Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,766 members, 7,851,615 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 12:56 AM

Self-employed Nigerians Make Lots Of Money, Should Pay Tax – Rep - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Self-employed Nigerians Make Lots Of Money, Should Pay Tax – Rep (647 Views)

Buhari Launches Pension Plan For Self-employed Nigerians / JUST IN: Buhari Launches Pension Plan For Self-employed Nigerians / Nigerians In A Big Mess: 9 Million Employed Nigerians Now Unemployed Under Buhar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Self-employed Nigerians Make Lots Of Money, Should Pay Tax – Rep by Maxymilliano(m): 4:57pm On Oct 14, 2021

A member of the House of Representatives, Olufemi Fakeye has called on the Federal Government to tax self-employed Nigerians because they allegedly earn lots of money.

Fakeye said this on Wednesday while commenting on the 2022 budget during the plenary session on the floor of the house stating that it would enable the federal government to boost its revenue.

He said, “I’m aware right now and it has been said here that only two quarterly releases have been made now, we are in the last quarter of the year. That makes a joke of all the effort that we put in day in, day out to ensure that the budget is passed on time.

“I pay attention to revenue shortfalls for the government. I recall when I was young, everybody paid taxes. Whether you are a farmer, your daddy was a carpenter, whatever he did for a living, he paid tax.

“Now we have tended to forgive everybody their taxation except those who have an income where the tax is taken out of your income and the rest paid to you.

“I think our tax reform should be such that every Nigerian has a chance to contribute. Go out there and talk to 80 per cent or 90 per cent of the people of Nigeria, a lot of them who are self-employed; they don’t pay tax anymore.”

Small companies with an annual turnover of not more than N25 million are exempt from paying the Company Income Tax under the Finance Act 2020.

However, the member of the All Progressives Congress, representing Boluwaduro/Ifedayo/Ila federal constituency of Osun State believes that taxing small businesses will generate enough income for the government.

“So when we hear the Federal Inland Revenue Service or tax organisations, or even the tax joint boards are widening the tax net, why do they shy away from finding a way to make people pay — whether you are a carpenter, taxi driver, you are selling rice in the market or not. These people make a lot of money but they don’t get to pay anything. So I think that is an area I would like to see revenue-boosting,” he added

https://punchng.com/self-employed-nigerians-make-lots-of-money-should-pay-tax-rep/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2uaGXH0KC6mw5rnXk3eNCpYH5zdGhH6mYk_KlqrPqAGd4fc8feu8pyM4M#Echobox=1634219876
Re: Self-employed Nigerians Make Lots Of Money, Should Pay Tax – Rep by helinues: 4:58pm On Oct 14, 2021
All the taxes the FG have been collecting, what tangible things can they point out to use the money for?

And this one is a house of reps members representing a constituency.

Chai

1 Like

Re: Self-employed Nigerians Make Lots Of Money, Should Pay Tax – Rep by Stan2330(m): 5:01pm On Oct 14, 2021
Gh
Re: Self-employed Nigerians Make Lots Of Money, Should Pay Tax – Rep by Ovamboland(m): 5:03pm On Oct 14, 2021
This is 50 years late in coming, doing proper thing in snail speed
Re: Self-employed Nigerians Make Lots Of Money, Should Pay Tax – Rep by Maxymilliano(m): 5:04pm On Oct 14, 2021
Since he is privy to what self-employed Nigerian realizes for their hustle, he can as well resign his position in the National Assembly and join the teeming population to boost the tax net of the government

3 Likes

Re: Self-employed Nigerians Make Lots Of Money, Should Pay Tax – Rep by TarOrfeeek: 5:05pm On Oct 14, 2021
Very Soon Buhari and his failure gangs will be taxing Nursery and Kindergarten pupils for eating lunch during school hours.

When I government becomes wasteful and does not create. It becomes a Tax hungry monster.

1 Like

Re: Self-employed Nigerians Make Lots Of Money, Should Pay Tax – Rep by fourboys: 5:05pm On Oct 14, 2021
Thunder fire u there embarassed embarassed embarassed pls who elected these clowns
Re: Self-employed Nigerians Make Lots Of Money, Should Pay Tax – Rep by Tinububalls: 5:41pm On Oct 14, 2021
Provide jobs let's pay taxes you said there's no job. I buy car enter uber you wan come tax your papa, you people are over stepping boundaries oh.
Re: Self-employed Nigerians Make Lots Of Money, Should Pay Tax – Rep by TooMuchStuff: 5:43pm On Oct 14, 2021
Tax Tax Tax with nothing to show for it all....

God punish the Terrorists in power
Re: Self-employed Nigerians Make Lots Of Money, Should Pay Tax – Rep by Ovamboland(m): 6:26pm On Oct 14, 2021
helinues:
All the taxes the FG have been collecting, what tangible things can they point out to use the money for?

And this one is a house of reps members representing a constituency.

Chai

Nothing was done with it, all the roads we have in Nigeria grew on their own, civil servants, doctors, nurses military and police officers work for free
Re: Self-employed Nigerians Make Lots Of Money, Should Pay Tax – Rep by SarkinYarki: 6:28pm On Oct 14, 2021
Pay tax so you can continue collecting your mega salary ko? You will never hear such clowns call for the reduction of their unjustifiable salary
Re: Self-employed Nigerians Make Lots Of Money, Should Pay Tax – Rep by Idiko1: 6:31pm On Oct 14, 2021
Maxymilliano:

A member of the House of Representatives, Olufemi Fakeye has called on the Federal Government to tax self-employed Nigerians because they allegedly earn lots of money.

Fakeye said this on Wednesday while commenting on the 2022 budget during the plenary session on the floor of the house stating that it would enable the federal government to boost its revenue.

He said, “I’m aware right now and it has been said here that only two quarterly releases have been made now, we are in the last quarter of the year. That makes a joke of all the effort that we put in day in, day out to ensure that the budget is passed on time.

“I pay attention to revenue shortfalls for the government. I recall when I was young, everybody paid taxes. Whether you are a farmer, your daddy was a carpenter, whatever he did for a living, he paid tax.

“Now we have tended to forgive everybody their taxation except those who have an income where the tax is taken out of your income and the rest paid to you.

“I think our tax reform should be such that every Nigerian has a chance to contribute. Go out there and talk to 80 per cent or 90 per cent of the people of Nigeria, a lot of them who are self-employed; they don’t pay tax anymore.”

Small companies with an annual turnover of not more than N25 million are exempt from paying the Company Income Tax under the Finance Act 2020.

However, the member of the All Progressives Congress, representing Boluwaduro/Ifedayo/Ila federal constituency of Osun State believes that taxing small businesses will generate enough income for the government.

“So when we hear the Federal Inland Revenue Service or tax organisations, or even the tax joint boards are widening the tax net, why do they shy away from finding a way to make people pay — whether you are a carpenter, taxi driver, you are selling rice in the market or not. These people make a lot of money but they don’t get to pay anything. So I think that is an area I would like to see revenue-boosting,” he added

https://punchng.com/self-employed-nigerians-make-lots-of-money-should-pay-tax-rep/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2uaGXH0KC6mw5rnXk3eNCpYH5zdGhH6mYk_KlqrPqAGd4fc8feu8pyM4M#Echobox=1634219876

This moronic jackass should not be allowed to see another day in his useless sorry life on earth. What a dunce.
Re: Self-employed Nigerians Make Lots Of Money, Should Pay Tax – Rep by Blackfire(m): 11:40pm On Oct 14, 2021
A prelude of what the iragbiji man will do to all Nigerians..

Tax them all

North2023
No vacancy
Re: Self-employed Nigerians Make Lots Of Money, Should Pay Tax – Rep by Nigeriadondie: 12:01am On Oct 15, 2021
undecided When would they advocate for cut in the size and cost of governance even reducing the number of states. Norway a very rich country reduced the number of provinces from 19 to 11.
It is sad that utterances like these from lawmakers and the other ruling doesn’t inspire hope at all.
To boost government revenue why has he not advocated abolishing their fraudulent constituency allowances. Lawmakers have no business financing projects

(1) (Reply)

Ifeanyi Ubah Thoroughly Embarrassed At Nnamdi Kanu's Trial- Video / Governor Wike Storms Mary Odili's Home / Benin Kingdom Disassociate It's From Fake Maps From Some Parts Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.