Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,208 members, 7,815,222 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police (7612 Views)

Oshiomhole On Ihedioha Vs Uzodinma: Court Shouldn’t Impose Governors On People / 2019 Elections: Ex-CBN Governors On 1000 Notes Speak In Edited Video / We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by Islie: 7:49am On Oct 15, 2021
Babajide Sanwo-Olu, governor of Lagos, says the resources expended on security by state governors can be used to fund state police.

In recent years, governors and key stakeholders have been at the forefront of the increasingly vocal clamour for state policing.

In March, Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo had argued that a multi-ethnic nation like Nigeria needs state police to address its security challenges.

On this backdrop, Sanwo-Olu said state policing will help subnationals ensure that businesses and investments are secure.

The governor spoke on Thursday at the Fountain Summit held in Ekiti state.

“One point that we should not drop is the issue around state police, we have talked about it,” he said.

“We believe the amount of resource each subnational is spending on security is enough for them to have state police. We believe that after this Ekiti summit, the federal government will support the creation of state police.”

Sanwo-Olu said the security of Lagos is crucial to the economic development of other states.

The governor said Lagos hosts over 65 percent of international travel into the country.

“In any environment where you want investors to come, they must not only feel safe, they must know that you’re doing everything to protect their businesses and ensure that their investments are safe and secure,” he said.

“For us in Lagos, it is something that we cannot even play with. Lagos continues to be host to over 65 percent of international travels into the country.

“Deliberately as a policy, security becomes something that if we fail or if we don’t get it well, then we are actually even making it difficult for others in the hinterland.”

https://www.thecable.ng/sanwo-olu-funds-spent-by-governors-on-security-enough-to-finance-state-police

10 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by benuejosh: 7:52am On Oct 15, 2021
Ortom will not support state policing except it is against Buhari and also the more reason Ortom keeps shouting herdsmen so that security votes can be increased for him to covert to personal funds.

That man doesn't mean we'll for Benue people and people outside Benue don't know that.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by Sonicroyel: 7:55am On Oct 15, 2021
Geddifok

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by Nwodosis(m): 7:55am On Oct 15, 2021
benuejosh:
Ortom will not support state policing except it is against Buhari and also the more reason Ortom keeps shouting herdsmen so that security votes can be increased for him to covert to personal funds.

That man doesn't mean we'll for Benue people and people outside Benue don't know that.
And Fulanis meant well for the Benue people?

59 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by benuejosh: 7:58am On Oct 15, 2021
Nwodosis:

And Fulanis meant well for the Benue people?
it is your likes that Ortom has been fooling. Which Fulani?

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by Bewiseedet(m): 8:09am On Oct 15, 2021
The security of Imo state governor Hope Uzodinma is paramount to that of his people. Make Ipob touts no use bros do suya.
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by slawormiir: 8:15am On Oct 15, 2021
Damnnn niggar
Isoright
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by SSIPON(m): 8:15am On Oct 15, 2021
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by Akwamkpuruamu: 8:16am On Oct 15, 2021
Will Buhari the fake quota General agree to this

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by Grownow: 8:17am On Oct 15, 2021
Ok
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by Nobody: 8:17am On Oct 15, 2021
South East leaders : you are attacking our husband fulani

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by Maxymilliano(m): 8:18am On Oct 15, 2021
Interesting
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by BSsniffer: 8:20am On Oct 15, 2021
No matter whatever anyone says....God bless Yoruba leaders.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by Buckeyemedia1: 8:21am On Oct 15, 2021
Akwamkpuruamu:
Will Buhari the fake quota General agree to this
Quota system Mumus everywhere, legislators make the laws not the President.

3 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by helinues: 8:22am On Oct 15, 2021
State policing might not even be necessary only if the governors of the affected states can act as the chief security officer of their respective states.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by Lanretoye(m): 8:23am On Oct 15, 2021
W
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by Buckeyemedia1: 8:24am On Oct 15, 2021
helinues:
State policing might not even be necessary only if the governors of the affected states can act as the chief security officer of their respective states.

So that they will impose themselves as Governor for life? Or chase their supposed enemies from the state?
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by ivolt: 8:24am On Oct 15, 2021
hmm
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by helinues: 8:26am On Oct 15, 2021
Buckeyemedia1:
So that they will impose themselves as Governor for life? Or chase their supposed enemies from the state?

Might not even necessary

The governors can't be trusted with state policing, ordinary State assemblies, State CJ, LG don't even have autonomy to do things on their own

2 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by ivolt: 8:26am On Oct 15, 2021
Buckeyemedia1:
grin grin
I never knew police are in charge of making laws and installing governors.
I wonder why presidents have not used such magical police power to install themselves for life.

We know why you really don't want state police.

5 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by Ibomrep(m): 8:27am On Oct 15, 2021
Am fully in support of this state police[b][/b] kiss
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by Rexnegro(m): 8:30am On Oct 15, 2021
Imagine and yet we are fooling ourselves with this nonsense fed police set up. True federalism is the way to go.
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by Buckeyemedia1: 8:30am On Oct 15, 2021
ivolt:

grin grin
I never knew police are in charge of making laws and installing governors.
I wonder why presidents have not used such magical police power to install themselves for life.

We know why you really don't want state police.
Fayose would have still been Governor of Ekiti State, Okorocha would have driven Uzodinma from Imo state & installed his in law, so many ignorant people in Nigeria ie ivolt, the law of your country is the law of your country, go & wake your ancestors from the grave that passed theblaws, I am only been observant to reality.

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by Angelfrost(m): 8:31am On Oct 15, 2021
I still don't get why state policing is not already in place... How can something as serious and delicate as security of lives be solely a federal thing in this day and age?!

Naija and backwardness Sha!!!

2 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by UTILITYMAY(m): 8:35am On Oct 15, 2021
� Disguise!
Talk is cheap, as if he is ready to forfeit his security vote to fund State Policing. I like his tactics, second term is fast approaching!
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by harjay1986: 8:35am On Oct 15, 2021
helinues:

there is no way each state governor can function as CSO without vesting the power of controlling the police with them..... the CSO giving to our governor now is just for decoration sake because all the state police will still wait for abuja orders before they will act that why many government are pushing for state police

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by Xisnin(m): 8:36am On Oct 15, 2021
helinues:
State policing might not even be necessary only i[b]f the governors of the affected states can act as the chief security officer[/b] of their respective states.

How do you act as the chief security officer when you have no legal power to do so?
Do you mean buying vans for police or bribing police commissioners as some do
but even private companies do it too and it doesn't give them any real power over the police
when the stakes are high.
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by Akwamkpuruamu: 8:37am On Oct 15, 2021
Buckeyemedia1:
Quota system Mumus everywhere, legislators make the laws not the President.

Who implements? Trying to be smart by half
Re: Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police by RichDad1(m): 8:37am On Oct 15, 2021
One of the most sensible governor in Nigeria.
Regardless of what some perditionists might be saying.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Justice Pemu Escapes From Kidnappers / Presidential Election Won’t Determine Winner Of Imo Gov Poll – Uzodimma (Video) / Breaking News; Jimi Agbaje Exposed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.