Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,060 members, 7,828,740 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:30 PM

The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife (2054 Views)

The Ooni Of Ife Wearing The Aare Crown As He Parades The Ancient Ife Town / Zaynab-Otiti Obanor: Ooni Of Ife's Ex-Wife Olori Wuraola In New York (Photos) / Photo Of Ooni Of Ife's New Wife As Claimed By Women Of Rubies (But It Is Fake) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Reflect7: 5:31am On Oct 14, 2021
Ife Paved Roads dated 800 AD

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/pave/hd_pave.htm

The categories given to the distinct periods of ancient Ife’s artistic production center around the paving of the city’s courtyards and passageways with terracotta bricks sometime around 1000 A.D., marking the beginning of Ife’s Pavement period.

This practice is thought to be associated with the urbanization of Ife.

The origin of the pavement is explained in a popular story: according to Yoruba mythology, Queen Oluwo ordered the construction of the pavements when her robes were muddied in the dirt.

A centre of political and religious power, Ife has been a formidable city-state through much of the second millennium A.D. The flowering of Ife art coincided with the commercial expansion of the neighboring city-state of Oyo, a strategically placed trading centre, that channeled goods coming down the Niger River from the Songhai empire to Ife and other centers. The aesthetic style developed during the Pavement period of Ife art has been an ongoing influence in Yoruba sculptural styles since its inception. ...

Excerpt:

http://historum.com/middle-eastern-african-history/71640-potsherd-pavements-ile-ife.html

''Ile-Ife is the most ancient Yoruba city, and is still venerated today by the Yoruba as their main cultural and religious center. It's practically a holy city. You may know of Ile-Ife due to its highly sophisticated terracotta and bronze castings, but did you know that the city had a complex system of paved roads? Evidently, an oral tradition concerning the distinguished Yoruba ruler Ono Olowo, apparently she was walking around the capital when her regalia was splattered with mud. Very upset, the Queen ordered the construction of pavements around all of the public and religious places of Ife(courtyards, shrines), made of ceramic tiles from pots. A quote concerning how potsherd pavements are created:

How The Pavements Were Built

''The pathway or courtyard to be paved would be prepared by leveling the ground. The potsherds were then prepared by breaking them into pieces. The soil was then well-kneaded to make for a good sub-base providing the working platform. The soil base was mixed with residual water from the palm-oil industry and left to ferment for two to three days. In the absence of residual water from the palm-oil base, the soil was mixed with palm-oil. Where there was no palm-oil, the soil was left to ferment longer, say, one-week. Mixing the soil with palm-oil was done to provide uniform heating when the pavement was being "baked'.

After the base was prepared, the potsherds were then stuck into the prepared soil and then arranged into whatever design was desired, be it herringbone or straight-row design. The pavement was then left to dry out before being "baked". In the baking process, dry wood and shrubs were packed on top of the pavement and set on fire''
''.

Typical Paved Courtyard In Ancient Ife

World famous Ife Bronzes, dated 10th to 14th centuries

3 Likes

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by aremuforlife(m): 5:34am On Oct 14, 2021
Civilization started in Africa
Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Reflect7: 5:35am On Oct 14, 2021
aremuforlife:
Civilization started in Africa

No doubt.

Africa is the Cradle of Civilization.

But her people have ....forgotten.
Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Reflect7: 5:40am On Oct 14, 2021
Ife Museum, with exhibit of ancient pavement

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Reflect7: 5:52am On Oct 14, 2021
13th century Ife Terracota head recently returned by the Netherlands.

When these masterpieces were first looted by Europeans and sent to Europe in the 17th century, the European intelligentsia refuse to believe that this was the work of Africans.

Only after several teams were sent to Ife to investigate and research the area did it finally become accepted in Europe that the Ife masterpieces was completely devoid of European or foreign influence.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by yanabasee2: 5:58am On Oct 14, 2021
Reflect7:

No doubt.

Africa is the Cradle of Civilization.

But her people have ....forgotten.

Lol... And Africa is this backward from the civilization you alleged they created.....

Ordinary steady power supply is a rocket science.... Bad roads and infrastructural development is taking them centuries to achieve...
Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by bestpunterever: 6:01am On Oct 14, 2021
what a turnaround!

from early civilization to a shithole
Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Reflect7: 6:03am On Oct 14, 2021
yanabasee2:

Lol... And Africa is this backward from the civilization you alleged they created.....

Ordinary steady power supply is a rocket science.... Bad roads and infrastructural development is taking them centuries to achieve...

Who are ''them''?

We always know your type - the traitors and sellouts among us.

By your own words.

You never say ''us'' or ''our'' when discussing your fatherland.

Always ''you'', or ''them'', like you are not an African.

And by the way, try to appreciate your history without swimming in colonial-conditioned self-hatred and inferiority complex for once in your life.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Reflect7: 6:06am On Oct 14, 2021
bestpunterever:
what a turn around!

from earlier civilization to a shithole

OH SHUT UP, you dense cretin.

Do you folks actually realise that 80% of the world comprises developing countries like Nigeria?

Will your colonial mentality and brainwashing allow you to see the world beyond ''USA, Germany, UK'' and that tiny portion of humanity that lives in the 'advanced' world?

People like you need to get your heads out of the west and travel the REAL world.

Then you will see that being in development is the NORM across the Earth, and is nothing to be ashamed of, and nothing to feel inferior about.

Rubbish.

2 Likes

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by bestpunterever: 6:12am On Oct 14, 2021
Reflect7:

OH SHUT UP, you ignoramus.

Do you dunces actually realise that 80% of the world comprises developing countries like Nigeria?

Will your colonial mentality allow you to see beyond ''USA, Germany, UK'' and that tiny portion of humanity that lives in the 'advanced' world?

you idiot! that does not change the fact that Nigeria and the rest of the black africian nations are shitholes .
get sense you this son of a puta lacucaracha!
Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Reflect7: 6:15am On Oct 14, 2021
bestpunterever:
you idiot! that does not change the fact that Nigeria and the rest of the black africian nations are a shithole .
get sense you this puta lacucaracha!

Dude, Africa is the fastest growing continental economy on Earth. With the fastest growing middle class on earth.

That YOU are a failure in life does not transmit to all Africa.

Get off your lazy behind and do something useful with your worthless life instead of blaming others and 'Africa' for your uselessness.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by bestpunterever: 6:19am On Oct 14, 2021
Reflect7:

Dude, Africa is the fastest growing continental economy on Earth. With the fastest growing middle class on earth.

That YOU are a failure in life does not transmit to all Africa.

Get off your lazy behind and do something useful with your life instead of blaming others and 'Africa' for your uselessness.

you this son of a puta!
I have made more money in life that none of your family could ever made.
all black African nations are shitholes, know this and know peace that your life has ever lack.

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Reflect7: 6:21am On Oct 14, 2021
Useless failures blaming 'Africa'.

Independent 'Africa' has given you education, exposure, and basic infrastructure where the colonialists left your people stark illiterate in the bush like your grandpa.

What have you done with it apart from groan in uselessness?

In this same Africa millions of people are doing great things through sheer hard work and self belief.

2 Likes

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Reflect7: 6:23am On Oct 14, 2021
bestpunterever:
you this son of a puta!
I have made more money in life that none of your family could ever made.
all black African nations are shitholes, know this and know peace that your life has ever lack.

Come on get lost from here.

Unemployed, broke-ass low life.

How many ''black nations'' has your broke ass visited, to know what is what?

After CNN brainwashes your already dumb head with negative African news, what is left but self-hate?

5 Likes

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by bestpunterever: 6:31am On Oct 14, 2021
Reflect7:

Come on get lost from here.

Unemployed, broke-ass low life.

How many ''black nations'' has your broke ass visited, to know what is what?

After CNN brainwashes your already dumb head with negative African news, what is left but self-hate?

Lol, I can see that you are a frustrated fellow and you don't have a standard, that you settled for a destitution does not mean other should.
how many streets are paved in your community?
oponu omokekere!

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by yanabasee2: 6:34am On Oct 14, 2021
Reflect7:

Who are ''them''?

We always know your type - the traitors and sellouts among us.

By your own words.

You never say ''us'' or ''our'' when discussing your fatherland.

Always ''you'', or ''them'', like you are not an African.

And by the way, try to appreciate your history without swimming in colonial-conditioned self-hatred and inferiority complex for once in your life.

Your comprehension level is very low....

You alleged that Africa is the cradle of civilization....

And I pointed out that the Africa you claimed created civilization is totally backward....

And you digress into something far beyond your age....

How do you know that I am an African person?
Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Reflect7: 6:39am On Oct 14, 2021
bestpunterever:
Lol, I can see that you are a frustrated fellow and you don't have a standard, that you settled for a destitution does not mean other should.
how many streets are paved in your community?
oponu omokekere!

Actually most streets are paved in my community.

You need to leave your ghetto and travel around.

Not every African is living in your wretched condition.

2 Likes

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Reflect7: 6:42am On Oct 14, 2021
yanabasee2:

And I pointed out that the Africa you claimed created civilization is totally backward....

First of all you are a complete dunce to describe Africa as ''totally backward''.

What does that even mean?

No country on earth is ''totally backward''.

That is only something said by people consumed in self hatred and inferiority complex.

Leave that state of mind and you will find that there is a lot to appreciate about your background.

I know you are not an African by the way. There are many of you demonic people here on this site doing what goodness only knows,

2 Likes

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by bestpunterever: 6:43am On Oct 14, 2021
Reflect7:

Actually most streets are paved in my community.

You need to leave your ghetto and travel around.

Not every African is living in your wretched condition.
pathological liar, where is your community?
I won't be surprised, if you are below 16yrs of age.
Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Reflect7: 6:46am On Oct 14, 2021
bestpunterever:
pathological liar, where is your community? I won't be surprised, if you are below 16yrs of age.

Me. Tell you MY community?

Sorry, that is none of your business.

Word of advice: Leave your slum dwelling. There are NUMEROUS places in Nigeria with beautiful paved streets and lovely amenities.

Port Harcourt

Lagos

Abuja

Oh, and I am not 16.

YOU are clearly below 16 in your level of awareness, exposure, and intelligence.

2 Likes

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by bestpunterever: 6:55am On Oct 14, 2021
Reflect7:

Me. Tell you MY community?

Sorry, that is none of your business.

Word of advice: Leave your slum dwelling. There are NUMEROUS places in Nigeria with beautiful paved streets and lovely amenities.

I am not up to 16.

i am below 16 in my level of awareness and intelligence.

I'm done quoting a kid who is yet to write a junior waec.

I'm going to work, you should go to school this morning, stop disgracing your family.
Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Reflect7: 6:57am On Oct 14, 2021
bestpunterever:
I'm done quoting a kid who is yet to write a junior waec.

I'm going to work, you should go to school this morning, stop disgracing your family.

You have no work.

You are a jobless, disgruntled loafer and school dropout.

You said there were no areas with paved streets in Nigeria, and challenged me to state where I live.

THAT ALONE SHOWS YOUR LEVEL.

Isn't the REAL reason you hate this thread that you are an Igbo tribalist angry over another ethnic group's achievements being highlighted?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by shox(m): 7:40am On Oct 14, 2021
Came to see the paved roads.
But na para everywhere for the thread. No joy cool

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by siofra(f): 8:57am On Oct 14, 2021
yanabasee2:

Because I've only noticed this level of self hate in black Africans.

2 Likes

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Abohboy: 2:48pm On Oct 14, 2021
yanabasee2:

The damage of colonization, slavery, indirect rule, Western supported coups and bad leadership has done their toll on Africa but soon we will rise back up
Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by AlphaTaikun: 9:52am On May 01, 2022
Reflect7:
Ife Paved Roads dated 800 AD

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/pave/hd_pave.htm

The categories given to the distinct periods of ancient Ife’s artistic production center around the paving of the city’s courtyards and passageways with terracotta bricks sometime around 1000 A.D., marking the beginning of Ife’s Pavement period.

This practice is thought to be associated with the urbanization of Ife.

The origin of the pavement is explained in a popular story: according to Yoruba mythology, Queen Oluwo ordered the construction of the pavements when her robes were muddied in the dirt.

A centre of political and religious power, Ife has been a formidable city-state through much of the second millennium A.D. The flowering of Ife art coincided with the commercial expansion of the neighboring city-state of Oyo, a strategically placed trading centre, that channeled goods coming down the Niger River from the Songhai empire to Ife and other centers. The aesthetic style developed during the Pavement period of Ife art has been an ongoing influence in Yoruba sculptural styles since its inception. ...

Excerpt:

http://historum.com/middle-eastern-african-history/71640-potsherd-pavements-ile-ife.html

''Ile-Ife is the most ancient Yoruba city, and is still venerated today by the Yoruba as their main cultural and religious center. It's practically a holy city. You may know of Ile-Ife due to its highly sophisticated terracotta and bronze castings, but did you know that the city had a complex system of paved roads? Evidently, an oral tradition concerning the distinguished Yoruba ruler Ono Olowo, apparently she was walking around the capital when her regalia was splattered with mud. Very upset, the Queen ordered the construction of pavements around all of the public and religious places of Ife(courtyards, shrines), made of ceramic tiles from pots. A quote concerning how potsherd pavements are created:

How The Pavements Were Built

''The pathway or courtyard to be paved would be prepared by leveling the ground. The potsherds were then prepared by breaking them into pieces. The soil was then well-kneaded to make for a good sub-base providing the working platform. The soil base was mixed with residual water from the palm-oil industry and left to ferment for two to three days. In the absence of residual water from the palm-oil base, the soil was mixed with palm-oil. Where there was no palm-oil, the soil was left to ferment longer, say, one-week. Mixing the soil with palm-oil was done to provide uniform heating when the pavement was being "baked'.

After the base was prepared, the potsherds were then stuck into the prepared soil and then arranged into whatever design was desired, be it herringbone or straight-row design. The pavement was then left to dry out before being "baked". In the baking process, dry wood and shrubs were packed on top of the pavement and set on fire''
''.

Typical Paved Courtyard In Ancient Ife

World famous Ife Bronzes, dated 10th to 14th centuries
Deep insights.
Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by laiperi: 10:10pm On May 02, 2022
I have seen some ancient mats and rugs from the West and other parts of Nigeria.

Could anyone shed some light on their origins.
Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Emilokoiyawon: 11:59pm On May 02, 2022
Beautiful.

(1) (Reply)

Ifa Divination For The Year 2012 / World Unclad Bike Ride Photos / Africa doesnt mean black

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.