Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,081 members, 7,818,238 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:57 AM

Rattling Noise Over Bumps From Front Wheel, Driver Side - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Rattling Noise Over Bumps From Front Wheel, Driver Side (1391 Views)

Honda Cars Front Wheel Falling Out / Meet Bisi Ezerioha, Builder Of The Fastest Carburetor Front-Wheel Car On Earth / RX300 Rattling Noise At Cold Start. Need Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rattling Noise Over Bumps From Front Wheel, Driver Side by nahtan(m): 1:15pm On Oct 21, 2021
Hello,

I have a Honda Accord 2005 (EOD) which has 88k mileage.

About a month ago, I started hearing a rattling noise (unable to attach a sample here, link to sound below) when I go over little bumps. The sound is only generated when I go over bumps when moving at least 15mph.

The sound is not generated when I'm moving slowly on a bad undulating road. It is not generated on a smooth road, whether driving straight or turning.

Over the past one month, I've had 3 mechanics try to solve it. None was able to get to the root. I've changed the tie rod, linkages and tried a new different strut but the noise still persists. The steering rack was checked and a part with play adjusted.

The last mechanic says he suspect something is hitting the car frame.

Any idea what the noise can be?

Link to rattling sound
https:/drive.google.com/file/d/16RTJBQhkm0bXmLzOtW9rr8z1BSN3iMnT/view?usp=drivesdk
Re: Rattling Noise Over Bumps From Front Wheel, Driver Side by Lavisha(f): 1:23pm On Oct 21, 2021
EOD with 85k?! ehh?!

Anyways, check condition of the brackets, bushings and bent wheel hub.

I have a DC and it's got 170k on it.

1 Like

Re: Rattling Noise Over Bumps From Front Wheel, Driver Side by nahtan(m): 1:35pm On Oct 21, 2021
Lavisha:
EOD with 85k?! ehh?!

Anyways, check condition of the brackets, bushings and bent wheel hub.

I have a DC and it's got 170k on it.

Thanks.

Yeah, 88k. It's pretty neat - interior and exterior.

I had the last mechanic decouple the entire suspension. He said everything but the tie rod and linkage is solid. I'll suggest the bracket and the wheel hub.
Re: Rattling Noise Over Bumps From Front Wheel, Driver Side by buygala(m): 2:51pm On Oct 21, 2021
nahtan:

Thanks.

Yeah, 88k. It's pretty neat - interior and exterior.

I had the last mechanic decouple the entire suspension. He said everything but the tie rod and linkage is solid. I'll suggest the bracket and the wheel hub.

Check your brake calipers on the affected wheel..they might be loose...

Happened to me once...
Re: Rattling Noise Over Bumps From Front Wheel, Driver Side by nahtan(m): 2:56pm On Oct 21, 2021
buygala:

Check your brake calipers on the affected wheel..they might be loose...

Happened to me once...

Did it sound like this?

Link to rattling sound
https:/drive.google.com/file/d/16RTJBQhkm0bXmLzOtW9rr8z1BSN3iMnT/view?usp=drivesdk
Re: Rattling Noise Over Bumps From Front Wheel, Driver Side by Whois(m): 3:54am On Oct 25, 2021
Check your shock absorber
Re: Rattling Noise Over Bumps From Front Wheel, Driver Side by Peppermintflav: 12:35pm On Oct 25, 2021
I think I'll go with the brakes. There are clips that hook the brake pads, up and down, check to see if it's shaky.
Question: if you apply brakes lightly does the noise stop?
Re: Rattling Noise Over Bumps From Front Wheel, Driver Side by kingreign(m): 1:45pm On Oct 25, 2021
Have you checked your suspension bushings, strut bushing, brake pads anti rattle pins, your ball joints, and brake dust shield?
Re: Rattling Noise Over Bumps From Front Wheel, Driver Side by nahtan(m): 12:03am On Oct 27, 2021
Peppermintflav:
I think I'll go with the brakes. There are clips that hook the brake pads, up and down, check to see if it's shaky.
Question: if you apply brakes lightly does the noise stop?

No, it doesn't. I tried applying the brake, the noise is still there. Also asked the mechanics to check the brake pads and the calipers. They all said its firm and okay.
Re: Rattling Noise Over Bumps From Front Wheel, Driver Side by nahtan(m): 12:04am On Oct 27, 2021
kingreign:
Have you checked your suspension bushings, strut bushing, brake pads anti rattle pins, your ball joints, and brake dust shield?

Yes. Today, a mechanic discovered the gear seats were bad. Replaced them but the noise still persists.

Re: Rattling Noise Over Bumps From Front Wheel, Driver Side by nahtan(m): 12:08am On Oct 27, 2021
Whois:
Check your shock absorber

We checked it, completely uncoupled it, removed the spring from the other components and it was okay.

I've requested that they switch the front. Read that the front shock absorbers are the same.
Re: Rattling Noise Over Bumps From Front Wheel, Driver Side by nahtan(m): 12:11am On Oct 27, 2021
When I put my bare left foot on the foot mat, I can feel the thumbing that accompanies the noise.
Re: Rattling Noise Over Bumps From Front Wheel, Driver Side by nahtan(m): 12:24am On Oct 27, 2021
Based on my observations. Here are the conditions I do not hear the noise.

I do not hear it when I;

1. drive slowly over an unlevel, undulating terrain. Those unasphalted street areas where you can't speed even if you want to.
2. go over a speed bump
3. enter a pothole (slowly)
4. drive over a (perfectly) smooth asphalted road, no matter how long the drive is.

I hear it when I;

1. drive a little fast (30-40km/hr) over an unasphalted road with lots of stone - the parts that's relatively level.
2. drive over those cracks on the asphalt road. Or over the rough patch of the road where they seem to put more asphalt and forgot to level it.
Re: Rattling Noise Over Bumps From Front Wheel, Driver Side by Kingdemu: 6:58am On Oct 27, 2021
Re: Rattling Noise Over Bumps From Front Wheel, Driver Side by kingreign(m): 7:39am On Oct 27, 2021
nahtan:
Based on my observations. Here are the conditions I do not hear the noise.

I do not hear it when I;

1. drive slowly over an unlevel, undulating terrain. Those unasphalted street areas where you can't speed even if you want to.
2. go over a speed bump
3. enter a pothole (slowly)
4. drive over a (perfectly) smooth asphalted road, no matter how long the drive is.

I hear it when I;

1. drive a little fast (30-40km/hr) over an unasphalted road with lots of stone - the parts that's relatively level.
2. drive over that's cracks on the asphalt road. Or over the rough patch of the road where they seem to put more asphalt and forgot to level it.

At this point, I'd suggest your mechanic to check all the bolts on the transaxle subframe (front beam), all the suspension components on the front end, and also check all bushings and try to re tighten the bolts appropriately.

I feel either one or more bushing is weak and stretching or your shocks is a bit weak
Re: Rattling Noise Over Bumps From Front Wheel, Driver Side by 735i(m): 12:11pm On Oct 27, 2021
Could be shock absorber pads. Let your mecho take a look at that too
Re: Rattling Noise Over Bumps From Front Wheel, Driver Side by nahtan(m): 1:18pm On Oct 28, 2021
The noise persists after fixing the gear seat.
Re: Rattling Noise Over Bumps From Front Wheel, Driver Side by nahtan(m): 1:23pm On Oct 28, 2021
The shock absorber was checked again - it's be confirmed as okay by the second mechanic.
Re: Rattling Noise Over Bumps From Front Wheel, Driver Side by royalair(m): 1:14am On Oct 30, 2021
Check bearings
Re: Rattling Noise Over Bumps From Front Wheel, Driver Side by highcurrent: 9:20am On Oct 31, 2021
Since you checked everything already, might be that the tyre touches the front frame(body of the car) during those bumps.
Re: Rattling Noise Over Bumps From Front Wheel, Driver Side by OfficialDJ: 9:26am On Oct 31, 2021
Your car's problem is spiritual

(1) (Reply)

Why Do I Always Find Babyboys In The Mechanic Workshop? / Fluorescent Headlamp Bulb / Can I Get A Clear Car Wit 500k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.