Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,430 members, 7,954,687 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:14 AM

My Software Development Journey - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My Software Development Journey (5388 Views)

Please Vote For My Software Smart CBT / How Can I Password Or Code My Software / How Do I Include A Third Party Software In My Software? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Software Development Journey by Seun(m): 12:33pm On Aug 27, 2007
I discovered a very fast and [b]lock-free [/b]inter-process communication method recently: the ring buffer. Fast IPC important in Python because you need multiple processes to take advantage of dual core CPUs.
Re: My Software Development Journey by Seun(m): 11:15pm On Aug 28, 2007
My programming career has come to an end once more.
This time it's because my work doesn't matter to anyone. Cheers!
Re: My Software Development Journey by AdeniyiG(m): 5:08pm On Aug 29, 2007
This time it's because my work doesn't matter to anyone

Sorry, I have not been online for some time. If your work doesn't matter to some people it matter to me if I may understand what you're saying.

I'm beginner in programming and I love doing research. All I know now is HTML, CSS and some basic ASP, PHP, and Javascript which I use to write some web packages published on my Local machine using IIS. I just need people that we can work together to share knowledge and come out with something good.

Im even writing one now which can be use to Control Daily Transaction of a small scale industries.

I need more encouragement from you any way. So dont let your programming career come to an end like that. Your work matter most.
Re: My Software Development Journey by Seun(m): 9:19am On Sep 03, 2007
@Adeniyi G:
Unlike some other people you are a very nice person. I really appreciate your comments of encouragement. I hope to do some more programming in the future, but for now it's hard to find a useful program that is not boring (business software) or an interesting program that is not a waste of time (all other types)!
Re: My Software Development Journey by candylips(m): 9:38pm On Sep 03, 2007
Seun:

@Adeniyi G:
Unlike some other people you are a very nice person.  I really appreciate your comments of encouragement.  I hope to do some more programming in the future, but for now it's hard to find a useful program that is not boring (business software) or an interesting program that is not a waste of time (all other types)!

If you are looking for a challenge. Try Game programming o
Re: My Software Development Journey by kodewrita(m): 1:59pm On Sep 04, 2007
Seun:

Thanks so much. I find your comments useful. I've been inspired to reach out to those rich executives!

HALLELUYAH HALLELUYAH HALLELUYAH HALLELUYAH HALLELUYAH HALLELUYAH HALLELUYAH HALLELUYAHHALLELUYAH

At long last, we managed to draw you back into the field inspite of your claims that programmin doesn't sell in nigeria.

@everyone else. I know from personal experience that this guy is good. make no bones about it. Seun is a very good programmer and in spite of the fact that he claims not to know C, as far back as I can remember he's among the best C programmers I have ever met. ffrom someone who doesn't give compliments easily realise that he really deserves it.

@ Seun, I am interested in how you intend to sell your software.As you know, i used tto consider myself an "Ecommerce expert" but selling software online seems to have itsown quirks and funny features.
Re: My Software Development Journey by SmartK1(m): 5:31pm On Sep 04, 2007
Hu, I have done a little Java, Vb6, C/C++ and now full-time C#/VB .NET developer. I have done Desktop and Web apps. All I can say is that each of them has its ups and downs, just as enumerated above. It depends on the kind of app u are developing , who u are developing it for, etc that dictates whether its desk or web. I have written an HR app on desktop that completely failed (anyway, still hoping it will sell), other desktops that have succeeded: i have a school management app (on desktop) that gives me money which i believe i could not have made much if it was on web. Convincing a principal to hook up permanently with net would not be as sweet as u think.
Just check ur app well and decide. But as for programming language I recommend C#. It can be used for dektop, wep, smartphones etc.
GOOOOOD LUCK.
Re: My Software Development Journey by mendax: 3:18pm On Sep 06, 2007
mmmhh!
Re: My Software Development Journey by IG: 8:41pm On Sep 07, 2007
elenduuche:

If your Software is going to be web-based, you'll need JAVA for speed, security and performance.

Security = yes
Speed = no
Performance = ?

By the way Seun, why don't you try developing some developer tools.
Based on the number of developers I'm seeing on Nairaland, seems it
will sell. Beside that, since you're very familiar with the web, you can
sell your product online.
Re: My Software Development Journey by SmartK1(m): 5:12pm On Sep 10, 2007
IG said
By the way Seun, why don't you try developing some developer tools.
Based on the number of developers I'm seeing on Nairaland, seems it
will sell. Beside that, since you're very familiar with the web, you can
sell your product online.

Developers are the worst targetted for business u know.
i. they dont have money
ii. they dont like to buy: by default they want to crack a good product and pass information on the next developer so that he can respect them
iii. if ur product is good enough, be sure MS would steal it and release a better one next VS
iv,

x. You are an african. DO business not research

GOOD LUCK
Re: My Software Development Journey by elenduuche: 7:37pm On Sep 14, 2007
IG:

Security = yes
Speed = no
Performance = ?

Well i think you may be right or have a point. Speed, not the fastest, but performs optimally.
You don't have to woory about platform issues or sys upgrades.
Security, optimum performance, and neutrality. These are its strong features.
Vb.net is great too.
Re: My Software Development Journey by ruemu(m): 10:50am On Sep 17, 2007
@ SEUN and others where would u rather advice the newbies start their journey,
thanks
Re: My Software Development Journey by Stanozcom(m): 12:21am On Oct 12, 2007
, Hmmm,

Now I agree that Seun is a 'Master'.

Seun, I'm sorry for that dumb mail I sent you, Please forgive me.

About what you said, "Analysis Paralysis, "
I couldn't agree more.

Now, dig this,
Which is it going to be?
C# or C++. Net or C++/CLI?
The middle one being deprecated has thrown a lot of us coders right in the middle of a river of okro soup.

Help me. I need the advice of someone who knows.
My Python's for the Blender2.42 thingie. I'm tied to 3D.
But I need the ASP.Net framwork for WebApps that I haven't even phanthomed yet.

Chei! Wetin man pikin go do?
Re: My Software Development Journey by alexis(m): 10:39am On Oct 12, 2007
Seun,

Amazingly, my MD and I had a meeting about this yesterday. What if we get alot of web developers together, create a business platform, a revenue sharing module where the developers and the company can make money.

The company provides the platform (servers, hosting, backup and internet access) and the web developer do what they do best "CODE!". We host these web apps on our servers and present them to our clients (over 2000) in Ghana and beyond. Clients pay a subscription, we all make money. We work out a revenue model that allows web developers to make money as more clients subscribe.

Details that needs to be worked out will be:

1. Who owns the code
2. Co-ordination
3. languages to code it, etc.

We will start this project next month and I will let you guys know.
Re: My Software Development Journey by juintade(m): 2:08pm On Oct 12, 2007
@alexis

Your forthcoming project sounds interesting, can wait to see if your company can pull it off.

I know you have not started your analysis, but would you be using Apache and Windows Server or are you going to focus on one platform(which I dont think is financially feasible)

Keep all of us posted.

@ruemu
I think you would need to first decide what core area you want to focus on, web, desktop or mobile application. After that you can start the debate as to what program to use.
But in the world of IT, things change rapidly, and now that everything seem to be emerging(web coming to desktop as in Adobe AIR, Flex, etc), its crazy but interesting.
Choose your area and language and I am sure people would be willing to provide you with great help

@Stanoz.com

I would recommend Visual C# (just been selfish) I am gradually moving into it from classic ASP, with the great features and capabilites and ease of creating application with Visual Studio, it is amazing.
But I think it depends what kind of web app you are looking, they are loads of technology out there today. Talk about, flex, Adobe AIR, PHP, Visal C#, Flash, to mention a few.
Re: My Software Development Journey by alexis(m): 10:25am On Nov 14, 2007
juintade,

When you have to use many languages to code, you have to agree on so many things. Most importantly we will agree on predefined sets or variables and all that stuff. All information will be held in a database, nearly all languages have APIs to talk to databases so I don't think this will be a problem.

That been said if majority of the code is in a particular language that runs on a particular platform, we will host those codes on the said platform and it will talk to a central database.
Re: My Software Development Journey by talk2hb1(m): 2:49pm On May 31, 2011
Nice thread dont know what tu say
Re: My Software Development Journey by Afritelly: 8:58pm On May 31, 2011
@Seun:

This time it's because my work doesn't matter to anyone.  Cheers!

Could you tell me what make you bored about programming?
Re: My Software Development Journey by candylips(m): 9:54pm On May 31, 2011
whats seun up to these days
Re: My Software Development Journey by SayoMarvel(m): 2:36am On Jun 04, 2011
@seun. About the issue of creating web clients as opposed τ̲̅ȍ fat clients because of code security threats (our darling pirates). Fat clients gives you the power τ̲̅ȍ utilize extensive system resources with little security restrictions, avoids the request-response cycle, gives you great flexibility especially at the presentation layer and they don't waste your data subscription (network traffic). I've come up with A̷̷̴ security measure that is well suited for Java (because that's where my strength lies) but can also be use with any other interpreted/semi-compiled OOP language. Its A̷̷̴ little lengthy so I can't type Ȋ̝̊̅† with this mobile phone now. I'll brief you when I get on A̷̷̴ PC. I like this thread.
Re: My Software Development Journey by Rick9(m): 11:14pm On Oct 13, 2012
Cool
Re: My Software Development Journey by worldbest(m): 12:02am On Oct 14, 2012
Rick9: Cool

You bring back a dead thread only to say 'Cool' undecided
Re: My Software Development Journey by harryobas: 11:46am On Oct 14, 2012
Seun: I discovered a very fast and [b]lock-free [/b]inter-process communication method recently: the ring buffer. Fast IPC important in Python because you need multiple processes to take advantage of dual core CPUs.

Hi seun just wondering if python supports the use of threads, as i believe that using threads can be a cheaper way to take advantage of dual core CPUs and cucurrency in general. Although threads do have their drawbacks i will usually consider threads as a first option.
Re: My Software Development Journey by Nobody: 2:43pm On Oct 14, 2012
it is almost impossible to develop a meaningful application these days without the use of threads.
Re: My Software Development Journey by 53cur3m0d3(m): 10:19am On Oct 17, 2012
Hmmm,Seun's journey so far.I'm rili amazed at the amount of talent we've in 9ja..let's keep it up guys

(1) (2) (Reply)

APTECH Products Please I Need Urgent Info. Please!!!! / Learn Design Softwares Here!!! / Fingerprint Authentication In Vb.net Application

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.