful.html

11 Likes

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by RiceProducers: 12:15am On Oct 12, 2021
meccuno:

Typical Nigerian thinking and language. Completely meaninglessness.
Anyway tax avoidance by hiding money in a tax haven as smarty pants businessman is a case that the owner of a global company like Facebook or Twitter makes.
It is not expected of a third world prospective Presidential or VP.
The electorate of the second largest population of poor people country won't forget when you come to ask for votes

64 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Validated: 12:24am On Oct 12, 2021
KingOfAmebo:

Seun, Lalasticlala, Mynd44, TonyeBarcanista, Midolian, NwaAmaikpe, Officialgarri, Fergie001, SupermodelVicky, Omenka, Modath, Ireneony, Abeg make una help us ask them ooo.

Op, I earn my income in country my business situates and pay taxes there. If I earn income in Nigeria, I pay taxes to FIRS. If my investment in UK makes profit, why should I pay double, one to UK and another to Nigeria? You are not learned enough forthe topic you embarked on

68 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Nobody: 12:42am On Oct 12, 2021
Puta Saint Hoebi is a fraud. You expect okoro to turn on his brother? Dem no be Yoruba na, na Yoruba that one fit work on, just cough Tinubu and see how his blood brothers destroy him in seconds

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by KingOfAmebo(m): 12:46am On Oct 12, 2021
Validated:

Op, I earn my income in country my business situates and pay taxes there. If I earn income in Nigeria, I pay taxes to FIRS. If my investment in UK makes profit, why should I pay double, one to UK and another to Nigeria? You are not learned enough forthe topic you embarked on

"The difference is you are doing your business openly and paying the right taxes as when due, but our businessmen, politcians and clergymen are doing it secretly to cut corners...Why would you trust them if all they do is cut corners?

Now tell me, who is more learned on matters as this?". - Village People spokesperson.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Angeldemon: 1:18am On Oct 12, 2021
Most Nigerians dont like paying tax because the governments havent been using it for what its meant for. Instead they embezle it.
So paying tax in Nigeria is like just dashing your money to a random man on the street for no reason

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by money121(m): 5:37am On Oct 12, 2021
Noted
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by SmartPolician: 6:21am On Oct 12, 2021
KingOfAmebo

I think you should make specific references because everyone on that list has a unique story.

As for Peter Obi, he has already explained his in that video posted here yesterday.

According to him, when the company that operates an offshore account was floated, he lived in London. You cannot be based in London and be paying taxes to Nigeria.

He added that the company was operated that way based on the professional advice of a consulting firm (he gave its name), noting that it was never unlawful to do it. He also said that the company wasn't used to launder money before, during and after his term as governor.

To date, I will continue to hold Peter Obi and Donald Duke in high esteem because they are the only two former governors who are active in politics and weren't invited by the EFCC for money laundering scandals after spending 8 years in office. That's commendable!

70 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by ATEAMS: 7:00am On Oct 12, 2021
The black elites hides funds they didn't work for with the white ... whiles the white elite use the stolen funds for the betterment of their country and citizens

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by SenatePresdo(m): 7:00am On Oct 12, 2021
SlyDev:
Puta Saint Hoebi is a fraud. You expect okoro to turn on his brother? Dem no be Yoruba na, na Yoruba that one fit work on, just cough Tinubu and see how his blood brothers destroy him in seconds

Nigeria to the Mud, I rather pay Tax to Somalia than to pay it to Nigeria.

Who told you Igbos care about the welfare of Nigeria?

E no go ever better for Nigeria, na ogun go kill Nigeria Las Las.

7 Likes

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by BigSarah(f): 7:00am On Oct 12, 2021
angry
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by WhatCanIsay(m): 7:02am On Oct 12, 2021
I'm yet to see anyone no matter how sanctimonious they are being happy paying taxes in Nigeria.

You and I will always find ways to limit the amount we pay in taxes. Even Premium Newspaper are in the same boat with us, even the journalist that penned this opinion. We all seeking for means to minimise what we pay, especially with the shittiness of the present regime where the price of everything have more than doubled.

So who is this sanctimonious prik

8 Likes

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by chloride6: 7:02am On Oct 12, 2021
So we have finally come down from the pedestal of illegality, and have landed at the feet of moral suasion.

Taxes are commensurate to economic activity.

You don't pay taxes in Nigeria on profit earned abroad. You pay the taxes to the Sovereign Authority there. Likewise you pay taxes on profit earned in Nigeria here in Nigeria.

Nigeria recognizes this and has put in place several double tax treaties implementing this.

11 Likes

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Nobody: 7:03am On Oct 12, 2021
How I wish all this 600 useless journalists can be punished, tarnishing the image of this country and blackmail people names with there quack report

7 Likes

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by benuejosh: 7:03am On Oct 12, 2021
OK. Tax avoidance and evasion has been one of the great challenges of Nigeria tax system.

1 Like

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by fastseo: 7:04am On Oct 12, 2021
Some store money away there to avoid unnecessary freezing of their account by Government.

You think am, Nigeria is not safe, most big men knows this, incase of war or any/ a government that don't respect rule of law freeze their account they could quickly get out and still remain afloat

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Bendeco02: 7:04am On Oct 12, 2021
Nawa o
You guys are just restless... Why Yorubas are afraid of Peter obi.. Thought Jagaban is more relevant than him yet you guys keep opening topic upon topic to tarnish his image, but the man is smarter than you all.

Yet to see a northerner or any other region discussing or opening threads on this Peter Obi's pandora matter except Yorubas.

After their excuse is that Igbos are supporting their corrupt politicians, while the man is yet to be find guilty.... Have they ever seen Igbos surpoting Orjiuzo kalu, Rochas or Andy uba

24 Likes

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by OnyeObodo: 7:04am On Oct 12, 2021
Tinubu hss 30 accounts in the US.

Does he love Yorubaland?

13 Likes

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by kcnwaigbo: 7:05am On Oct 12, 2021
So you expect Peter Obi to make his money in the UK and pay taxes in Nigeria?

13 Likes

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by BluntTheApostle(m): 7:05am On Oct 12, 2021
meccuno:

Yours is the senseless post.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by potent5(m): 7:06am On Oct 12, 2021
meccuno:
It's a stoopid post. Op wants someone to invest in this country without level playing field, where a rich few are given import waivers and allowed to have monopolies.

It's worse than a senseless post.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by drealaz24(m): 7:07am On Oct 12, 2021
Afamed:

It will definitely be senseless to you, since Tinubu or PMB names were not involved. Biggest hypocrite

You just called pmb and tinubu man of integrity, free of charge.

5 Likes

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Noshitboi(m): 7:07am On Oct 12, 2021
But to be frank, what happens to the VAT and other taxes collected by government. Where do the money go? What do they use it for? See ehn, in this Nigeria if I have my way I will very much love tp evade tax. Imagine our taxes being used to pay bandit's ransom up north. It makes no sense!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Karlirk: 7:09am On Oct 12, 2021
PETER OBI is the best man Nigeria needs now for the sake of young people and their frustrations with life in Nigeria. The man knows how to spread developments across all sectors simultaneously. He invested heavily in healthcare, education, Road construction and others as the governor of Anambra and brought in lots of investors to the state.

Nigeria should do everything to support his Presidency. I am so sure he will bring about the cancelling of much of the debts of the country.

This is the time for the South to rally round the South East, so that it wouldn't make the Southern Governor's Forum lose its momentum, at least for now. You may never have a chance at a better Nigerian Presidency than now.

Personally, if Peter Obi fails to make it at the end of the day, I am definitely relocating out of this country because it means Nigeria may never get better again.

How can such a man go the extra miles to prove his innocence and you are Still setting tougher barriers for him. The current president did not do half of these when he was campaigning to be President.

14 Likes

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by BlackyOne: 7:09am On Oct 12, 2021
1. Multiple taxation
2. They know these taxes go into their colleagues pocket.
3. They also know that these taxes doesn't reflect in the development of the country because of them and their colleagues

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by BluntTheApostle(m): 7:10am On Oct 12, 2021
olaniyiYAH:
How I wish all this 600 useless journalists can be punished, tarnishing the image of this country and blackmail people names with there quack report

So, only Nigerians were exposed abi?

You did not see Tony Blair and his wife on the list?

The problem with you Nigerians is that you encourage the evil that your countrymen do. That is why the country is retrogressing. When your intentions are just as bad as the intentions of your political and religious leaders.

You will never find a British supporting the Blairs in their mess.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Highways: 7:12am On Oct 12, 2021
The fact that all the tax is going to the North is enough reason to stop paying tax ... Why can't the leeches collect enough tax from the millions that vote during elections?? None sense people...

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nine Die As Boko-Haram Fights Fake Members / Goodluck Ebele Jonathan's Score Card / How FG Fuelled Buhari's Death Rumour - Niran Adedokun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.