Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:00 AM

World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans (3513 Views)

Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes / BREAKING NEWS: Processed Meat Is Carcinogenic - WHO / Possibly The Skinniest Girl In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by Blazing99: 7:02pm On Jun 01, 2011

(CNN) -- Radiation from cell phones can possibly cause cancer, according to the World Health Organization. The agency now lists mobile phone use in the same "carcinogenic hazard" category as lead, engine exhaust and chloroform.

Before its announcement Tuesday, WHO had assured consumers that no adverse health effects had been established.

A team of 31 scientists from 14 countries, including the United States, made the decision after reviewing peer-reviewed studies on cell phone safety. The team found enough evidence to categorize personal exposure as "possibly carcinogenic to humans."

What that means is they found some evidence of increase in glioma and acoustic neuroma brain cancer for mobile phone users, but have not been able to draw conclusions for other types of cancers

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/05/31/who.cell.phones/
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by JeSoul(f): 7:46pm On Jun 01, 2011
. . . and the very simple solution to drastically reduce this possiblity is to simply use an ear-piece. This way the radiation from the phone is not in direct proximity to your face, and thereby the exposure is greatly reduced.

Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by MMM2(m): 8:05pm On Jun 01, 2011
thank God i dont have a fone. angry
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by saudatu(m): 8:30pm On Jun 01, 2011
hello good people of NL please go and get your own head set popularly known as hands free to avoid this deadly disease. ABO ORO LASO FUN OMO LUABI TO BA DEUN TO ADI ,
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by nrdgeek: 8:30pm On Jun 01, 2011
Wetin no dey cause cancer? microwave ovens, burnt toast, even garri!!!!! grin grin grin grin
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by Blazing99: 8:51pm On Jun 01, 2011
So this MTN midnight calls was more like "Killing with Kindness". I advice everyone to quit midnight calls
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by denaija(m): 9:04pm On Jun 01, 2011
N a wa o.dis is serious
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by MaiSuya(m): 9:09pm On Jun 01, 2011
newsflash. . . tongue
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by gossipmama(f): 9:32pm On Jun 01, 2011

i have 4 fones
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jun 01, 2011
. . . . . duh.

How is this "news"?
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by Ibomade1: 9:42pm On Jun 01, 2011
shocked shocked shocked
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by Dsense(m): 9:46pm On Jun 01, 2011
OP.

Old story (Superstition) . . undecided

M M M:

You better confess say you no get money to buy one grin grin grin
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by chibaby5(f): 10:29pm On Jun 01, 2011
Nothin wrkz in ds World sad
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by naijangel7(f): 10:33pm On Jun 01, 2011
JeSoul:

. . . and the very simple solution to drastically reduce this possiblity is to simply use an ear-piece. This way the radiation from the phone is not in direct proximity to your face, and thereby the exposure is greatly reduced.

It's not a solution if the phone is in close proximity to your body. Mobile phones are not potentially hazardous to only your face but to all parts of your body. Read blackberry user manuals.
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by seedord247(m): 11:00pm On Jun 01, 2011
Eeven of this work with every countries it won't work in nigeria bcus of Black Berry Babes
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by jmaine: 11:54pm On Jun 01, 2011
seedord247:

Eeven of this work with every countries it won't work in nigeria bcus of Black Berry Babes

Blackberry babes do more of pinging than talking so they are absolutely safe cheesy. . . And the WHO report recommended pinging sorry texting as an optional way of staying healthy wink wink
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by princeonx: 2:16am On Jun 02, 2011
this warning or risk applies to those that spend time on the phone! I think you guys are save in naija cause most naija callers hardly spend 30 seconds on the phone! if they spend 1 mnts the next thing you will hear it " my credit don finish"
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by madprof(m): 3:51am On Jun 02, 2011
i guess nigerians are safe since na china fone we dey use. you can't lose both ways. grin
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by mrofficial(m): 7:39am On Jun 02, 2011
So true.
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by ufumes(m): 8:35am On Jun 02, 2011
M M M:

lol
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by Gift4all(m): 8:51am On Jun 02, 2011
I used to put my phone in my pocket, but I noticed it itches. I have since concluded, on my own without any wHO announcement, that cell phone use is possibly carcinogenic (whatever that means).

I fear for Naija, because this china fones we use here are possibly more carcinogenic.
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by Bawss1(m): 9:02am On Jun 02, 2011
Gift4all:

I used to put my phone in my pocket, but I noticed it itches. I have since concluded, on my own without any wHO announcement, that cell phone use is possibly carcinogenic (whatever that means).

I fear for Naija, because this china fones we use here are possibly more carcinogenic.

The solution to your case is better hygiene.
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by parryon(f): 9:14am On Jun 02, 2011
Abeg na everything dey cause cancer now? cry
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by Tokotaya: 10:37am On Jun 02, 2011
I pray thee, what is not carcinogenic in this our modern world- Vehicle' exhaust, cigarette's smoke even when u don't smoke, mosquito flit and other pesticides we have to use from time, your toilet cleaners, air freshners/perfumes/deodorant, ladies' make up, even some toothpaste etc. Check out the list herehttp://www.wikicancer.org/page/The+list+of+carcinogens. sad
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by Ejike3: 1:03pm On Jun 02, 2011
That your laptop with inbuilt MTN modem is included. shocked shocked
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by oladayo042: 2:58pm On Jun 02, 2011
Stale news shocked shocked shocked
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by kandiikane(m): 2:34am On Jun 03, 2011
Umm, this is old news.

Live your lives, every single thing these day causes cancer. . .Its like the more you hear about cancer the more you die from it.

Even something that is meant to protect you from cancer causes cancer. . .
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by edytruth(m): 7:28am On Jun 03, 2011
Even de ppl wer talk dis thing no even de sure. D whole WHO, 31 scientists & 14 country + US research over nothing. Una de here de drag. Small time them go say na Naija na we get cancer pass. Abeg if e like make phone giv HIV, i put am for Condom pack.
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by DeepSoul(f): 11:55am On Jun 03, 2011
Bawss1:

The solution to your case is better hygiene.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by EvilBrain1(m): 6:12pm On Jun 04, 2011
I'm really disappointed that the WHO is helping to spread this stu.pid myth. Anyone who did physics in a good secondary school should be able to figure out that this is nonsense.

Cell phones use very low energy electromagnetic (radio) waves. Visible light is exactly the same type of wave except at a much higher energy. So are infrared waves (eg. from your TV remote control). If you point your remote at your head the dose of radiation you'll get has 400,000 times more energy that that of your phone. Turn on a light bulb and its several million times more.

The sun releases radiation at all frequencies including ultraviolet light which is a well known cause of cancer. Come the WHO isn't advising people to wear spacesuits outside? Just stand in the sun for five minutes and you'll get several times more radiation (the type that is actually dangerous) than you can get from a cell phone in a lifetime.

In fact, you're more likely to get cancer from the phone's plastic case (most plastics slowly release carcinogenic chemicals). If you're worried about carcinogens maybe your should stop drinking out of plastic bottles first.
Re: World Health Organization Calls Cell Phone Use “Possibly Carcinogenic” To Humans by kandiikane(m): 6:16pm On Jun 04, 2011
^^^Its not about how low radiation is but the prolong use of it. . .

Everything causes cancer even hitting yourself can increase the risk of cell deformation on that area

(1) (Reply)

Stretch Marks / Ebola Outbreak In Ilorin / Fibroids Permanent Treatment! Good News........

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.