Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,148 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:24 AM

The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF (14207 Views)

Freedom Of Information. FOI In LAGOS? Can Anyone Confirm? / Ajimobi Disowns Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act In Oyo State / A Lawyer's Explanation Of The Freedom Of Information Act 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by Kilode1: 9:17am On Jun 02, 2011
Do you know her? Hook me up cheesy
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by zstranger: 9:23am On Jun 02, 2011
^^^

I wish I knew her.

Didnt you remember when she used to host Newsnight? After Frank was fired.
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by Kilode1: 9:58am On Jun 02, 2011
^I remember her, very sweet and effective presenter, unlike all those other mumus who joined politics from obscurity with no achievements to speak of.
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by seyibrown(f): 11:51am On Jun 02, 2011
Thumbs up! Right step in the right direction!
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by wiseguy(m): 12:05pm On Jun 02, 2011
Forumites, this bill now a law does it also apply to private institutions and companies? For instance, can a Nigerian or Journalist request information concerning Shell or any other oil company operations?
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by DaDoctor: 12:07pm On Jun 02, 2011
I think DPR has such powers to approve such sha, cos recently i sent my research request through them,
but the point is, i will still get the data i needed
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by efisher(m): 5:04pm On Jun 02, 2011
wiseguy:

Forumites, this bill now a law does it also apply to private institutions and companies? For instance, can a Nigerian or Journalist request information concerning Shell or any other oil company operations?

The FOI act will not constrain private companies to release more information than you can legally have access to today. The bigger impact of the act is on Government / Public establishments.

For your example, Mobil, Total, Shell etc in Nigeria operate as JV's which are majorly controlled by NNPC. Every decision taken by the company is sanctioned by NNPC. Based on that, you can have access to the information of their operations to the limit NNPC can allow. Remember that no matter how free information is, there is always a limit. You cannot ask for information that may compromise the companies' operations.
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by DaDoctor: 10:51am On Jun 03, 2011
well spoken.
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by Natasha2(f): 7:12pm On Jun 06, 2011
great cheesy
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by enyojo(f): 9:38pm On Jun 06, 2011
Kobojunkie:

lipsrsealed

Does anyone else out there have information on how one can successfully contact the many agencies/ministries for information? Anyone who has actually tried to contact any of the institutions to date would probably have figured out that majority are really not available via the email addresses they claim.
We finally have the opportunity to know, if you have the information please make it available so we can all go head on and attack our problem in Nigeria once and for all.

I VISIT OUR ABUJA OFFICE REGULARLY. WHAT INFO DO YOU WANT TO SEND TO THEM?
THE TRUTH I MUST TELL YOU IS THAT E-MAILS AND WEBSITES ARE NOT THE BEST WAYS TO GET TO GOVT MINISTRIES AND AGENCIES. ALL MY PROPOSALS VIA THESE AVENUES HAVEN'T BEEN RESPONDED TO. BUT VIA COURIER OR SPEEDPOST/EMS THEY RESPOND LIKE MAD!!
IF YOU HAVE A LETTER, JUST SEND THE SOFT COPY TO MY BOX, AND I WILL DOWNLOAD IT AND COULD EVEN ASK MY DRIVER TO DO A HAND DELIVERY.
DON'T TELL ME UR LETTER IS 'CONFIDENTIAL' THERE IS FREEDOM OF INFORMATION NOW. grin
BUT I'M SERIOUS.
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by lastpage: 12:52am On Jun 07, 2011
This "FOI" law don cause wahala, just after 24hrs!

I noticed that of recent, my Madam was coming home later than before and when l sought to know why (since dinner became later than usual), Madam got annoyed and kept mum!
I brought out my copy of Vanguard Newspaper and poke my fat finger at the front page for her attention: FOI Bill passed into law! grin
She looked at it and scuffed a little. Still no response!

I officially informed her that it is now unlawful (and therefore criminally liable) for her to deny me any information which is of public (family) interest.
She moved her head forward a wee-bit and looked at me curiously (like she has never set eyes on me before, what is all these?) and then blotted out rather sarcastically "Access denied" angry

I want to know why "Access is being denied" and all she could say was: for security reasons!
I ask which security is that since we dont have thieves around at the moment?

She took one long, sullen look at the ceiling and like one of those "Ministry officials", she said, "Okay, l would like to put my reply in writing and since you have not replaced the ink in our home Printer, l cannot print my reply either". Sort the Printer out first! shocked

I think l should be entitled to choose a verbal reply, in this minor case? Dont you think?
I am getting frustrated over this.

And when l was thinking that all hope was lost in geting a candid answer, she surprised me by saying l should also put my request in writing as she needed to file it for future reference! She added insult to injury by saying l should give her another seven days, before expecting a response

Wetin? Just simple question and all this grammar?

If this is how its going to look like with this FOI Bill, l guess l should have smilled and said "Dear, traffic must have been getting bad of recent, or was it too much office work that is making you arrive home late of recent"? I could have got my answer in simple pidgin!

Where is my Lawyer? grin grin (shuffles for a Panadol-Xtra to cool down the throbbing headache this is causing!)
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by Kobojunkie: 4:14am On Jun 07, 2011
enyojo:

I VISIT OUR ABUJA OFFICE REGULARLY. WHAT INFO DO YOU WANT TO SEND TO THEM?
THE TRUTH I MUST TELL YOU IS THAT E-MAILS AND WEBSITES ARE NOT THE BEST WAYS TO GET TO GOVT MINISTRIES AND AGENCIES. ALL MY PROPOSALS VIA THESE AVENUES HAVEN'T BEEN RESPONDED TO. BUT VIA COURIER OR SPEEDPOST/EMS THEY RESPOND LIKE MAD!!
IF YOU HAVE A LETTER, JUST SEND THE SOFT COPY TO MY BOX, AND I WILL DOWNLOAD IT AND COULD EVEN ASK MY DRIVER TO DO A HAND DELIVERY.
DON'T TELL ME your LETTER IS 'CONFIDENTIAL' THERE IS FREEDOM OF INFORMATION NOW. grin
BUT I'M SERIOUS.

Thank you ooh . . . God go bless you yafu-yafu!!!!

I like you idea to send email you. No, the letters no dey confidential from my end. I like the idea of having access to as much data as possible. I will definitely contact you with my request as soon as I settle down. Thanks a whole bunch!

God bless your home ooo!!! Amen!
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by DaDoctor: 1:41pm On Jun 07, 2011
I have a good and concrete contact but the issue is this
I DONT KNOW YOU TOO WELL
On this forum all names and e mail addys are 'PSEUDO' and concealed.

Cos you really need have a link to get in there you know, but for enquiries and general activities it isnt needed sha.
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by Kobojunkie: 1:45pm On Jun 07, 2011
^^^ Please stop with the ridiculous.

If it is government, it is supposed to be public information. I know where my senator lives and his home address even. That is how things work in a democracy -- they are PUBLIC OFFICIALS.  Yes, that is how things ought to work in Government.

Why not stop INFORMING US of this information you have that is SECRET until you are ready to make it public. undecided undecided I will say to you what I have said to other Nigerians in the past who have played that silly game with their so-called "connections" . . . . . . . . . .

@Moderators, please add some good emoticons already so we can fully express ourselves here.  grin grin grin grin
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by DaDoctor: 1:51pm On Jun 07, 2011
you are far from reality,
anyway take care, this is naija.

and i know u cant get to a govs house without an IV or an arrangment.
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by Kobojunkie: 1:53pm On Jun 07, 2011
^^^ Yes, you are Naija and part reason why Naija is the way it is. You are part of the reason why people can't walk up to their government to make their demands known, something that happens in other countries with no PERSONAL connections necessary. Stop deluding yourself into thinking you are somehow removed from, and not part of the problem.

Again, spare me the announcements of you having connections that are YOUR PROPERTY. When you are ready to let it go and understand that your so called 'personal' Government connections really belong to all, let us know then. Till then, again PLEASE STOP!
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by DaDoctor: 1:58pm On Jun 07, 2011
lol, no be my fault na.
Take it like that and mind you i am a political activist cum biz person, but i work too.

so no tag me o!!!
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by Kobojunkie: 2:01pm On Jun 07, 2011
^^^ You are a political activist and your strategy is to keep information away from other activists who could potentially help your very cause? WOW !!! what the heck?? shocked shocked shocked
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by DaDoctor: 2:05pm On Jun 07, 2011
you are lettiny your emotions play a big game here.
yes we may be in the same cause,

but on NL how do i authenticate you?

ARE YOU A MEMEBER OF ANY HUMAN RIGHT ASSOCIATION?Say AMNESTY INT'L

Spell it out so i can get to know you and we make the exchanges there in

NL PLATFORM IS NOT TOO SAFE
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by Kobojunkie: 2:08pm On Jun 07, 2011
^^^
a) Why do you need to authenticate me? Am I not nigerian enough to deserve the same level of access to our Government now that you do?

b) Do I need to belong to Amnesty international to get data on my own government?

c) What next? Do you also need to see my report on how much money I send to nigeria yearly to know that I also contribute to the country's economy?

I would think that now that we have FREEDOM OF INFORMATION AS OUR LAW, you would not require a BACKGROUND CHECK to understand that information is now available to all citizens and so it no longer makes sense to hoard it, if you had access to it before this. lipsrsealed

And yes, you are right, I am pissed. I am pissed that I am still having to get the "I HAVE CONNECTIONS BUT IT IS MY SECRET" nonsense even after FOI has been signed into law, and we know it.
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by DaDoctor: 2:12pm On Jun 07, 2011
counsel, oya sorry o!!! i no get, ALL I KNOW IS THEY ARE ALL ONLINE, ALL MINISTRIES IF I AM NOT MISTAKEN.

An activist without a cause or platform

Nigeria, Information, Go to GRA Area of IB talk say you want access as nigerian to the Governor then see wetin u go see, \

please jare, u have failed to yield to all of my call to assist you. GO TO THE W.W.W.
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by Kobojunkie: 2:13pm On Jun 07, 2011
^^^ WOW. . . Yes even after FOI has been signed, I still need a platform to request information . . . .  you must be the genius on your block!!  Oh yes, according to you, I still need to travel thousands of Kms to get access to information  .   .you are brilliant. Thank God someone else has stepped up with a better answer than you.

Like I said, shove it until you are ready to reveal it!
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by DaDoctor: 2:18pm On Jun 07, 2011
Source your info on the web period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
abeg leave me jare, i go soon enter one loongg , meeting make i relax small enjoy NLers
Re: The Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act 2011: Download PDF by lastpage: 7:13pm On Jun 08, 2011
^^^^ grin grin grin grin grin shocked shocked
This is hilarious!

BTW: I do raise money for Amnesty Int. wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Foreign Reserves In Steady Decline / BREAKING: Court Stops Imo Lawmakers From Impeaching Deputy Gov / NDLEA Busts Interstate Drug Cartels in 3 States, arrests 7 Drug Suspects

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.