Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,468 members, 7,830,363 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:20 PM

Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun (23337 Views)

Border Closure: Smugglers Create 100 Illegal Routes To Beat Customs In The North / Photos Of Stew, Food Imported From China Seized By Customs In Nigeria / Photos Of The Exotic Cars Impounded By Customs In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Zorn: 7:20am On Oct 17, 2021
anorexicmuster:

The problem with your ideology is that if the government allows a free for all at the border , we would

1.Have our local rice industry damaged....job lossses result.

2.Lose more forex...bad news for our economy.

There shouldun't be a total shutdown of imports...but smuggling should not be allowed.
their is a solution to it but the government don't want to explore other options aside killing when it comes to southern Nigeria.
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Aolfooties(m): 7:20am On Oct 17, 2021
stonemasonn:
You'll just start a full scale war that will see you toppled.

you've not settled hunger, high rate of poverty and inflation.....

Abi, was just wandering what kinda approach he's suggesting
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Sunday2021: 7:24am On Oct 17, 2021
chatinent:
How person fit escape Nigeria?
a criminal is a criminal even if he goes to the moon. Nigeria is not working but some people left to the US where things are working and they still continue selling drugs. Why?

1 Like

Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Nobody: 7:27am On Oct 17, 2021
Zorn:
their is a solution to it but the government don't want to explore other options aside killing when it comes to southern Nigeria.

Well, either way, smuggling should not be allowed.

We've lost a lot due to smuggling.
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Sunday2021: 7:28am On Oct 17, 2021
heendrix:
Times are hard and there's obvious recession n hunger in the land and those asking you to curtail rice smuggling are somewhere in a better condition giving no two fvcks bout you or ur lives and instead applying wisdom and sense to make situations better, ur rather making it hard and even taking ur duty too far and they've now resolve to using arms
in desperation.

no pity's given over here to the dead customs
smuggler your days are numbered. Many of your people are in US prison, are you telling me that US is also a shit hole?. Since you have pity for criminals, your days are numbered.
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Sunday2021: 7:31am On Oct 17, 2021
DubaiLandLord:
If Custom officers can't stop smugglers from smuggling goods into Nigeria at the boarder. Make dem just free the smugglers if dem don cross deep into Nigeria territory... Instead of engaging them in firefight.

The FG should start letting people import rice through the land boarder.
so if you are the president, this is what you will do?
Tell me one country that allow smuggling.
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Sunday2021: 7:32am On Oct 17, 2021
Staypositive:
Ma gee
It is well....

I thought Southwest is very peaceful,
If this news happens in southeast those riffraffs go twist the news say IPOB or UGM clash with customs.....

don't be in a hurry. The names of the dead smugglers is coming up soon.
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Waffarianman(m): 7:33am On Oct 17, 2021
chatinent:
How person fit escape Nigeria?

Through Seme or Idiroko boarder grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Nobody: 7:34am On Oct 17, 2021
DubaiLandLord:
Bro, the price of 50kg is about 25-27k, the national minimum wage is 33k, does that make sense?

Candidly speaking, everyone does not earn minimum wage, plus a 50kg bag of rice lasts more than one month.

We are not self sufficient yet months after the boarders have been close

Self suffiency is not necessarily a months long process...it is a years long process.

Rice in Nigeria is one of the most expensive in the world. We can't be self sufficient in everything.

Well, having lost our textile industry partly to smuggling, I think we should try to be self sufficient in rice production plus we can't be benefitting thailand at our expense.

The Government should let people import rice but still support local rice farmers. The Government have to balance everything.

No problem with that, but no smuggling either.

Countries like Saudi Arabia, Iran etc still import rice. There is nothing wrong in importing with the way things dey go in Nigeria.

Yes, and lose forex as a result

Plus the Saudis so don't like their dependence on imported food really...though they cannot do much about it since most of that country is desert. Some years ago, they were looking to buy land in Madagascar to plant food for their nation(plan was scrapped because some malagasy felt it was in essence allowing the Saudis to annex their land)

If Rice farmers in Nigeria can't still compete after all this years, whose fault is that?

1.The same smugglers

2.We also need to allow easy access to things like loans and forex to farmers

3.We need better transportation too.

Either way, smuggling is bad for Nigeria.
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Curious345: 7:37am On Oct 17, 2021
froshdhayveed:
Nothing good can come out of Ogun state... Shior
just because of rice, people die..

Welcome to LaLaLAND
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Nobody: 7:39am On Oct 17, 2021
We lose forex? Mention one country where locally made rice in Nigeria is being exported to? You definitely don't know what forex is. You just want to sound intelligent but you're empty
anorexicmuster:

Well it isn't the goverment's job to make every thing cheaper for you at the expense of Nigerian jobs.

Americans enjoy a lot of cheap stuff at the expense of having most manufacturing in china. This has the effect of america essentially becoming too dependent on china. Just like us in Nigeria. If we become dependent on imported rice, we would end up becoming dependent on the countries that sell us rice, and these countries are not necessarily acting in our interest.

Plus the rice development did not just start under Buhari. It started in the previous administration . For once, it is a good thing that some programmes are continued.

We cannot just allow unrestrained importation. We lose forex and jobs, and this has knock on effects on our economy making a bad situation worse

Like how we lost our textile industry because smuggled textiles were cheap, and we had to help poor Nigerians. A lot of our textile industry was located in the North. That's a lot of lost jobs, meaning more idle hands, meaning more crisis.

3 Likes

Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by udemzyudex(m): 7:42am On Oct 17, 2021
Till date I never see the benefits of closing the land border.
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Qatar2022: 7:43am On Oct 17, 2021
froshdhayveed:
So smugglers also carry gun, indeed nothing good come from there
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by hope4nigeria(m): 7:44am On Oct 17, 2021
Sabadon:
cry all job dey risky, smugglers wanna survive, officers wanna be diligent in discharge of duty......
what deligent, it's bad bele of the fulani Jiadist, Commanding officer of customs are always from the north who will head unit both in South and East, if they arrest you, no amount of plea bargain can make them release your good, but here in the north, it's okada smugglers normally use to smuggle rice and guns legitimately without disturbance, as a one country, that is injustice of first order

1 Like

Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Bighead9: 7:45am On Oct 17, 2021
froshdhayveed:

South EAST grin grin grin grin angry grin

Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by SRAROFDAVID: 7:46am On Oct 17, 2021
OgunLaakaye:

What happens to local production? Are you enabling or killing local farmers?
why can't them learn hiwnto produce rice like the white people and make it even cheaper than the imported one
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Nobody: 7:54am On Oct 17, 2021
Nothing is working in the country and it will be worse by the time your offsprings grow in this country. It's not a curse except we hold our leaders accountable. But you're here taking jibe at south west. See end by the time u finally get old and die your children's curse won't make u rest in peace cos the country would have been in total mess by then. Bro what's happening in this country ain't funny anymore. Except you're still under your parent's roof. Which is more likely
stinechykee:
South West is as peaceful and quiet as grave yard while South East will turn to next Afganistan so sayeth the Yorubas.Back to the main topic:what is wrong with this hypocrital Buhari and his government?? He banned foreign rice and asked local farmers to go to farming so that our local rice and economy only for him to send his Fulani Herdsmen to kill thesame Nigerians he asked to go to farming and now famine is biting almost every Nigerians except him and those in government but resident zombies and BMC will still cheer him up
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Onepeople: 7:55am On Oct 17, 2021
OgunLaakaye:

one thing with most of you from that side is this ,you will only pick hole in the actions of this useless officer's when your people are affected, but when it happens in another region you will spit on the victim and support the government, this inconsistency in calling a spade is a spade is the major reason government don't take us serious.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Joromi1: 7:56am On Oct 17, 2021
Armed smugglers? That's something unheard of. It's not as if they robbed those things they're trying to take across border. There was no gun duel, the useless customs simply murdered 7 innocent people for violating contraband law.
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Onepeople: 7:58am On Oct 17, 2021
CUMIN:
If I am the president...I will bring the full force of the federal power against the smuggler.
I will find their warehouse, auction or dash it out. Reposses the facilities for government, shut out the smuggler from using Nigerian banking system and forfeit their money to government. Go after their personal asset and auction...I will still go after any of their adult children whom might have received money from their account and put them as accomplice.
you expect a corrupt free government to do that, not Buhari government oga,this government is more corrupt than those they are fighting.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Sunday2021: 7:59am On Oct 17, 2021
[quote author=palsenator post=106803769][/quote] sometimes I wonder if some of you had ever travel to the north or you just sit down in your bush and concocted rubbish.
Rice is cheaper in the north because most of the rice is farmed in the north and northerners are not desperate to make money like our southerners. a southern will want to gain 100% profit while a northerner will not mind if he get only 5%.
Do you know that palm oil is cheaper in the south? Should we say the southern border is porous that is why palm oil is cheaper in the south?
When ever a national discussion comes up, you guys will start thinking toward buhari, as daft as you are I believe you should be able to know that buhari have only few months to go and if you spoil your institution because you hate buhari tomorrow you will regret it.
You killed Dr Akunyili because of buhari
You destroyed the south east economy because of buhari.
You killed your people because of buhari
You imprisoned your people every Monday because of buhari
You burn down federal institutions because of buhari
You scared all investors coming to the south east because of buhari
Tomorrow after buhari left office he or his family members will never go Hungary but can I say the same thing to you and your family members?
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Mumusaphire: 8:02am On Oct 17, 2021
anorexicmuster:

So we should destroy our local rice industry the same way we destroyed our textile indistry by allowing unrestrained smuggling of rice?

And lose jobs and money in the process?

Right
and what of the one herdsmen are destroying and killing. They are just making us suffer for nothing my brother. We are not ready to have locally made rice. U asked farmers to go farming, yet herdsmen are killing them and nothing is done. U even gave herdsmen security. Let them be importing rice, hunger is too much in land now. Local rice is even close to foreign rice in term of price.
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Zorn: 8:03am On Oct 17, 2021
anorexicmuster:

Well, either way, smuggling should not be allowed.

We've lost a lot due to smuggling.
we have what it takes for us to be exporting rice even at cheaper rate but our government is not ready to do anything about it . we have the land and population so why can't our government utilise those two for our benefit . If our local market sales rice at cheaper rate no body will like to import same quality of goods at higher rate into a local market with lower rate and same quality
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by OfficialAPCNig: 8:06am On Oct 17, 2021
OgunLaakaye:

What have they been able to achieve? Despite all the monopoly this government allowed them to enjoy, the price of rice is still expensive.

Open border and flood the country with foreign rice to crash down the rising of food.
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by bankyblue(m): 8:22am On Oct 17, 2021
froshdhayveed:
Ode
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Tayorshd2(m): 8:26am On Oct 17, 2021
OgunLaakaye:

Even if local farmers are not productive again to hell with them because foreign and local rice prices are synonymous to each other so y do we need to eat local rice
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by palsenator(m): 8:26am On Oct 17, 2021
anorexicmuster:

1. I have no sympathy for the Buhari administration. I did not vote for them or support them. They are very useless in ruling nigeria.

2. I still stand by what i wrote though. Smuggling is a threat to our economic stability. It is one of the reasons, and by no means is it the only reason, why we don't have enough jobs and why we lose billions in dollars and revenue

3. Grow up.

You called it smuggling because the government made it so. Ordinarily it should be importation. How about that?

If the government wants to turn smuggling into importation, they know what to do dear brother.. And if they want the menace of smuggling to continue, then they should keep up.
I know you are up for local productions so asto create job opportunities.. Yes that's very correct but there are ways to that, it just won't happen in a day and again, the government policies are not helping... Look at the farmers now, how many of them do you think still go to the farm? Yes the scourge of Herdsmen killings still persist with the government looking the other ways..
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Handsum64: 8:36am On Oct 17, 2021
froshdhayveed:
Back to sender
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Jamesbiodun(m): 9:03am On Oct 17, 2021
I don't believe they first shoot Nigeria custom, Nigeria custom are trigger happy but when the fight start they will quickly call the army to support them, i really have a bad experience when I stay at Idiroko area, they don't deserve to carry the gun at all
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by dan2976: 9:10am On Oct 17, 2021
anorexicmuster:

The problem with your ideology is that if the government allows a free for all at the border , we would

1.Have our local rice industry damaged....job lossses result.

2.Lose more forex...bad news for our economy.

There shouldun't be a total shutdown of imports...but smuggling should not be allowed.

First of all, we don't even have a rice industry.. Myself among others discovered that the so called nigerian rice was a mixture of both local and foreign through the milling companies in the north. That has triggered a lot of buyers looking elsewhere besides the fact that foreign rice is still massively way cheaper than you so called nigerian rice.

Regarding Forex... Giving massive loans to rice farmers was a flawed policy. If you are looking for Forex, then what should have been done is to fund all export business transactions. Most are capital intensive. That guarantees immediate Forex with the FG taking its cut through tax.. If a farmer cultivates and sells rice in Nigeria, he can only be paid in naira.

Lastly, no nation in the world has closed its borders and was not worse for it.. All the world's industrialized nations have their borders opened for trade.. They are not stupid.
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by Nobody: 9:13am On Oct 17, 2021
dan2976:

First of all, we don't even have a rice industry.. Myself among others discovered that the so called nigerian rice was a mixture of both local and foreign through the milling companies in the north. That has triggered a lot of buyers looking elsewhere besides the fact that foreign rice is still massively way cheaper than you so called nigerian rice.

Regarding Forex... Giving massive loans to rice farmers was a flawed policy. If you are looking for Forex, then what should have been done is to fund all export business transactions. Most are capital intensive. That guarantees immediate Forex with the FG taking its cut through tax.. If a farmer cultivates and sells rice in Nigeria, he can only be paid in naira.

Lastly, no nation in the world has closed its borders and was not worse for it.. All the world's industrialized nations have their borders opened for trade.. They are not stupid.

I don't support the border closure policy, but i dont support smuggling either

Plus developing domestic capacity in food production is in our interest
Re: Seven Feared Dead As Smugglers Engage Customs In Gun Duel In Ogun by heendrix(m): 9:17am On Oct 17, 2021
anorexicmuster:

We don't have a vibrant textile industry like we did in the 60's-early 90's because of massive smuggling from outside. That means job losses, and a host of other problems.

We are trying now to develop our rice industry for over a decade now. And smuggling threatens it.

The thing is, smuggling of rice harms us all. It harms the local rice industry, hindering job growth, and also causes loss of forex and revenue in customs duties and tax...WHICH forces us to be more dependent on loans, and worsens inflation (since oil money is not as plentiful as it should be).

Sunday2021 is this not a sensible human who intelligently rolled out point to make everyone here learn and that includes you, Little wonder you're as senseless as ur forefathers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Arrested Upper Iweka Touts Forced To Sing Soludo Praise While In Rehab Center / EFCC Arraigns Couple, One Other For Fraud / 50 Nigerians Arrested For Internet Fraud, Robbery in Ghana.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.